Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,941 to 92,960 of 109,494 messages
14/01/2013 at 14:40

Viggy that must have been one fast race....it looks like the 'last runner' vehicle was following you!!!

14/01/2013 at 14:52

Came 88th out of 2000 odd runners. Winning time was 2:08. The next person finished around a minute behind me, hence the empty track...

14/01/2013 at 15:21

Thanks for comments guys.  The back-to-back sub-3 marathons were half-jokingly planned with some mates in the pub after the Beachy Head Marathon in October.  And when half a dozen of them turned up to run the double last weekend, they wouldn't let me forget!

Viggy - great effort and part of the world I know fairly well, having lived in Bet She'an (about 20 miles south of Tiberias) for a year.  Do you live out there, or was this a holiday?

14/01/2013 at 15:31

Cheers. I moved out here 12 years ago.

That was my 8th Tiberius in a row! Have also run Jerusalem, London (x2), Berlin, New York and Boston.

Am running Jerusalem and Tel Aviv mara's this year, followed by a 60K ultra, in preparation for The Comrades Marathon in June!

14/01/2013 at 16:32

Viggy - Congrats for doing what it says on the tin!  That's an almost Njord-esque schedule for the next 6 months.

Njord - a machine, I tell thee!  Get some interval training in now for VLM.  Cheesy naans are on me.

Padams - absolutely cracking ultra performance.  I think it takes balls just to enter such a long race where you know there's a good chance of getting lost and making it even longer.  (Aah, ploughed fields in Bedfordshire.  Cows on bridges... )  And big congrats to AW's other half. 

Crazy XC'ing through thigh-high Thames floodplain water for me on Saturday.  Madness!  The standard in Surrey League Div 1 seems to be getting stronger so I was happy to battle my way from outside the top 50 to finish 37th and 8th scorer for the club.  Not too far behind the lesser-spotted (not like that) BEJ as well.  65 miles on the bike yesterday, so should be up for another hard LR next week.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
14/01/2013 at 16:47

PP, I heard about the div 1 XC from a guy who finished towards the back - he said that lifejackets should have been issued to the backmarkers as the water was rising so rapidly.  Mitcham Common for div 2 was a paradise by comparison.

14/01/2013 at 16:57

Padams - great result, maybe you'd have caught them if it was 50M!  Congrats to AW's lady too.

Njord - impressive list of results, especially the unconventional warmup for a marathon win.

Viggy - good going in your marathon, getting through the tough bits should help mentally for Comrades.

Good long ones for CL, Al, ES, SL, Jools, TR (lots of miles for a day off!), AW, Andy D, Wardi and M (welcome too).

PP - good result in the XC, if you stay injury free you'll fly round VLM.

Ended up having less time than planned yesterday so got in 13M in 90mins, shin a bit painful but not too bad.  Day off today as had more treatment on it this morning then normal training for the rest of the week.

TR
14/01/2013 at 18:41

Viggy - nice one, decent sub3.

Njords - reassuringly nuts, would be good to see you PB at VLM.

AL-P - the Forest is going to take ages to dry out this year.

PP - good weekend's work there, nice bike miles.

LJ - hope that shin behaves

5M, 1M, 5M. But, I must have done something to stir up the knee I damaged the ligaments in a few years ago as its pretty unhappy at the mo, and its got strong enough in recent years to commute on, run hills and faster paces etc.  Maybe I twisted it doing some hamstring stretching (who knows ?), maybe its related to the hammy issue. Anyway, I'm not far off being on the bench. It was really shouting at me going up and down the hill today, so I'm going to sack the commutes (the commute has a compulsory big hill both ways) and stay on the flat as a last resort before I then stop completely. No commutes means less frequency and miles though.

14/01/2013 at 18:54

Well done Viggy, that will have put hairs on your chest!

Njord: berrrludddyyyyy hell. Worrying lack of any references to strong European lagers in there mind. Oh, and thanks for talking up the toughness of C2C 2010 ;- )

AlP -- nice 20. Yes, mine was laps -- 26 of Parker's Piece (about 0.7M each), with a couple of excursions to the nearby shopping centre loos as variety. Imaginitive, eh? I have done a full marathon as laps of the same park in the snow once... I didn't want to go on a distant adventure as I was a bit worried about my ankle (which seemed fairly OK today, slight niggle still but now in a marginally different place, so it can't be anything too fundamental).

14/01/2013 at 20:40

Given that I walk for a living I reckon it does help, if only with recovery, though I don't count it as training.

