Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,961 to 92,980 of 109,520 messages
15/01/2013 at 10:24

CD - I like your thinking. Changes will be made

And as an aside - did anyone do the MK Marathon last year? Just interested in feedback if so.

Ta

OS
15/01/2013 at 11:52

Did anybody say walking was any part of marathon training?  My observation was that with almost no effort at all you can walk ~5 miles per day and climb 40-50 flights of stairs.  I think this very frequent low level effort is beneficial, as was suggested by famous comparison of life expectancy of bus drivers vs conductors. Alternatively a life where you have a resting heart rate for 90% of the day, then go for a brisk run seems odd. 

Off now to hurt my core. 

OS
15/01/2013 at 12:31

I've got quad-DOMS from unaccustomed mountain walks now and then, if that counts. I do note big family mountain adventures in my training diary for future reference, but don't count them as "run" miles.

I don't count normal 3-4M cycle commutes either, but if I've gone out of my way to do a little extra (even just 8M en route to work), I write it down so I know I've done something, but I don't keep any totals of such jaunts, and they're not Garmin'd either.

CD "100m along an alleyway" -- best way to get that record is to run it 20 times in the hope of getting the most outrageously small distance measurement yet in at least one pass -- being so short, and with buildings either side, the GPS distance is going to be really inaccurate... (well toughed out BTW).

15/01/2013 at 12:37

Afternoon all.

Been a crazy few weeks here, so not even got to lurk, but from a quick scan back, a few quick comments............

Njord - impressive and nuts in equal measure! It will be good to see what you do at London!

Padams - nice ultra-ing.

MtR - good to see you getting back in the groove.

M - hello! Sounds like you're running well. I'll be doing Dublin too.

As for me, well a hectic few weeks to say the least. All of my lot came down with flu over the holidays, which I luckily managed to avoid the worst of myself, but I have ended up on steroids for my asthma. Combined with other stuff going on, including a trip back home for a family reunion (first time all 7 siblings have been together for ~2.5 years), training has been poor (to say the least). I stood on a scales yesterday morning to find myself needing to lose 5-7kg, and then strapped a HRM on yesterday afternoon to find myself needing to find 50+ secs per mile over the next 14 weeks to (borrow CRAB's phrase) avoid a case of PrettyBoy-itis.

On the plus side, the steroids seem to be doing their job as I can actually run without coughing up a lung this week, plus I normally lose weight and get into shape quite quickly, so it's not all bad.

I had planned to do the Fred Hughes 10m this weekend, but I'm going to give it a miss in a nod towards sensibility and starting to get some decent training in.

15/01/2013 at 12:53

ZaTTu - shame you won't be at the FH10, I'm doing lead bike so maybe could have had a chat on the way round! Probably sensible though.

I had a bit of time spare over lunch so quickly wrote a report on the ultra (quite rushed so probably lots of mistakes etc.): http://padams123.blogspot.com/

No photos as yet but will add them in due course!

15/01/2013 at 13:15

A shame indeed Padams, but yes, sensibility reigns at the moment. I wouldn't have been anywhere near troubling the lead bike though. At the moment I reckon I'd be doing well to clock a 59:xx.

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 13:16
15/01/2013 at 14:18

Nice to hear from you, ZaTTu; sounds like things have been less than ideal of late but you are on the road to recovery.

13M for me at lunch; sunny and cool here but no snow and very little ice so all in all very pleasant.  Very gradual acceleration throughout to go from 8.10m/m to 7.17m/m, ave 7.48s.

15/01/2013 at 14:31
Lord Didsbury wrote (see)

Walking - clutching at straws mate .

... all they have to do is eat less cake (and do some walking).

Hmmmm

Cheerful Dave    pirate
15/01/2013 at 14:41

I guess postmen (sorry, mail delivery operatives) can eat as much cake as they like

Nice thinking CW, but there are back gardens either side so the GPS signal will be strong on this one.

