Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,841 to 92,860 of 109,534 messages
M.
10/01/2013 at 21:46

Hi Wardi - yes I used to post on here from when I took up running in 2002, until a couple of years ago.  

Hi TR - yes I'm also back on the daily thread as of a few days ago. I ran 3.13 last year. My only definite marathon this year is Dublin in October, but I have in the back of my mind that if all goes well in the first half of the year I may also do Christchurch in June (otherwise I'll just do the half there).

M.
TR
10/01/2013 at 21:50

M - nice. Plenty of time to train up to knock a few more minutes off at Dublin then (or Christchurch).

11/01/2013 at 07:50

M - surely if your partner is doing an easy run you can run with him as a tempo run? My wife is not quite fast enough for us to do this, but I'm hoping she'll improve. I still run with her occasionally anyway - she says it's good for her!

Easy 6M last night - no more running now until the race tomorrow. Luckily the forecast is for the snow to just miss us, although sounds like there will be a headwind the whole way. I'm actually looking forward to it for some reason - partly just curiosity to see what happens towards the end I think.

M.
11/01/2013 at 08:43

Hi Padams - yes we have done this occasionally.  But it does worry me that its really too slow for him, even as an easy run.  Good luck with your race.

Easy 60mins round the bays today. 

M.
11/01/2013 at 08:58

Brian. - I'm not on the wagon (Dan A - deffo up for a beer or three after BM!), but I've started having one alcohol-free night per week and have cut down on my curry consumption.  Weight unsurprisingly is down: currently 10st10, the lightest I have been since I was about 14 years old, and I'm reaping the benefits running wise.  Not so much in race performances yet, but the legs are recovering more quickly from hard efforts (as last weekend's double showed).  Have you been tempted by the Yorkshire Marathon in October?

M. - welcome!

selbs - best wishes mate

Padams - best of luck for tomorrow.  Don't forget to turn left at Bull's Bridge!

Ran some 400m reps on the treddie last night to remind my legs how to run fast in preparation for Sunday's Border League race (~5.5 miles), and my toes are more battered and bruised than ever.  Need a smoother running style at pace and/or tie my shoes differently.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 09:00
11/01/2013 at 09:27

M. - hello!

Njord - one alcohol-free night per week??!  You aflete, you!  Jeez, that's the sort of thing I was coming out with when trying to break the magic 16 stone barrier! 

...edit... Padams - I forgot you've got your mad long one.  Enjoy it if you can, otherwise enjoy the shower/tea/food/bragging rights afterwards!

Being a sensible chap and with it being only January I'm running my MP runs by effort at the moment, but I'm pleased to see a nippy bit of pace resulting.  Target is to keep a lid on HR at 165 (race HR for both road marathons 168). Last night was AHR 164 for MP section, max 168 for the whole run, 13.3M w/ 11M @ 5:51.  Felt pretty comfortable. Think my PB might be in for a bit of a beating.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 09:35
11/01/2013 at 09:57

PP - Thats mightly impressive, what's you current PB?

Padams - Good luck at the weekend.

Wardi - that's a solid sessions, seems liek your almost fully recovered.

Selbs- All the best for you and the family sound slike it's been a busy and stressful time.

13.5 last night with 10 sharp hills thrown in for good measure.

11/01/2013 at 09:59

Good old Strava - they have a challenge to run the most miles in January. Currently I am in 12th place out of 6,700. That's off only 128 miles. Really wishing I wasn't so wasted on New Year's Day when I got a zero.

So come on lads and lasses get signed up and . The leader has about 210 , which may be beyond any of you though!

Cold update - just sitting there, pissing about in my nose and throat but letting me run OK.

TR
11/01/2013 at 10:47

Padams - all the best, hope the rain doesnt spoil it (or the course).

SL - good miles

PP - nice, so is 5:51 ~ planned MP then. Only thing that worries me (on your behalf) is that the big day is still about 13 or 14 weeks away !

Dids - I thought that all the proper runners log their miles on Fetch, there's also this Jantastic logging going on too.

7M bagged so far for the day

11/01/2013 at 10:52

Njord, I'm not surprised your feet are sore. But your base building is obviously working. I think the risks of entering a first-time marathon are well documented, Hull in particular. So I think I would probably only have contemplated it as a back-up. Seems we may be going back to Amsterdam anyways, which is on the same day. You and Caz doing VLM? Hope to see you at BM. We are stopping over in York so hopefully get together for a beer.

Wardi, Sounds like you are in good shape, despite the injury. Hope to catch-up with you in York.

Dids, good mileage my man. Hope the sniffles disappear.

Phil, just about timimg/judging your peak now....

11/01/2013 at 10:58

SL - PB is 2:44 from Paris 2008.

TR - Don't panic, I'm only 172nd on the fetcheveryone league for January.   Provisional finger-in-air target is around 2:35 = 5:55/m (but there are still 13 weeks to go...)  The good thing about this week's training is that I've got three decent sessions done (20M LR, 10x800, 11M MP) and they've all felt reasonably comfortable.  So with the key MP sessions a couple of weeks apart and hard long runs liberally spread out as well, I'm confident I'll avoid peaking too soon.  Just loving the training at the moment!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
11/01/2013 at 11:35

16 for me this morning, Nowhere near MP so unlike PP I'm in no danger of peaking early .

Have a good one padams.

11/01/2013 at 11:58

Cheers everyone. Njord - that is about the only turn I have in my mind not to miss! I'm going to try to just follow people for the first 10M+ (and I will try to assess whether they know what they're doing or not!). Can you remember any particular sections which cause problems navigation-wise?

PP - that's an awesome MP run. I don't think I ever managed 11M in training at what turned out to be MP, so the tergat may end up a bit quicker than 5:51 m/m.

