Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,561 to 92,580 of 107,785 messages
30/12/2012 at 20:17

My base training for becoming a fat adapted runner continues. In that I am managing to force down loads of food without any exercise,so depositing great energy reserves for when I start running again in the new year. I shouldn't need an energy gel for several hundres miles at least

Going out on the bike tomorrow for 3 hours to check if the man flu is definetly in remission. 

Edited: 30/12/2012 at 20:28
A.W
30/12/2012 at 21:01

Good to hear the ribs are getting better Wardi, and the backs improved CW - nice 18 miler too - RS78, hope your back to your normal self sooner rather than later, and hope Al_P's ITB holds up after today's 12.

Good long runs too from Jools, TR, coronium, Cheerful Dave, Lord Didsbury and postie.

Toro - good run at WA, I enjoyed the course apart from the water. I had it as bang on for distance, but guess with those kind of last minute changes there's not a lot they could do.

Just 13 miles for me today and 47 for the week, in to week 3 tomorrow of my schedule for Paris and think the intensity is going to go up a notch over the next few weeks!!!

A.W
30/12/2012 at 21:32
Don't know why I said "most miles" at 6.30 pace. I probably only did about 50 miles in the last eight days (110 miles total) that averaged 6,30. Done a lot of very slow treadmill miles as well cos they don't hurt my knee.

Very strange "injury" I have. Can be very painful - sharp pain on right in the centre of the knee cap. As long as I'm running on fresh legs with a good rhythm I'm ok. I suspect I need to strengthen my quad muscle to stop it pulling on ligaments on the top of my knee cap, since its been like this for six weeks, neither getting better or worse. Done a 10k, 5k and 10m race on it with no pain.

The good news is that I may be getting a bit more economical, since I'm having to concentrate on running fast and strong or slow and springy. I doubt if that makes any sense.....
31/12/2012 at 07:33
I didn't make it out at 4am! Luckily,I should be able to get in a good early PM run as I haven't been long for a couple of weeks. I was in Spain before Xmas and cycled all week with a 4.5km race on the last day. Over Xmas I kept runs to an hour XC.
31/12/2012 at 08:01

Coro - Pasadena HM sounds pretty cool! Sounds like you're still running pretty well - I bet the 20M was at a fairly decent pace...

LD - 92M off one run a week, blimey. The holiday period makes me realise how much training I could do if I was a full-time athlete!

SL - very impressive training.

Weekend for me was 18M on Saturday (a bit shorter now as only 2 weeks to the ultra), and just over 70M on the bike yesterday (very windy and hilly!). Allowing for punctures and a brief stop at a cafe we were out for over 5 hours yesterday - was pretty hungry and tired by the end!

31/12/2012 at 09:07
Padams - yes, the week before what with shopping, office dos and work was a miserly 90 miles.

In fact, were I an athlete I'd be running em 90 secs/mile quicker (i presume) and would have done 110 miles in the time I ran.

They are a right set of pussies aren't they? Anyone see them on Superstars that was around to see the original 70s shows? Bloody hell, this lot were completely useless weren't they?

No wonder they all need grants, I doubt if most of them have the strength or muscle co-ordination to even stack shelves.
31/12/2012 at 09:51

All right Coro

Welcome Toro

SL - Bloody hell, I thought I was doing well with 5 x 20 milers over four months.  3 in a week?!

I managed to keep up a decent level of training over the festive eating period. From Xmas Day: 14, 9, rest (dog walking), 13, 8. The 13 was a mixed hill and tempo interval session and the 8 was a pissed-up run back from a pub in East London at 2am yesterday, incl. an undefined distance (no Garmin, and I was pissed) tempo section of the Regent's Canal when I got a bit carried away trying to keep up with Prog in a 9/8 beat. (#iPlod.)

So has anyone done the Finchley 20?  I know JAP has cos I saw his lovely mug on the home page. 

31/12/2012 at 10:06

PP - yep, I've done it a few years ago. I like the 4 laps as it's good for marathon training e.g. you could aim for 34 mins first lap, then 32, 30, 28, or something like that. Dan had a really good run there one year (2:03 maybe, beat me), and Marders did a ridiculous time there at least once.

Nice training by the way. I've never tried doing a decent length run when drunk, so would be interested to try it - in your mind you think you can run really fast but maybe that doesn't happen in reality. The closest I came was on a running pub crawl where we started racing the last few.

TR
31/12/2012 at 10:27

Dids - 50M at not much slower than MP is still impressive, I'm chugging out 8mm at the mo. Agreed, its not good seeing olympic heroes struggling in other sports, I'm probably a better all round sportsman than some of those. Wouldnt mind a few gym tests with that Helen Glover though !

Padams - good long run and bike combo, windy day for biking y'day.

PP - pissed up run home, in your disco dancing shoes ?

I did Padams 3x20min in my 90min turbo today, pushed a biggish gear (~80rpm) on the efforts. One more ~90min run tomorrow and then I'm back to normal training, thats 90min to 2 hrs every day since Weds 19th (except for a rest day Christmas day).

