92,341 to 92,360 of 107,075 messages
12/12/2012 at 14:27

Dachs - you ARE the rightful holder.

three options:

1. break that record

2. move house.

3. there's no third option.

12/12/2012 at 14:51

TR I have done Parlauf's a couple of times with my old club. It involved running half way round the perimeter of a football pitch as hard as you could, tagging your parner and jogging across the halfway line whilst they ran round the other half of the pitch. Repeating the exercise several times.

The difficulty of the session very much depended on your choice of running partner

12/12/2012 at 15:20

ZaTTu - the steps weren't too deep, but I'd been running up a very steep hill for at least 5 mins by that point. Initially I tried taking them 2 at a time, but gave up pretty quickly - had the jelly leg lactic sensation at the top!

TR - yes, we do paarlaufs once every couple of months as Old No7 describes.

MtR - you've overtaken Marigold on the media stakes in one fell swoop!

Dan - good to hear you're having a crack at Barca again. I'm planning to run a marathon around the end of March too, for training, but probably just going to do a local one (there's a trail one in Northampton). Already planning quite a few overseas trips next year so I don't think another one is going to happen.

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 15:22
12/12/2012 at 16:16

Media - whilst I remember, I was interviewed by Sky TV on the day Cameron's wife had sprogged with their new baby, florence.

We were in Polzeath in Cornwall, a few hundred yards down from where they were staying (Cameron was often on the beach playing cricket with his kids) and Sky came down looking for him. I approached them and said "if you are looking for a bloke called Dave, with a daughter called Florence then you've found them".

(My daughter, although 16 years older, is also called Florence).

Anyway, realising after a while that nowt much was doing they came across and interviewed us.

We came across like right numpties.

12/12/2012 at 17:08

Wardi - it was indeed a Sam Smith's pub and they had beer in there for £1.35 a pint!!  I did buy Mrs LJ an orange and lemonade as well which bumped the total bill over £10 but she was driving and there's only so much pop you can drink. Amazed you managed to delay your honeymoon for running, I thought I'd done well convincing Mrs LJ to spend our first anniversary standing by the side of the road in Stratford upon Avon while I ran my first marathon.  She is a lucky, lucky lady...

Al P - well done on the 10k, another PB for you, it's been a good finish to the year.

MtR - I didn't catch any of it but sounds like you had fun with the media yesterday, good to see you're running a fair bit too.

SL - I twisted my ankle too a couple of weeks ago, had to hobble home 2 miles into a 10 miler.  Good news was that although it was still really painful to walk on the next day I was running again after 3-4 days off and have had no problems since, hope the same goes for you.

Dachs - good target for the Parkrun, you can't get beaten in your own front yard!

TR - you may not have raced but I remember you did a fair bit of faster training this year which worked well for you.

Fitness seems to be improving, went to the club for the first time in ages yesterday and did about 5.5M with a clubmate at about 6.15 pace then he peeled off to go home and I did 4.7M on my own a bit quicker, overall pace exactly 6 by the end.  Followed that with a slower 15M on the grass this morning so it should be another good mileage week.

TR
12/12/2012 at 18:28

TB - if you want any longevity in this then you must consider your wife. Endurance sports are selfish and most peoples families arnt asking them to take part, so not missing important days, family do's matters. As soon as she resents you running you are done for one way or another. IMO you are best off setting yourself some moral rules and sticking to them, which is what I try to do.

SL - hope your ankle soon mends

Padams/No 7 - sounds familiar but I though we did them round a big oval sometimes too with 3 in a team so no jog across the middle.

LJ - indeed, I did the patented 3min reps/30 sec rest quite a few times and some hard 10M runs which ended up being a lot quicker than MP turned out to be. I must remember that this time and set a pace limit, anything too fast is wasted matches.

MtR - still time for another couple of long streaks yet.

I ran 5M today !

12/12/2012 at 19:01

Cheers TR. This was a misunderstanding over the actual date. There have been a lot of misunderstading recently about how much time I dedicate to running. Which I have to take some blame for.

One of the reasons I am trying to get a bit more focused on my marathon running is that running marathons is more achievable for me right now in terms of time for training and racing.

SL - one of my friends has had his ankle go 3 times this year! So hope it heals strongly. 

12/12/2012 at 19:30
TR - I sort of agree that some days are off limits, but those are VERY VERY few. There should be a damn good reason presented before you concede defeat, IMO.

