Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,501 to 92,520 of 105,431 messages
TR
22/12/2012 at 12:16

Padams - agreed, I'm sure my idea of a 4 word text book "left after right, often", would be a bigger seller than Noakes/Hadd etc

Jools - dont forget the fried eggs !

Bit of a late night and a few Babychams, still managed a 90min turbo earlyish though. Havnt quite needed an Ark yet, but its getting pretty wet !

22/12/2012 at 12:33

I sense a rival book coming out TR - "right after left, often". 

Wet and windy parkrun this morning on an extended course to avoid a flood. I had to work rather too hard to come out with HM pace, but to be fair I haven't been doing much running of late. 

22/12/2012 at 20:15

Looks like there has been some cracking training. CW putting skeletal issues to one side and running a pretty tough looking 20 miler!  DanA with a good long tempo run and a PB from Joolska the other night.

Liking the book idea TR, though you should look away now

Good news you are able to get back to running after your run in with the street urchin ZaTTu. Thanks for the Lidia Simon tip off, I didn’t find a great deal of info but this was interesting  –

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/lidia-simon

Not sure it’s relevant to a first timer like me, but for those with more endurance in their legs, the focus on speed and speed endurance that Lidia’s coach is talking about might prove useful.

I had to bin some mile repeats yesterday, right calf had been a little stiff on an easy run on Thursday but nothing too troublesome, it stated to stiffen up again in the warm up yesterday. I started the first rep but gave it up half way through and jogged home. I can feel a little stiffness in it today but not allot, so will go for a test jog tomorrow. Don’t think it’s anything serious but no point risking an injury this early on.

22/12/2012 at 20:37

Mostly dropping in to wish everybody a happy Christmas.  My comeback has been interrupted by a hacking cough which is thankfully easing.  Hope to run again by Christmas but it might be the new year.  No sense in taking a chance given where I am fitness wise but I am aching to get back to it.

On the reaching your potential debate I think that most can reach about 90% - 95% of their potential by avoiding injury and following a sensible consistent plan that constantly challenges for a couple of years.  I think that the last 5 - 10% is as much art as science but there are very few of us that get to a position where we can realistically explore this.

Zattu - Glad that you're not too badly hurt.  Surprised to see you mention focusing on your strengths a few pages back.  There's a dange of getting into semantics here but I think that the focus should be more on the area of greatest opportunity relative to your goal.  Of course that's a fairly nebulous term and difficult to define let alone chase but I think it should be kept in mind when planning training.  To take an extreme point if a sprinter were training for a marathon we wouldn't tell them to focus on speed.

OS - you're just not looking hard enough or moving in the wrong circles  - there were plenty of fat people on my rugby team when I lived in Switzerland.  There may not be the huge tins in switzerland but never let it be said that that Swiss don't do big chocolate

I won't be online much and am very unlikely to post again this year as parents and parents in law get visited in 2 separate countries (ok 1 is Wales but it's still a 5 hour drive) so Merry Christmas and happy new year everybody.  I hope that it brings you all that you wish for in running and if not that then the patience to bear with everything that gets in the way!

23/12/2012 at 10:35

That's an interesting link Y D, cheers. My reference to Simon was in relation to your comment that Paula was probably one of the first women to train like a man. Simon used to do a 3 x 10k session @ just inside marathon pace (which sheds a different light on the link saying 25km was her longest run - it probably was just her longest continuous, but if you're doing 3 x 10k plus wu, recs, and cd, you don't need a separate long run) Sounds like a sensible decision to bin the session and take it easy.

Clearly - I hope that cold/cough goes soon. My reference to focusing on my strengths are simply that my main weakness seems to be anything around 3km-5km (as I get sick quite easily from standard VO2Max sessions), and my strengths tend to lend themselves to marathons anyway, so rather than trying to become a more rounded runner.............

In case I don't get on over the next few days, Happy Christmas to all!

