Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

91,801 to 91,820 of 108,554 messages
03/11/2012 at 21:52

Evening all

Al_P - top stuff on the sub-17'00 - a good breakthrough!

njord - a superb report!!  

TR - nice pedalling

JAP - hope you can enjoy NY anyway. Maybe sounds like not running the Mara is a wise move, but you still must be gutted.

Great Park Running from RS and wardi - another sub-20 wardi! Great to see!!

joolska - I did actually see you very briefly today, but you were anxiously peering over the fence to see your Leg 1 runner coming in. So I didn't want to shout over and distract you. I was a fair way away anyway, so we couldn't exactly have had a chat! Well done anyway though - pretty good time today I think.

Like joolska I was also at the Nationals. I was on Leg 2 too. Our race was 5k, and pretty much the same course as the fillies (the Ladies do an extra small loop and only one lap, the Men's is 2 laps) - so yes, a bit lumpy but quite an enjoyable route. I managed to clock 19'34 which I was pleased with - I ran 20'36 on the same course last year (although it was a bit muddier then). Our team finished 105th, and as I came to finish my second lap the leaders lapped me! Still I managed to make up 17 places on my leg, so that's a few folk who are worse than me at this running lark     Good day though - enjoyed it.

03/11/2012 at 22:19

Nice work at the Nationals Jools & LS21, good pace on the mud there!

Officially 19:56 at the Parkrun so closer than I thought!  Still, 1st old gimmer plus I beat all the fresher faced V50's as well.  Happy days.  I'm off on hols with Mrs Wardi & a few mates tomorrow to southern Turkey, walking & climbing the Lycian Way.  I'm sure thirsts will be thoroughly quenched in the evenings!  25 degrees down there so I should be able to put the shorts & singlet back on.   Should be able to squeeze a run or two in.

A.W
03/11/2012 at 23:08

Nice milestone reached with the 5k Al_P and good parkruns, strong runs in the XC by Joolska and LS21. Thats bad luck with NY too for JAP, thought they might use it to raise spirits in the city.

Was planning to parkrun myself today, but got bogged down with DIY this morning! Managed to get out this evening just before dark, was really nice evening for it. Got 10 done with the last 3 or 4 at MP. Another 10 or 15 tomorrow depending on how I feel.

Hope all goes well for racers tomorrow.

A.W
TR
03/11/2012 at 23:44

well played Wardi, Jools and LS21

Wardi - great to see you enjoying it again. You put in some hard yards and they are paying off now.

CW - Dunkirk spirit to put a race on doesnt come into it, theres homeless and powerless, resources are needed elsewhere. Its a shame for folks like Jap but its only running. Plus there'd be riots by some of the powerless and homeless if it went ahead. 

Edited: 03/11/2012 at 23:50
04/11/2012 at 12:42
Morning all, err afternoon! Congrats on the sub17 al_p.
Good relaying ls21 and jools.
Consistently good parkrunning from fellow dodger Wardi.
Top biking TR.

A bit hungover today from a Guinness fest at Wetherby races yesterday.
4 winners too so a good day all round. Can't see me getting out today as we are going to NY on wed, then on to Vegas Sunday. Looks like we starting packing and sorting itinerary today.
04/11/2012 at 15:40

Sorry Al_P, I missed your 5k milestone -- well done!

TR -- I hear that lots of NYC marathon entrants want to volunteer in the clean-up effort instead; it would be great PR if they got to wear their race numbers while doing so...

Lode HM for me today, a low-key village race. I wasn't worrying about time, and decided to treat it as a training/dress rehearsal race unless I actually found myself in contention. Which left me free to worry about racing and placing, which was fun. The weather was minging -- light rain that became heavy, a stiff wind, and cold. I wore a long-sleeved top, gloves, and longer shorts this time, and was glad of them. Still got a bit hypothermic when I tried a brief cool-down (more of a freeze-down), and ditched it before I hurt myself.

Anyway, after an easy mile with the wind (5:36), the rest of the first half was into the wind, so I tucked in shamefully behind 2nd and exploited his efforts (avg 6:04/M) until the turn-around (by which time we'd taken in an impromptu cross-country section due to National Trust path repairs). I actually got a bit bored waiting for the turnaround when I knew things would get more interesting -- could I take and hold off 2nd at that point? Any chance of reeling in the leader who got to 47 sec ahead? As soon as we turned I guiltily dropped my now-spent shelter guy and gradually, oh so gradually, made up ground on the leader; I was counting my own paces to reach features he had passed, and it was 100, then 90, then 80 for quite a while... thought of not bothering... then 70, etc. Now averaging 5:43/M. Finally caught him at 11M and gave it some welly to discourage him from chasing me. With the race safely in the bag, the last windward mile was slow (6:10) and I actually had a bit of a chat with a bike marshall as I didn't need to kill myself.

Nice to have a win! And tactically pleasing. But it was a very small affair, no results yet but I think the entry limit was 200. 1:17:54 officially, which was OK for the conditions -- the guy in second (VLM worker!) got 1:15:14 last week in the Run to the Beat HM (so his legs won't have been too fresh anyway). No course measurement certificate, anyway. Next stop St Neots HM in 2 weeks...

Nice to meet new forumite AW at the end BTW (that's the advantage of having a mugshot avatar!).

Edited: 04/11/2012 at 16:08
04/11/2012 at 16:08

Congrats on the win, Charlie.  Even if there isn't a course certificate it's still a victory for the scrapbook and sounds like you reaped the rewards of going out steadily (and drafting!).