Oscar Wilde famously said "sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission". In running, you shouldn't even need to be asking forgiveness.

You can maintain a good family life balance whilst making it absolutely crystal clear that nothing will get in the way of your running. I know that a non-running spouse will never understand that, but you'll never understand why she needs to spend ??75 on her hair, and ??200 on clothes. make it clear enough and she/he will accept it.

I've seen friends make compromises before (eg, "I'm giving up my LUFC season ticket, Dids, but I'll still be going to lots of matches") and it exposes a weak spot that will be constantly picked at until the whole thing becomes too much bother and falls apart.

Better to constantly remind them how bloody good you are by tidying the house, picking up the kids, enhancing her social life etc.
12/12/2012 at 20:02

Sounds like a very busy but cool day MtR. Best of luck with the new project.

Disciples? I didn't realise Canova was a religion LD  Fwiw, there isn't such a thing as a Canova plan (at least not in the standard sense of do x on day y, etc), and I actually agree that the underlying principles Canova uses have a lot in common with both Lydiard and Squires (and most 70s/80s marathoners), amongst others (my reference to him previously was solely as an example of someone who tailors the stimulus, rather than saying he was 'different'). The only difference between most successful marathon coaches tends to be in how those principles are applied, and the 'right' method of application depends on the individual.
I suspect you and I would probably agree on more than we disagree, as I too tend to take the 'marathon above all else' approach (and obviously also favour high mileage).

Congrats on the parkrun win Dachs. I think Jr #1 and I will attend one of those every now and again from next year and Woodley is our closest, so we'll probably see you there.

Ah, not the part I was thinking of then Padams. Sounds like a cracking workout though!

I've had enough of this cold weather. Pavements are too icy to do anything quicker and the thought of having to resort to the dreadmill doesn't fill me with joy. Even our track had to close this evening! When's summer?

TR
12/12/2012 at 20:21

Dids - agreed, I'm happy with my balancing act. I wasnt the one that seemed disappointed to have to miss a N Y day race.

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 20:27
12/12/2012 at 20:41

Well won Dachs. Everyone else in the street will be saying they can't keep up with the neighbours...

Very nice session too LJ. Can't remember the last time I did a full-on Coro 10 in training (sub 60 min) -- wonder if I still can?

I won't discover this weekend as I have a club cross-country. This week I've been clomping to work in fell shoes because of the ice, and haven't done anything too rapid, but have enjoyed the frosty meadows and trees etc.

Edit: lost half my post because I used a less than sign instead of 'sub' before 60, just as well I'd saved it to the clipboard. I get a bit narked with the forum engine here eating anything that looks like an HTML tag. I'm going to try the HTML for less-than at the end here just to spite it: <

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 20:42
12/12/2012 at 21:07

TR you really got me doing some serious thinking this morning and about the enjoyment of it all!!

As a lifetime athlete (mainly in water related sports), I know very well that in order to achieve my goals and the enjoyment in achieving those goals, I always have to put in some very hard grit. I’m very determined once I’ve set my heart on a goal and once I’ve started my training… the tricky part is now thinking about all the hard grit that still has to come before I’ve even started a training program. My problem (so I’m often told) is that I think too much . You’ll be pleased to know I came home from work today and without thinking went out for an easy-ish 10 miles on my own & with no music. Not a very long run, but a start for me

Thanks Padams & Lord Didsbury for your advice too!

TR
12/12/2012 at 21:22

CaroT - so are you telling me off or not ? some of the running required in marathon training is a chore at times eg long runs and medium long runs early doors in February, I used to try to run my long runs too fast to get them over with, but then had a couple of crap marathons. Most of the running in the build up is easy ish running and is more an exercise in making time than finding effort, so go easy with the hard grit. Marathon long runs are still a chore at times, but I now try to see them as an exercise in time rather than miles. I do mostly slow hilly laps of the same route trying to run slowly and saving as much energy as possible. 21M was lasting me 2:45ish last yr. I then switched to a flat route so that I could put in some progressive 20 milers. these take place up and down a 2M stretch of road, its all part of the mental challenge.

12/12/2012 at 22:25

Thanks TR, definitely not a telling off, I'm all ears to all the advice I can get . You got me wondering if I was in the right game which is very important knowing right from the start for when the going gets tough later on. I still know I'm way out of my depth here in the sub 3 form but I'm very thankful for all the advice so far.

