Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,961 to 92,980 of 107,309 messages
MtR
15/01/2013 at 08:44

LD: none taken - weekly weigh in yesterday morning showed a 6lb drop since NY Day. Onwards and downwards.

I do a lot of walking - I take the dog out 10 times a week for at an hour each time and 2 hours at the weekend. About 3-4 times a week we run, but the rest is walking. Lovely to do, makes me feel good, should be good to me, but it's not training. Add in cycle commuting for 50mpw and that's a lot of time out there but not training. But better than watching TV or driving a car. However as my weight gain shows, it isn't enough to burn off a runner's food consumption.

Excellent XC from PP and some awesome marathons from Njord. 

TR
15/01/2013 at 09:04

Dids made me laugh twice then. once with the "no offence" to MtR and once with the clutching at straws.

I do a MTB commute a few days/week and dont count it a bike training, so wouldnt count walking as training. Walking is recreation.

15/01/2013 at 09:48

I've got the measuring wheel out and accurately measured how far it is from my desk to the toilet (I've even knocked up a UKA Certificate of Accuracy in Word to prove its authenticity). So I now diligently record all my miles to and from the latrine, and add it to my weekly total.

Top bombing from padams and Mrs AW in their Fun Run at the weekend.

Not bad from njord too - carry on like that and you might not be the weak link in our Thunder Run team this year

7 miles for me last night at 9'12 avg. I'm reet good me

15/01/2013 at 09:50

Nice progress MtR.

My daily commute doesn't make it into my training log but I'm sure it all adds up.  I probably walk 40mpw, and since Boris Bikes weigh (quite liderally) three times as much as my road bike, 20 miles a week on one of those must be good resistance training!  Saves me a few bob on transport costs as well, which I can spend on beer and other sundries.

Soup of the Week: Celeriac and bacon.  Today's lunchtime bowl will be my first official tasting with a bread roll and everything, but after last night's pan licking I'm fairly confident this is one of my best yet.

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 09:53
Cheerful Dave    pirate
15/01/2013 at 10:10

LS21: do you sometimes use the upstairs toilet so that you can log it as a hill session?

Yesterday's run was one of the more dispiriting ones: cold, sleeting that turned into rain, legs still feeling the effects of a hard turbo session and inadequate gloves so I finished with painful fingers.  Not pleasant at all, but they're the ones that really count I suppose.  I even resorted to chasing a really short strava segment that popped up on a run last week: 100m along an alleyway.  If I can't break 25s even on a bad day then things really will have sunk to a low.  Maybe when I upload the run later it'll change from a miserable wet run into a glorious conquest of the 3 people who've previously run that segment.  Outrageous fortune indeed.

15/01/2013 at 10:24

CD - I like your thinking. Changes will be made

And as an aside - did anyone do the MK Marathon last year? Just interested in feedback if so.

Ta

OS
15/01/2013 at 11:52

Did anybody say walking was any part of marathon training?  My observation was that with almost no effort at all you can walk ~5 miles per day and climb 40-50 flights of stairs.  I think this very frequent low level effort is beneficial, as was suggested by famous comparison of life expectancy of bus drivers vs conductors. Alternatively a life where you have a resting heart rate for 90% of the day, then go for a brisk run seems odd. 

Off now to hurt my core. 

OS
15/01/2013 at 12:31

I've got quad-DOMS from unaccustomed mountain walks now and then, if that counts. I do note big family mountain adventures in my training diary for future reference, but don't count them as "run" miles.

I don't count normal 3-4M cycle commutes either, but if I've gone out of my way to do a little extra (even just 8M en route to work), I write it down so I know I've done something, but I don't keep any totals of such jaunts, and they're not Garmin'd either.

CD "100m along an alleyway" -- best way to get that record is to run it 20 times in the hope of getting the most outrageously small distance measurement yet in at least one pass -- being so short, and with buildings either side, the GPS distance is going to be really inaccurate... (well toughed out BTW).

15/01/2013 at 12:37

Afternoon all.

