Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

201 to 220 of 107,983 messages
18/06/2006 at 21:12
I was also at the Runneymede relays and did a disappointing 34mins. Did 32mins last year so was a bit behind that time. Went out fairly comfortable but the heat just took it out of my legs and my mouth was so dry. Just wasn't on yesterday. Done very little training since London Mara and have put on a few pounds since then and have only done about 15miles running in last 2 weeks. Better start some longer mileage weeks soon if only to shed some weight. Good to see you JEJ as you say very briefly.
18/06/2006 at 21:23
well I've had the nightmare week from hell with work and a cold to boot, so not been the best training week for me at all ! slept straight for 12 hrs last night. Binned two runs, but still managed to get 4 other session s in, and a load of biking to boot.

Crab, fck me mate, thats some bliddy week !

Am doing a 1/2m mid week and am not expecting anything good at all ! Specially cos its the day after a big cycle/run sess, but will be interesting to see how I get on.

18/06/2006 at 22:17
Hi CRAB - I agree with your points on sub-3hr.The only thing i would say is that I probably did aim a little high with the training i did (only averaging in the high 30's/week) but the Edinburgh marathon was also in pretty extreme conditions -all training in winter/early spring with no runs atall in anything nearing the temps. in EB. So that must have had quite an effect in itself. I am considering doing the Cardiff marathon in Autumn to ? go under 3 hrs. I need to follow a schedule, how long should i hold back on the training after EB before getting stuck in?
Any recommendations for a GPS - when i train i have no idea what pace i am running etc
18/06/2006 at 22:32
The reviews for GPS -especially signals receipt or not - seems variable. Any experience/views
19/06/2006 at 06:48
Hail Hail

AY4 - Give it another few days before beginning a schedule. I've learnt from bitter experience about too much too soon. Hence yesterday's average performance.
You've got to go for one of the new Garmin's. The signal is superb, and the accuracy is pretty much spot on. Sweatshop are offering the 205 for £229 with £40 of vouchers included, or the 305 with HRM for £289 with a free pair of shoes up to £80. Look here for details

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/

Yes, I do work for them, but I'm not on commission. Just giving you my professional opinion.
19/06/2006 at 06:55
Hail Hail

Proof that yesterday's course was tougher than expected for all runners. The first guy home was hoping to do 33.30 (spoke to him at the line), and the 3rd is a regular sub35 er.

Happier now that I've mover up a place.

http://www.scottishathletics.org.uk/event_files/4824.pdf
19/06/2006 at 08:03
AY4,
I had a timex GPS and it was not always reliable especially in London; also it always gave the distances too long (eg. half marathons at 13.6 miles). It got nicked a couple of months ago and I switched to a polar footpod (625x?)thingy (speed distance and heartrate) for £180 plus it can download everything onto computer, which for a saddo like me is really useful. The polar thingy is very reliable and fairly accurate (although i'm still checking/testing the accuracy).

I would recommend the footpod
19/06/2006 at 08:14
Hail Hail

Oh aye. Forgot to mention that both the 205, but particularly the 305 link up to your pc, work with google earth (and memory map), and can supply enough analytical data to keep Prof CM in statistical heaven for months on end!
19/06/2006 at 09:22
CM Just as well I didn't mention the lunchtime swombling I packed in last week too - think my training load exceded yours and your timebombs definitely ticking now!

AY4 FWIW I reckon the GPS thing is a bit overrated. I've got a Timex one (or I did have until I lent it to a guy in the orifice and I have little intention of asking for it back to be honest) and whilst it kept me amused for a while I never used it after about 3months. If you stick to the black stuff (like what I do) then measuring couldn't be easier. All you gotta do is go and run ~10miles in a couple of weeks (to allow full recovery) to gauge what shape you were in for Edinburgh then do this every couple of weeks to see how much progress you've made. The distance aint that important. These guys seem to have some cracking (cheese Gromit) deals on Polar stuff at the moment - I think they're clearing stocks after relinquishing the distributorship or something.