I tend to do most things "all or nothing" and I always think I have to go out hard all the time and I probably AM running my long runs too fast to get them over with. I'm VERY glad to hear the training programs arent 4 complete months of GRIT but a gradual increase! 

13/12/2012 at 10:50

Dachs - nice one

TR - I'm definitely planning on running those early long runs much slower this time.

Zattu - the ice up here on quite a few mornings has been ridiculous on roads and pavements. I wore my Inov8 fell shoes into Uni the other week ffs

SL - hope your ankle eases

AW - You may have been already but sunday 9am run is good but can get a bit billy big bollocks. It'll be chat for a bit then heads down and hard going - anywhere from 16-20 miles and usually pretty fast - sometimes too fast imo (for me anyway). That said the group usually splits a bit so there's always someone to run with. It's good as a progressive/challenging run but I never liked doing it every week.

15 min test run yesterday went ok plus I had sports massage. Did 30 mins this morning and there's nothing that's affecting the running motion - feels pretty good. Will see how the leg feels tomorrow and then aim at 40 mins. All being well I'm running the XC at Ally Pally as its the local race. Bit of a risk but who cares!!

.......oh and my sister gave birth to a little boy this morning and called him Sam

Edited: 13/12/2012 at 10:51
13/12/2012 at 11:12

Congratulations, uncle RS78

Hope the ankle improves, SL.  I went through a stage of sprains.  It's surprising how long it takes to get full strength back, so run carefully!

Belated welcome to Caro, if I've not said so already.

11M home for me yesterday and neck/shoulder seem unaffected by use of rucksack: phew!

Work Christmas party tonight, so thankfully tomorrow is only 5M recovery

13/12/2012 at 11:37

Uncle RS78 - congratulations!  I recently found out I'm due to be Uncle PhilPub again, as my bruv and sis-in-law waited for a 9 year gap after number 3!

Not been here much but will endeavour to be more regular as my training gets more marathon-like. I've already managed 4x 20+ milers (evenly spaced out since September) with one more planned before new year.  Also managed a Coro-10 last week at the same pace as LJ's, and these will become my regular "MP" sessions as I attempt to keep a lid on HR whilst extending the length of the effort section.  HR for 10M @ 6:00/m exactly was around 164/165 (~82% max) on a windy evening, compared to actual marathon race HR of 168, so if I can shave a few seconds off whilst adding some miles on, it's looking good.

The quality training is being nicely supplemented with XC, with the added interest this year of Vets competitions.  We claimed team silver in the V40 Southern Counties last week; I came 11th overall (V40/45 combined / 7th V40) with a club mate in 4th/3rd V40.  Hoping for some revenge on fresher legs this Saturday with the Kent County Vets, which we appear to be taking quite seriously!

A.W
13/12/2012 at 12:35
Congatulations RS78 on the arrival of your nephew. Hope to see you Saturday at the xc. Tried the 9am group once, but to be honest its a bit early for me as I end up working most Sunday mornings.

Managed to get 15 in this morning with 3 at the end at MP. Nice run, but hands were numb by the end!

So bit of news from me, I have been lucky enough to win selection for the Asics Target 26.2 competition, so will be running Paris this April! Thank you to all that voted!
A.W
13/12/2012 at 13:50

PP - sounds like you're in great nick.  Keeping a lid on will be tough though.  All too easy to peak in January.

Congrats A.W. Hope it was my vote that tipped it your way.

Likewise RS78 - I've got six nephews/nieces.  Will make Christmas chaos I expect.  Main reason I do the Bushy parkrun on Xmas morning, as I can't cope with a full day of someone else's overexcited children 

Speaking of parkrun, there are lots of rumours of a sporting superstar running at Richmond Park this weekend.  Sounds like a massive turnout will occur.

Today's celebrity spot was Lawrence Dallaglio on Richmond High St this morning.

TR
13/12/2012 at 18:41

welcome to the world to RSs nephew, get him down the cricket club in about summer 2018.

Good for you AW, must have been Dans vote cos I didnt vote for anyone - none meant but I dont like those competitions and some of the behaviours that it brings out in folks, so it would be hypocrytical to vote. Same applied to the offer of being involved in the alternative mentoring threads.

5M, 1M, 5M. 6 runs for the week so far, cant see anymore happening though,

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.