Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,801 to 92,820 of 109,139 messages
09/01/2013 at 14:39

My days of regularly attending football matches are long gone.  Matchday prices are obscence these days, and I live too far from Bristol to get a season ticket.  

Back when I did regularly attend Ashton Gate, I was grateful for Leeds and Bradford selling us two of our modern-day legends - Super Bobby Taylor and Brian Tinman Tinnion - albeit plying their trades for us in the lower reaches of the football league.  
I was in short trousers during our most successful period back in the late seventies, during which we played a robust style of football with ex-Leeds Norman Bite-Yer-Legs Hunter and ex-Man City battering ram Joe Royle.  Since then, we've been mostly playing expansive but ineffective football.  Ex-Pompey Tony Pulis managed us for a while, but he was ex-Bristol Rovers so hated us as much as we hated him, and he never hung around long enough to stop us playing football.

Leeds are one of those clubs (along with Cardiff, Sheffield United, Stoke, Birmingham and Millwall) that I've never warmed to.  The best thing about travelling to away matches for me is sharing a beer with opposition fans in the pub before and after games, but it's just not sensible at these places.  Unfortunately, my club is blessed with a similar contingent of morons as the aforementioned, so I'd be surprised if we weren't included in the equivalent lists of many other teams' fans.

Think I'll stick with beach volleyball.

09/01/2013 at 14:40

x-post

sorry Joolska

09/01/2013 at 14:50
Njord wrote (see)

Leeds are one of those clubs (along with Cardiff, Sheffield United, Stoke, Birmingham and Millwall) that I've never warmed to.  The best thing about travelling to away matches for me is sharing a beer with opposition fans in the pub before and after games, but it's just not sensible at these places.

That's hard to deny unfortunately.    You just need to be selective which of their fans you share a drink with. 

Sorry Jools.

With images of TR's garage in my mind I ramped up the usual 2 x 15mins on the bike to 2 x 20mins at the same level and it was relatively comfortable. (Level 10 @ 100rpm = ~240W apparently, although I guess that's fairly meaningless.)  Level 11 next time I think, at least for some of it.  That gym floor's gonna get damn wet.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
09/01/2013 at 15:11

You have one of those bikes that goes to 11?  Is that like, 1 harder?

Decent midweek training for me so far.  Yesterday evening I took advantage of taking junior to a club session (one of the local ones has a sizable kids group) to fit in 7.5m tempo, and the streets were for the most part well enough lit to keep a decent pace.  Today was lunchtime intervals, 7x0.5m and the quickest for a while.  Turbo tonight if other things allow.

09/01/2013 at 15:23

Spinal Tap exercise bike threshold session!!

09/01/2013 at 17:51

sorry to butt back in, just to answer a couple of queries (thanks for asking btw folks!), 2013 will not be my year (running wise) but hopefully it will be the getting back to running at some point year!   rehab still pretty bad, 7 months almost post op, and still no chance of running can't do a one legged squat (or small dip even) yet, but still things are improving a bit very slowly.  still of view op was a mistake at present and unlikely to even get back to pre op state my knee, but we'll see how it is later in the year.

Baby is awesome, really enjoying it, lack of sleep hard, but everything else just great. had a few ups and downs over past few months, cancer scare for wife, (still not really resolved so an op to remove a lump in March to look forward to) and myself having a bout of food poisining or noro virus (still that got rid of 3-4kg extra i was carrying at the time!! most of which i have managed to keep off for now).  and i have lost my job (well i decided not to renew my contract after the offer was at a reduced rate - so decided to head to NZ for a couple of months - off soon - so not really all bad).  anyway, its been interesting but 95% all good really!  and can't complain about spending mid Jan to mid March in NZ summer!!

anyway, will continue to lurk and put my oar in here and there, and good luck for everyone building for marathons in the spring or ultra/tri/duathlon glory!

hope to report a slow return to jogging in the spring myself, but we'll see.

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 17:53
TR
09/01/2013 at 18:01

Selbs - sounds like a tough time, all the best with it all.

PP- nice one, its worth trying to push bigger gears at times to build leg strength, but you might need to do shorter reps (depening upon how low you drop the cadence). I did a tough 60min turbo this morning and wondered if I'd be able to complete it after about 20mins.

YD - I saw on Keirs thread that you've been training hard and have more hard work planned. Make sure that you take some easy time after that 1/2 and make sure that you save enough matches for your marathon. You don't want to struggle first time out. It'd be very easy to get carried away with doing too much.

60min turbo and swapped my swim for a 5M womble. Thats gives me 4 running days/week, in a 4 or 5 weeks time I'll change Weds to another commute or a MLR.

09/01/2013 at 18:16

Selbs - couple of tough things there, glad you're positive overall though and enjoying mini-Selbs.

Good reps from PP and CD and lots of midweek training going on from TR.

Toro - good luck with beating your work colleague.

Did 10 with some effort in last night, didn't really have a plan when I started, just ran the first 5 miles with clubmates at then sped up on my own for the last 5 which were done 5.48-5.50 pace, 10 was about 61.30 in all.  15 very slippery miles along the canal today.  Worryingly I'm starting to get some pain in my right shin now which feels like the problem I had in the other one last year so am going to be careful with that.

OS
09/01/2013 at 20:36
Loved the "one harder" line

Selbs. Thanks for the update. Sounds like a mixed bag, but great you are focused on the positives. Life can throw a lot at us- I had two funerals in 6 weeks this year which was more than sobering.

