Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

91,521 to 91,540 of 105,610 messages
20/10/2012 at 19:09

Wardi - nice one at York.  I entered Brass Monkey (and therefore passing up Gloucester marathon on the same day) in the car on the way up to Abingdon at 10am. No need for an early start.  Haven't raced a half for three years, so might try and get in shape for a 75 min attempt over the winter.  There, I've said it.

Edited: 20/10/2012 at 19:10
20/10/2012 at 19:53

Thought I'd stick my head back above the parapet to add my congratulations to Marigold. Presumably marders did something hugely impressive too.

I've only been dipping in to this thread now and again recently so I'm not up to date with all the gossip, but there seem to be lots of great things going on as always, in particular I noticed CharlieW's big PB with a convincing sub-75 recently, great stuff.

Charlie, you sometimes articulate on here the questions (will I ever improve on these times? etc) which I (and presumably most competitive runners the wrong side of 40) wonder. I came across this thread on letsrun recently, I thought Hobby Jogger's post near the bottom of the page makes very interesting reading. First marathon age 42, PB age 52, and at 64 ran not too far off the time he plateaued at in his mid 40s. Someone later on in the thread claims to know who Hobby Jogger is, if anyone here happens to know I'd be very interested just to be sure that it's genuine and to find the article referenced. I'd love to know more, especially how his training progressed through the years.

Can't decide whether to run Cabbage Patch 10 tomorrow, it was going to be one of my key sessions leading up to a late November marathon, but I've had a (very) slight thigh niggle all week after a 27 miler last Sunday. Struggling to weigh up the risks and rewards.

Best of luck to LS21 and anyone else running Abingdon tomorrow.

Anyway, today is Marigold's day so once again congratulations on becoming WORLD CHAMPION!!!

20/10/2012 at 20:09

Huge congrats to Marigold. World Champion... Blimey! (Dan - ladies winner goes by Loca online and runs for West 4 Harriers). 

20/10/2012 at 20:27
Did I miss marigolds post or has thread etiquette gone out the window?

Anyway it seems huge congrats are in order.

WELL DONE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD
Edited: 20/10/2012 at 20:30
20/10/2012 at 20:33

I think what Marigold has done today is kicked it really rather hard and not been shit.

Seriously chuffed for you fella. Why not have two cigars? In fact, fck it, think I might have one for you.

20/10/2012 at 20:39

I think etiquette got trumped by awe and wonder!

20/10/2012 at 21:07
Massive congratulations to Marigold, looking forward to hearing how it went... From the twitter reports I'm guessing Marders was second or third?

Well done Wardi for getting a sub 20min at the Parkrun too

Not a lot of running for me last week, the cold lasted until Thursday and the DOMS in my calves didn't properly recede until Fri either had a busy week of work in France so only managed to get out for a pre-dawn run on Friday. Did 8.75ml including a steady jog up the big hill in Grenoble (200m ascent in 1ml) to watch the sun rise Back in the UK now with the in Laws in Devon so slotted another 5.75ml around the lanes this evening with a faster mile speeding up to HM/10ml pace in the final 0.5ml. Legs felt good, so hopefully I'm over the combination of injury/DOMS/lurgy that's been limiting me for the past 3-4weeks!

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow, especially Abingdon (sorry you couldn't make it SL)
20/10/2012 at 21:11
Going back to the drinking discussion, I've scaled back massively since my student days, when I drank a lot and did no running! These days I enjoy the odd pint of ale (quite a Black Sheep and local Ringwood fan) or couple of glasses of wine, interspersed with the occasional drinking splurge, for example we're visiting friends in Brussels in December and I do have a particular fondness for strong Belgium beers..... Tend to lay off all drinking in the few days before an A race (maybe a full week for VLM)
Edited: 20/10/2012 at 21:13
TR
20/10/2012 at 21:19

I'm with Brian , but he is DanA's pin up boy, maybe he's FR's pin up boy too.

Al_P - I like Ringwood beers

20/10/2012 at 22:15
Ah Belgian beer - talkin my language. Duvel takes the biscuit for me.
Having said that I'm drinking a nice supermarket white at the mo.
A pressie I believe..... need a drink to watch xfactor.
21/10/2012 at 09:08

A quick search of the results on powerof10 confirms that indeed Marders took second place in the World 50k trophy race yesterday  a forum 1-2 at a world champs, nice!

