Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,361 to 92,380 of 108,449 messages
TR
14/12/2012 at 09:07

oh good, CL, PP and me in a 10k smackdown, looks like I'll be taking the bronze medal.

SL - good news on the ankle. Its easy to peak in January, February and March. The tricky bit is peaking in April.

90mins of turbo action bagged, after trying not to get frozen to the bike in a sweaty mess in recent weeks the weather has changed to more Noah like weather today. Weather f'cast looks good for a long ride tomorrow morning though and I have a 3hr window to jump through - although that might get changed. Got to have the long run bagged by 8:30am Sunday so it wont be very long. I'm not running at 6:30 on a Sunday in December esp bearing Dans comment about January in mind.

14/12/2012 at 10:08

SL - Good to see you back at it and yes, plenty of time for peaking yet.

AW - Congrats.  Paris is a great marathon, even if I couldn't work out where the Gatorade was being given out en route!

CL - Yep, I'll see you in Chichester too.

Dan - Wise words, which I'll definitely keep in mind.  The 20 milers have been nicely spaced out so far (4 in 4 months) and only got up that far, not because of some crazy plan of 12 x 20 before VLM or whatever, but because I felt good on the day.  I need to peak a couple of times in the Spring anyway, once in March for the duathlon, so I've got some good excuses for building in some cut-back and relative recovery weeks.  Also, I haven't been out on the bike properly for a while so will probably get a ride in on Sunday and have a long-run free week.

7M w/ 4 @ 5:38 last night, max HR around HM level.  Comfy.  Nothing much planned for today so should be fairly fresh for tomorrow.

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 10:11
14/12/2012 at 12:08

Rather depressingly, some dude called Paul Payne shattered one of my prized Strava course records yesterday. A particularly tricky stretch of Kingsway on my run home from work which undulates repeatedly, and where timing of lights can destroy the most barnstorming run. I doubt I shall ever get the CR back.

I've decided to work from home today, as I cannot face the run home knowing that the happy memory of the day when I took it off Biggsy has been spoilt.

Is this how Poland felt in 1939?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
14/12/2012 at 12:12
16 miles up and over box hill bagged this morning. It was one of those that start off OK, then the rain starts and it just got heavier. It was just a case of running wet to start with, but by the time I was at the top of the hill there was water everywhere and with every puddle potentially hiding a pothole on the roads round here there was no way of keeping any real pace on. Mind you that's not really the point at this time of year anyway. Good to be back & dry.

May I also join the others in expressing to RS my utmost contrafibularities on his uncleship.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
14/12/2012 at 12:20
Sorry to hear that Dids. There's always someone faster, sadly. Although not as fast as the mate of mine who did a few miles on his bike in Crawley before driving to Brighton and back for an afternoon meeting, forgetting to stop his gamin. He took a whole bunch of CRs. He did delete it from strava, but not before all the emails would have gone out to the old record holders, telling them that someone had done their course in half the time.
14/12/2012 at 12:22

AW - congrats, I just read your blurb and hope you get the sub3 this time.  You're in the right place for good advice to do it.

Caro - Good to have the "do I really want to do this" discussion with yourself now rather than later and those 10 mile runs on your own with no music will stand you in good stead come marathon time.  To echo a couple of other people, you don't need to be a hero in all of your long runs, doing some slower ones early on is definitely worthwhile, I see plenty of people who run their long runs much faster than me who I can finish minutes ahead of come the race.

PP - good luck with the XC, your training's great at the moment.

Good luck to RS, AW, CW and any other XCers tomorrow, should be muddy.

Wardi - more good miles, enjoy the smackdown with LD tomorrow.

TR - long bike ride tomorrow, don't forget your sandwiches.

4 and 10 for me yesterday, 10 in 64mins so more sedate than Tues.  Rest day today then I may well do a Parkrun tomorrow.

14/12/2012 at 12:27

CD - yes, I get them occasionally. It's when your CR over a 0.5m stretch has been broken by a full minute that you know something's not right.

I just check whether the person concerned is David Rudisha, and then ignore it.

14/12/2012 at 13:04

CD - nice try, but CL is still winning word of the day. Well done for getting the 16M done this morning.

LD - you're giving up too easily. Have a go at 4am when there's no traffic, so a smooth run will be guaranteed.

When I was a "good" runner, I was still doing the majority of my long runs with clubmates at 7:30-8 min/mile, which was 2 m/m slower than MP. I think that's fine until March.

Training has been a bit disrupted this week due to a heavy cold (bit of a throbbing head), busy at work and work Xmas do this evening. Hoping to get in a long run tomorrow and long ride on Sunday though - at least it's warmed up and looks like it should be dry at the weekend too.

14/12/2012 at 13:42

Padams - you are so right. where's all me fight gone?

anyway, could be worse - they've just announced the Tour De France starts in Leeds next year, so there's going to be a lot of very pissed off Strava cyclists in Yorkshire.