Had a nice 5k burst on the treadmill at work gym before cycling home. Amazing variation in pace, with all of the other ten (post new year) folks covering a pace I am fairly sure I could have walked at. Reminded me of a nice vid on YouTube- not sure how to post a link on this gadget but search for "what does a 2 hour marathon look like?". Makes 3hrs look very pedestrian. (and before anyone says it, Infirmly believe the answer to the question is "not possible")
OS
09/01/2013 at 21:04
OS sadly I was on a treadmill yest doing some cross training which meant highest incline hard walking and my heart rate hit about half marathon to 10km effort and I worked out that it would take me about 7-8 hours to do a marathon. Not too happy about that and frankly does feel a tad embarrasing at the gym!! I couldn't even speed up and run fast when the hot chicks hopped on nearby apparatus so had to go hide in weights area
09/01/2013 at 21:31

It's been a bit of a year for you, Selbs.  Hope things pan out ok for you, Mrs. Selbs and Selbs junior in 2013.  Enjoy your time back in NZ.

09/01/2013 at 21:45
Keeping positive though honest it's really all good once we get over this lump thing really that's it. So I have a dicky knee who cares not important in scheme of things I'll just have to find something else to enable me to eat and drink so much (although not given up running just yet... Just saying not end of world and all that, just hope I can still snowboard or kick a footy with the lad in future!!)

Back in my box
10/01/2013 at 07:55

selbs - quite a lot going on there! Look after the family - as you say, there are more important things than a dodgy knee. In a few months everything could be sorted and you'll be in a better place than before (and I don't just mean NZ vs. UK!).

Easy run and turbo for me yesterday, Not much else planned before Saturday, probably just one easy run. Weather forecast is not great - possibly snow/rain and a stiff headwind the entire way!

A.W
10/01/2013 at 08:07
Padams - are you running country 2 capital? My girlfriend and brother are running it, I'm going to be marshalling at the finish too. Best of luck with it, think there's a fair bit of mud on route!!
A.W
10/01/2013 at 08:44

AW - yes. Not quite sure how it's going to go, but looking forward to it in a way! I've heard it's pretty muddy, but it can't be worse than some of the XC I've done this season (famous last words!).

10/01/2013 at 08:44

I did 5 x 3min ints with 2 min rest then 1 min on 1 min off to catch the Gosport ferry.  Bought my 10 trip season ticket so now I can include running into my commute more easily and avoid taking up family time.  This is the hard time for training, few races of importance and the training starts to ramp up, really got to keep focused. 

PP - What rest did you have between the 15's?  I really need to do some intervals on the bike. (not sure when as this will be a 10 hour week without trying!) 

10/01/2013 at 09:07

Selbs - All the best.

LJ - Good luck with the shin. They can be right buggers. With a sore calf I feel like I can judge whether it's a niggle or something more serious, but I tend to be fairly cautious with shin pains.

SL - Legs are fine thanks. I've pretty much picked up where I left off from my last marathon campaign in terms of mileage. Afterall, it was less than 3 months ago. I don't plan to increase mileage beyond my previous peak of around 85m, but I will look to improve consistency around the top end and speed up the key sessions.

No time to run yesterday but working from home today so bagged 10 easy first thing and will head out later for another 10 with a bit at MP.

10/01/2013 at 09:07

selbs - all the best mate. Hope all goes well for your wife. Am sure it will. And enjoy NZ!! Keep in touch mate too

10/01/2013 at 09:30

Selbs - Sounds like tough going with your knee, got fingers crossed it will come good for you. Glad all is well with mini-Selbs and I'm very envious of the long trip to NZ!

Good repping from CD,PP,AW and Toro, a nice fast 10 from LJ too (hope the shin doesn't flare up). Like the 10 double Andy D 

Been an on/off week for me, the left ITB hasn't settled down yet despite plenty of ice/roller. It doesn't hurt much but I can feel it tight going past my knee, adopting a 'play by ear' approach for the time being. That said I've managed 5M/10M inc 8x800/5.5M v slow/2k swim so far this week. 800s all came out around the 2:45 mark which I was quite happy with.

Also did the first (of six) Running School form improvement sessions on Monday and got the second one tomorrow, so will be interested to see what I get out of that. Swim instead of run today and I'll see how it goes tomorrow, but might take another rest as there's a county XC fixture in Bournemouth on Saturday I'm planning to do. So all in all getting some decent running done, but a bit lacking in the mileage department right now...

10/01/2013 at 09:38

Jools sorry - last bit on footy (for now).

Phil, If we can beat em, millwall can. Looking good for the play-offs - then the big league for your boys.

TR, Not much money about in the Football League. At least we have guaranteed a few more months with the TV money. Stupid wages at the top end ruining football.

Dids, 1972 - That's before I saw the light. I was attending ER courtesy of my step dad in them days. Mind you, it wasn't a bad time to be a Leeds fan. 50p in the Boys pen, I remember that. Had to have a shave though before I got in.

RJ, I was a 25 year season ticket holder. Stupidly let it lapse last season when I fell out with them. Got sick of coming away from the game with a stiff neck. Yes, will be my first visit to Villa Park. Wifey queued for tickets whilst I was at work, bless her. Guess it'll be like the Alamo.

Njord, Tinnion was far too good for Bradford. What a wand of a left foot. On the running front, you are far too skinny. You on the wagon? You may have to wait for me a while at BM, but I feel you deserve a pint.

Selbs, some things are more important than exercise. Enjoy your young family, you don't get a 2nd chance.

Running-wise, the absence of a spring mara has allowed me to drop mileage a bit, in the hope that I may get quicker. But it's not happening. May have to invest in some go-faster-stripes for my zimmer. See you guys at BM.

Edited: 10/01/2013 at 09:40
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.