Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,781 to 92,800 of 108,712 messages
09/01/2013 at 07:07

SL - enjoyed them all, Avenue of the Giants is unique and Boston was classic, but if I could only name one favourite it would have to be Berlin.

Jools - guessing you don't like Vegemite either then?

TR - in fairness I was wearing a thermal longsleave under my Marmite vest. Do you not wear a vest when out running on hot days in the summer?

LD - good to hear the calf is recovering, you could've come to our session last night. If you're still in Nottingham and fancy a run this evening drop me a line.

LJ - dunno what VLM target will be yet, I'd just like to get to the start line in one piece given the injury disasters that scuppered '10, '11 and '12.

LS21 - damn! You beat me to the punchline. Good to see you.

Wardi - that made me laugh, I usually schedule my meltdown for the beginning of the taper once all the hard work is done. Sounds like a solid 5 miler given rib trouble, onwards and upwards as you say.

09/01/2013 at 08:30

Marmite - I had a stinker at Berlin (death march from 20) but would like to go back at some point, if only for the currywurst and beer.

LD - Seems like positive news.

Wardi - Seems like a decent work out all things considered.

Andy D - you're knocking in some miles, how are the legs?

10 last night with 2 miles at 5.30's, work to be done......

09/01/2013 at 08:44
Marmite - thanks for the offer. i was only there for the afternoon. I was mostly making my contribution to the local rock and roll scene. (In a boring IT sort of way).

I missed my train back and ended up wandering around the Nottingham city centre just after 6pm. Couldn't believe that everything bar Tesco, Costa and Sainsbury etc were closed at that time. It was like a bloody ghost town. hardly anyone around, as i trudged despondently around. the streets weren't busy with traffic either. isn't that a bit weird? Its usually massively busy in Manchester and I'm sure most shops are still open til 7-8pm.
OS
09/01/2013 at 09:18

Some cracking training and posting going on.  I have nothing to say about bread making (I can make toast, but that may not be make me look so windswept and interesting), but I can report some running, with amongst much other training three runs in the last 5 days of 10m or more.  Lightweight by some standards, but signals the start of marathon training for me,  I am still a bit cautious as I have flirted with the bench for most of the last two years. 

Marmite, your marathon history is very similar to mine, right up to the point when you started running loads of miles and really fast times. My first 'run' was a 3 49 at FLM in 1996, and I nibbled up to 5-10 minute bits off of this to sub 3 without ever getting above ~35mpw.  When I was ultimately running higher mileage, I never gave myself a decent chance at a good marathon run, but got what i consider to be more respectable PBs at shorter distances. Now I like the idea of at least beating that 3 49 by 60 mins (current PB is 2 53).

OS
09/01/2013 at 09:36

Any Villa fans want to talk about footie

09/01/2013 at 09:54
Wahey. You a City fan Brian? Awesome wasn't it? Still don't think we'll do it but you couldn't ask for a better start!
09/01/2013 at 09:56

"Let 'em all come down TO THE DEEEEEEEEEENNNNN!"

Sorry, got a bit carried away there.  Millwall vs Villa, next round of the cup.  What are you northern folk going on about? 

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 09:58
09/01/2013 at 10:20

I repeat the comment from pages back:

How do you have time to work, train and post on here! 

I am back to work proper now and so using the commute as my training on the whole.  Still got a "look" when I said I was leaving work early on Friday... to go for a long ride.   

I have procastinated all morning trying to stalk a work colleague's running results but they are few and far between.  He has clearly improved a lot and beat me by a minute in Nov but I have since lost 3kg and improved my 10km time 1:30 since Oct.  We have a race next Wednesday so I think it will be close.  I doubt he has improved much and believe it will come down to a mental battle - I am going to hang on to his coat tails with the aim to pass in the final stages unless it feels too slow. 

09/01/2013 at 10:26

TR- I'm still missing a 0,4 and a 6. Other half finishes maternity in early March so it may be a let's see if I can 2.59 on 25mpw! Obviously I'll talk LS21 into a 2.45 and bottle it past the pub in the 2nd mile with the pirates and ease back

Nice to see OO and other familiar faces back as well as the new folks. Didn't OO get the first fred mara win at Dartmoor Vale?

2007- Think I saw PP go off into the distance over Tower Bridge as I eased up after my Rome disaster 5 weeks earlier.

Selbs- Hope things going well. 7 months here and loving it. It is flying by though- as per SL/RJ's wise words.

09/01/2013 at 10:31
Mark O' Dwyer wrote (see)

in last months marathon edition of RW i was looking at the improvers training plan. im looking for advice. is this mileage enough? and how much does high intensity quality training count in comparison to just clocking up miles?

