Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,861 to 92,880 of 107,732 messages
11/01/2013 at 14:42

Got overtaken by a lesser-spotted on my lunchtime run, merrily padding along at ~7m/m.  Sign her up!! 

11/01/2013 at 14:46

Brian. - are you staying in York on Saturday or Sunday night?  Either way, definitely up for a beer.  Will send you a message.

Padams - I've run it three times and I don't think I've run the same route twice despite having Charlie's excellent tcx file uploaded (route hasn't changed AFAIK).  Last year, I had trouble last year finding the footpath out of Latimer (it's not that difficult to be honest, and was probably caused by my complacency about 'knowing' the route).  My best (and unplanned) strategy was following the leader in 2010, who kept stopping to check navigation and in doing so allowed me to catch him up.  Once we got to the canal, I think he took about 20 minutes out of me in as many miles, but up until that point I hadn't needed to consult my map once!  Best advice is to stay calm and relaxed and accept that you might have to think on your feet a couple of times in the first few hours.  There's plenty of opportunity to stretch out once you hit the canal.

Charlie W / MtR - a potential trouble for me is my predeliction for very spicy food.  And spicy food demands a bottle of beer as company!  I've become quite good at limiting myself to just the one most nights (instead of a regular two or three) - and I prefer small changes in lifestyle like this sustained over a long period of time.  Unlike my good mate Pug (by his own admission!) who needs to see the weight fall off on a daily basis!

11/01/2013 at 14:48

Had a bit of a strained week but got my homework finished and sent off last night. Woke up at Gobi -60 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Ended up running 8 miles into work in a sort of interval tempo thingy (splits 7:13, 7:27, 6:19, 7:26, 6:10, 7:26, 6:11, 7:30) as I realised that Wokingham is only about 4 weeks off. Don't know if this session is of benefit and would appreciate comments.

11/01/2013 at 15:27

If Strava is a Rolls Royce, Fetch is Del Boy Trotter's 3 wheeler. God, what an ugly site.

MtR - That's ludicrous weight gain! For once in my life I am at a respectable weight in mid Jan. Possibly a pound or two above the lowest I've been. I've just had two choccy bars and a curry in the knowledge that i can and I will still have a calorie deficit today.... what an unusual feeling to not be crash dieting, nor injured and piling the weight on, nor feeling pissed off running with too much weight.

Although the lightest I've ever been has been just over 11 stone. Whilst I've always regarded this as racing weight, I've always thought that losing another 6 lbs may still be possible.... and maybe, just maybe, there's a chance this time.

OS
11/01/2013 at 15:33

Greetings, M. I am also a UK ex-pat, living in Switzerland. 

Best wishes for your weekend run, Padams.

Nice to see MtR getting back to it.  I am sure you will drop the weight quickly with your disciplined program. 

After over a year of ~4 times a week gym sessions, I am in better overall shape than at any point in the last ten years, but not very sharp for running.  Weight has stood still over last year at ~75kg, but I have clearly gained some (small) muscles that had withered in last 5 years or so of doing little other than running.  I was shocked to learn what is probably obvious to many, that a program of nothing but running is not great in the long term. 

OS
11/01/2013 at 15:45

MtR - I didn't dare weigh myself in 2011 before I started sorting out my pre-op rehab exercise plan but I'm pretty damn sure I was a fair bit heavier than you are now.  Looks like a fine start to the training plan. I'll be round for dinner.

postie - Assuming you're getting a reasonable few miles in at somewhere around race pace, I'd say it's a useful session. Apart from anything else, varying pace tempo runs mix things up a bit anyway.

MtR
11/01/2013 at 15:47

LD: Tell me about it - really shocking what a year and half of indolence, working hard and eating and drinking too much can do. Especially when I was actually training hard for the first 5 months of that period doing cycling and triathlons. So that's actually pretty much all in the last 15 months since my mum died.

Jools: I am planning to eat quite a lot of veggie food in the coming weeks as well. 

11/01/2013 at 15:49

Al_P - Had a look at the website.  (What I presume is) your mate mentioning that he is injured is commendably honest but hardly inspires confidence!

M - Welcome.  Dublin is tentatively on my schedule.  Have you done it before?

Weight - I remain way too heavy but didn't really put on any weight while I was injured.

11/01/2013 at 16:54

9st 10lb

TR
11/01/2013 at 17:51

PP - you're in charge then, you just seem to be too fit already. those sort of sessions are for March time.

CW - 20 it is then.

MtR - food choices sound yummy, nice to see you.

LS21 - still a heavyweight here too

Njord - I have 3 or 4 dry nights, but I bet you sink more in one night than I do all week.