TR
23/12/2012 at 11:26

CC - thats the sequel !

all the best for a better running year in 2013 Clearly, you of all folks deserve a lucky break

15M bagged, two double digit runs in 3 days !

23/12/2012 at 11:46

YD -- sensible to back off, I had a bit of a 'mare with a dicky calf over the summer.

Your training continues to impress Jools. Though at this rate TR will be challenging you on run miles...

No run today -- leg feels fine but to be honest I'm a big creaky after the tough 20M outing. It does mean I'll have had 6 days with only one running day, which is the kind of thing I wanted to try. Also set a recent record on the bathroom scales this morning and that's before festivities start in earnest... maybe from the enormous Pizza Express calzone last night celebrating the Mrs' birthday.

Not sure how much I'll be on here over the next week, so have a good one all!

23/12/2012 at 12:46

Nice to hear from Clearly.  Echo the comments about hoping you have a good year's running 2013.

Glad to hear the cold is gradually going away, ZaTTu.

18M for me to bring up 62M for the week.  Very steady (8.12m/m) but in fairness it was a hilly route and it was a bit windy at times.

23/12/2012 at 17:28

Good mileage Jools & nicely done with that 5 mile PB.     Nice 18 today - are you running VLM in 2013?  Thought I remembered you saying that you were giving it a miss. 

Clearly.. I think you've had a longer & more frustrating lay off than anyone on here in recent times, hope you get better luck in 2013.  Liked the Toblerone pic, I'm very partial to those! 

TR.. nice couple of double digit efforts, must be nearly January.   Didn't know you were a Babycham tippler!

Good decision to give the calf a bit of precautionary TLC Y D.

I'm just doing what I can on sore ribs/back.  A gentle 4, 5 & 6m in the last 4 days, only slightly uncomfortable so hopefully I can keep ticking over.  The painkillers I was given by the Doc do take the edge off the discomfort but one downside is that they do make me feel a bit drowsy.  Certainly no problem getting to sleep while I'm taking these! 

TR
23/12/2012 at 18:46

very nice Jools, is 18 the longest you've done so far ?

Wardi - those short runs will keep the legs used to the impact. Nearly January and I'm a long way behind, so I hope to bag a few more double digit runs before January, when i hope to get the running commutes going again, but only 2 days/week this time rather than 3.

23/12/2012 at 21:39
Evening,
Some good running going on recently on here, especially from Jools and CW. Glad to hear that TT and Wardi are recovering quickly from their respective incidents

60M for me this week, so back to good mileage levels, don't intent to go much more than this over the course of the Spring training. Highlights of the week were another 5x2k treadmill session, which was a bit faster (17 vs 16.7kph) than the week before and felt about the same effort wise, and a 17M wet and muddy forest run today, which included our club 5M Christmas fancy dress cross country. The forest was very wet indeed, had several swollen rivers to wade through! XC was very muddy but the mulled wine and mince pies were very nice at the finish
23/12/2012 at 22:15
Good to see people's training getting more marafun shaped. Enjoying the debate but will happily sit on the fence over here. The older I get the more I tend to think INFRS but I'll continue to have a nerdy curiosity for the science bit.

Nice to see OS popping in. Are the Swiss slimmer because of all the feckin hills they have to walk/run/cycle up all the time?

I've been getting some decent volume in. 8 x mile w/30s rest on Thursday (5:26 - 5:31 pace), 20M w/ 5 @ 6:06 yesterday and 51 on the bike this morning. 10 x 1k with the quicker boys tomorrow so my purple Quality Street account is looking good.
24/12/2012 at 08:36

Morning all.

Wardi: I probably did say something sensible about giving the marathon a miss at some point, but then I cracked and here I am, P&D 24 week schedule being followed. Heigh ho!

Nice miles, Phil - and some quality sneaking in there.  I feel tired just at the thought of 8 x 1 miles and then only a few days later 10 x 1k.  Respect!

