Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,261 to 92,280 of 107,445 messages
08/12/2012 at 10:11
My run to work is 7.5 miles which means its a perfect distance to do there and back. It's quicker to run than get a bus, and only a bit slower than the train... And ??26/week cheaper. (I sometimes only run half way and get the train for the rest of the way).

I tend to sit and work in my running gear, after changing my shirt and having a splash in the sink. On even the coldest morning i will run in just a short sleeved shirt, so sweat is minimal. Doesn't seem much point getting changed, unless I see a customer. This means I don't have to carry anything with me, apart from occasionally taking some clean shirts with me. I tend to run in more slowly than running home.

All this chasing Strava course records makes the runs more interesting, and usually means minor modifications to the route.

Also, it doesn't have the same frustrations with motorists as cycling does, although I have a real downer on cars that go through on red (and it is incredible how many of them do).
TR
08/12/2012 at 10:34

SL - alcoholic fumes ?

RS - hope the hammy comes good. cricket does look good, amazing turn around inspired by Captain cook since the 2nd inns of the first game.

Njord - that dosent sound good, your joints need a good oiling !

I'm with Dids in the Steptoe stylie sink bath at work

2hrs of pain on the garage bagged - 15min w/u, 7x(12min/3min). Managed to av 140 (72%) for the whole 2 hrs.

A.W
08/12/2012 at 12:09

Been keeping one eye on the cricket, we seem to finally be putting some good cricket together on the subcontinent.

Hope the hamstrings nothing serious RS78, may see you next week at the MET league xc, will be running there myself as Ally Pallys local for me too.

7.5 undulating miles done for me. Middle 4 at tempo pace, coming in at about 6.10-6.15 av so pretty pleased with that.

A.W
08/12/2012 at 18:15

A.W - nice who do you run for? Hoping to make it, think I've got a chance. A few days swimming then maybe run wednesday and go from there.

A.W
08/12/2012 at 18:25
RS78 - I run for London Heathside, only joined this summer. This will be only my second outing at xc, still learning how to run them!!
A.W
08/12/2012 at 18:41

A.W - well I'll definitely be seeing you then, that's my club too

08/12/2012 at 19:18

Had to abandon my planned long route on hitting an ice sheet after 2 miles. Tried to run on it but it ice skates would have been required. I had to literally  crawl back up the hill as I could not grip at all. My interval run yesterday also had to be massively modified after hitting ice at the 6 mile point!

So my long run was a rather dull on the pavements to Durham and back! Was better once the sun came uo though Recently I have been doing my  long morning at an easy pace with just 0.5 litres of water. I am trying to cut back on carbs and become better at using my ample fat stores for fuel on the run. I do normally allow myself one gel at 15/16  miles though.

I am getting closer to being permanetly sub 12 stone, looking to hit 11 1/2 stone ( am 5' 11")early next year. Which means I will have lost 3 stone since I started running. I started running to lose some weight after a close family member passed on and binged for a while to hit 14 1/2 stone and shocked myself. Some where along the way the weight loss became a secondary effect of enjoying being a runner

In relation to running home from work, it also fits in better with my home life as I can come in from work and sit down and eat a meal with the family. Rather than go out for a run while they eat etc. It is also much harder to skip a run if you have to run home

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 19:19
08/12/2012 at 20:05

After a large quantity of Njord's favourite lager last night I inevitably woke up feeling a bit groggy.  Decided to go and have a saunter around the local Parkrun as a 'kill or cure' remedy.  Kept a brisk but modest pace which was just as well given the icy conditions underfoot (1 degree again!).  21.20 nothing to write home about but I did at least emerge bright eyed & feeling cured.  

12m club run around the outskirts of Wetherby in the morning, nice mixture of road/off road.

Hope you get through the niggles RS.  

AW.. I did vote for you so good luck in selection.

Good garage session TR!

Nice timber loss Tim.  I'm around 12 stone at present though I prefer to be nearer 11 1/2.  Might have to wait until after Xmas though!.

A.W
08/12/2012 at 21:07

Thanks Wardi, much appreciated! Good work on getting out to the parkrun with a heavy head, not sure I could have managed it myself!?

Good figures on the weigh loss there Tim. Ice and snow is a nightmare for disrupting training, thankfully don't get too much down here!

A.W
08/12/2012 at 21:20

That's interesting what you say about the weight loss Tim.

I'd say the closest I've got to a running epiphany was when I went for a "run" a couple of days after New Year 2005, I think I managed about 12 minutes before I had to call it a day, I remember the feeling of trying to run with massive flanks of fat on my chest / back, I felt like a beached whale & must have looked like one as well, I stopped running & felt f*cked, I felt finished, I'm not sure if epiphany is the right world, I didnt have any major revelatory moment, but always remember that feeling of stopping, line in the sand moment for me.

Getting in to the London Marathon in 2005 probably saved me from the point of no return in all fairness.

09/12/2012 at 09:33

ST - those runs along from Putney Bridge were the ones that got me out of my slump, they were good weren't they

A.W - Jerry's put a map of the xc route on the Heathside facebook page, not sure if you've seen it. Wonder if I've met you already down at FInsbury park track if you joined Heathside in the summer? I didn't move up here until mid september.

TB - that's a good old effort there. I'm the same height as you and my weight has gradually come down although not from the weight you were. I tend to hover around 11 1/2 or just above with normal training and go down to 11'3ish for a marathon. I'd say I'll be closer to 12 after this latest niggle though.  