11/01/2013 at 12:10

PP - looking good mate.  V impressive.

Padams - I know the towpath very well.  You have to cross from RHS to LHS just after Uxbridge; just follow the signs - it's pretty obvious.  Remember that you need to cross the Bulls Bridge before turning left (so that you are on the RHS of the canal). Easy stroll to the finish from there.  Well about 12 miles anyway.

Any idea if there will be any fast lads there?  Think you should be amongst the favourites.  Could be the first thread victory of the year???

11/01/2013 at 12:18

Good luck Padams -- but I'm a bit worried that your navigational prep hasn't been as thorough as your fitness prep! It's only a small field, so if you're depending on others to find your way you're probably going to end up stuck with someone slower than you'd like until you know where you're going. The big left turn on the canal-only section is about the only place I got it distinctly wrong despite my anal pre-plotting for the Garmin; I would have been all over the place in the early stages without that pre-plotting though. If it's not too late I'd quickly try and rough out a Garmin route and get it on your watch to follow (www.bikehike.co.uk). The tracks on my page (scroll down to race log and find 16Jan2010) may be wrong for this year's route but could be a useful backup otherwise. It is a hell of a lot slower and more error-prone trying to follow the map, especially if it rains and you haven't put it in something waterproof (as I didn't).

Njord -- I've never been a "chubber", but I gradually got about a stone lighter without trying, a big part of which I'm sure was gradually ramping up to 4 alcohol-free nights/week (i.e. Fri-Sun on, rest off, and not a huge amount even at the weekends at my age). In fact realising how light I'd got prompted the resumption of my running career. Conversely I get distinctly heavier over the holidays when that regime breaks down. So you might be scarily quick if more "AFs" make you lighter...

TR :- ) actually I really was thinking I might do a long run, just round the park on grass, if all is still well by Sunday... the easy 3M commute was fine this morning.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 12:19
MtR
11/01/2013 at 13:04

M. Welcome! Surely there's no such thing as too slow for an easy pace, especially as your tempo pace should be in the 6:30-7mm range?

Selbs: have a good time in NZ - sounds like you need it!

Njord: You skinny bugger. Feels like I've got all your excess lard. Weighing in here at 13 st 4lbs on NY Day. Peak race weight is 10st 10lbs 9as you are now. So it's 4 alcohol free days a week, 50 miles a week and a change of diet.

PP: Envious of your fitness as well...

LD: I've been loading all the runs and bike rides from my Garmin Connect account onto Strava. Not sure which site I prefer right now. The Strava segments bit is a lot of fun.

I've calculated that in the last 20 months since VLM 11 when I eased off training due to a morale-destroying run that day, I've run 2,200 miles less than I would have done if I had just carried on. That's 220,000 calories, or 60Lbs of fat. So it's not surprising that I've gained 30lbs in weight since then.

To make the training possible I've written a detailed training plan (basically P&D 55mpw, but adjusted for races, prior experience and weekly preferences), stuck it to the fridge and put the weekday runs into my work calendar to stop people booking meetings on me. 

This week I've done 4 miles easy, 8 miles with strides, 9 miles home from work with a rucksack and 10 miles this morning with the dog. Parkrun with the dog tomorrow (so not fast) and then 15 planned for Sunday.

Cooking has been fun this week. Salmon parcels with braised spring greens on Monday, Slow cooked ribs with home-made coleslaw and baked sweet potato on Tuesday, Honey and soy glazed chicken with spicy cucumber salad on Wednesday and slow baked sausages with pumpkin, plus more braised spring greens last night. Decided to change the diet from the usual family cooking (curry, chilli, spag bol, sausages and mash etc) to make it more interesting. Having a good time discussing with the girls what we're going to have the next day. They're still having carbs, but me and Mrs MtR are cutting right back. 

As a result, I'm feeling hungry and tired much of the time and getting to bed by 10pm. But I'm feeling far better today as my body adjusts.

Good luck to padams this weekend

11/01/2013 at 13:06

CW - yes, I've plotted the route on bikehike, but I wasn't going to put it on my Garmin for two reasons:

1) I thought it might be more fun trying to follow the map!
2) I don't really know how to use the mapping on my Garmin.

I'm not particularly bothered about this race (hence point 1 above), although it would be nice not to have to do 10M extra. I don't mind running a bit slower for the first 20M because I'm running with people - in fact, that's probably a good way of ensuring I don't start too quickly. Given how much time you can lose/make up in the last 10k of a marathon, I'm guessing the same will be true (or even more so) of the last 20M tomorrow.

Anyway, might try out the mapping thing this evening. Thanks for all the info!

11/01/2013 at 13:58
Interesting stuff re weight. Is it just me who watches what I eat very carefully, doesn't drink much, has about 7% body fat yet I still weigh 12st 7ish (maybe TR too?) I remember reading something about running a Mara in minutes in the same time as the amount of pounds you weigh - so 170lbs (12'2) gives a 2'50. So I've not done bad running a 2'49, although unless I lose some weight somehow I'm prob unlikely to go any quicker!

Anyway, good luck to padams - don't be sh*t fella!
11/01/2013 at 14:08

Welcome, M.

Sounds like you've got your mojo back, MtR.  If you start cooking exciting veggie food, let me know

Good luck tomorrow, Padams.  I'm the last person who should give anyone navigation tips, so I'd say follow advice from CW et al.

11M (ish) for me in beautiful sunshine at lunch.  Garmin had a mad 5 minutes, clocking the first mile at 7.11 and one of the miles through the Staple Hill tunnel (out and back on the bike path today) at 6.24, neither of which was accurate.  So I added on 0.25 and decided that was probably about right!

11/01/2013 at 14:09

X-post with Selbs.  I'm looking forward to my 98 minute marathon

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.