Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,581 to 92,600 of 107,735 messages
01/01/2013 at 17:04
Just done 11.1 in 76 min. Felt good although not looked at stats yet was below 150 for a lot of the time. Yesterday was a false start (1hr turbo trainer).

I just did a loop of Portsmouth but got lost (again) in the north of the city.

Lovely day for it and sunset. Going to eat pie and chocolate now.
TR
01/01/2013 at 17:30

Good to see MrB (2:45 this year ?) and mmmmarmite (are you doing VLM ?)

Toro - I live just North of there (at the bottom of Portsdown Hill).

01/01/2013 at 17:53

TR: Since GSR I've been suffering with shinsplints which has now cleared up. I started my 18 wk schedule with next to no base but I'm targeting 2:45 pace...we'll see what happens; hope all's well with you.

01/01/2013 at 17:59

TR - I keep getting lost in Hilsea!  It's lovely and flat so can't complain.  We are in Southsea.  Where do you go for longer runs or shelter?  As beautiful as it is I fear that the longer runs may get a bit dull if I start doubly back along the seafront or Eastern Road.  Similarly it's a bit exposed.  I suppose I could just man up!  

75% (144) was my average HR although it did creep to 80% but my last 2 miles were 6:45 so a little quicker than the rest of the run,  I think the fear of running through North End may have had an effect!

01/01/2013 at 18:13

Backed up yesterday's 12 miler with a 14 miler today, but braved the Devonian hills (road, not mud!) to clear the head.  Some were a bit of a grind, but I'm sure it did me good.

Toro: I've got family in Hilsea.  Lovely place

Glad to hear you are running more comfortably again, Wardi: hope this continues into 2013 for you.

Nice to hear from Mr. B. as well.  VLM for you this year?

A.W
01/01/2013 at 18:47
Happy New Year all.

Got a very hungover set of 5 mile reps done today, was close to losing my breakfast at times! Happy to get it done with splits of 5.55, 6.15, 5.56, 6.13 and 5.56. Reps 2 and 4 were into a strongish head wind, couldn't hold 6 minute mile pace for them in my condition today!
A.W
TR
01/01/2013 at 20:13

MrB - there's lots of base in that 18 weeks, so you've plenty of time. I'm  a bit behind where I usually am mileage wise, but should be ok for another sub3 attempt. Plenty of time yet. I'm in the Coro 8 week club nowadays.

Toro - you can do an approx 14M complete lap of the city using the Eastern Rd, Bransbury, Seafront, Portsea, Hilsea, Cosham and could then tag extras on. I mostly run on the other side of the hill (which means I have to get up it first), and on the Havant Road. My long runs are loops of the farm lanes over the back of the hill, inc Mill Lane, Widley Walk etc plus getting there and back.

Jools - blimey, every time I post some decent miles you pop up and trump it !

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 20:14
01/01/2013 at 20:27

Happy New Year! 

Cheers for warm welcomes.

CC2 - Nice to see you here Speedy... presume you're going along quite nicely? 

LD - I can certainly survive on 4 hours sleep as that's about as much as I'm getting. I've certainly missed the stress-relieving properties of running. Hoping that all the stars align and I find balance in 2013.

Jools - it has been a while! Last time we spoke you were doing an ultra?? 

TR - thanks man! Ever the gracious gent on here wishing others well. 

Wardi - paiteince?? runners??? not sure I follow  I think it'll be a while before I'm up at the sharp end on a Tuesday night with the Sale lot. Some quickies down there now. 

15 to kick the year off on my hilly route (first 5 are all up). This in itself is an achievement as I usually card a zero on 1st Jan.

I was enjoying the scenery until about 11 miles when my legs started to complain of the lack of running recently.

Aerobically I felt fine as my commute to the studio Ive been working at is mainly via bike.

Its a start at least. 

01/01/2013 at 20:55

JS - to be honest sub - 3 is a bit of an ask, but I'm getting there. I was just wondering other day what became of all the other Super Sixers, not just our lot, but the marathon lot too. So many folks seem to have had nasty injuries or just lost momentum all together, I was beginning to think I was the only survivor. Glad to know you're still out there banging out decent times too  (For anyone wondering what on earth I'm on about, Saintjason and I were the two, ahem, 'fast' members of the Lucozade Super Six for the Great North Run in 2008). 

