Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,901 to 92,920 of 107,054 messages
13/01/2013 at 10:16

Well done Padams, Wardi, Joolska etc.

Schoolboy error from me! Running home on friday with my cold possibly was not a good move. Felt a bit iffy afterwards. Doing the parkrun yesterday (slowly with a mate) was definately a bad idea, as was going for a run afterwards with a different mate. Cold has taken more of a hold. Head feels like it might burst. Damn - I thought I was invincible.

13/01/2013 at 10:54
Padams-great stuff, looking forward to the report.
Jools- congrats on a course pb
CW- happy birthday and glad you got an injury free 20 under your belt.
Clearly- glad to see you back running.

10 yesterday with 7 at mp (5.30's) most of it into a ver strong headwind so pretty pleased with how it felt. 20 this morning.
13/01/2013 at 10:56

Good effort going out and racing CL and Wardi, even if you were a bit rusty (as I was last week). Glad yours went well LJ.

2 hours on the turbo sounds like tough Zen TR. Well trained also Clearly, M. and TB.

And Padams! Well done on 3rd; 5:33 would have been a course record in my day, when 6:03 earnt me third (barely quicker than AW's speedy girlfriend -- I remember reading that percentage-wise, women were more competitive in ultra-endurance; think Chrissie Wellington...). So that's a terrific performance. Sounds like you haven't killed your legs too much either (I was a shuffling invalid afterwards getting to the station home, and pretty stiff in the days afterwards).

For next time, I'd say ignore the screen that shows a 'go this way' compass arrow, which isn't much use (but all you get on the modern running Garmins), and use only my beloved map screen (where you get a wiggly line to follow, like this: http://www.wartnaby.org/running/bgr/2010_0815_125949AA_small.jpg). Otherwise it might want you to go back to a bit it thinks you've "missed" or something. I logged just under 43M when I did it, with only a minor cock-up, so you probably didn't add too much (but if you were only 5 mins back from the leaders, a little extra and a few delays puzzling over the map may have cost you the win).

Very slight creakiness from the ankle today (maybe doing 20 was a bit silly yesterday) but it's not sore to the touch as it was last week. Looks like I'll need to commute-run in my offroad shoes regardless in the snow tomorrow.

13/01/2013 at 11:29

Congrats on a podium place Padams, fantastic effort.  Nice work from Mrs A W too, hope she shared the prize!

More good miles banked SL.

Nicely done in the XC LJ, cracking long run from M too.

Dids.. cold should be over the worst in a few days, just bear with the sniffles & heavy head.  I meant to ask (& Njord) .. any suggestions for a handy hotel in Frankfurt?  The official race one is the Movenpick which seems to be near the start/finish.

13/01/2013 at 11:59

Wow!  Well done Padams on the podium finish.  Looking forward to the race report.  Sounds like Mrs. AW is also pretty nippy.

Hope you recover soon, Dids.

14M for me as this is a cut back week

TR
13/01/2013 at 12:21

Padams - well played sir, suitably humble as usual. IM training now ?

Dids - when I was waking recently with a thick head for a week or so due to a cold I found teh fresh air helped clear my head.

SL - top miles

Wardi - good to see you back with a number on again (do you wear numbers for park runs ?)

both footy matches were washed out by y'days monsoon weather, so 18M bagged (15,16,17 and 18 as long runs on the last 4 sundays). Stayed on the flat today to give my knee a chance, body is still groaning, but the message is still "keep calm and carry on".

A.W
13/01/2013 at 13:02

Nice 18 TR.

Good 14 too Joolska in a cut back week.

Wardi - Her prize was a sports bra, could share it but not really in to that!!!!

First 20 miles in the bag of this campaign. Felt nice and comfortable in 7.29 pace. Encouraging signs.

A.W
13/01/2013 at 13:03

Well done Padams, and great result for AW's girlfriend. Does that count as a thread win?

SL - nice MP session

XC at Hyndburn for me yesterday. Very tough conditions bourne out by the fact that my average pace was 8.30m/m's. I was happy just to finish uninjured to be honest.  21 miles this morning averaging 7.19m/m's brought up 72 for the week.

13/01/2013 at 13:44

CW - that's the screen I had, but then I just started getting further and further away from the wiggly line. No idea how that happened. In hindsight, following the map would have been easy enough (I love maps anyway!).

AW - forgot you were going to be at the finish, but probably wasn't in a state to have a conversation anyway! Well done to the Mrs.

TR - yes, it's all about the bike now.

Dan - no, the guy who won went wrong near the start, then ran the rest of the first half with me (going wrong where I went wrong). One guy was miles ahead, but as soon as we hit the canal the guy I was running with took off and caught the leader somewhere on the canal. So he would have beaten me regardless, but maybe I could have also caught the guy who lead most of the race.

