Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,881 to 92,900 of 108,553 messages
12/01/2013 at 10:30

11M including Ashton Court parkrun for me this morning.  With the incentive of a slightly faster clubmate to chase I clocked a modest pb: something around 20.31 when my old course pb was 20.39 (sadly I didn't catch her - 3 races in a row I've finished 1 place behind her!).

Hope Padams is going well! 

12/01/2013 at 10:38

Just found out my Tri Club is increasing UKA affiliation prices.  Given that I joined in good faith at a subsidised rate they are offering the refund and £20 English athletics fee.  Not sure whether to pay it or join a running club.  

Went for a 2hr cycle (33 miles) yesterday improving some Strava times in the processs.  I will probably run long tomorrow and rest today given the forecast.  

12/01/2013 at 11:04

Well done on the course PB, Jools.

TR had me sussed -- just back from 20.3M @ 7min/M. But it was nearly all on grass in the trail shoes (that combination seemed not to aggravate my ankle last week when I had the XC race), and I paused a couple of times to prod it and make sure it was OK. Which it was. I'm also still deliberately running with my right foot landing slightly further out than feels normal, which I found helped last week -- maybe I've previously been running with it too far in, which might explain the recurrent blisters, peculiar outer-edge shoe wear and occasional ankle problems all on that side. I needed to burn a few calories as I became an MV43 yesterday and have a weekend of Christmas-like excesses (chocs, beer, eating out) to get through without getting still heavier!

12/01/2013 at 11:16

Happy birthday for yesterday, Charlie.

TR
12/01/2013 at 18:55

CW - never doubted it ! You did well to find some grass, all the grass round here has been under water all night and all day. I hope it hasnt rained as much where Padams was. Happy b'day.

2hr Turbo bagged early, nearly had to swim from the house to the garage first though.

CL
12/01/2013 at 19:48
Happy Birthday CW!

Very poor XC for me today. Legs like lead. Hopefully just the effect of trying to build the miles. Recent niggles seem better,so just need to keep on keeping on.
12/01/2013 at 21:55

CW - Happy Birthday

M - It's slightly bigger than it was in 2003 with more than double the no. of participants so they've broken it into 3 waves.  There's plenty of support although not at the level of London.  Weather condition are usually pretty good.  The course has changed a bit but if anything it's flatter than it was in 2003.

LS21 - I vaguely remember Marigold making some comment on his blog about being skeletal but still well within the 'normal' range for BMI.

AL_P - Hope the XC went well for you today.  King's park drains extremely well (sandy soil) but given the recent weather and the fact that you were the last race I expect it was a bit of a mud bath.

Did a little bit of faster running with 6* 1km reps.  Came out at slightly slower than my HM pb pace...., nice to be running but still a long way to go!

13/01/2013 at 00:25

Many happy returns Charlie!  Nice 20m there.

Clearly.. just be patient with the quicker stuff, it should all come good eventually.  Good to see you back in the groove.

Long time on the turbo TR, sounds like a wet day down there!

Jools.. congrats on that course record, a decent time on a lumpy course.  Is it possible to be chicked by a chick??

A bit like CL's XC I had a bit of a rusty Park Run at York today.  3 weeks out with the rib problem has set me back a bit as expected so all I could muster was a modest 21:13.  Still, enjoyed the morning blast and nice to see a turnout of over 200 for the York course 1st Anniversary.  Another 4m afterwards.

13/01/2013 at 08:21
Happy birthday Charlie! Nice 20 too.

Clearly - it's been a long time since you wrote about doing reps so no matter what pace they were it's a good sign you're doing them.

Jools - good form continues. Wardi - yours will come back soon.

Padams - hope your epic has gone well.

Well done to CL and any other XCers.

I have been doing some Charlie style injury management - took a couple of days off to rest the shin, got a very painful massage on Friday and then tried it out by racing XC yesterday and a long one planned today as it seemed to hold up well. Race went well too.
13/01/2013 at 08:36

Quick summary of yesterday - finished in 5:33:xx in 3rd place. Got lost a few times (had to ask for directions from someone in their garden at one point), so ran just over 43M. Garmin worked for about 5M and then kept telling me I was going the wrong way, even though I obviously wasn't (running with a group, at least one of whom knew the way), so gave up and used the map.

Knees pretty sore this morning, but no injuries, which was the main target! Apparently I was catching the leaders towards the end of the race (even though I was slowing), but was still about 5 mins behind. Really was in a lot of pain immediately afterwards - not in any specific place, just a dull ache all over.

