Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

91,861 to 91,880 of 109,182 messages
09/11/2012 at 10:19

Al_P - Great effort, sounds like a tough race.

AW - That's a fair old weekend's running you've got lined up. Good excuse for eating loads I reckon.

I did my favourite pre-race final tune-up run last night, 6M w/ 3M tempo @ 5:36/m.  Felt reasonably fresh at the end and legs definitely feeling strong.  Even better news, the weather looks pretty tame for Sunday, so should be able to avoid hypothermia.

Good luck to RS and anyone else racing this weekend.

Edited: 09/11/2012 at 10:19
09/11/2012 at 10:35

Very nicely done in tough conditions Al_P. There are many things that can affect Garmins, so don't worry about it and just take it as an official pb, especially as it's gone up on Pof10. That's some week for someone who has just raced a 10m.

Interesting with the drinks for sub-2:45 runners Dids. Worth remembering.

AW - you sound like you need to ease off a bit. Just chill out for a day or two and jog instead of doing anything more strenuous. I presume you haven't got a target race anytime soon so why pressure yourself?

SL - sounds fab. I've got no routes anything like that around here

I never managed the 20m on Wednesday - work issues; but did manage to fit in an easy paced 12m. Cold is pretty much gone now. A nice double yesterday with some 20s/40s strides in the pm was my first quicker running since last Monday week, and I'm planning on a bit of hillwork on the way home this evening. With a rest day tomorrow and a medium planned for Sunday, I should either be very close to, or just over the ton for the first time since pre-Berlin.

09/11/2012 at 11:24

Some nice training going on folks

Cracking 10 miler from Al_P too - excellent time in those conditions.

Cheers for the info re Frankfurt LD - am very tempted, although I did REALLY enjoy Abingdon this year. Will see....

Not doing too much this end. Enjoying a drop in mileage post-Mara, so just running every other day it seems - but I am doing some quicker stuff and enjoying it. Had a club session Wed where I did 12 x 400m (on a rolling tarmac route) off 30 secs recovery as part of a 10 miler. Reps were all in the 77-80 sec range, so happy enough with that. I've targeted a 10 mile race at the start of December, so with that in mind I'm doing some mile reps ce soir at target 10 mile race pace (5'55-6'00) off about 60 secs jog recovery. See how that goes.

Bit of XC and then out for a curry 3 weekends on the trot before then though! The food of champions

Cheerful Dave    pirate
09/11/2012 at 11:33

I don't think my final tune-up this lunchtime is going to be that quick, pp!  My race strategy is to let you go and blow up on the first run, then hunt you down like a dog on the second run.  Or most likely I won't see you at all!  Weather looks good for sunday though.

09/11/2012 at 12:01

Heh!  Excellent plan CD!  I think my strategy was to head out at something like MP (not that I've run one for over three years) and see what happens.  Does that sound about right?  Also I'm not familiar with the whole course, as I've only ever been up the zig-zag and Boxhill Road, then straight back up into town along Dorking Road.  There's obviously some downhill at some point, but is it all quite gradual and quick to run, or any more up and down involved? Will I knacker my quads or can I let rip a bit?

09/11/2012 at 12:12

PP - I can't remember exactly but the first mile or so is fairly flat (you'll know this bit), then you take a very sharp left turn and there's a bit of a drag uphill for maybe half a mile. The next couple of miles are mainly downhill - generally not too steep but there are a couple of steeper bits (which hammer your quads nicely). There are some nice flat sections along the bottom road (can't remember the name), although it's a bit narrow so need to be careful of traffic on the bike, especially when you're lapping people. You'll knacker your quads whatever happens I'm afraid!

I would say MP is a bit conservative for the first run - I managed well under 6 min/mile fot the 2nd run (which was probably around MP at the time), and the first run was significantly quicker (about 4 mins IIRC). HMP is probably more like it. Although I accept no responsibility for blow-ups etc.

Good luck guys!

09/11/2012 at 12:40
Go out at 5k pace and man up! You can then free-wheel all the downhill bits of the bike route before popping a one-handed wheelie as you cross the line, and then head out at 5k pace again.

Simples innit.
TR
09/11/2012 at 13:24

PP - its the ruined quads for the next week thats is more of a problem  !

TR
09/11/2012 at 13:37

.....and CW needs to have a word with you about your tapering strategy !

