Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

92,981 to 93,000 of 105,387 messages
16/01/2013 at 08:05

Some photos added to the blog now (well, last night actually).

Tried an easy 4M last night and felt OK. Then circuits (first one I've been to this winter) - luckily it was mainly upper body/core, but legs felt OK anyway on the lunges etc. My shoulders and chest have become embarrassingly weak though!

LS21 - what odds did you get? Do you know what odds I can get on you not winning?!

16/01/2013 at 08:19

The odds of me not winning are about the same as you'll get for Barnet not winning the Champions League. So not a great return on your money TBH. Mind you, will have to see what the weather brings this week - it's -5 at the mo, and not forecast to go above -3 at all today, and similar for the rest of the week. It's also forecast light snow for race day, but hopefully it will still be on. Joking aside re me winning, my Half PB is a pretty soft one (81'12) and is over 3 years old - not sure I'm in PB shape but it would be nice to at least give it a whirl, even if it's only for 56 yards.

Nice blog too by the way - are you really 8 feet 6 or are the other fellas a bit short?

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 08:20
16/01/2013 at 08:29
Padams - nice report. Good discipline to let the leaders go off course and wait for the next group. I've done so many races that require navigation and it's amazing how many people just assume everyone else knows the way which leads to them getting lost en route. No point running fast if you're going in the wrong direction.

A good sneaky tactic is to run 50 yards behind someone not paying attention, let them go wrong, then cruise on by in the right direction so they can't follow you.

LS21 - I had a good lump on another Yorkshireman, Scott Waites, to win the BDO darts. I'll re-invest on your good self for a Yorkshire double.
16/01/2013 at 08:37

Padams great race report. I notice you are running the Lakeland 50. I am also entered for that race.

14 mile run home from work tonight. Not sure on my route yet as there is ice everywhere. Brought my trail shoes as I suspect I will be able to have more fun being off road in the snow than compacted ice of the pavements. Was -6 this morning, so hoping it warms up a little.

Lest I forget I will also be walking the dogs for an hour after the run, grabbing some snacks before I go.  Nobody ever did answer if it was better to walk the dogs before or after a run. But everyone seemed in full agreement that I should add double  the mileage for walking the dogs to my weekly total

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 08:37
16/01/2013 at 09:19

I'd say walk afterwards as active recovery, TB

LS21: Padams really is that tall.  It has made finding the sub-3 crowd outside the Red Lion very easy on occasion.

Evening run for me tonight: 12M to include collecting orchestra music.

16/01/2013 at 09:19

Padams - good race report

Jools - Guessing in your office the definition of 'lunchtime' is flexible! It's pretty easy going here (helps that my boss is based in Paris),  but I've never done more than 7-8M at lunch.

Wardi - Solid TM mileage, don't blame you for avoiding the icy conditions

TT - Hope you get back up to speed quickly, I've put together a pretty decent schedule for the fundemental phase from the info you sent me, bit of an amalgamation of some of the Canova workouts and other workouts as the club training session dictates. From starting to read Bounce, it's not just how you train but who you train with.....  Still working on the MP specifc phase, buit it's coming together (entered key training races and planning how to structure the pace in each one)

I had a bit of DOMS in my calves still yesterday morning and was in two minds about training, the plan was to try out a session with Marigold's BAC crowd as they have a good focus on spring marathon. Did a light 4.5M jog at lunch and some roller on the calves and they felt much better, so gave the Bournemouth prom session a shot. Format was 6min(5k)/5x2min(3k)/6min(5k) and pacing came out at 5:28/5:10(avg)/5:33 pretty happy with it but was definitely starting to flag towards the end of the 2nd 6min effort. Was nice to have a chat with Marigold and Clearly too, will be back for more next week 

16/01/2013 at 09:21

Al_P: I'm self-employed, so on the days when I'm just reading I can be flexible about when I run.  On the days when I'm in court I can't be flexible at all and may not even get enough time for a sandwich!

M.
16/01/2013 at 09:24
ZaTTu - good to know there's another dublin trainer on here almost all of that 50s per mile will be weight related (~4s per kg per km?) so once you've lost that 5-7kg you'll be flying again!

