Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,281 to 92,300 of 109,150 messages
09/12/2012 at 22:12

Still playing about before getting serious post Xmas. local santa dash over 2 miles this morning. Hung about near the front eyeing up a few potential rivals sporting some serious racing shoes pulling a few posey stretches. went out hardish trying not to knock over the smaller runners. Managed to fall into second quite quickly with just a studenty looking type up ahead. Chased him down just before half way and soon created a comefortable lead. Kept up a comefortable pace taking the tape in around 12 minutes. Ok I know most of the serious local runners were probably over at Bicester for the Andy Reading 10k but a wins a win and its my first ever. 

Out of intrest Joolska and ccj do you run off the red start or championship at VLM?

10/12/2012 at 07:46

LOL PP sounds like some fun festive running at the Santa dash. Could not grinning at your description of chasing down the lead Santa whilst trying not to send the little Santas flying

After all my dashing around avoiding ice sheets I seem to have come down with man flu. Pretty good timing for once as I should be better for Christmas and have eneted my taper phase for New Years day run.

LD the NE does have some great trail runs in Durham and surrounding area. Loads of disused railway lines which make for a great running surface.

10/12/2012 at 09:37

50-60 lengths in the 35 mins, felt a bit stronger today. One of the guys who runs Jesmond Joggers works at the pool and he says I can have a go of the aqua belt tomorrow and use it anytime I want which is good news. Sports massage booked in for wed am, £25 for an hour!! Bloody good deal that even if club members do get a small discount.

Edited: 10/12/2012 at 09:39
10/12/2012 at 09:56

CC2 - good effort at the turkey trot.  I've run that race three or four times in past when an ex's mum lived in Keyworth.  Seem to remember it having a couple of killer hills (particularly one at about mile 3?), but also fond memories of setting a big PB there once a week after a mara PB at Luton.

RS78 - physio going very well for her, although I'm shocked by the amount of work being put it in for first term exams.  Don't remember so much as opening a book for most of my first year.

Early 90's & my uni years were spent in Durham, so amused to be reminded by Dids of Klute and Ramside Hall, both of which have seen heavily drunken nights back in the glory years.  In homage to which, I had a few too many on Saturday (first booze for three months), and had to abandon all running yesterday.  Not my greatest display of discipline 

Edited: 10/12/2012 at 09:57
10/12/2012 at 10:11

Dan - good stuff. To be fair on our course it tends to be the mature students who do more practice going into the clinical skills centre etc. A lot of the school leavers are on the piss a lot of the time which is fair enough given 1st year you just have to pass. I work with a few lads from the other year group and we tend to be in more than most. I wouldn't say I've worked as hard as I could but I've always been doing some study....there's a lot to take in that's for sure and it's constant so you're always being given new info meaning staying on top of things is the main aim. Same as though, I did nowt in my 1st year the first time. The Unis all seems to vary slightly in their teaching of the modules it seems.

Edited: 10/12/2012 at 10:25
10/12/2012 at 12:19

Nice one postie. "taking the tape in around 12 minutes"
--
out of interest, was there a real tape? Do they ever have them any more? I win a race maybe once a year and have never had a tape... I even deplored lack of such things when chatting to the accompanying bike marshall on the way to my last (very minor) victory... the big marathon finishes always have them; when our hearts and our heads are full of Chariots of Fire visions, how can it be right to deny us such a simple and satisfying bit of theatre? :- )

10/12/2012 at 12:41

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this forum and I'm facing my fears by posting in this thread! I've been advised to venture in and told that you will all be encouraging .

I've been feeling way too sheepish to post in here so late in the game (which I told the others, including A.W and DS2 in the Asics 26.2 forum) but I was told to be brave!! PLEASE hear my heart in that I'm not asking for your votes, the competition is about to close anyway so there's my proof, I just wanted to follow the advice of the others who've said finding & following your "target thread" is very well worth the advice I will get. My Marathon PB is a 3:15:01 (VLM '12) so I'm far off a sub 3hr but it is definitely a goal I'd love to pursue in the near-ish future?

