Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

91,281 to 91,300 of 107,742 messages
10/10/2012 at 21:27
CharlieW wrote (see)

CC2 == you do get a chip time on the Champs start. My Po10 lists both...
Mine too, but both years they were suspiciously identical despite me being a few rows back, and my own watch time was 2 sec quicker this year. This was a sore point as it was the same time to the second as the previous year! Might just be a rumour about no chip time -- but has anyone registered a different chip time to their gun time off the champs start? They might just list the same time twice in both "columns" if not?

Yes. 3.08.58 chip. 3.09.11 gun. My Power of 10

Last taper session done. 1004 miles in this campaign (since June 25th - lost a few days to illness and real life). 5k jog still to do on Saturday before the 'sightseeing tour' that is apparently the Munich Marathon on Sunday. 

10/10/2012 at 22:38
I did Munich. Paced er indoors in the 10k.
Don't miss the white sausages in the basement of the Rattskeller as your post race feast.
11/10/2012 at 06:35

Free food? I'm there!

11/10/2012 at 07:52

Spinning last night, created a bit of a puddle a la TR although I managed to absorb most of it into a towel.

Hopefully the Armstrong thing is over now as it's been dragging on so long now. Some people will still believe in him whatever happends though.

I wanted to add some photos to my race report from the Worlds so quickly set up a blog and put it in there if anyone's interested: http://padams123.blogspot.com/

11/10/2012 at 08:21
Nice pics and race report padams. I'd not realised the bloke who stood on the screw was Julian Lings. He's from up our way so does quite a few local events. He's a real top-class performer.

Welcome to YD too. You'll be fine mate. You train sensibly, know what you're doing and will listen to your body (and cut back when needed). Be interesting to see what effect (if any) the higher mileage has on your shorter times.

Good session for me last night. I put a bit of icing on the cake so to speak. 600m reps around the precinct in Barnsley Town Centre. Think doing speedwork on the set of Shameless and you're about right. Anyway, we have a 600m slightly rolling loop, so I did 6 of em with 200m recovery jog. Came in at 2'01 average which is 5 seconds quicker than I did 2 weeks ago (although I did do 9 reps then). Pleased with that though. Plan now is a steady 7 ce soir, Park Run Sat and 13ish on Sun. Will then prob do 3 or 4 steady runs next week with a few strides etc. Then it's time to kick it hard and not be shit
11/10/2012 at 08:36

Padams = both are the same (and I was nowhere near the front)
CC2 = Yes. 3.08.58 chip. 3.09.11 gun.

Clearly some kind of smart algorithm at work, e.g.

IF ((gunT - chipT

TR
11/10/2012 at 09:05

Padams - I'll give that a good reviewing later, I'll show the nippers.

CC - hope you smash it, we'll be watching !

I made an even bigger puddle today, and did some 3min running reps y'day. All good stuff. Feel a bit smoked now though.

Heard Mirinda Carfrae say its not rocket science y'day which made me smile.

11/10/2012 at 09:11

Morning, hope you all are fit and healthy and more importantly off-the-bench.

Just wanted to delurk to update you on my plans. After VLM this year decided to have a break from the 26.2 and concentrate on getting shorter distance times down. First of those is the Half, and on Sunday I (and a couple of buddies) tackle Eindhoven. PB is 80:45, target is 79:59. Training as gone as well as it could've done for a dodger like me, and I'm confident given the right conditions. Apologies for being J1P again, but been busy with work, cricket and family of late.

All the best to the 50k'ers - when is it?

11/10/2012 at 09:48

Thanks for the comments TR, Wardi and LS21. Take the point on not trying to do too much, I always get ambitious when writing training plans down!

Wardi – shame about London, you should do the Marathon of the North. You could Don your Black and White, I am sure it will go down a treat with the spectators!

That’s some tasty mileage Speedy, not heard anything about the Munich marathon before, does it have a rep for quick times?

You have the same target as me Brian, be intersting to hear how you trained for it. Good luck

11/10/2012 at 10:45

Hi Y D, I have sent you a message

11/10/2012 at 10:58

Y D, Your pb's are much the same as mine. I guess you did the Yorkshire Dales Series (used to be the Black Sheep Series) this year, by the looks of the races you did? I have done that Series in the past - some lovely village races, and very nice friendly people.  

11/10/2012 at 12:53

YD -- you sound a bit quicker than 2:59, I concur. Given all your planned long-distance training of course. Good luck with the half.

Glad it's going well LS21 -- it's not quite Barnsley, but I like to do a swift tour of Cambridge city centre sometimes as a change, including running down a row of shops (lots of mirrored windows for checking form/hairstyle etc).

Apologies for my broken post above, which was supposed to be a half-hearted geeky joke with some pseudocode and C-style comments. Since the revamp of this site though, a lot of characters seem to get thrown away (can't use a greater-than symbol any more when quoting people), and it trashed my post above completely...