14/12/2012 at 13:57

Congrats RS78 and PP.

RS78 - a clubmate wore spikes to run to work along a canal on a few occasions last winter.

Positive tempo PP.

LJ - missed your very nice 10m the other day. Impressive. As is the general mileage by the looks of it. What's your mara target next year?

Congrats on bagging the place A.W.

Good news on the ankle SL.

Nice 16m CD.

Padams - ??when?? you were a good runner? You still are more than a "good" runner! I seem to be on my best week since starting back up post Berlin, and most of my mileage has been in that range or slower. Out of 80 so far, 20 of it has averaged 6:35. The rest has averaged 7:56. I agree that for now simply building endurance on long runs is more than enough. General pace improves as you get fitter anyway.

As above, having my best week since post-Berlin so far. 80 as of this morning which included an 18 (with 13 @ 6:21), a slow 15, a primarily slow 13, and a 10/10 double. A few intro reps planned for the way home (though probably weather hindered by the looks of it) this evening, and a planned long run Sunday should see me around the 110m for the week mark. Most fun run though was the slightly p!$$ed jog home after a works lunch (took me about half the time of bussing it).

Given that I normally end up playing catch-up closer to marathons I don't think I'm ever in danger of peaking too early! As I intend to actually taper for a HM in spring though I'm hopeful that I can get a mini-peak in early February before the main one for VLM.

14/12/2012 at 14:49

Zattu - I've done a few merry runs home on a friday evening from work, after my self-discipline has crumbled after a "swift pint".

Thankfully this is usually two pints, although it has been three. Not an absolute belly full and maybe if you were, say, meeting the in-laws for dinner and chat you could get away with it. But 7.5 miles through south manchester like this finds you out.

Actually, the usual pattern is that I'm OK at first, but then after a mile it becomes very, very unpleasant for a good few miles. Unusually for an alcohol induced state, time actually passes slowly as you wonder whether you picked up the wrong pair of legs on the way out and are running with the fat barman's instead.

HOWEVER, for the last mile or two, something magical happens. the clouds in the sky and in your head dissipate and you are off and running with ease. Tempo pace is a breeze. You would run longer, but then you remember you promised er Indoors you'd be home early and sober.

In fact, I am tempted to deliberately try this with Strava one evening and see if my impressions are backed up by data.

I have also got pissed when I was supposed to be crash dieting for a race, then gone to the gym in a desperate attempt to burn off the calories I'd consumed. But even the cross trainer, with support for hands and feet, seems something of a different proposition for your powers of balance and co-ordination. 

I have (once) cycled home drunk. Without lights too. Although I stuck to the pavements and went very slowly. This I will never do again.

14/12/2012 at 22:15

Dids.. bad news at this end.  My home town footpaths were skating rinks this morning and despite due care & attention I went arse over tit walking for the bus.  I now have a very sore back on one side between shoulder blade & waist.  Had a very uncomfortable day after that, not sure if it's ribs or just bruising.  Anyway as I couldn't run a step at the moment I will have to miss the York smackdown tomorrow.  If my mobility is ok I may well come & watch.  I wouldn't mind so much if it was a running injury, I'm just praying it's short lived!

SL.. no spring marathon for me.  After the last two disappointments I decided after VLM that I would enjoy shorter stuff up to half-marathon for a year or so.  If I do a marathon next year it will be in the autumn, possibly Frankfurt or Amsterdam.  Good to hear your ankle is on the mend.

15/12/2012 at 00:14
Wardi - that's bad news. Finally got Er Indoors into bed. Not going to be much sleep before an early getaway.... She'd better bloody get up in time or there will be bother.
15/12/2012 at 06:56
Fingers crossed it's just bruising wardi.
15/12/2012 at 07:03

Hope everyone that is racing this morning/weekend runs well. Look forward to hearing how everyone gets on, from the comfort of my warm couch  

Now into day 6 of my man flu. I tried a solid day of junk food yesterday that seems to have turned me around a little(Feed a ciold?). Will be getting out for an easy 10 miles tomorrow.Then back to normal duties on Monday. I am looking forward to getting back to training. I am setting myself a mini target relating to a local hill that will see me putting in some sessions to be able to run the steep and rough trail and make it look like I am running and moving easily. This target is not about times as such, but about a state of mind in relation to a tough hill. More importantly it is getting my revved up for getting out of the door and back to training.

The organiser of New Years day race has also offered a possible plan B for those still wanting to run the 4 race series next year.

Edited: 15/12/2012 at 07:06
15/12/2012 at 10:32

Ouch, Wardi! I'm with RS on using the Inov8 fell shoes with sticky, grippy studs in the ice -- they're magic. Oh, apart from the time I did skid over on a dome of wet glassy ice and cracked my finger... and being a bit stingy, I try to avoid wearing them unless I really need to, as I don't want to wear out the studs unnecessarily on tarmac.