15M for me; a bimble at 8.20m/m but in fairness there were a few hills and some offroad mud thrown in.  Thankfully (from a runner's perspective) Bristol avoided the 3in of snow which was dumped on Bath just down the road!

04/11/2012 at 17:19

Forgot to say well done on your nationals stint Jools (and LS), and overall you've had quite a weekend there now...

04/11/2012 at 18:24

AL_P - nice barrier broken in the 5k. I know that bit of prom pretty well!

RS and Wardi - good efforts in the 5ks too.

JAP - it may have been the right decision to cancel the marathon, but gutting that they left it so late that virtually all of the runners would have travelled there by then. Hope you had a good weekend anyway.

Njord - classic race report, I don't know what to say really!

Joolska and LS21- well done at the relays. I did that a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Good to see the 'proper' runners racing!

CW - nice win! I enjoy racing for position much more than for time too.

I had a really good weekend. About 3h10 on the bike yesterday - it was pretty windy and no one else seemed to want to be on the front, so I ended up working a bit harder than planned. Sister-in-laws birthday last night, so a bit of a late night and a few drinks (and cake!), but not too bad.

Then Stevenage HM this morning. Like CW, I was just treating it as a bit of fun, racing for position. The weather was awful on the way there - flooded roads all over the place and I drove past a car facing the wrong way on the central reservation on the A1! But the rain eased off a bit by the start, and stopped during the race, and it wasn't too cold (vest only) so the only minor issue was that it was a bit breezy.

I'd seen the start list and couldn't spot anyone particularly fast. We set off and I found myself in the lead pretty much immediately, which wasn't the plan. But without a particularly fast start I started to open up a bit of a gap so just went with it and was pulling away about 10s/mile. Miles were pretty consistent around 5:30s (+/-10s for undulations/wind). Around 8M there was a bit where you turned and could see way back, and it looked like I had about a minute, then at 10M there was an out-and-back where I timed the gap at 75s. So didn't push it too hard and finished in 72:49 by my watch. 2nd place was a teammate who just dipped under 74 for a PB, so he was pleased.

Pleased with that overall as conditions weren't great and I had plenty left in the tank. CV-wise it didn't feel hard at all - the limiting factor if I'd had to carry on for a few more miles would have been my hamstrings as I could feel very slight twinges when I was working a bit harder up the hills. I think that's because I haven't run further than 10k at a hard pace for a long time.

Right, think it must be time for a beer (can justify it as celebratory!).

04/11/2012 at 19:32
cw, lol on the taper comment. congrats on the win.
04/11/2012 at 20:27

Padams: you do get to see quite a lot of 'cross country royalty'.  But only briefly, because they are so blimming fast!

TR
04/11/2012 at 20:31

excellent work Padams and CW, two race reports and two wins, no pressure on the next person to post a race report then !

04/11/2012 at 20:46

Cor Padams, that was about 3 quality grades above my race today, and in I guess much the same wind -- borne alone, in your case, and with consummate ease. Special stuff.

04/11/2012 at 21:20

Meh.  It lost the bit where I said 'well done today, btw'.  Pants.  Well done, Padams.  Cruising to a victory!

A.W
04/11/2012 at 21:28

Congratulations on your wins Padams and CW in pretty awful weather, it was good to meet you earlier CW and I could say good to put a face to the name, but like you say with a mugshot avatar it was pretty easy to recognise you.

I wasn't racing at the half today, went along to watch my brother. Got him to drop me off on the way home and had a good 14 miler. I think I prefer point to point runs as there's no temptation or easy way to can it, or cut it short.

A.W
04/11/2012 at 23:30

Paddams and CW superb runs! Inspiring to read. your 1st places deserve big congratulations.

Joolska and LS21 well done at the xc nationals - great work from the pair of you.

Wardi / RS / Al_P and others excellent park and shorter runs.

Njord brilliant race report and performances that day. Love your approach to running! Truly inspirational. No-one can call themselves a runner until they've had to crap outdoors etc. etc.

Apologies if I've missed others out.

So I'm half-tempted to go for it Feb / March. Anyone know anything much about the marathons at:

Seville
Milan
Rotterdam (Njord?)
Barcelona 

Edited: 04/11/2012 at 23:30
05/11/2012 at 08:16

HR - Barcelona is fantastic as I (and Dan) have described a few times before! My favourite marathon of the dozen or so I've done.

05/11/2012 at 08:46

Padams - congrats on the win, you're flying at the moment

CW  - Nice tactics and congrats, interesting info about the my.

Jools - well run at the nationals and sounds like a fun long muddy run in Bristol.

Njord - Wowwers.

Wardi - Another great parkrun, congrats on the win.

Jap - Tough luck on NY, sounds like you could do with a rest though.

05/11/2012 at 09:13

Like the Barca recommendation Paddams have never been to the city. My only concern is that I'm going to crank it up for a serious crack at sub 2h50 I'd ideally like a fast course, so next question is did you notice the inclines much? Do you think that's a factor at all? I've lost my Devon training legs now that I run in London.

Talking of which, my day off so off out for a long run.

05/11/2012 at 09:23

HR - I would say Barca is at least as fast as London. There are no real inclines (worst is the last km, which is probably a gradient of about 2%, if that), less congested than London, and a much more enjoyable route to distract you from the pain! Plus it's logistically easy so you won't have any hanging around/travelling on the morning of the race.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.