Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

91,241 to 91,260 of 108,526 messages
09/10/2012 at 14:52

I can only dream of champs starts for a while... but still hopeful for my sub-3 on Sunday.

Taper has gone well: after 13m on Sunday and a rest day yesterday, 7m this morning felt insanely easy. I couldn't believe it when I saw my splits, vs. effort. Hope it's the same on race day. 

In other news, Liverpool is forecast to be rainy... uhhhh. Oh well.

Anyone on here fancy the Dalby Dash 10k in November? I'm tempted, if I recover well. Organised by our local Darren Bilton, who I often see running around our way.

09/10/2012 at 15:30

CT.. I sometimes see Bilton training on my cycling/running route home from work, Clifton Bridge on A1237, Millfield Lane area. Best of luck on Sunday - think positive, rain keeps you cool!

Padams.. seriously quick swimming!  I had to read Marigold's session twice, blimey!

TR.. good to hear the back is improving.

Clearly.. fingers crossed you have some light at the end of the tunnnel, you have been very patient on the surface.

I notice Njord has been excelling of late, he followed up a neg split 2:49 in Berlin with a 2:56 at Chester the week after.  Good work fella!

4.2m on the treadie this morning, 7m with the club later.

09/10/2012 at 15:58

The thread 50km smackdown (Marders v Marigold) should be interesting!

09/10/2012 at 16:12

Spotted Njord's Chester run and thought it was a little mediocre for a man of his calibre. How wrong could I be? Berlin the week before and probably blowing the froth off a few steins? in the week. Top banana!!

TR
09/10/2012 at 16:19

Jool s- should be a bit closer than the thread 1/2 mara champs last year, when SL beat me by 10mins !

09/10/2012 at 16:31

Hello all - sorry to intrude! On sunday I bagged myself a sub 3(2.58.54) at Chester...and also at Manchester in April got myself a GFA at London next year ...so I might join you lot on here if that's ok...?

I have never ran London before...and I see above you lot discussing the merits of a Champs place vs GFA place etc. Was wondering about the GFA start - is it relatively crowd free? What other perks are there?

09/10/2012 at 16:43

That sounds very positive Clearly. Fingers crossed

He has been putting in some incredibly impressive sessions indeed Padams. It will be good to see the end result!

SL - I've got some of those types of exercises planned when I start back next week. Hopefully I can get beyond the occasional half-hearted, do it for a few weeks and then stop, approach that I normally do.

Cheers for the clams/donkey kicks explanation Jools.

Sounds like it will still have been a decent workout PP. Hope you are lurgy free and good luck for this weekend.

Still keeping my fingers crossed that things start to progress quicker for you selbs. The thing to remember is that improvement is highly unlikely to be anywhere near linear and will most likely be in the form of sporadic sizeable improvements just when you least expect them.

Glad to hear your improvements continues apace Dan.

Good luck for Sunday chronotopian and CC2.

Still got another 5 days of slobbing it here before I get back to it. Really itching to get going now!

09/10/2012 at 17:22

so the thread remains the Sub3 thread - just the distances have increased to 50km!  that's a crazy session from Marigold - but i guess Marders must be in top form too if he can stay on course.  sounds like nice running from Njord.

09/10/2012 at 17:32

oh thanks ZaTTu.  it's a long way back - have a rough plan - but that's fine - it's frustrating, but i have to be patient. really hope one day i look back and it was worth it... but if not, so be it, nothing i can do about it now!! it's interesting re-learning how to swim anyway... although the times some on here post are just ridiculous to me...

09/10/2012 at 21:04

CW - you do get a chip time on the Champs start. My Po10 lists both gun and chip and the official time is the chip time. 

That session of Marigold's.... there are no words. 

09/10/2012 at 21:44

15 West.. with a sub 3 you should be on the 'Fast GFA Start' which is a fenced off pen right at the front of the red start.  All the sub 3:10 runners are there, queues for loos etc aren't as bad as elsewhere in my experience.  You can get pretty much as near the front as you like.  It is 3 miles before you merge with the runners from the blue & green starts so you do get a clean getaway.

Enjoy the slobbing TT! 