TR
01/01/2013 at 21:27

CC - we know SJ too, he was here for a while and bagged some decent times, before the stresses of life took over a bit. Has he seen your full range of boots ?

SJ - I'm happy to see sub3 aspirants, esp ones that have been there with us before.

01/01/2013 at 22:29

Today I did 9.61mil for an hour and Yesterday I did 6.54mil for 40min. Tomorrow 40,30.

02/01/2013 at 06:45
TR - have entered VLM so hope to be there unless I fall to bits (again). Are you planning to run again this year?
02/01/2013 at 07:49

Jools: nice mileage. I will try my best to be at VLM.

Cheers TR, it'd be good to meet up again at VLM....I know you'll be there anyway. So will I if can keep it all together this time.

02/01/2013 at 09:37
I will also be there but I am only a lonely ballot entry. Should stop me blowing up in the first mile. I've just done 5.8 mile along seafront. A few crazy old dears swimming and New Years Resolution Runners (spot them a mile off)!

TR -thanks!
Jools - it looks lovely.
TR
02/01/2013 at 09:50

marmite/MrB - I have a GFA place again, struggling a bit for enough Sunday "me" time to run long recently so might have to juggle things around a bit, but I intend on putting on a 6 to 8 week block of more VLM specific work nearer the time. Dont want to peak too early though.

Toro - those mad swimmers are there all year round ! I rarely get in there in my wettie, summer included. 

02/01/2013 at 10:04

Morning all, happy new year and hope everyone's as excited about getting back to work as I am. 

sj - Nice to see you!  Good luck getting back to the sharp end.

I managed to squeeze in one last 8x1k session before the end of the year, which gives me a multi-discipline-tastic training summary which looks a bit like this:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8337577238_0764a5f539_b.jpg

Hopefully this year will be a little less wet and I'll clock up more proper outdoor miles on the bike but all in all, very happy with my most consistent year's training to date.

02/01/2013 at 10:33
Phil - that's an impressive spreadsheet!
02/01/2013 at 10:59

Welcome back mmarmite, SJ, MrB and (I think) GAWD.

Toro -- if you've got some race form (e.g. in half marathons) it might be worth trying to blag an upgrade on the phone with the VLM people -- might get put at the front of the ballot mass at least, I don't know, and maybe even get sneaked into the GFA pen. No harm in asking. And they play the music if you're put on hold...

12M this morning with 5x0.5M, but all rather sluggish. I jumped on the bathroom scales after a week or so away and they pretty much told me to jump off again -- up ~2kg maybe -- so am trying to rein in Christmas excesses now (but there's still a chocolate sting in the tail). Next stop, Cambs county XC on Sunday, where I don't expect to be terribly quick. And my pesky inside R tib is still niggling a bit, despite trying the "eat plenty and have rest days" tactic over the holidays -- I'd like to be clear of that before embarking on proper half/marathon training. It just went when I had it previously in Apr/May.

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 11:40
02/01/2013 at 12:05

Happy New Year all!

Looks like some really solid training being put in by some recently.

For me, the last few weeks have been a bit lacking in running focus so have just been ticking over really. The other half had a hernia op between Christmas and New Year so I racked up a 3rd consecutive DNS for the Ribble Valley 10k. Could have probably made it, but didn't really feel up for it.

Lots of XC fixtures coming up and Helsby Half in a few weeks where I usually run well. Marathon training officially kicks off next week but this week will probably end up around 70m with an XC race and 20 miler at the weekend so I think I may have already begun! 

02/01/2013 at 12:12

Happy New Year everyone! Hope you all had a good one.

PP - impressive year of training, well over an hour a day on average. I had 424 hours, so slightly less than you, and more weighted to cycling than yours (over 4,000M cycling and under 1,500M running).

Toro - it's a website called fetcheveryone.com which I also use to record my training.

Didn't make it up in time for our 9am bike ride yesterday but did do some XC-style reps on the grass in the afternoon with the club.

County XC champs on Sunday - really not looking forward to it, as the last time we ran on this course it was very muddy and will be much worse this year I imagine (and I'm rubbish in mud). Oh well!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.