Wardi - still a good feeling to run them whatever the time, sense of starting the day off nicely.

35 min swim at the local pool at 8am. First one for a good while and it was bloody hard, akin to swimming through treacle, lol I'm glad I dragged myself out of bed for it though, started off the day well.

Edited: 09/12/2012 at 09:35
TR
09/12/2012 at 10:57

RS - commendable effort in the lido there.

15M bagged which was a flipping shock to my already achy legs (after y'days turbo efforts). Having only had the Hayling 10 and Solent 1/2 as long runs in the last couple of months 15M seemed to be a long way.

09/12/2012 at 11:08

TB -- local hero Marigold started off as a self-described "fat boy", and ended up with 2:19 in London this year (and looked positively skeletal in a TV interview)...

Great weekend there TR, that's quite a bike/run double.

I set off without much of a plan today but did 20 reps of the very modest local hill before heading out of town and back; total 20M @ 6:54/M avg, with 15M@7m/M and the last 5M @ 6:35/M -- so a bit of progression there. Maybe marathon talk at the club Xmas party last night inspired me to think of VLM a bit -- and left me needing to run off a touch of hangover --- though if it was proper marathon training, I'd have tagged on a few more miles. This was only training for the first "half"...

09/12/2012 at 11:38

TR - swimming is pretty much the ideal workout for the body - core, resistance training & aerobic with real focus needed on breathing so it's great for lung capacity. The thing is the only time I ever do it is when I get a running injury which is pretty rare. Then when I recover I skip the swimming just at the point I'm getting vaguely competent in the water. Need to keep it going this time when I get running again. Solid 15 from you then.

Edited: 09/12/2012 at 11:38
A.W
09/12/2012 at 13:35

Good long one TR.

RS78 - Haven't had time to look at the map as yet, will have a look later. Not sure if I'd have met you, only really got to the Thursday track session a few times due to work. Seems most of the distance guys go to Tuesday session from what I've heard?Its near enough impossible for me to get to that one.

15 miles done for me this morning with the club, nice run. Felt quite heavy legged after a hard run yesterday!

A.W
09/12/2012 at 13:51
Jealous of Tim's run to Durham. Beautiful countryside. Last time I did any great distance there was staggering up that dual carriageway from Klute to Ramside Hall after a night on the pop.

Plotted out a rather sadistic 15 miler this morning, which took 6 course records from the evil Biggs. Got a comment back from him bemoaning the fact that I'd chosen the sabbath, close to Xmas, to carry out such avbloody massacre. Oh well, perhaps taking comfort in his god will help him.

If he ups his game, however, I could be in real trouble. I ran the fastest 700m I think I have ever run to take a CR by just two seconds. Felt a little nauseous at the end. If he takes that one back, I think I'll take up swimming or something.
09/12/2012 at 14:48

Turkey Trot HM for me today. Initially I said the target was sub 90 with no heroics, the revised it to MP, without specifying if that was latest MP, PB MP or hoped for future MP. The forecast was for driving rain and up to 40mph winds, so I wasn't convinced any of those targets would happen, but the rain cleared up before the start, and although it was pretty damned windy, it certainly wasn't 40mph. 

I ran it with my nemesis from the summer who was also hoping for a similar time. It was going really well until we hit the hill at 10.5 miles, straight into the teeth of the wind. The hill is about a mile long and fairly steep, but the wind was my main issue. Up until that point we were definitely on for sub 90. By 11.5 miles it wasn't so sure, and there's another big hill to the finish line to contemplate. Some downhill here was welcome, but still running into the wind so not the easy ride I'd hoped for. 

We came in pretty much together, although Nat pipped me to the line. Knowing we were 5th and 6th I wasn't too worried about chasing her down. Prizes for the first three only. 1.29.02 for me. The effort in the last few miles was higher than MP, but for December, on a hilly course and in a stiff wind I'm fairly happy with that. So in April I just need to run that same pace for twice the distance, but with more training behind me, no hills and no howling gale. I think it's on! 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
09/12/2012 at 16:49

A decent weekend for me too - a parkrun win yesterday, with junior 3 mins behind, the closest he's been.  A beer & curry evening with extended family but it was out for 21 miles first thing, which went much better than expected: 2:21 and fairly progressive given the hills I have in the last 5 miles of it.  Really strong at the end, hopefully a good sign.

09/12/2012 at 17:14

Nice running, Speedy (glad to hear you'll be in the sub 3 train ) and well done on the win, CD.  

Good swimming, RS.

Avon XC champs for me.  Not sure on finishing position because they didn't hand out tokens, but the important thing is that the pace was about 20s/mile faster than last week.  Still don't feel quite 100% after the cold, but the main thing is that I felt much more like 95% fit than the 75% fit I felt last week!  4th scorer for the club and fingers crossed we packed well enough...

TR
09/12/2012 at 20:31

RS - swimming takes logistics though so its not easy to keep it up when you could run with much less faff required.

CC - good confidence boosting run before the campaign even starts.

good running from the CD family

jools - all this XC should make you fast and strong

had two 2pm kick offs and a 5pm U16 indoor cricket game to juggle. So I watched the U12 footy and U16 cricket (which I thought was the fairest way), the U12s lost 1-0 whilst the U16s won 4-3 and my eldest scored a hat trick.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.