You're on good form, LJ & ZaTTu. Hope the cold clears soon Padams.

I jogged home after the works Christmas lunch and felt leaden, but if anything it helped get the digestion going in my over-full belly...

"I have (once) cycled home drunk. " -- I once thought I was being terribly sensible by walking my bike home from a college dinner (hey, this is Cambridge) when I'd had a few too many ports... but then tripped on a pedal, landed heavily on the machine, and ripped my suit trousers and a bit of my leg. Whereas I never did injure myself through tipsy cycling (and boy did it feel gloriously fast). Older and occasionally wiser now, obviously. Well, mostly.

15/12/2012 at 11:05

Ow, that sounds really painful, Wardi.  I hope you recover quickly.

Don't run if the man flu is still affecting you badly, Tim.  You do risk prolonging the illness overall and possibly getting a chest infection to compound your difficulties.

12M for me this morning including Ashton Court parkrun.  Bumped into Njord and Caz at the start and finish; I think they both enjoyed the hill...  Time was a bit slower than I would have wanted (just over 21 mins) but I suppose it's been a busy week (and a stint of ceilidh dancing barefoot seems to have left my calves a bit tight).

15/12/2012 at 13:47
Wardi - hope it's not too bad, at least the ice should be gone for a few days now.

Zattu - big mileage for you, sounds like you're running well. I will hopefully be low to mid eighties for this week.target for marathon next year is VLM and I want to see if I can get down to sub 6 min mile pace. Lots of work to do!

Jools - good miles around your parkrun and still a decent time.

TB - hope the lurgy is better.

Parkrun for me this morning, had to wait in for the plumber so didn't do as much warm up as I'd have liked but run was decent at 17.02, will hopefully improve on that next week.
15/12/2012 at 14:37
Dachs - envious of the Parkrun in your front garden, nice winter target though to take the record...

LJ - that was a quick 10M the other day, do you do runs like that often? seems pretty speedy! Never had a go at a 'Coro 10' might have to give it a shot soon. Sounds like you're putting in some great miles lately. Nice Park Run today as well I'm possibly targeting the c.6min/M VLM time this year, but I know I'm a bit off that right now, reckon I'm in approx 2:40 shape, so will need to find another 10sec/M... Going to work on my lactate threshold for a month or two and then see where I am at the Wokingham Half (10th Feb). Then I'll decide what marathon target pace is going to be.

RS - congratulations on the uncle-ship, good to hear your on the mend and hope you have a good XC run

PP - Sounds like you're in great shape going into the spring

AW - Well done for winning the Asics comp

LD - Comiserations on losing the Strava CR, might be worth finding another one that doesn't require a life and death game of chicken at each set of lights to break!

Wardi - that's a nasty sounding fall, hope it recovers quickly. unlucky considering how much good running you have been doing lately. Coincidentally I took a big tumble on a run the other day after crossing the road too quickly and slipping on wet grass on the verge. Went down hard on my right hip, my automatic reaction was to get straight up and start running again, the adrenalin suppressed the pain until I got back to the office (also the streets were full of kids going to school and I didn't want to look like too much of a numpty!) Got a massive bruise on my hip and graze their and on my knee. Thankfully my gloves sacrificed themselves for the good of my palms, otherwise I would have lost skin there too... Hip was very sore of a few days and I kept rolling on to in bed which slowed down the graze recovery time a bit, but thankfully no deep damage done so I could run though it.

CW - which Inov-8's do you use for icy/slippery runs? I'm getting a pair of X-talon 212s for Christmas, planning to christen them at the Hampshire XC Champs in early Jan

Jools - nice medium run/Park Run combo this morning

Since Wednesday it's been 7.5M/6.5M/11.5M (inc 5x2km) for me. Friday's long intervals were on the gym treadmill due to the nasty weather out. Managed to average around 3:30/km 5:38/M for the 2k reps which I was pretty happy with, as they were tough but not stupidly hard, might try and repeat the session again next week outdoors and see how much harder it is....
Edited: 15/12/2012 at 14:39
TR
15/12/2012 at 16:11

Wardi - how are you now ? lucky escape from Al_P too

Jools - 12M on a Saturday is nice.

LJ - hope the plumber let himself out.

circumstances changed preventing an outdoors pedal and I had to be finished early so it was 2hrs on the turbot again, tough after y'days 90min. I felt decidely carp in the middle too and clocked if there was a bucket handy, never barfed and never bailed but felt pretty carp afterwards, had a bit of the lurgy though and all the cold early mornings havnt helped I guess.

still only got 5 for a 6 a side U13 indoor cricket match tomorrow evening so they had all best raise their game by 20%.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.