31/12/2012 at 11:05

Seasonal greetings... long time etc etc 

Not sure if I'm the first of the returnee's but I just had to. Posting again in an attempt to legitimise another campaign and hopefully instill some much needed discipline. 

I've had a hellish couple of years with work taking over my life (bad times). Went freelance and now sort of wish I hadn't. Busy is good but too busy is bad. I still need to adjust to that side of things. 

Goals: If I can get anywhere near where I was FOUR years ago I'll be made up. So far I've only entered Wilmslow Half but probably looking at Manchester for the 'A' race. Its the one I bailed on last spring and its not sold out yet.

Glad to see familiar faces. Reading about all the training makes me feel a proper lazy git - which is inspiring. I'm hoping with some more free time (I'm making space for some and a contract ends in 2 months) I can get back on track. 

TTFN SJ (long time lurker, recreational poster from a few years back)

31/12/2012 at 12:45

Saintjason, that name sounds familiar.... 

First run of marathon training today - a recovery 5 miler. It was hellish. Admittedly I needed some recovery from yesterday's 16 mile point to point run straight into a monster headwind on the route of the Northumberland Coastal with extra added in, and it was pretty windy still today, but really, 8.55 pace? And it didn't feel *that* easy. Not helped by a cramping stomach. Cereal instead of porridge for breakfast was clearly not a good choice. The only way is up I suppose. 

31/12/2012 at 15:30
Ho hum, not doing well at the moment. Yesterday's inadvertent 12M has proved to be a bit much for my left IT band and it's relapsed a bit tried a joy this morning, but it was sore for the start, so just a little bit to warm up followed by some stretches to try and free it up. I'm figuring that it's likely to be glute related so I'm focusing on stretching there and doing a bit of manual massage too. Not got many other options being away from home on holiday... I'm entered in the Hampshire XC Champs on Saturday, so going to be off running for another day or two so it hopefully recovers sufficiently.
31/12/2012 at 17:14
Saintjason - the years when I worked hardest (setting up a business ) were also ones when I started doing big miles. Both sort of fuelled each other. I was often working away, running late, eating late, sleeping about 5/6 hours/night...and coping fine with it all.

That included running at 4am prior to a flight to Cork, in Amsterdam at midnight, using airport and train station left luggage so runs could still be done.

(When I went on holiday, however, I would feel completely drained once there was no work to be motivated by.)

Now the demands of work aren't so great I just sleep a bit more instead. Maybe that's why Thatcher slept 4 hours/night when she was PM.... always something better to do than snooze.

As Huggy Bear once said "put the body forward and the mind will follow"
31/12/2012 at 18:02

Evening all.  Nice to hear from Saint Jason (it's been a while!).  Looks like some (Dids, Phil, SL) are training very hard.  To think I was pleased with myself for getting out for 12M this morning in the rain whilst on a long NYE weekend away in Devon.  Undid the good work with crumpets and cake in Totnes this afternoon, however

May 2013 be a year replete with PBs for the thread!

TR
31/12/2012 at 18:36

Nice to see SJ back again, hope you find enough time to bag another sub3.

Al_P - a bit of roller and stretching should see you ok, esp if it let you do 12M y'day.

more good miles there Jools, I'm not training hard yet its all easy paced stuff here, I'm not looking to see any peaks until April.

31/12/2012 at 18:59

Welcome back SJ, just be patient and the form should come back.

An excellent weekend of weekend training from PP & Padams.

After recent mileage Jools I think the pastry intake is well deserved!

Al P.. the one time I had ITB probs my Physio sorted it - with some rather painful 'elbow in' massage!

TR.. you are getting good value out of that turbo, still making puddles?

Cracking mileage Lord Dids & SL.

CC2.. brownie points to you for 16m into a headwind!

Pleased to report my rib passed the test in a 14.2 miler today.  It seems most cranky first thing in a morning but eases up when I am on my feet.  Chuffed with the progress.  We have 11 of us for dinner at our house tonight (plus lots of wine & champers) so a woozy evening beckons.

Happy New Year to all of you, hope you have a good one!  

31/12/2012 at 19:25

Attempt at 8@8's as a recovery this morning which I almost managed with mile splits between 7:15 and 7:45.
No run tomorrow with commutes from Wednesday.

Happy New year to all.

TR
01/01/2013 at 11:27

Wardi - nice one on the 14M, the rib must be healing a bit. I've been making big puddles lately.

12M bagged, aerobic base camp is finished.

Happy New Year folks, lets hope its a healthy one with lots of consistency.

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 11:27
01/01/2013 at 12:47

Happy New Year everyone: Not too much from me on here over the last year but it's been one injury after the next. I am marathon training again now so may try to pop in when I can.

01/01/2013 at 13:57
Happy New Year everyone.

I have just finished reading "The Chimp Paradox" so my New Years resolution is to get my human to manage my chimp as effectively as possible

Hope everyone has a healthy and PB-filled New year
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.