Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

91,181 to 91,200 of 107,324 messages
05/10/2012 at 15:43

That's a real cut out and stick to the fridge plan that one.  I might sell it to RW.

05/10/2012 at 15:54

PP - Nice one. If I miss my target at Preston later this month, I'll give that a whirl for London. What colour shoes are best for zumba?

05/10/2012 at 16:01

Now you're asking.  I'm losing track.  Are we still on red or is blue the new red?  Maybe play it safe with a pair of these??

http://counterkicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/K-Swiss-Tubes-Run-100-White-Olympian-Blue-Silver-Red-4.jpg

TR
05/10/2012 at 16:16

Selbs - I guess the could go faster thing could apply more to shorter distances, but like Dids says it takes places like this to see that they could run quicker too. Most folks run slower at the marathon than they'd hope cos they pace it wrong, so maybe with better pacing and more self belief...........when I was at the IoW 1/2 recently a fella recognised me from the prize presentation when we were going back to the ferry, he asked me if I think he can run sub3 seeing as he did (something like) 3:11 at Brighton and 3:10 at VLM this year.......................I told him I can barely walk for a week after a marathon. 

05/10/2012 at 17:30

I wonder if it all goes pear-shaped if you do 2 spin classes a week instead of 1 spin class and 1 zumba class?

Phil: those trainers are minging.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
05/10/2012 at 17:59
Joules, I'm not up with the current lingo - is that good or bad? If they're bad, isn't that also good?
05/10/2012 at 21:17

Minging = horrible.  But seeing as it was current lingo when I was at uni in the late 90s it is definitely no longer current lingo!

06/10/2012 at 00:27

Is anyone else imagining how brilliant a Goth Olympics would be?

06/10/2012 at 10:14

Brilliant, as in hilarious, possibly. For the record there is already a twice annual charity football match at the Whitby Gothic Weekend where the Goths take on Whitby FC. I have no idea who wins. I don't do football. 

06/10/2012 at 10:55
I can proudly claim to be a first generation goth. My record collection boasts loads of Sisters of Mercy, Cramps etc. (in fact, I even own the Sisters first single - which will be worth a few bob.). Saw them a number of times, (local lads from Leeds) plus other Goth related bands such as Bauhaus, the Cult, the Mission, March Violets, Cure, Banshees etc.
I never went the full hog on clothes though. Unless you count the Leather jacket, studded belt, creepers, PVC tight black jeans etc! It was just another passing fad for me. I think the Meteors/Theatre of Hate psychobilly stuff came next.
No idea what Goth music is like now, although I saw the Horrors live a few years ago, who seemed no different than early 80s goth.
06/10/2012 at 11:17

I prefer the Bauhaus version of Ziggy Stardust to the original.  Does that count? 

06/10/2012 at 11:30

'jamming good with Weird and Gilly and the Spiders From Mars'..  classic stuff! 

I can imagine what colours the Goth footie team play in, but their away strip??

No-one seems to have observed that CC2's fishnet tights must have marvellous wicking properties!

Jools.. hope those muscle grumbles sort themselves out.

Selbs.. keep the faith fella.

Hauled myself out of bed for the York Parkun today.  Glorious sunny morning though this was my first outing in gloves since the winter!  Enjoyed the blast and clocked 20:19, think I was the first old codger.

TR
06/10/2012 at 11:34

good work Wardi

CC - how about re-posting that other picture you posted before ?

3hrs on the bike for me today, add that to 4 hrs turbo and 3 hrs mountain bike and its been a good bike week.

06/10/2012 at 14:57

Which picture is that TR? There are tons on Facebook if anyone is really that bothered. I can be found in the Redhill Road Runners group as the only girl whose names both begin with C. 

Goth these days encompasses a huge variety of sub-genres. I love the 80s stuff, but I'm also a fan of SOME Industrial and EBM (kinda bleepy, almost like dance music but heavier and darker). I don't like bands who screech or growl or worse, hiss, rather than actually sing though. My first choice in music is probably glammie rock though. Late 80s/early 90s, blokes with massive hair, make-up and tight trousers..... 

In true goth spirit I shall be dying my roots tonight. There will be a photographer next weekend and I can't have my roots showing. 

Never let it be said that goths don't smile. We can certainly laugh at ourselves!

Edited: 06/10/2012 at 14:59
06/10/2012 at 15:00
Phil pub - yes, that counts.
06/10/2012 at 15:01

That still didn't work, did it? Grr. 

You can't go out, 'cos your roots are showing

06/10/2012 at 15:26
CC2 - if you know what's good for you, google "goth batley" on YouTube. It's a mildew battered, long forgotten documentary of an early 1980s Goth night in a small club in Batley.
Whilst I never went there (I used to go to the Warehouse up the road in Leeds) it perfectly captures that big hair, Goth/Indie/Glam scene. I would imagine a lot of those people would have been out and about in places in Leeds when I was there.
Don't bother watching it all - it's 2 hours long.
Got some good pics from them days too - inc a good one of Marc Almond as the cloakroom attendant as he was at the time!
06/10/2012 at 15:46

CC2.. didn't realise you were Notts based.  Do you know forumite Marmite Master from Redhill Runners?  (Initials BB).

I've been upgraded to 20:15 (19th) in the 5k, and as I beat all the V50's too I think I will have a glass of wine later.

Nice work on the steed TR.

06/10/2012 at 16:31
Can't add to the music discussion. Only ever owned 4 CDs. Do they still do CDs?

23 miles this morning. Struggled a bit in the last five, but great to be back at it. Just like the old days.

Well I say 23 miles. It could have been 22 I suppose. And didn't look at the clock when I set off so not sure long it took.

If only there was some sort of portable device that measured both your time & distance run. Live in hope...
06/10/2012 at 17:39

Is Marmite Master the same person as Mmm Marmite? If so, yes, I know who he is but I've only ever seen him at races I think. I don't make it to club* much these days and I suspect he's too speedy to bother training with club much anyway. That said I did run with club last night. With the speedy boys group. It was their 'easy' Friday run, which made it a good 60 to 90 seconds per mile quicker than I'd run that same route if I were running it 'easy'. 

*Redhill is my 1st claim for road and XC. I also train with Notts AC under Trev Muxlow and they're the ones with the funny length intervals and static recoveries. Redhill doesn't have such structured training - more of a 'turn up and run' kind of club. I'll be joining Notts AC as 1st claim 'track only' next spring with a view to concentrating on track and XC for the rest of 2013 after VLM. 

Just had my health MOT at the gym and apparently I'm the fittest I have ever been. I also seem to be 2cms taller somehow, but I'm glossing over the inaccuracies and concentrating on the good bits. Alrighty Munich, let's 'ave ya!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.