Short recovery run for me in a bit.  Beautiful day for it

TR
24/12/2012 at 09:13

Al-P - I bet there was some serious flooding in the forest, some of the lanes round here I run and bike on the other sdie of the hill are the wettest I can remember.

PP - good one of the Crowie reps you only need 2 more for the full 10, top idea on the 30sec rest too - all the best folks use that. But a 20 inc MP and 1k reps too. You told Dan that you werent going to peak in January too !

Last 6am session bagged, after a family day tomorrow I can train at 8am until 2nd Jan.

24/12/2012 at 12:53
Jools - congrats on the 5 mile pb, bubka or not if you're in pb shape now it bodes well for the new year.

Good end of year running from lots of you, TR, CW, Padams, Al P, Zattu and some big sessions for PP.

Clearly and Wardi hope the new year funds you in better health.

Happy Christmas to everyone, hope you've all been good this year.

Third week over 80M for me, got another easy 20 done (7.45ish pace) and did my first underwater parkrun in 17.07 on Sat. Looking forward to some dry weather!
24/12/2012 at 15:18

Jools - nice 18 there, good way to start your programme. Are you doing London again?

LJ - decent park run and blimey 80mpw already. What are you aiming at in the spring? (80 already, f@#k me, lol)

PP - after how I've felt the last few days, reading that has almost put me back in bed

Al P - another one with solid miles

Wardi - hope the ribs settle

30 min easy (very) run/jogg but just nice to be out in the fresh air again. I cross trained pretty well last week before I got the flu thing so hopefully should get back to it fairly easily and the hamstring feels ok. Ran a 20 5 weeks ago and have had pretty good consistency this year so I don't think the running will have taken too much of a knock. Xmas morning run tomorrow I reckon.

Edited: 24/12/2012 at 15:19
24/12/2012 at 18:32
LJ - Good mileage. I doubt I'll hit 80, with all the cross training going on. My predictive text wants to call you Ljubljana, which is nice.

RS - I could do with a lie down myself but I think I'll sit in a nice comfy chair in a pub for the evening, drinking Young's Special...

Kept it to 8 x 1k, 1 min recovery. Windy; on an out and back path averaged 3:19/k in one direction and 3:13 in the other. Happy to have a Christmas break now, not sure if I'm running one or two of the next three days but it will all be jogging. Will probably do a parkrun on 29th, and a repeat of today's session on NYE. No plans for any more hard LRs till well into January.

Happy eating and drinking everybody!
24/12/2012 at 19:41

Some impressive long mileage going down in Christmas week - Jools, Al P, LJ, PP take a bow guys.

Abandoned my run at 8 miles yesterday as I didn't feel up to it, but made up for it with 17 today.  Going to run the Richmond parkrun tomorrow morning; love running on Xmas day - makes me feel like Daley Thompson  Usually go to Bushy park but Richmond is nearer.  Might do a lap of the park (7 miles) after so long as I don't get in trouble for turning up late for Christmas lunch.

Anyway, have a great Christmas everyone - hope you all get what you wanted.

24/12/2012 at 21:47
PP - that's some impressive pre Christmas sessions!

LJ - You Oleg is sounding solid, are you planning to push it higher into run up to London?

Dan - nice 17

Did a medium pace 9M today is very damp and windy conditions looping out from my house down to the sea and back. Was very hard going into the wind but the downwind leg along the sea fron was fun! Averaged 6:38/M.
Seemed to have picked up a bit of left ITB pain, felt it on the run, but it just came and went on and off... Felt ok once home, but it's stiffened up and got sore to walk on since Hopefully a rest day will do the trick tomorrow (along with wine and chocolates!)

Hope everyone has a great Christmas
24/12/2012 at 21:51
Dan, my wife being Polish and the Poles opening presents a day early, I was lucky enough to have just openned a nice new training top.

Have a good one all.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.