Hi Mark, off-hand I don't know what this particular schedule looks like but I can imagine if it's a RW plan it's probably way too prescriptive on "speedwork" and intervals. 25 - 30mpw is simply not enough mileage for a sub-3, unless you're incredibly talented and/or doing a shed-load of other stuff (cycling/tri training, etc.)

Even your conversion from 5k to 10k suggests that simply getting the mileage up is far and away your biggest priority for getting into marathon shape. I'd suggest you want to be building up to 45 - 50mpw minimum, including a weekly long run, a mid-week longish run, and other than that mainly easy pace miles with maybe some tempo and marathon-pace running.  Sub-3 may still be a tall order for the foreseeable future; general consensus seems to be minimum requirements over shorter distances are around 38 mins for 10k or 1:23 for a half.

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 10:32
09/01/2013 at 10:38

Sorry for this temporary intrusion, and talking about non-running related topic (more interesting the Triathlon though)

Race Jase, Born and bred. Magical magical night. Didn't realise you were local? Really enjoyed it 'specially cos I missed the Arsenal game (in the States). You going down to the Villa?

PP, Are Millwall in the Rover Lada Daf Van trophy thingy?

09/01/2013 at 10:50

Ode! - They're all coming out.  See you in the Red Lion about 1pm then?

Brian - Ha!  We've already reached the dizzy heights of round 4 of the FA Cup!  I said to my dad at the weekend, it's about time we had a lucky draw and bluffed our way to the final again, only to be soundly thrashed by a team from Manchester.  I'm not fussed which one.

A fairly comfortable 10 x 800 last night, all 2:32 - 2:35.  Marafun training isn't killing me so far, almost looking forward to 11 @ ~MP tomorrow.

09/01/2013 at 11:22
Mark O' Dwyer wrote (see)

of RW i was looking at the improvers training plan. im looking for advice. is this mileage enough? and how much does high intensity quality training count in comparison to just clocking up miles?

If I remember correctly there is an Advanced plan too?  That is closer to standard sub-3 plans. 

09/01/2013 at 11:26

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-basic-marathon-schedules/118.html

I think they are these or similar. Not got the magazine here to compare them to.

TR
09/01/2013 at 11:34

Marmite - I'm never out there in the heat of the day, so a T shirts does the job.

Brian - Villa fans dont know anything about footy since their last manager was in power. COuld be worse though, they could be a Pompey fan, we are only allowed to give players a 1 month contract, so they all up and leave. of the 12 players on the 2013 calendar they expect 3 to still be there by the end of Jan. !

Ode - I'd rather save the 2:59 for 2017, so I rather aim 4 or 6. Could aim for the 0 but if it ended in a 1, 2 or 3 it'd be a waste ! 

09/01/2013 at 11:57

Happy New Year folks old and new!

Somehow I find myself slightly less fat than usual at this time of year.  Not had norovirus so must have a tapeworm or something.  Whatever the reason, I'm hopeful of putting some proper speed into the legs before VLM to go with the endurance base built last year.

Hope also to see a few of you at Brass Monkey.  I'll be the one looking depressed and skint having forked out 2 x £34 to see my footy team get kicked in the arse by Dirty Leeds the day before.

09/01/2013 at 13:31

We’re not so dirty these day’s Njord, more of a soft touch, much to my dismay! But agreed on the crazy ticket prices at ER, hoping the new owners address this next season.

Anyway, lots of great running going on here, it’ll be good to see a few of you and put a name to a face or two at Brass Monkey. All things being equal I reckon a crack at sub 80 is on the cards for me, anyone else have a similar target?

09/01/2013 at 13:40

Bratfurt? Dirty Leeds?

I was lucky enough to be brought up in Leeds during the magnificent (and very dirty) Don Revie era, and went all the way through the downs, ups and downs until 2004, when my I decided I was a glory hunter and my season ticket was duly not renewed.

However, before my Dad would let us loose in the boys pen at Elland Road, I served a sort of Apprenticeship at Valley Parade (1972 ish) , where I learnt the skill of standing for 90 mins when all I wanted was to go home and play with my train set. So, well done to them for last night.

These days I occasionally watch Accrington, Guiseley and Man City....oh and Leeds once a year, but lost any appetite for it years ago.

09/01/2013 at 14:06
Brian, I live in Kent now but lived in bradford from the age of 5-12 (born in Harrogate). Used to go home and away for a number of years but if I'm honest cant really class myself as a supporter these days bar the odd match down this way. Moving back to Yorkshire in a few months though so family permitting may make it to the odd game. I may try to get to villa, see if I can tie it up with a business meeting. You going?
09/01/2013 at 14:39

Let's not talk football.  I'm a Reading fan, insofar as I support any team these days...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.