Nice training everyone!

OS
13/01/2013 at 16:08
Padams. Very impressive! I have done 40+ miles three times, and recall the feeling I had in the last stretches well. On a positive note I found I recovered much more quickly from long (slow) distance than from a fast 26.2.
OS
13/01/2013 at 16:10

Congratulations Padams a truly impressive day's work.

13/01/2013 at 16:11

A W.. shame that, you could have shared a crop top perhaps?   A prize story worth telling.. in the early days of my hometown 10m race the prizes were donated by local shops.  One of the winners in the early years was Veronique Marot (former London Marathon winner).  Alongside a small cash prize she won a book on slimming! 

TR.. when you register for Park Run you print off a few personal barcodes.  You somehow carry one of these around the race (I keep mine in a mini plastic card holder).  At the finish you get a disc with your finish position on it, this is then matched/scanned with your barcode so no numbers required. 

Nice 20's A W & Andy D (that XC sounds tough!).

Cold but sunny up here today so got out for a pleasant 13.1m around local country lanes. Pleased with 60 miles totted up for this week which is the most I've done for a while.

13/01/2013 at 17:58
Very jealous of all this running. I should have run yesterday at 4pm. It's now 6 wife's still not home having started work at 6am both sat and sun. I'm meant to do 2hrs/16 mile. I did build in slack into my programme so could sack it of or I could get my @r$e out the door. Yesterday was a drive in, swim at lunch, drive home rest day so I could run 10 mile in, 6 mile back and count that. I should be tested by wed too for my race. Oh need to avoid doing this next week!
13/01/2013 at 18:59

Padams - thats class!

Jools - nice pb

Wardi - good weekly total!

TR - solid aerobic 18

CW - happy bd

Easy week of running done for me and 10m this evening with a clubmate. Went over to watch Durham relays this morning with the club, great setting with the cathedral in the background.

Clubmate has a number I can use for Brass Monkey next sunday so I might do that and use it as a training run for fitness. Will decide later in the week but just some more standard running this week coming though. Who off here is doing BM next sunday?

..............snow on its way apparently

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 19:02
TR
13/01/2013 at 19:16

TR - barcodes ! ha ha, like going to Sainsbury's

RS - hope it misses us.

MtR
13/01/2013 at 19:29
7 runs done this week. Felt a bit knackered this morning after 10 miles a day for the lat few days so took the dog for a 2 hour walk instead of a run. Did a little jog later to bring up my first 50 mile week for a long time! ( Feb 2012).

Well done to Padams - impressive pace over that distance.

Nice run by Jools, any PB is good, but in the middle of a longer run is excellent.

Good training by loads of others.

Food tonight was Pulled Pork. Slow roasted a whole shoulder of pork all day. Served with baked sweet potatoes, coleslaw, spring greens and barbecue sauce. Loads of pork left for sandwiches this week.

Good to be back!
13/01/2013 at 20:01

Padams - superb!  A good 10 minutes quicker than my course best.

A.W. other half - superb!  A good 15 minutes than my other half's ex-course record.

Wardi - I've decided to put my focus on VLM this year, so no second chance marathon in the autumn, and no Frankfurt.  That's not to say I won't be running more marathons, but they'll be social runs rather than 100% efforts.

RS78 - Brass Monkey for me and the ex-Country-2-Capital course record holder

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 20:03
13/01/2013 at 20:14

Selbs - good lord mate, sounds like a tough time of late. Have a great time in NZ and enjoy the little 'un. Hope you get back to a regular running routine asap. You've shown incredible stoicism to keep posting despite the ongoing issues, chapeau.

Padams - enormously impressed at this end. Great result, you are class mate.

Jools - quality running, congrats on the PB.

TR - 18 !!! Good man, that's money in the bank mate.

CW - happy birthday, cracking 20. Can you remind me of the trail/fell shoes that you think are good on snow ice? Looks like we're about to embark on some s**t weather here in Notts and I'd rather keep running outdoors rather than doing the treadmill if at all possible.

Wardi - great week mate, looking good.

Congrats to all the XC'ers yesterday, some fine runs posted, well done all.

14 weeks to go

TR
13/01/2013 at 20:20

mmmmmarmite - 14 weeks to go eh, plenty of time to gently come to the boil yet then.

MtR - excellent miles, good to see you back to it...............pulled pork ! Sounds like a teenage boys late night entertainment !

13/01/2013 at 20:40

Wondering what peoples views are on walking as part of training. I have two dogs and walk them for at least an hour a day. Is is best to walk before or after a run. I generally walk the dogs after a run (within a couple of hours of finishing)

Today was my day off and walked about 5 miles with the dogs. should I include my walking miles in my weekly mileage

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 20:41
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.