Now if you want to make comments like 'Interestingly my Garmin measured it at 13.24940 whereas my training partner's made it 13.435321' then don't let me put you off. Do these people realise that starting such comments with the word 'Interestingly' speaks volumes for their (lack of) personality ;o.

(Ooh 'ark at me - get back in the knife drawer son.)

Granted myself a rest day yesterday.

Good work to all the racers achieving good times - even the one with little interest in the World Cup who spent the run up to his 10k with some outrageous sandbagging and has started again this morning!

BTW Couldn't help but reflect on the similarity between Dan A's, who I believe has been known to swing a few in his time, quest for sub 3 and Mrs DoubtFire's quest for a Major. If there was a duathlon for Golf and Running my money would be on our boy though not sure Monty's exactly built for speed.
19/06/2006 at 09:39
crab,
don't be daft; the GPS only works to 2dp... although interestingly mine read 13.58 for one half marathon and 13.56 for another.

i did a pw for the first time in years yesterday. 44something for a 10K.

i'm running the borehamwood 1/2 this week on no milage, but some cycling. i could be on for a 1/2 pw this week!
19/06/2006 at 09:52
just checked my previous pw for a half...1h47 at the docklands 1/2 in 1998
19/06/2006 at 10:30
Hail Hail

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about CRAB. L'il Wayne's my bezza mate!
19/06/2006 at 11:43
PAH - have really messed up. Finally got around to printing out the entry form for August Yateley (hate ones you can't enter online as I don't have a printer at home) and was just about to post it, when I thought I'd check the website and the bloody thing is full.

Desperate to line up some 5ks, 10ks or 10-milers over the next six weeks - any recommendations?
19/06/2006 at 11:56
Dulwich 5km on Wednesday evening? JH1 vs JEJ vs NM2?
19/06/2006 at 12:19
this Wednesday?
19/06/2006 at 12:52
CRAB - stayed up to watch the full horror of the Monty choke last night. Unsurprisingly, I have been known to similarly balls (NADS) it up on the golf course from an unassailable position.

In terms of fantasy duathlons, as mentioned before a darts/ultra-running competition would be my forte. Better at the former than the latter, and even if I could only take the odd set off Andy Forham I'm more likely than him to survive the 50 mile run. In fact, I remember Fordham having to retire exhausted from a darts match against the Power. He did once claim, "I am a proper sportsman, because I wear trainers and I've been on Grandstand". Legend.
19/06/2006 at 12:55
nichs2, 44 mins for a 10k ? did you do it on your hands ?

Crab, its peak time now, not volume. Must as I haate to say it "quality not quantity", which means NADS all zee way.. bagged another 70 yesterday @ 20mph, felt nice and fresh at the end.. even went straight afterwards to homebase to pick up an ordered garden table and chairs, a true test of endurance.

Allthought that said I've got two back to back 100milers next weekend..

BTW talking of kit, my coach lent me his SRM cranks. Now they are a serious bit of kit (and very pricey to boot), HR, power, and speed in one... A fantastic pacing tool though, I was actually ignoring HR and concentrating on watts, primarily to stop overcooking on the hills and getting lazy on the down hills.
19/06/2006 at 13:41
cm,
i was running fairly hard...it just goes to show how much fitness can be lost in a short time. it also shows that running and cycling are apples and oranges or elephants and lions or....(on the positive side it also shows how fit you do get when marathon training)

question....i can only cycle eyeballs out; should I be adopting a hadd approach to my cycling. If I cycled a la hadd i'd be going so slow i'd fall off. (come to think of it , i fell off last week)

i have now booked all the hotels on route to barcelona this summer. the worst day will be 120 miles the shortest day will be 75 miles up into Andorra.
19/06/2006 at 13:54
NM2 - yes - this Wednesday:
http://dulwichrunners.org.uk

Superspeed womble alert. My 74% max pace has dipped under 7 min miles again. Just as I was ready to bin the HR strap.
19/06/2006 at 15:17
JEJ - Can't do - am meeting the lads for Argentina v Holland (tasty).

May do Cranleigh 10k on July 2 as nice and close to me. Anyone done it before?
201 to 220 of 107,983 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.