Selbs.. similar bad luck story to help you feel in good company.  Girl in my club, early 40's.  Her family had a history of high risk of breast cancer, so 4 years ago she took the option of a double masectomy to reduce the risk to 'normal'.  Once she recovered she started to run again, but started to encounter pain in one leg.  Over 2 years it was mis-diagnosed on numerous occasions, got the usual advice of 'take some pain killers and stop running'.  Eventually her original surgeon offered to check her out, he found that the blood pressure in each leg was wildly different.  Turned out she had a badly blocked valve at the top of the affected leg so another operation was needed.  It turned out to be more serious than first thought but the operation was thankfully a success.  The surgeon told her that if she had ignored it/put up with it she would eventually have lost the leg or even possibly died!  Anyway she is now back running and hoping her bad luck is done with! 

Edited: 09/10/2012 at 21:45
09/10/2012 at 21:54

15 West - what Wardi says. Only been from there once but a pretty good set up imo. You can pop out and run down the road to warm up which is good too.

Wardi - nice double

First tuesday session with Harriers - just under an hour in total - 2 miles to a hill 2 miles back. 9 x up the hill, shortish hard efforts. Nice bunch, seem like a great crowd, v similar to Heathside

09/10/2012 at 21:55

Thanks Wardi - I applied for the GFA when I got 3.13 at Manchester - does that mean I can't be in the Fast GFA Start area despite going sub 3 since?

09/10/2012 at 22:00

15West - I'd ring the VLM office and send proof of your Chester time (well done by the way!!) They'll probably upgrade you to Fast GFA, which is exactly as described. This year as all the masses had been in their start pens for about an hour there were only about 3 bags on the GFA trucks cos everybody was just lounging around waiting til 9:30 before they even moved!

Main issue you'll have is getting your bag back at the end, cos most of the folk on Fast GFA finish within about 15-20 minutes of each other - so there's a monster queue at one baggage truck while all the others are totally empty!

09/10/2012 at 22:01

Evening by the way - taper time here. Superb

Cheerful Dave    pirate
09/10/2012 at 22:19
CC2, I've only ever had a gun time on the champs start. Cost me all of 10 seconds one year, coincidentally when I got my PB. Didn't push me over any big milestone which would have been annoying!
They're always changing things though, I didn't check this years result too closely as there'd have only been a couple of sec difference,
09/10/2012 at 22:20

LS21 - thanks for the info - I think I will give them a call and see what they say...

09/10/2012 at 23:03
Trip down memory lane time beckons! Going to do the Leeds Parkrun on Saturday. Round the same park where I used to run as a wee nipper at school in the cross country team, 35 years ago.
Wood house Moor was where we "trained" at lunchtimes, in a vain attempt to get fit enough to beat Richard Neurerker who was at our rival school.
Trained by our hopeless teacher, a dead ringer for Rolf Harris who had one training routine only.....relays in pairs. We probably got in 10 mins running each.
This did us no good. We were trounced by all comers. (Curiously a few years ago there were two of us in the top 15 of the UK vets 45+ Marathon. So whatever potential we had was lost to Woodhouse Moor.)
I won "Pretty Vacant" by the Sex Pistols as a prize in the Xmas handicap there, but promptly and naively swapped it for a Blondie single.
I also ran into a tree and knocked myself out once.
So, got a score to settle.
09/10/2012 at 23:17
They'd make the champs start a lot better if they gave you a big laminate, and special kit bag that said "CHAMP RUNNER" all over it, that you could show off to everyone on the train to the start.
Instead, you've got to hope someone asks you whether youve done one before, so you can say very loudly that you are actually on the special championship start, a sort of "semi-elite" place where you get your own tent and bogs, and get on the telly.
Last year, no-one asked me, so I had to wait until the train was pulling into Greenwich and then ask people in the carriage if the number on MY BACK was on straight. It was the only way I could think of letting them know how special I am.
....or was.
This year, I hope no one asks - can't bear the stigma of GFA. Just draws attention to how old and decrepit I am.
10/10/2012 at 07:59

Good track session last night, I'm gradually able to do more on the track before my calves start complaining. 2x1M in 5:02 and 5:00 off 200m jog recovery, then 5x400 (I only did 3 of these as the shorter reps are the cause of the tight calves, ran the other two tempo), then 2x1M, but I only did one of them in 4:58. Nearly 9M with a run there and back from home and warm-up.

Given I don't have any major races for a while I thought I'd try out some new shoes (they were cheap through the tri club and I thought they looked interesting), and given it was track I could bail out early. But I actually managed at least as much distance as using other shoes. They felt a bit weird at first (like wearing slippers), but felt fast on the intervals.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.