Cheerful Dave    pirate
09/11/2012 at 14:36

PP, from transition you go along Boxhill Road, which is flat/undulating, then once you're past the last shops (Dauphin Cycles being one) there's a nice easy descent to the sharp left padams mentions.  Short rise for 400m, then flat to Headley Village.  Just past the cricket pitch you turn left and there's a steep descent through the village.  Steep enough to kill quads, unfortunately.  Once through the village you turn left again (you're running steeply downhill so it's bad enough running, wait till you get there on the bike!) onto Headley Road which turns into Lodgebottom Lane.  Quite where they expect you to lodge your bottom I've never discovered.  Apart from a very short little lump halfway along, that's flat/easy downhill all the way to Mickleham, although as padams says it's narrow so watch for oncoming traffic.  That puts you at the bottom of the zigzag which you know about.

I've consistently done the first run between 44:30 and 45:50, depending on conditions, what groups form up etc.  That's just inside HM pace and may be a little quick as the second run usually sneaks over the 50 minute mark.  I also tend to hammer the last time up the hill on the bike because by then there's loads of people on it and it's bloody good fun (except when TR enters, when it's chucking it down and freezing).

Edited: 09/11/2012 at 14:40
09/11/2012 at 15:12

Cheers guys. So ~HMP with the odd 5k comedy surge to keep LS21 happy! 

TR - taper strategy?  It's all about the munchies today!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197181_10151315290819595_581379613_n.jpg

TR
09/11/2012 at 16:18

PP - the smacking out 3M fast when you're tapering taper. That picture shows the snacks for the bike part of it, but you had best get scoffing, they say this race is marathon hard !

CD - weather will be ok as I wont be there, same applies to anyone doing Gosport 1/2. The following weekend should see plenty of wind and rain as I have the Hayling 10 and it has lots of seafront in it !

TR
09/11/2012 at 18:07

5M, 1.75k, 7M for the day. 7M is a long run for me nowadays too.

09/11/2012 at 18:20

PP -- have a blast. I'd do 3M tempo alright -- but about 5 days out! Not quite up to TR's inverse taper standards though... (1.75 km sounds like a long lunchtime swim TR, not that I have a good feeling for such things.)

09/11/2012 at 20:38

Good luck, PP and CD.

Gwent League for me tomorrow: Brecon this time.

09/11/2012 at 20:41
Padams - I have te Peregrines for winter Forest running, they are nice with a decent bit of cushioning on a low heel to toe differential (4mm). Not my cup of tea for fast XC racing as they are quite padded around the ankle and I struggle to get them laced up tight enough (got quite thick laces, might help if I swap them for something thinner), but could be ideal of ultra racing

Nice tick over and comeback running from CW,LS and TT

Good luck to PP, CD & RS with your races this weekend, however you go a it, smash it

Thanks for all the positive comments on my 10mile run last week, On the day it seemed a bit of a hollow result (with conditions and uncertainty over the course accuracy), but with hindsight I under estimated the amount of effort I put in. Think it was incentive of chasing the BAC V50 who beat me at the Lordshill 10k earlier in the summer!

This evening I did 3x 800/3200m (except first 3200m which was 2400m due to a lap miscounting!) with 5min rests, worked out a 400m lap average of 1:19.20 for 28 laps. Av Rep Paces for the 800/3200(ish) sets of 5:17/5:41 5:19/5:44 5:24/5:42, so very happy with that. Legs are toasted now though... Day off tomorrow
09/11/2012 at 21:51

Evening all. I'm back from holiday and seriously unfit. I have two XC races again this weekend. It will be, erm, interesting. 

The rest of you seem to be going strong and I'm somewhat jealous!

10/11/2012 at 04:35

All very best to PP and CD

Al_P well done on the 10

Njord thanks for the Rotterdam info and recommendation. It's on the short shortlist now!

LD - thanks for the Frankfurt info. Sounds like a quick one too. It's probably going to come down to timing. March is the aim at the moment though will see!

Ran to work from north London for the first time yesterday. Took in Finsbury, Regents and Hyde Parks. Only about 7 miles or so which I did as progressive. Felt good to combining running with the commute. Will probably run back this evening.

10/11/2012 at 08:10
Good luck to all the weekend racers, hope it stays dry.

Al p - looks like one hell of a session.

Well I'm back on the track, 16x 400m with60secs rest, averaged 68 so pretty darn pleased. I was well and truly smoked by the end
TR
10/11/2012 at 10:52

top work there Al_P - looking good for Gosport. That BAC M50 is a bit of a thread hero, he's the fella that has never pulled a DNF in all those years (inc training).

SL - top bombing from you too.

I did 2hrs looking at the garage door, in a 10min w/u, 10x(8min/2min), 10min w/d stylie. Was holding ~80% on the 8mins, first few were no probs, but it got a bit tougher by the end. Backside knows all about it as I have a new saddle which will take some getting used to. Old one split which made the kids laugh as they say I'm a fat old mess already.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.