Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

91,541 to 91,560 of 109,494 messages
21/10/2012 at 22:12
TT - thanks for the correction and apologies for the slight breach of forum etiquette, got a bit excited and over eager when the news can up on twitter!

CW - I got an email back from VLM saying my entry had been accepted a few days after applying (and getting the initial response email back confirming application)

CC - tasty bit of XCing, hard going under foot and difficult to see where you're going!

Andy D - Sounding good running wise, not tried carb depletion myself yet. My carb load is normally a one day affair the day before, using a a calculation of grams of carb per kg of body weight to give the total amount of carbs to eat over the day ( and breakfast on race morning)

Did a lumpy 12ml in Devon today, including attempting 1x0.5 and 2x1ml at 10ml pace, but like CW I didn't really get there, managing 6:00/ml instead of 05:45

Waiting with baited breath for Abo results.....
21/10/2012 at 22:13

Amazing results from northern Italy yesterday....lots of very hard work and talent can go a long way. Hats off to both... 

21/10/2012 at 22:35
Evening all,

Firstly just want to echo all the Mar-love going on for both Marigold and marders.superb doesn't really do it justice - amazing stuff!! Just awaiting CRAB's post where he says they were 'reasonable'

Will read back properly tomorrow (on phone at mo and signal is dodgy). But scores on the doors today at Abo was a 2'53'03 for me. Chuffed with that, although wish I'd found another 4 seconds from somewhere!

I ran the first half to HR - hit 9 miles in 1 hour exactly (6'40 pace) and then halfway in 1'26'45. So I ran a circa 30 second negative split. Was hard but I finished strongly and passed quite a lot late on. Was an important race for me on a personal level with the whole brother thing, and it was great that my Mum and Dad were there too. Quite a poignant day, emotional at times and very cathartic, but really pleased to have ran a solid race.

Also one of the highlights was seeing a bloke who I'd never met before today break 3 hours. We ran the first 16 miles together, and after 12 or so years of trying he not only broke 3 hours - he smashed it with a 2'54'xx (I think). He was in tears at the end cos he'd finally done it. Was great to see and to warmly congratulate him. What it's all about really, and why we do what we do.

Also great to catch up with Dan, and to have a few beers with Jock Itch after. Both lovely fellas and was great to see them both.

All in all a top day and a superb race. My favourite marathon by some distance I think, and I much preferred Abo to London.
21/10/2012 at 23:23
Nice one LS21. Congrats, great stuff.
21/10/2012 at 23:36
Cheers selbs and thanks once again for the place. I thought about you quite a bit today actually - when I was struggling and wanted to chuck it in I thought about how you'd have loved to have been out there, and your whole knee injury etc. Wish I hadn't taken YOUR number cos would have preferred you to run, but I was very very grateful for the place. Abingdon has given me a real focus for the 3 months or so, and helped me dig myself out of a dark hole. It's been a good weekend for both me and my folks, so thanks mate - I owe you many many beers!!
21/10/2012 at 23:59

LS21 that's superb mate and after all you have been through a very special day. Well done! I want to write more but somehow they seem trite. You know what that has meant. So, huge congratulations. I'm looking forward to seeing you some time for a beer!

22/10/2012 at 08:26

LS21 - great stuff, well done!!! So pleased for you...you've had a really tough time, it is good to hear that running can you smile (and other people cry!). 

22/10/2012 at 08:33

I'd cry as well if I got beat by LS21

Fcuking brilliant mate.  Nailed one good and proper.  Reckon Nige ran most of the second half though - where did that neg split come from??!

Edited: 22/10/2012 at 08:35
22/10/2012 at 08:46

I must follow suit in giving LS21 a big pat on the back.

Not many of us can do sub-3 and negative split

22/10/2012 at 08:58

Very nice negative split, LS21.  Take that over the 4 seconds, any day, surely?!

22/10/2012 at 09:01

Quality stuff LS21. Sounds like a good day.

22/10/2012 at 09:10

Nice one LS21, top work..

18 yesterday, glad I didn't race abo

22/10/2012 at 09:40

SL, You made a tough but very sensible call. It will work out well for you I'm sure. Some quality stuff over the next few weeks culinating in you nailing the half next month. Train smart.....

22/10/2012 at 12:34

Fantastic, well done LS21.

(Don't remind me of selbs' last performance at Abo though, I was a bit too close to it at 15-ish miles in that ditch :- ).

Thanks on the feedback re champs entries everyone. It seems their system doesn't like sending to my usual email address (they retried and I still didn't get it), but it got to my work email instead OK so I've paid up and entered now. But of course I might have got a slightly lower number without that hitch ;- ).

22/10/2012 at 13:00

LS21 - well done again mate on a very nicely executed race.

I DNF'd at Abo. Simply not fit enough for sub 3 running yet.  Hit a wall at halfway (1.29) and knew it wasn't going to happen, so jogged to 18 and dropped.  Not a big deal, as wasn't a target race.  Will head off to France in two weeks with a plan to run no quicker than 3.15 pace, and just enjoy a new marathon in a nice place.  Loads of work to do over the winter. Strangely looking forward to it.

On the plus side, my bro finished his first marathon in 5h04 which he was well pleased with. All relative I suppose.

22/10/2012 at 13:48

LS21 - fantastic race, well deserved after all you've gone through.

Dan A - probably sensible to drop out, but doesn't that mean eternal ribbing from your brother for "beating" you?

Very disappointed not to have seen any 50k reports yet. Come on guys! It's almost as though they're enjoying a few days in Italy afterwards rather than getting on t'internet immediately afterwards.

22/10/2012 at 13:51

By the way, I wrote a new post on my blog about my training for the last few weeks and next couple of months. Would be interested to know if you knowledgable people think I can run a half-decent 45M race in January with this approach. It's only a B race so can always walk the last 10M or so if needed (or drop out).

22/10/2012 at 15:22

Great results for M&M in the 50k, that's seriously impressive.

LS21 - well done at Abo, you deserved a good day out.

Wardi - nice run at the parkrun, that's a good improvement and to think it's only a few months since you were having a wobble, must be good to be back.  Good 5k for BKins too.

Andy D - good news about your shin and this week shouldn't stress it so you should be good to go.

Better, although mixed, week for me last week, seemed to have a weird bug in the middle which I felt fine with but just couldn't run.  Ended up doing a nightmare 10M which turned into 8M but I had to stop and rest every mile and I was only going about 8mm pace.  The next day I tried a 4M easy run which I bailed on after a mile and jogged back home.  From Friday morning I did 4M, 10M, 10M, 16M and felt good on all of those runs and ended up over 60M for the week and my calf/shin is fine so I'm hoping I'm off the bench now.

22/10/2012 at 15:33

Marigold - great report. Massively impressed with mile 31, picking up the pace at that point. I also read the official report - love the fact that it says you "sprinted" to catch up the Zimbabwean, when you compare that to the description in your report!

22/10/2012 at 15:34

Nice blog, Padams.

That's a real bounceback recovery, LJ.  Glad to hear the calf/shin is improving, but don't be tempted to do too much too soon post-recovery!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.