Slipped and slided around 8 miles into work this morning Though wasn't that much slower than normal.

14/01/2013 at 20:49

OS thanks for the link on walking.

I count is as positive recovery. Working in IT I need to get on my feet as much as possible! 

14/01/2013 at 21:17
Joolska wrote (see)

ES: thread wisdom is that pink grapefruit is the ultimate anti-cold medicine.  Feel free to also have curry, echinacea, vitamin C, zinc and First Defence (non-branded alternatives are available).  The placebo effect of each is nothing short of miraculous.

Curry to cure a cold - I think I like the thread wisdom

Thus far I've made do with paracetamol & caffeine. I'll see how I am tomorrow before speed-dialling the local Indian takeaway!

14/01/2013 at 21:43
Joolska - pink grapefruit indeed. Hang your head in shame for even mentioning such baloney. One of my colleagues (nice bloke, but lives on a different planet full of wild conspiracy theories and miracles) has an electric shock machine he has built. Claims it gets rid of all viral infections within minutes. He also has some potion that gets rids of hangovers in the same sort of timeframe. He's a clever, outgoing chap and When I hear him in full flow I realise how these obviously stupid claims gain credence.

Walking - clutching at straws mate .

Anyone watching this programme about fat people? (No offence MtR) but if I went out and gambled all my money away, frittered my house on a crack habit, then would someone give me my money back? No. So why is money spent giving these people their health back that they've frittered away when all they have to do is eat less cake (and do some walking).
15/01/2013 at 07:45

OK, I should have put an appropriate emoticon after that post...  All in lighthearted jest, LD 

15/01/2013 at 07:57
ES - Garlic is meant to ward off goals.

I managed 2x 6.25 miles yesterday. Easy and M paces.

Off for a long ride now. See if the bike still works!
MtR
15/01/2013 at 08:44

LD: none taken - weekly weigh in yesterday morning showed a 6lb drop since NY Day. Onwards and downwards.

I do a lot of walking - I take the dog out 10 times a week for at an hour each time and 2 hours at the weekend. About 3-4 times a week we run, but the rest is walking. Lovely to do, makes me feel good, should be good to me, but it's not training. Add in cycle commuting for 50mpw and that's a lot of time out there but not training. But better than watching TV or driving a car. However as my weight gain shows, it isn't enough to burn off a runner's food consumption.

Excellent XC from PP and some awesome marathons from Njord. 

TR
15/01/2013 at 09:04

Dids made me laugh twice then. once with the "no offence" to MtR and once with the clutching at straws.

I do a MTB commute a few days/week and dont count it a bike training, so wouldnt count walking as training. Walking is recreation.

15/01/2013 at 09:48

I've got the measuring wheel out and accurately measured how far it is from my desk to the toilet (I've even knocked up a UKA Certificate of Accuracy in Word to prove its authenticity). So I now diligently record all my miles to and from the latrine, and add it to my weekly total.

Top bombing from padams and Mrs AW in their Fun Run at the weekend.

Not bad from njord too - carry on like that and you might not be the weak link in our Thunder Run team this year

7 miles for me last night at 9'12 avg. I'm reet good me

15/01/2013 at 09:50

Nice progress MtR.

My daily commute doesn't make it into my training log but I'm sure it all adds up.  I probably walk 40mpw, and since Boris Bikes weigh (quite liderally) three times as much as my road bike, 20 miles a week on one of those must be good resistance training!  Saves me a few bob on transport costs as well, which I can spend on beer and other sundries.

Soup of the Week: Celeriac and bacon.  Today's lunchtime bowl will be my first official tasting with a bread roll and everything, but after last night's pan licking I'm fairly confident this is one of my best yet.

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 09:53
Cheerful Dave    pirate
15/01/2013 at 10:10

LS21: do you sometimes use the upstairs toilet so that you can log it as a hill session?

Yesterday's run was one of the more dispiriting ones: cold, sleeting that turned into rain, legs still feeling the effects of a hard turbo session and inadequate gloves so I finished with painful fingers.  Not pleasant at all, but they're the ones that really count I suppose.  I even resorted to chasing a really short strava segment that popped up on a run last week: 100m along an alleyway.  If I can't break 25s even on a bad day then things really will have sunk to a low.  Maybe when I upload the run later it'll change from a miserable wet run into a glorious conquest of the 3 people who've previously run that segment.  Outrageous fortune indeed.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.