I have a long standing swimming / triathlon background but I struggled in the final run leg for years and I’ve only recently (3yrs ago) discovered that I can run. 

x Caroline

10/12/2012 at 13:24

Klute was the only nightclub in early 1980s Durham. God, how we loved it - bloody terrible though it was.

Thinking of a Strava UK invasion mini-tour: Glasgow tomorrow, Nottingham thursday, York saturday, Newcastle sunday. It's like Europe in 1939, territory just ripe for the taking.

10/12/2012 at 13:30

CaroT - everyone who comes on here improves by about half an hour, so worth sticking around. Can't really say the quality of conversation is very high, sadly. So, here's your chance to make a positive change.

We've not done politics or religion much of late, so anything detrimental to the Pope or   observations on the Leveson Inquiry would make a welcome second post from you.

10/12/2012 at 13:48

Oh my goodness, no pressure . Lord Didsbury you sound like quite a character but there is no way I'm sticking my neck on the chopping block just yet if that tells you anything about me . I feel so out of my depth here already x

10/12/2012 at 14:11

could have just said "deluded old nazi" and "rivetting stuff" respectively.

10/12/2012 at 15:04

CW it was a nice bright orange tape about 2" wide.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/12/2012 at 15:15

I'm not sure that Leveson mentioned washing machines in his report, Dids, but I'm pretty certain that the Pope would favour a Bosch.

10/12/2012 at 16:32

"the Pope would favour a Bosch"  - wonderful, CD !!

10/12/2012 at 18:14

Been away since Wednesday so only skimmed back I'm afraid, but sounds like there was the usual good parkrunning and XCing at the weekend.

Had a great time in Prague, although it was rather chilly. Managed 2 runs outside which were good fun once I warmed up. Turns out you have two options for running in Prague - a massive hill up by the castle or cobbles everywhere on the other side of the river. Some great parks on the hilly side for training though - miles of trails with not many people on.

Due to the cold I did a bit in the gym too - I say gym, but I actually mean small room with 3 bits of equipment, none of which was a treadmill. So discovered the wonders of the cross trainer - actually felt quite a bit like running, and managed to build up a good sweat, burning 1,300 cals/hr according to the machine.

10/12/2012 at 18:17

I've won a handful of races and haven't yet encountered at tape. Not even at the one I won outright. I think I've been robbed!

Postie - Champs start for both of us, as we're club athletes. 

DanA - I rather enjoyed the hill up to mile 3 as it was sheltered. The one from 10.5 - 11.5 miles on the other hand was straight into the wind was officially No Longer Fun.

Welcome CaroT. I'm hoping Lord Dids is correct in that folks improve by half an hour just by coming on here. I fear not though! But it's my first year on here too, so maybe we'll crash through that sub 3 barrier together. My PB is 3.08.58. 

10/12/2012 at 19:55
CaroT - check out the very first post on here. 4 yrs later (aged 37) I was 25 mins quicker. Though hasn't always been a classic linear progression!

Marders debuted on here with 2.57 then six months later followed with 2.28. And now 2.16.

Dids - Klute became Riverside in the 1990's and had competition from Rixy's (3 shots for a pound). It's still there and called Klute again. Was always complemented in its awfulness by Saddlers kebabs next door. Marvellous.
10/12/2012 at 20:14

I was delighted to win my first ever race this year at a local trail marathon. There was no tape, and they had not even had chance to get the video recorder ready to record my moment of history

Was not my fatest run of the year, but winning a race was special, tape or no tape  

Padams - Prague is a fab city, would like run the marathon or 1/2 marathon there one year.

TR
10/12/2012 at 20:42

welcome Caro, nice to see more girls here, we used to call them lesser spotteds as they were so rare (or lezzer spotteds in my best dreams !).

5M, 1.5k, 5M, 55M for December already, looking good for getting over the ton !

A.W
10/12/2012 at 21:24

Hey CaroT, good to see you over here. I like the sound of that 30 minute quicker stat! 

A.W
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.