Much nicer run today: proper gloves on, dry, 10k at a good lick.  Lovely.

15/01/2013 at 15:40

Cheers Jools. You sound in good form?

I missed selbs post first scan around. I hope NZ works out well for you, and my fingers remain crossed for that knee of yours!

OS
15/01/2013 at 17:10

ZaTTu. Sorry to hear of your woes, but better now than a few months later!  Off for 10m@slow in -5C. 

OS
TR
15/01/2013 at 18:35

TT - ha ha, you're way too fast to suffer from PrettyBoy-itis.

Off to read Padams Blog.

15/01/2013 at 22:02

TR.. hope that pesky knee improves.

TT.. sounds like afrenetic time but glad to hear you are over the worst of it.

LS21.. still going for the win at York? 

Jools.. more good miles in the bank, that's a long lunch break.

Viggy.. very well raced and a cracking time to boot.

Al P.. nice 20 banked.

Njord.. very reasonable indeed, hats off to you.  Can't believe you are abandoning Frankfurt, what with their lager and the size of those Steins! 

Can't quite match MTR's weight loss but I have dropped from my poorly rib Xmas/excess period weight of 12st 6lbs to 12st 2lbs.  4 +7m today, stuck to the treadie - very icy around here and I can do without falling over again!

15/01/2013 at 22:15
wardi - indeed I am. Just whacked ??50 on myself at Ladbrokes. Nailed on I reckon
16/01/2013 at 06:41
Good blogging Padams!
16/01/2013 at 08:05

Some photos added to the blog now (well, last night actually).

Tried an easy 4M last night and felt OK. Then circuits (first one I've been to this winter) - luckily it was mainly upper body/core, but legs felt OK anyway on the lunges etc. My shoulders and chest have become embarrassingly weak though!

LS21 - what odds did you get? Do you know what odds I can get on you not winning?!

16/01/2013 at 08:19

The odds of me not winning are about the same as you'll get for Barnet not winning the Champions League. So not a great return on your money TBH. Mind you, will have to see what the weather brings this week - it's -5 at the mo, and not forecast to go above -3 at all today, and similar for the rest of the week. It's also forecast light snow for race day, but hopefully it will still be on. Joking aside re me winning, my Half PB is a pretty soft one (81'12) and is over 3 years old - not sure I'm in PB shape but it would be nice to at least give it a whirl, even if it's only for 56 yards.

Nice blog too by the way - are you really 8 feet 6 or are the other fellas a bit short?

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 08:20
16/01/2013 at 08:29
Padams - nice report. Good discipline to let the leaders go off course and wait for the next group. I've done so many races that require navigation and it's amazing how many people just assume everyone else knows the way which leads to them getting lost en route. No point running fast if you're going in the wrong direction.

A good sneaky tactic is to run 50 yards behind someone not paying attention, let them go wrong, then cruise on by in the right direction so they can't follow you.

LS21 - I had a good lump on another Yorkshireman, Scott Waites, to win the BDO darts. I'll re-invest on your good self for a Yorkshire double.
16/01/2013 at 08:37

Padams great race report. I notice you are running the Lakeland 50. I am also entered for that race.

14 mile run home from work tonight. Not sure on my route yet as there is ice everywhere. Brought my trail shoes as I suspect I will be able to have more fun being off road in the snow than compacted ice of the pavements. Was -6 this morning, so hoping it warms up a little.

Lest I forget I will also be walking the dogs for an hour after the run, grabbing some snacks before I go.  Nobody ever did answer if it was better to walk the dogs before or after a run. But everyone seemed in full agreement that I should add double  the mileage for walking the dogs to my weekly total

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 08:37
16/01/2013 at 09:19

I'd say walk afterwards as active recovery, TB

LS21: Padams really is that tall.  It has made finding the sub-3 crowd outside the Red Lion very easy on occasion.

Evening run for me tonight: 12M to include collecting orchestra music.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.