Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

91,361 to 91,380 of 108,688 messages
13/10/2012 at 12:02

LS21 - nice one mate, wicked stuff. They have km markers on route at Newcastle (not sure whether they're bang on) and I remember looking at the 1st one and my watch said 3.18 I think which shows my "over zealous" start.

TR
13/10/2012 at 12:12

LS/RS - thats some pretty fast running nice one. more than enough leg speed for Abo and a sub60 respectively.

3hr bike/run for me, 51M/2M. Need to get on the pies now ready for tomorrows 1/2 mara.

13/10/2012 at 13:06

Good to see you're tapering carefully, TR ;)

Great parkrunning and 5k pbs from LS21 and RS.  You're clearly both in great shape, so let's hope there's another pb around the corner for each of you.

5M easy for me this morning.  Off for a rehearsal shortly for tonight's concert.  I think the Rosenkavelier Suite is enough of a tough play that it counts as upper body cross-training...

13/10/2012 at 16:52

Nice one LS21.. I see you finished 1 second behind erstwhile fredder Jamesito - a proper speed merchant!  Are you defecting to Barnsley AC too?

Very tasty 1st k RS78!  Well done on the PB.

Good work on the steed TR, hope tomorrow goes well.

All the best for the concert Jools.

I'm at work at the moment, hope to squeeze in a 5m tootle in the fading daylight later.  Club 5m handicap tomorrow which is roughly half tarmac, half bumpy fields & tracks.  Will add a few miles on afterwards.

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 16:53
13/10/2012 at 18:18

wardi - cheers. Jamesito is only just back running from a long lay-off. I think he's had an achilles problem, but his wife's also just had another mini-Jamesito so his running has been curtailed for a fair while! Good to see him back out there, even if he is a million miles from where he'd like to be. Oh and no, I'm quite happy wearing the orange vest thanks - matches my eyes!

Nice work TR and good luck tomorrow. Don't put the u in can't and all that.

Hope joolska's concert goes well. Never heard of Rosenkavalier personally, but rumour has it Chelsea have just bid £35m for him.

Good luck to wardi too. Had hoped to see you today as the original plan for this morning was York, but not to worry. You'll have that honour another time soon no doubt.

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 18:22
TR
13/10/2012 at 19:07

jools - I had a jacket spud, so should be ok ! Enjoy the cross training.

Wardi - hope you made the tootle

LS21 - none of that needed, that was when I was panicking about still having the lurgy before VLM, took me a while to get over that effort too! Tomorrow is just a run in the Forest with a number on. The Big sporting events in our house tomorrow are a 2pm footy match and a 5pm indoor cricket match.

Kona is on Universal Sports at themo if anyone fancies watching !

13/10/2012 at 20:16

Thought I would check in to congratulate LS21 on an impressive 5k today and for making me work hard over the last 1/2 km. It must be a great confidence booster to score a big PB the week before a marathon and I am sure that you are going to go great next Sunday. Abingdon was meant to be a shot at 2.28 for me but for a load of reasons I have had to pull out so best of luck to anybody else running it. I know Race Jase is gunning for a sub 70 half tomorrow so fingers crossed for him.

13/10/2012 at 21:31

Quality running there LS21, as I was saying on bookface you have beaten my pb by 1 second! Once you are over the Marathon let me know when you are ready for a tilt at 16:xx, I might come along and hitch a ride
I had wondered if you were involved in the move across Barnsley, suppose it’s a bit like leaving Rangers for Celtic. I bet there’ll be bloodshed!

ZaTTu I appreciate the offer, I will drop you a line.

Lord Didsbury – lol, 71 is a bit before my time, I am reserving all my anger for old pissy pants Bates.

17:30 is a great time on the Town Moor RS78. Run that course twice, it could be quick if it wasn’t for the wind!

Good luck tomorrow TR, Wardi and anybody else that’s racing.

14/10/2012 at 09:04

Good luck to all running today.  Get 75 Charlie.  Easy peasey.

YD - belated welcome.  Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing, certainly more than I did.  Sub-3 looks very likely.

ZaTTu - nice stats.  Pie chart next time if possible though ...

RS and LS - great PBs from the parkruns.  Bit jealous - yesterday morning, working on my computer, I watched the first Woodley parkrun unfold just outside my house.  Would have liked to have run it, but niggles mean I couldn't.

I've been out of action since Wednesday with soreness in the top of the foot. Not sure what's up, but running hurts in that whole area.  Seems to be getting better this weekend though, so will see if I'm able to get back to it in time to race Cabbage Patch next weekend.

14/10/2012 at 11:08

Cheers Dachs, take it easy, there are countless tales of injury woe out there from those that rushed back too soon after a Marathon.

16.33 miles with 5 faster miles in 6:31, 6:30, 6:31, 6:23 & 6:20 for me and a buddy this morning.  One of those lovely cold crisp sunny winters days, great for running in once you are warmed up, though I did have to wear 2 layers including tights and gloves!
The plan is to steadily increase the length of the blocks of faster running as part of long run over the winter.

