Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,761 to 92,780 of 108,486 messages
08/01/2013 at 15:00

Used a bread maker on holiday once. The bread was nice but the loaves were tall and a bugger to cut for sandwiches. Oh scraped an easy 8 commute this morning after 15 commute yesterday. Currently trying to build a base this month before starting on speed work properly in Febuary.

08/01/2013 at 15:02

TR/LJ - cheers, LJ what race are you doing, it sounds like it's soon?

08/01/2013 at 15:02

Postie - That is a problem if you make the bigger (1kg) loaf but you get a much better shaped loaf if you do a 750g one.  Good base mileage.

08/01/2013 at 15:09

RS - I'm doing VLM so it's not soon but I'm trying a higer mileage approach to running overall.  I'm running nearly all my runs quite slow at the moment whilst I get used to the higher mileage but when I start training for VLM specifically I'll start putting some more effort in.  

08/01/2013 at 16:19

So who else is doing VLM, I can see LJ is and what times (other than sub 3!!) are you after?

I am asking as the whole pacing bit is the one part that worries me.  I 'nibbled' five and a quarter minutes off of my HM PB in November (now 80:42) which is what is giving me some confidence about aiming for a sub 3.  Problem is EVERYONE without exception says don't be tempted to go off too fast, yep I get it......but what IS too fast?

08/01/2013 at 16:40

Bit early for tergets  BC  ;-)  

In my experience you'll know what MP is from your training, then be sensible on the day. If you're pushing the pace before mile 18-20 then you're probably working too hard.

08/01/2013 at 16:56

BC - There's the simple, if slightly facetious answer: if your target is sub 6:53/m, anything much quicker than that is going out too fast!  (Small technicality with London: around mile 3 you're travelling slightly downhill, which might justify getting a few seconds in the bank, but let's not complicate things...)  We'll no doubt have a more detailed debate about the merits of either small positive or negative splits, or running according to HR, etc. but IMO you can't go too far wrong with even pacing.  An 80 minute HM is a more than useful starting point for a crack at sub-3, so you just need to make sure the endurance is there to prevent the wheels coming off along the Embankment.

Erm, has anyone been to Oakham?  I've just booked my train tickets (overnight stay) for the Duathlon at Rutland Water.  Any recommendations for B&B and/or fine food/ale pubs gratefully received.   

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 17:05
A.W
08/01/2013 at 17:17

Hello and welcome Bertie C!

RS78 - glad to hear the leg has recovered and your back to pain free running, hope your road back in to training proper is smooth!

13 miles at MP sounds like a whole lot of hard work PP! Not sure I could summons up the will power in the middle of a heavy weeks training?!

8 x 800M reps done earlier today, paces were pretty good all but 1 around the 2.50-2.55 mark, but felt a whole lot of effort for it today. Legs were screaming at me to stop during the first couple, then things were ok for the rest.

A.W
08/01/2013 at 17:26

Washing machines, bread-making...: you guys are so domesticated!

TR
08/01/2013 at 18:08

PP - we'll see how you get on then. Not much cycling in there for a Duathlon goal though !

RS/LJ - 6x20+, sounds similar then. I think I got caught up in doing to omay long runs, too many fast long runs and too many long runs that were too long. I remembered back to my first mara (2:52) and then I only did 7x20 and 1x22. So its 8 tops for me now and no chasing lots of longer longer runs. You need to allocate an extra week or two though in case for some reason you miss one like me this year when I missed 2 at the start of March.

08/01/2013 at 19:01
TR - duathlon training is definitely a little compromised, with VLM being the main focus, but as well as the long rides in the schedule the mid-week gym sessions will include at least one spin class and a rather frisky 1hr exercise bike session which I've been using for 2x15min threshold, will try to progress this to 2x20mins at harder effort. I might even try the odd brick!
08/01/2013 at 19:24
Five 20-22 milers is good enough for me.

Took a couple of iboprofen earlier and calf feeling loads better. Hurrah.
TR
08/01/2013 at 20:06

Dids - good news on the calf, I find massage and hot water bottle help mine when the occur. Waht sort of distances do you do for the other long runs betwwen now and the 20s ?

PP - sounds like VLM is your main focus though. I dodnt bother with bricks apart from a couple of miles off the odd long bike. But I do race build up races on tired legs and I guess you will need to be running fast for your duathlon. That joke on Keirs thread made me laugh !

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 20:09
08/01/2013 at 21:04
TR - don't know, play it by ear.
Blisters    pirate
08/01/2013 at 21:31

I mended the washing machine this week, and made bread. All I need to do now is to get the @rse out of the door and do some training. Losing half a stone would help.

08/01/2013 at 21:35

Hello all,

Not been on here for a fair while. TBH I've just been keeping my head down and getting through Xmas and the New Year, which was a bit strange this year.

Still, I heard you were talking about Master Bakers so I thought I'd pop in.

Hope you're all well

08/01/2013 at 21:49

hi all.

im hoping to do a sub 3 in may i have only ran one marathon that was last may i finished in 3:28:42 but felt i had more in the tank. i trained for 14 weeks on a beginners plan. my last 5k was last week and i finished in 18:02 my last 10k was 39:42.  i have been running 25-30 miles weekly since june. 

in last months marathon edition of RW i was looking at the improvers training plan. im looking for advice. is this mileage enough? and how much does high intensity quality training count in comparison to just clocking up miles?

08/01/2013 at 21:54

Dids.. good luck with the calf, dosen't sound too serious.  Nicely done with the sub 80 half, so you didn't have to eat your shorts after all!  Bet the prospect of having to chew through your waistband and gusset helped put a spring in your step! 

Nice effort in the cold DanA, good to see you are still coming up for the York BM.  Whatever you do don't don't fly up with this lot!.

Cracking XC efforts at the weekend, hats off to Jools, CC2, Padams, Charlie, Al P & PP.

Lots of long runs being logged, must be January!  Well toughed out to Andy D, SL, CD, Blisters, Toro, CL, TR & ES.

RM.. good to see you popping in, hope to say hello at the BM.  Any chance you can have a cup of tea ready for when I finish? 

SJ.. bad luck fella, more patience I say!

Marmite.. splendid progression on view.  When are you due to fall to bits this year? 

Jools.. domesticated?  On our club run tonight we were discussing the best stuff to unblock a bunged up shower plughole!

My Sunday 5m club race was as below par as I expected.  Nursing poorly ribs for 3 weeks wasn't the best preparation so 33:32 was all I could muster.  Nice conditions though so I did enjoy it.  Still, I'm over the worst so onwards & upwards.  Did a bit before & after to give me 11.5m for the day.

Did the 13m running commute home last night & 7m with the club tonight.

Welcome to Bertie C.

Ay up LS21.  Are you running the BM?

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 21:55
08/01/2013 at 21:59

wardi - yes mate. Reckon I might win it this year, and break marders' course record too.

08/01/2013 at 22:15
This weekend's running was fuelled by homemade naan breads and pizza. As the marathon campaign takes shape I may have to whip up a batch or 2 of flapjacks.

Oh yeah, 13.5 easy tonight.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.