Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,881 to 92,900 of 105,659 messages
11/01/2013 at 22:36
Clearly - I was very much in two minds about signing up for a course of sessions. What sold it for me was a study by the University of Delaware on the ability to train running gait mechanics through realtime feedback. It showed that by observing a runner's gait and giving simultaneous feedback gait/form could be modified (and hopefully improved!) After two sessions it seems to be working for me. After the first session my running felt the same pretty much when I tried to practice what I'd been told. But after today's session it felt much easier. I did a 5M run at lunchtime and my running definitely felt smoother and generally more efficient (it was also quite fast, 6:29/M still need to get the hang of speed control!). Have to wait and see if it's lasting...

Padams - Good luck for tomorrow, give it some (ultra) welly

MtR - Damn tasty sounding nosh

Postie - agree with PP, varying the pace is good, just be careful for getting sucked into doing too much fast stuff in normal runs.

Sports massage for me tonight, turns out it's not my ITB causing the trouble but part of my hip flexors (Rectus Femoris). Leg felt pretty good on today's quickish 5M, so going to refocus the roller on my quad instead and hopefully it will clear up.

Hants XC fixture for me tomorrow and hopefully a Long(ish) run on Sunday
Edited: 11/01/2013 at 22:37
CL
11/01/2013 at 23:35
PP - I think I preferred it when you were 'pre-op'! That's an awesome training run. I'm not concerned about you over-cooking it as you have that HM result and you look like you're enjoying your running.

Good to see MtR back into it. Soon have that excess timber off!
CL
11/01/2013 at 23:41
Survived a visit to 'dirty' Leeds by putting in a couple of tready sessions. Looking forward to Surrey League div 3 tomorrow -somewhere out near Heathrow (cool for cats!)
CL
12/01/2013 at 00:02
Edited: 12/01/2013 at 00:04
M.
12/01/2013 at 00:08

Enjoy NZ Selbs. Obviously I'm biased but I think its the best place in the world  Where are you going while you are here?

Lord D - I hadn't come across Strava before. Looks interesting. I keep my training log on runningahead.com.  I've got 6 years on there now, but missing a month earlier this year when I lost my Garmin.

MtR - you are so right. I guess I shouldn't worry about it.  Its nice running with him occasionally anyway. Your menu sounds lovely.  I should get better at cooking some different things, especially when the kids aren't here.

Padams - I didn't realise you had to navigate it - that would be my worst nightmare. I have no sense of direction at all.  Even more good lucks!

Weight wise - at 1st Jan I was about 8-9lbs heavier than I was in October. Just form not running so much really.  Its starting to come back off already though as the mileage goes up. 6ish still to go, so should be fine for the half marathon in 5 weeks. Once thats done I wouldn't say no to getting even a bit lighter again.

Clearly - no I've never run Dublin although I did go over to watch in 2003 when a friend of mine was running it. Different course now I think. I remember it having a great atmosphere - huge support especially from the Americans.

Thanks again for the all the welcomes. 

M.
12/01/2013 at 10:30

11M including Ashton Court parkrun for me this morning.  With the incentive of a slightly faster clubmate to chase I clocked a modest pb: something around 20.31 when my old course pb was 20.39 (sadly I didn't catch her - 3 races in a row I've finished 1 place behind her!).

Hope Padams is going well! 

12/01/2013 at 10:38

Just found out my Tri Club is increasing UKA affiliation prices.  Given that I joined in good faith at a subsidised rate they are offering the refund and £20 English athletics fee.  Not sure whether to pay it or join a running club.  

Went for a 2hr cycle (33 miles) yesterday improving some Strava times in the processs.  I will probably run long tomorrow and rest today given the forecast.  

12/01/2013 at 11:04

Well done on the course PB, Jools.

TR had me sussed -- just back from 20.3M @ 7min/M. But it was nearly all on grass in the trail shoes (that combination seemed not to aggravate my ankle last week when I had the XC race), and I paused a couple of times to prod it and make sure it was OK. Which it was. I'm also still deliberately running with my right foot landing slightly further out than feels normal, which I found helped last week -- maybe I've previously been running with it too far in, which might explain the recurrent blisters, peculiar outer-edge shoe wear and occasional ankle problems all on that side. I needed to burn a few calories as I became an MV43 yesterday and have a weekend of Christmas-like excesses (chocs, beer, eating out) to get through without getting still heavier!

12/01/2013 at 11:16

Happy birthday for yesterday, Charlie.