14/10/2012 at 11:15

Feck!

2 weeks to Preston Marathon. My 16m with 6 @ MP just turned into 8 with a £15 taxi home. Was knocking out the miles quite happily at just under 7m/m relecting on the various phantom taper niggles that were croppping up when I noticed that one in my right shin had been with me for a couple of miles and had turned into a dull ache. Stopped, stretched and prodded and didn't feel too bad so tried jogging for a bit to see if that helped, but when I stopped again to prod it, it was sore to walk on too. Had something very similar with my left shin earlier this year, which I tried to run through and ended up taking 3 weeks off to get right. Hence the cautious approach this morning. All the training's in the bag etc, so hopefully I can get it sorted this week.

Good luck to the racers today.

14/10/2012 at 12:01

Hmm.  That's not great news, Andy, but hopefully it's something and nothing and your sensible approach today will have nipped the niggle in the bud.

14M for me this morning with (a) a bit of a post-concert hangover (very good gig therefore too much Wild Hare) and (b) 5M at MP.  It was supposed to be HMP but I just couldn't quite face it, and frankly MP hungover feels like HMP.

14/10/2012 at 14:09

ZaTTuI thought it was pretty watered down
-- I was thinking of that 30M day of quality in particular. Also I wasn't paying proper attention to those sub-100% MP paces; the mins/mile scared me!

RS78 and LS21 -- excellent parkrun PBs (that was a big chunk to take off LS)

jamesito -- sorry about having to ditch Abingdon.

Andy D -- you did well to bail out and take a taxi home; I wrecked my foot once by thinking I could still run home on it when I had a significant problem. Hope it's only muscular (in which case some deep massage might help, at your own risk!).

Nice training (and performing) there Jools.

14/10/2012 at 14:13

So, the Great East Run. Well I couldn't let you down, TT & Dachs. My stated targets for this year were sub-2:40, sub-34 and sub-75. One out of three will have to do! 74:33 unofficially today. Just as well, I'd probably have been sectioned if I'd got yet another 76 min half.

Started alongside Race Jase who, with a sub-70 target, I didn't see again. We had "elite" numbers but it was a bit like the champs start -- the real elite were in front of the bouncers getting interviewed for TV before the start. Gave Marders a shout but he was too busy being a media whore to notice :- ). I don't know how he got on, but the PA guy at the end was talking about the new British champion hailing from Kent AC...

Lovely weather for it. There was a bit of a breeze, but it was the right way round (headwind going out, tailwind coming back). I was in a nice cluster of eight 75-min hopefuls for the headwind which fragmented after halfway, but by then it didn't matter. I shamelessly slipstreamed the two fast GB women so maybe I'll be in a few photos too! My first mile was a bit exuberant (5:34) but then it was steady Eddy 5:4x splits for almost all of the race, bit quicker in the last 3 (mile 13 quickest of all, 5:31), and overall it was remarkably comfortable. I was completely spent at the end though -- I lost 2 places by failing to sprint the last 100m of bumpy grass as the others surged past me.

I was just resigning myself to the fact that I was entering a gradual decline at the ripe old age of 42.5, but on the strength of today maybe I might scrape another PB or two yet...

14/10/2012 at 16:06

Get in there Charlie. great stuff mate.

I pulled my target off too. Just. 69:47 unofficially  and I think a one second negative split. I'm over the moon as it's been off fairly inconsistent training.

TR
14/10/2012 at 16:06

Andy - get on the ice and stretching (foot circles etc)

CW - well done, I thought you'd get the sub 75, is that a PB ?

Pretty cold in the Forest early doors but luckily the sun came out in the end, thought I'd don the cap, gloves and long sleeves and get a good steam up still. Thought I'd try and beat last years 1:23:4X given an extra week after the 1/2IM this time round and it was a rare still day. Found myself running 6:10s which seemed do-able although my legs ached most of the way due to the weeks bike efforts. AL_P came alongside and I ran with him until about 8M when he pushed on a bit, I was still holding 6:10s and had a few to chase down, so managed to limit the slowing on the long drag up to the finish, coming home in 1:21:06.
Aerobically it was comfortably hard, my legs were aching before the start which I knew would happen, so I'm pretty happy with that. Could have run under 80 on a flat course today, so if I was to taper for Gosport then I reckon I'd get nicely under 80. 

14/10/2012 at 16:16

X post TR. Nice running on tired legs fella.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
14/10/2012 at 16:47

Some good HMs going on today, nice going guys.

14/10/2012 at 17:46

Well run RJ, Charlie and TR.  3 pbs, I believe

14/10/2012 at 17:46

Some great results there from Race Jase, CW and TR.

Jools - Should anyone ever scour this thread for gems of training wisdom in order to write a book, I'm sure 'hungover MP being equal to HMP' will definitely make the cut.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.