7M, 1.75k, 8M. Thats the running week done with 47M for the week and 1M more than last week. All still very slow, knee still aches, hammy is still tight, Had to check if I had even got slightly out of breath at the end of this mornings 7M. Longish Turbo tomorrow, but have to be in jam jar by 9am Sunday for footy so I wont be bagging a long run this weekend.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 17:51
11/01/2013 at 18:57

Was dreading setting of for run home tonight. One of those days that once I got running it felt great to be out there. Comfy 12 miler at 10% to 20% slower than MP. A 16 miler tomorrow at similar intensity and a day of on Sunday. 

Sees me at a 55 mile week. Supposed to be 70. But today is my first decent run in at least a month, so a great end to the day

Good luck to all those racing at the weekend 

11/01/2013 at 19:14

Well, it took absolutely ages and I now have a whole load of software installed on my work laptop that probably shouldn't be there, but I think I've managed to get the route onto my Garmin!

Next problem is getting the watch to show the route, and I won't be able to test that until I'm there. But I never planned to have the route on the watch anyway, so not a massive deal if it doesn't work.

11/01/2013 at 19:15

Also, it is CW's trace, so I need to remember to ignore it at that fork in the canal!

TR
11/01/2013 at 19:25

If its CW's trace, then every now and then you'll be running 0.5M at 5:30mm !

11/01/2013 at 21:24

Gah, the responsibility! Have a ball, Padams -- I expect most of your 0.5Ms will be at 5:30/M :- ) (All you have to do is enable the map screen in settings; probably work with "track up", another setting once the map screen is there; zoom in until it shows a scale of 300 or 500'; and do Training... Do Course... and select the downloaded course when you start, so that it shows up as a wiggly grey line to follow. Annoyingly it will restart your session if you start the course part way through, so it's best to 'do course' before you press start. Not too late to download a tiny route around the block if you want to nip out and practice!

11/01/2013 at 22:36
Clearly - I was very much in two minds about signing up for a course of sessions. What sold it for me was a study by the University of Delaware on the ability to train running gait mechanics through realtime feedback. It showed that by observing a runner's gait and giving simultaneous feedback gait/form could be modified (and hopefully improved!) After two sessions it seems to be working for me. After the first session my running felt the same pretty much when I tried to practice what I'd been told. But after today's session it felt much easier. I did a 5M run at lunchtime and my running definitely felt smoother and generally more efficient (it was also quite fast, 6:29/M still need to get the hang of speed control!). Have to wait and see if it's lasting...

Padams - Good luck for tomorrow, give it some (ultra) welly

MtR - Damn tasty sounding nosh

Postie - agree with PP, varying the pace is good, just be careful for getting sucked into doing too much fast stuff in normal runs.

Sports massage for me tonight, turns out it's not my ITB causing the trouble but part of my hip flexors (Rectus Femoris). Leg felt pretty good on today's quickish 5M, so going to refocus the roller on my quad instead and hopefully it will clear up.

Hants XC fixture for me tomorrow and hopefully a Long(ish) run on Sunday
Edited: 11/01/2013 at 22:37
CL
11/01/2013 at 23:35
PP - I think I preferred it when you were 'pre-op'! That's an awesome training run. I'm not concerned about you over-cooking it as you have that HM result and you look like you're enjoying your running.

Good to see MtR back into it. Soon have that excess timber off!
CL
11/01/2013 at 23:41
Survived a visit to 'dirty' Leeds by putting in a couple of tready sessions. Looking forward to Surrey League div 3 tomorrow -somewhere out near Heathrow (cool for cats!)
CL
12/01/2013 at 00:02
Edited: 12/01/2013 at 00:04
M.
12/01/2013 at 00:08

Enjoy NZ Selbs. Obviously I'm biased but I think its the best place in the world  Where are you going while you are here?

Lord D - I hadn't come across Strava before. Looks interesting. I keep my training log on runningahead.com.  I've got 6 years on there now, but missing a month earlier this year when I lost my Garmin.

MtR - you are so right. I guess I shouldn't worry about it.  Its nice running with him occasionally anyway. Your menu sounds lovely.  I should get better at cooking some different things, especially when the kids aren't here.

Padams - I didn't realise you had to navigate it - that would be my worst nightmare. I have no sense of direction at all.  Even more good lucks!

Weight wise - at 1st Jan I was about 8-9lbs heavier than I was in October. Just form not running so much really.  Its starting to come back off already though as the mileage goes up. 6ish still to go, so should be fine for the half marathon in 5 weeks. Once thats done I wouldn't say no to getting even a bit lighter again.

Clearly - no I've never run Dublin although I did go over to watch in 2003 when a friend of mine was running it. Different course now I think. I remember it having a great atmosphere - huge support especially from the Americans.

Thanks again for the all the welcomes. 

M.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.