TR
12/01/2013 at 18:55

CW - never doubted it ! You did well to find some grass, all the grass round here has been under water all night and all day. I hope it hasnt rained as much where Padams was. Happy b'day.

2hr Turbo bagged early, nearly had to swim from the house to the garage first though.

CL
12/01/2013 at 19:48
Happy Birthday CW!

Very poor XC for me today. Legs like lead. Hopefully just the effect of trying to build the miles. Recent niggles seem better,so just need to keep on keeping on.
12/01/2013 at 21:55

CW - Happy Birthday

M - It's slightly bigger than it was in 2003 with more than double the no. of participants so they've broken it into 3 waves.  There's plenty of support although not at the level of London.  Weather condition are usually pretty good.  The course has changed a bit but if anything it's flatter than it was in 2003.

LS21 - I vaguely remember Marigold making some comment on his blog about being skeletal but still well within the 'normal' range for BMI.

AL_P - Hope the XC went well for you today.  King's park drains extremely well (sandy soil) but given the recent weather and the fact that you were the last race I expect it was a bit of a mud bath.

Did a little bit of faster running with 6* 1km reps.  Came out at slightly slower than my HM pb pace...., nice to be running but still a long way to go!

13/01/2013 at 00:25

Many happy returns Charlie!  Nice 20m there.

Clearly.. just be patient with the quicker stuff, it should all come good eventually.  Good to see you back in the groove.

Long time on the turbo TR, sounds like a wet day down there!

Jools.. congrats on that course record, a decent time on a lumpy course.  Is it possible to be chicked by a chick??

A bit like CL's XC I had a bit of a rusty Park Run at York today.  3 weeks out with the rib problem has set me back a bit as expected so all I could muster was a modest 21:13.  Still, enjoyed the morning blast and nice to see a turnout of over 200 for the York course 1st Anniversary.  Another 4m afterwards.

13/01/2013 at 08:21
Happy birthday Charlie! Nice 20 too.

Clearly - it's been a long time since you wrote about doing reps so no matter what pace they were it's a good sign you're doing them.

Jools - good form continues. Wardi - yours will come back soon.

Padams - hope your epic has gone well.

Well done to CL and any other XCers.

I have been doing some Charlie style injury management - took a couple of days off to rest the shin, got a very painful massage on Friday and then tried it out by racing XC yesterday and a long one planned today as it seemed to hold up well. Race went well too.
13/01/2013 at 08:36

Quick summary of yesterday - finished in 5:33:xx in 3rd place. Got lost a few times (had to ask for directions from someone in their garden at one point), so ran just over 43M. Garmin worked for about 5M and then kept telling me I was going the wrong way, even though I obviously wasn't (running with a group, at least one of whom knew the way), so gave up and used the map.

Knees pretty sore this morning, but no injuries, which was the main target! Apparently I was catching the leaders towards the end of the race (even though I was slowing), but was still about 5 mins behind. Really was in a lot of pain immediately afterwards - not in any specific place, just a dull ache all over.

Will write a full report (with some pictures) in due course! Thanks for all the good luck messages etc.

M.
13/01/2013 at 08:45

Nice work on the course PB Jools

Clearly  - that all sounds good about Dublin, the split start especially.  Anything would be hilly after Amsterdam this year!

2hr35 long run today. Reasonable enough pace until 20km or so when we hit the hills.  I'm really not good at hills.

And well done to the Parkrun and XC racers!

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 08:46
M.
13/01/2013 at 08:51

Look forward to reading your full race report. 3rd place is a great result with little course knowledge.

16 miler for me yesterday with a 3 mile uphill hill run on the mud. Managed to finish with some MP +10%. I am still not sure my MP is feelign as comfortable as it should. But early days in my training for this year.

Congrats to Jools on 5km PB. I still keep getting a cold chill thinking of my first 5km to come at some stage next month.

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 08:52
A.W
13/01/2013 at 09:00

Good parkrun Joolska.

Happy birthday and nice 20 CW.

Hello! And good long run M.

Great run at C2C yesterday Padams. Must have missed you at the finish, was helping sort the bags out for the runners while waiting for my girlfriend to finish. She had a great run too, finished 1st woman in 6.08 - 10th overall, think it was the female course record! Very proud of her!

A.W
13/01/2013 at 09:43
Padams - terrific effort. Do you think you'd have won without the navigation issues?
M.
13/01/2013 at 10:00
Congrats Padams - don't know how I missed that when I posted earlier. Sounds like you had a good run indeed.

Hello AW. And congrats to your girlfriend. That's brilliant running.
M.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.