11/10/2012 at 12:58

Brian – yes that’s right I did run the Yorkshire Dales Series, I came 6th overall in the series this year. I agree it’s a great series, according to the website the series will be much smaller next year as there is no Rainton 10k next year and one of the long races may be dropped. A shame - http://www.yorkshiredalesraceseries.co.uk/
Noticed you ran Burn Valley this year, you were right in amongst some local rivals of mine including one spot bellow a club mate of mine, so it certainly looks like we are at the same level.
I set my 10k pb came at the Kirkby Malzeard 10k, if you have run the race before you will understand why I think it is a soft PB!

Padams - great blog and some achievement.

Cheers Charlie, I will leave target setting to closer to the Marathon. Though I think caution might be the best policy first time out. It has taken me a few goes to get a HM time anywhere near in line with my 5k and 10k times and the Marathon is a different beast (I am told!)

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 13:02
11/10/2012 at 13:35

Y D..  & others interested in the York Brass Monkey Half, entry info here

Usually a few there for a thread day out, wonder if Marders will re-visit to have a go at his own course record?

Nice reps around Barnsley LS21, my club did a few last week around a local housing estate. The main attraction was a bus shelter!

Brian.. good luck in Eindhoven, hope it isn't as wet as the forecast!

Fingers crossed for CC2 in Munich too.

11/10/2012 at 13:44

Padams - Nice blog and pics.  You look suitably drained in the last one!

Quick question for you re: the PX TT bike - did you take a punt on size when you bought this or did you have a chance to try it for size first?  Was it an OTP order?  If I was to consider getting serious and shelling out on a whole new bike for TT/duathlons, I'd consider sticking with what I know (I've got the Carbon SL road bike but also the track bike which AFAIK is similar geo to the stealth??) as a good VFM option.

YD - Like others, I reckon you've got the right idea on paper and know what you're doing.  IMO the benefit of hanging around here during the actual process is to discuss little things that might crop up once you're well into mara training proper, e.g. discussing just how knackered you might feel trying to do a long interval session a couple of days after 22 miles, or comparing your MP run stats with people who have similar targets, etc.

CC2 - Good luck for Munich!  Another Euro city still on my to-do list.

Bri - Good luck for Eindhoven!  No longer on my to-do list as I spent an afternoon in a bar drinking strong DUTCH beer (La Trappe Tripel on draft. Yum!) on the way back from Lanzarote last year.

What with caution over dodgy calf, and a lingering virus (probably) I've only run 16 miles in the last week. Will be trying out a short tempo run this evening to try and restore some confidence before GER on Sunday.  10 Kent AC runners doing it now - proper smack-down!

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 13:46
11/10/2012 at 14:50

YD, Congrats on the 6th place. Yep run KM a few times and not been able to break 38. Will be a shame to lose Rainton. I'm thinking of doing it again (the YD Series) next year, no marathon this time to get in the way of the first couple of races.

Wardi, Thanks. Doesn't seem 2mins ago we were "warming down" in the hotel bar after VLM. How goes it? You were struggling back then, have you been able to change things up?

Phil, I've stalked your comeback with interest and you've done a fine job! Your obviously not enjoying enough of the amber nectar.... How is the resident culinary expert? Still cooking your own outrageously flavoured soups? Sad to hear your off it at the moment. Hope the tempo goes to plan, and good luck on Sunday.

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 14:52
11/10/2012 at 15:45

Cheers Brian!  Now that the nights are drawing in my thoughts are beginning to turn to soup again.  I think the clocks going back will ring in the new season. I can see subtle variations on last year's veg & bean combos being worked on... this year's special ingredient is smoked paprika, which I only discovered fairly recently. Hmmm.. yeah, chorizo and borlotti beans I think, with a bit of curly kale and a tomato base.  That'll work...

Nice one Bri, glad we had this chat!

11/10/2012 at 16:51

PP - I just ordered it directly from PX. I was clearly going to be an XL, although I might have checked the geometry online before I bought it. It seems to fit reasonably well, at least it doesn't look a bad fit in all the photos I've seen.

Definitely good value, although I now feel I want to upgrade as it's getting a bit old and although I do like it, it is a lower end TT bike (probably one of the cheapest bikes I saw at the Worlds!). I won't be riding a TT bike at IM France though, so am considering getting a decent aero road bike with some clip-on aerobars.

By the way, as you mention it, I realised last night that chorizo is probably the best ingredient ever - put a small amount in anything and it tastes awesome. Good luck with the tempo, hope you're feeling better.

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 16:52
11/10/2012 at 17:38

Padams - if you get a decent carbon aero road bike you'll be able to do stuff like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

TR
11/10/2012 at 18:12

Padams - cracking read, you had best keep those photos to show the grandkids. Re the bike, I would have thought a 4th in the World's athlete and aspiring Kona bound IM would be able to swing a bike sponsor. I'd write a few emails to local shops if I were you (and PX and Wiggle).

PP - you have a PX road bike already ? I like the sound of an Aero road bike (like Padams has his eye on - maybe a Cube Aerium), I'd only ride a TT bike twice a year myself, but in your single man shoes I'd get one.

looks like quite a few are running 1/2s on Sunday we can have a (virtual) race. Its going to be wet and windy in the New Forest (again) Sunday.

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 19:15
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.