21/10/2012 at 12:18

Well that link gives the results and looks like frediquette has been blown away by the awe and wonder mentioned above.

Good grief, those are two awesome performances. Massive congratulations to you both at 1-2. Huge performances. Marigold top dog that is really stunning.

p.s. FR just posted my 2009 to 2011 change on that thread. That performance by Hobby Jobber is truly remarkable.

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 12:29
21/10/2012 at 12:31

Looking forward to hearing how some people got on in various races today. Impressive results from that 50k

Wardi - nice one in the park run

A DNS for me this morning but I'm not that fussed really. Notts was the A race. Didn't feel spot on yesterday and woke up today feeling totally unmotivated and not in the right condition to race so scrapped it. Just a catch up with friends and family then home later.

Hope everyone else had good sunday runs.

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 12:39
21/10/2012 at 12:35

Excellent results in the 50k!

21/10/2012 at 14:30

B_Kins.. nifty Parkrun from you, that would have got you the win in York.  It was actually won in 17.07.. by a 14 year old boy!

DanA.. good to hear you & Race Jase got into the BM, should be a good thread day out.  Apart from a short railway bridge at 1m & 11m the course is relentlessly flat!

FR.. I wouldn't mind knowing who that Hobby Jogger is (& which era).  At recent VLM's there are only around 10 or so V55's who break 3hrs, he's averaging circa 2:45!

Unlike yesterday's glorious sunshine, today is murky fog up here with 100m visibilty at best.  Had to wear a hi-viz top for my 12m run around the country lanes this morning, quite enjoyed it though.

21/10/2012 at 14:47

We have that same fog Wardi. Pic from the only dry bit of this morning's XC race...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/525963_10152192829630514_514532005_n.jpg

We were running along the river bank at one stage, but couldn't actually see the river at all. Most of the course was a bog but we did get to clean off twice by running through knee deep ice cold marshes. Sadly the good work was undone when we came out the other side of them into yet another gloopy mudbath. Got boxed in on the narrow start so didn't get as far up the field as I'd have liked - was chasing down two Uni girls near the finish but there were 5 blokes in the way inbetween them and me and no room to pass. I did eventually manage to get past all 5 fellas but then ran out of course on which to catch the Uni girls. 9th place is a bit rubbish for this league, but it was fun and I didn't get a stitch. 

(PS - I don't have 4 arms, I'd just overtaken a girl who is hidden behind me!)

A.W
21/10/2012 at 16:26

Wow, thats an amazing result in the 50k!

RS78 - Was it Cabbage patch you were doing today? Probably best missing it if your not feeling 100%, especially as its not a priority.

Good sessions by those running today so far. Hope today's racers have faired well.

A very easy 14 miles today in the drizzle, glad to say it felt really comfortable. Quite enjoy running in this kind of weather.

A.W
21/10/2012 at 17:41

Unbelievable results in the 50k, well done guys. Looking forward to the race report(s)!

Cross country for me yesterday - 15th (plus some non-scorers) in the Chiltern League. Ridiculously muddy course, and I decided I'm not built for mud. On the dry bits I was gaining time on everyone around me and then losing loads in the mud. I guess small/light is better for the mud. Very tough race though so good training.

Well done CC - sounds a bit like the course we ran on! Although it least it wasn't freezing cold at ours.

3 hours on the bike this morning, good fun and a bit warmer than last week. And an easy hour on the bike yesterday morning, so a decent weekend of training.

21/10/2012 at 17:57

Gwent League in Brigend for me; the advertised 6K course was actually 6.5K; relatively muddy but overall not a bad course.  Ended up 19th (2nd scorer for club).  Reasonable run on tired legs after yesterday's LSR.

21/10/2012 at 18:23

Marigold -- golly. Very well done indeed. (Though I see from Po10 that you still have a bit of work to reach Marders' PB :- ) British and world champions in successive weeks...

Well raced in those XCs CC2, Padams & Jools.

FR -- Hobby Jogger's story is encouraging indeed! 2:35 at 52 years old is rather special.

Continuing in theme, I had a rather hung-over run this morning: 18.6M including a 10M effort criss-crossing Regent's Park that was supposed to be fast, but proved to just be... well, an effort (at 7:00/M, best I could do). At least my lurgy is receding though I think (hard to tell with lack of sleep and excess of wine & whisky last night).

Has anyone else *not* heard back after filling in the champs entry form for VLM? I did so back on Monday last week and haven't heard a squeak yet...

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 18:31
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.