Will write a full report (with some pictures) in due course! Thanks for all the good luck messages etc.

M.
13/01/2013 at 08:45

Nice work on the course PB Jools

Clearly  - that all sounds good about Dublin, the split start especially.  Anything would be hilly after Amsterdam this year!

2hr35 long run today. Reasonable enough pace until 20km or so when we hit the hills.  I'm really not good at hills.

And well done to the Parkrun and XC racers!

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 08:46
M.
13/01/2013 at 08:51

Look forward to reading your full race report. 3rd place is a great result with little course knowledge.

16 miler for me yesterday with a 3 mile uphill hill run on the mud. Managed to finish with some MP +10%. I am still not sure my MP is feelign as comfortable as it should. But early days in my training for this year.

Congrats to Jools on 5km PB. I still keep getting a cold chill thinking of my first 5km to come at some stage next month.

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 08:52
A.W
13/01/2013 at 09:00

Good parkrun Joolska.

Happy birthday and nice 20 CW.

Hello! And good long run M.

Great run at C2C yesterday Padams. Must have missed you at the finish, was helping sort the bags out for the runners while waiting for my girlfriend to finish. She had a great run too, finished 1st woman in 6.08 - 10th overall, think it was the female course record! Very proud of her!

A.W
13/01/2013 at 09:43
Padams - terrific effort. Do you think you'd have won without the navigation issues?
M.
13/01/2013 at 10:00
Congrats Padams - don't know how I missed that when I posted earlier. Sounds like you had a good run indeed.

Hello AW. And congrats to your girlfriend. That's brilliant running.
M.
13/01/2013 at 10:16

Well done Padams, Wardi, Joolska etc.

Schoolboy error from me! Running home on friday with my cold possibly was not a good move. Felt a bit iffy afterwards. Doing the parkrun yesterday (slowly with a mate) was definately a bad idea, as was going for a run afterwards with a different mate. Cold has taken more of a hold. Head feels like it might burst. Damn - I thought I was invincible.

13/01/2013 at 10:54
Padams-great stuff, looking forward to the report.
Jools- congrats on a course pb
CW- happy birthday and glad you got an injury free 20 under your belt.
Clearly- glad to see you back running.

10 yesterday with 7 at mp (5.30's) most of it into a ver strong headwind so pretty pleased with how it felt. 20 this morning.
13/01/2013 at 10:56

Good effort going out and racing CL and Wardi, even if you were a bit rusty (as I was last week). Glad yours went well LJ.

2 hours on the turbo sounds like tough Zen TR. Well trained also Clearly, M. and TB.

And Padams! Well done on 3rd; 5:33 would have been a course record in my day, when 6:03 earnt me third (barely quicker than AW's speedy girlfriend -- I remember reading that percentage-wise, women were more competitive in ultra-endurance; think Chrissie Wellington...). So that's a terrific performance. Sounds like you haven't killed your legs too much either (I was a shuffling invalid afterwards getting to the station home, and pretty stiff in the days afterwards).

For next time, I'd say ignore the screen that shows a 'go this way' compass arrow, which isn't much use (but all you get on the modern running Garmins), and use only my beloved map screen (where you get a wiggly line to follow, like this: http://www.wartnaby.org/running/bgr/2010_0815_125949AA_small.jpg). Otherwise it might want you to go back to a bit it thinks you've "missed" or something. I logged just under 43M when I did it, with only a minor cock-up, so you probably didn't add too much (but if you were only 5 mins back from the leaders, a little extra and a few delays puzzling over the map may have cost you the win).

Very slight creakiness from the ankle today (maybe doing 20 was a bit silly yesterday) but it's not sore to the touch as it was last week. Looks like I'll need to commute-run in my offroad shoes regardless in the snow tomorrow.

13/01/2013 at 11:29

Congrats on a podium place Padams, fantastic effort.  Nice work from Mrs A W too, hope she shared the prize!

More good miles banked SL.

Nicely done in the XC LJ, cracking long run from M too.

Dids.. cold should be over the worst in a few days, just bear with the sniffles & heavy head.  I meant to ask (& Njord) .. any suggestions for a handy hotel in Frankfurt?  The official race one is the Movenpick which seems to be near the start/finish.

13/01/2013 at 11:59

Wow!  Well done Padams on the podium finish.  Looking forward to the race report.  Sounds like Mrs. AW is also pretty nippy.

Hope you recover soon, Dids.

14M for me as this is a cut back week

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.