Been a crazy few weeks here, so not even got to lurk, but from a quick scan back, a few quick comments............

Njord - impressive and nuts in equal measure! It will be good to see what you do at London!

Padams - nice ultra-ing.

MtR - good to see you getting back in the groove.

M - hello! Sounds like you're running well. I'll be doing Dublin too.

As for me, well a hectic few weeks to say the least. All of my lot came down with flu over the holidays, which I luckily managed to avoid the worst of myself, but I have ended up on steroids for my asthma. Combined with other stuff going on, including a trip back home for a family reunion (first time all 7 siblings have been together for ~2.5 years), training has been poor (to say the least). I stood on a scales yesterday morning to find myself needing to lose 5-7kg, and then strapped a HRM on yesterday afternoon to find myself needing to find 50+ secs per mile over the next 14 weeks to (borrow CRAB's phrase) avoid a case of PrettyBoy-itis.

On the plus side, the steroids seem to be doing their job as I can actually run without coughing up a lung this week, plus I normally lose weight and get into shape quite quickly, so it's not all bad.

I had planned to do the Fred Hughes 10m this weekend, but I'm going to give it a miss in a nod towards sensibility and starting to get some decent training in.

15/01/2013 at 12:53

ZaTTu - shame you won't be at the FH10, I'm doing lead bike so maybe could have had a chat on the way round! Probably sensible though.

I had a bit of time spare over lunch so quickly wrote a report on the ultra (quite rushed so probably lots of mistakes etc.): http://padams123.blogspot.com/

No photos as yet but will add them in due course!

15/01/2013 at 13:15

A shame indeed Padams, but yes, sensibility reigns at the moment. I wouldn't have been anywhere near troubling the lead bike though. At the moment I reckon I'd be doing well to clock a 59:xx.

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 13:16
15/01/2013 at 14:18

Nice to hear from you, ZaTTu; sounds like things have been less than ideal of late but you are on the road to recovery.

13M for me at lunch; sunny and cool here but no snow and very little ice so all in all very pleasant.  Very gradual acceleration throughout to go from 8.10m/m to 7.17m/m, ave 7.48s.

15/01/2013 at 14:31
Lord Didsbury wrote (see)

Walking - clutching at straws mate .

... all they have to do is eat less cake (and do some walking).

Hmmmm

Cheerful Dave    pirate
15/01/2013 at 14:41

I guess postmen (sorry, mail delivery operatives) can eat as much cake as they like

Nice thinking CW, but there are back gardens either side so the GPS signal will be strong on this one.

Much nicer run today: proper gloves on, dry, 10k at a good lick.  Lovely.

15/01/2013 at 15:40

Cheers Jools. You sound in good form?

I missed selbs post first scan around. I hope NZ works out well for you, and my fingers remain crossed for that knee of yours!

OS
15/01/2013 at 17:10

ZaTTu. Sorry to hear of your woes, but better now than a few months later!  Off for 10m@slow in -5C. 

OS
TR
15/01/2013 at 18:35

TT - ha ha, you're way too fast to suffer from PrettyBoy-itis.

Off to read Padams Blog.

15/01/2013 at 22:02

TR.. hope that pesky knee improves.

TT.. sounds like afrenetic time but glad to hear you are over the worst of it.

LS21.. still going for the win at York? 

Jools.. more good miles in the bank, that's a long lunch break.

Viggy.. very well raced and a cracking time to boot.

Al P.. nice 20 banked.

Njord.. very reasonable indeed, hats off to you.  Can't believe you are abandoning Frankfurt, what with their lager and the size of those Steins! 

Can't quite match MTR's weight loss but I have dropped from my poorly rib Xmas/excess period weight of 12st 6lbs to 12st 2lbs.  4 +7m today, stuck to the treadie - very icy around here and I can do without falling over again!

15/01/2013 at 22:15
wardi - indeed I am. Just whacked ??50 on myself at Ladbrokes. Nailed on I reckon
16/01/2013 at 06:41
Good blogging Padams!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.