Padams - FH10 was one of my first ever races. Very enjoyable. Nice blog.

Yesterday I ran 8k at lunch then in a fit of madness lined up for a post work 5k race. 21:13 was the outcome so a bit disappointing but probably a fair reflection of the work to be done even to get back to where I was 3 months ago.

Rest day to day (work related but also the first one in over 3 weeks so I'm ok with that)
M.
16/01/2013 at 09:40

Nice writeup Padams. It must have been quite tough at times with the weather.

TR - it sure doesn't feel like it at the moment!

Nice one Al_P. I'm glad it was of use. My planned training probably doesn't resemble any one 'style'. Nice session btw. I like the idea of mixed pace sessions and have done some before and found them fun and am planning sessions along those lines (but with a more MP/LT focus) on most Mondays.

4s per kg per mile would be a good start M. I'm sure a proportion of the weight is linked to the medication, so once I finish that (about another week), I will probably see a significant shift in that direction. It also messes up my sleep, so I'm sure that probably contributes to feeling slower and unfit as well.

Now, it sounds like I need to get down the bookies and get a bet on LS21!

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 09:41
16/01/2013 at 09:48

TT - Hope you get back to it and are fit for Bramley.

Padams - great report.

AL_P - Sounds lke your back at it nicely.

TR - Hope the knee improves.

16/01/2013 at 09:51

LS - I'm quite tall but not quite 8ft6, more like 6ft5 (or just under). The most annoying aspect is when muppets say "no wonder you can run fast, one of your strides is the same as two of mine". I then ask why the top 10k/marathon runners are not 7ft+ in that case.

Dan - when the eventual winner was relying on me for directions, I was tempted to stop to tie my shoelace/pee/another made-up reason just before a turning and then watch him go the wrong way. Seemed a bit unsportsmanlike though!

Tim B - I am entered for the Lakeland 50, although I might not do it, I'll see how I feel after the ironman. I got a free place this year because I was in the winning mixed team last year (we weren't fast, I'm guessing we were the only mixed team!). Re. walking the dog, I would do it after the run as a cooldown.

16/01/2013 at 10:12

Hey Padams - no wonder you can run that fast, one of your strides is the same as two of mine (and several of ickle Joolska's).

# It's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights #

As you were. 

16/01/2013 at 10:26
Dan - get the money on fella you know it makes sense. Although I'm slightly offended by the link to the other fella. One of us is a fat, unfit, slightly balding ugly bloke. And the other one plays darts.
16/01/2013 at 10:39

Good write up Padams, sounds like you've recovered well too.

Zattu - shame about the asthma but you were in decent shape recently so it should come back quickly.

Jools - you're doing some good length runs at the moment, is it base building or just the fact that you've had some spare time?

Al_P - nice session, that's a good group to train with too.

TB - offroad is probably a good plan for later.  

TR - hope your knee is OK.

MtR and Wardi - good weight loss, running's good for that.

M - sounds like your 5k wasn't that serious anyway and will have been good for training.

LS21 - give it a good go at BM, would be good to start the year with a shiny new PB.

My shin was still a bit sore yesterday but the plan is to train on whilst getting treatment and it's definitely a lot better than last week.  Did 4M slow at lunch and then 10M quicker in the evening.  First mile was 6.45 then sped up a bit and did the last 6 miles at 5.50 pace, went through 10M in 60.17 so a "Coro lite" run but a good workout, especially on at times icy pavements.  Doesn't seem to have aggravated my shin so that's a good sign too. 

TR
16/01/2013 at 12:09

LJ - good news on the shin improvement

Al-P - those BAC Tuesday sessions will do your marathon hopes the power of good, you might even bump into the special one one week.

Trainers are parked until my knee improves, better to do it sooner rather than later.

16/01/2013 at 12:15

LJ: trying to follow P&D up to 70 mpw, which doesn't favour doubles much.  Sodding RW editor removed all the text because I used an 'up to' sign.  Can't be bothered to retype it!

TR: hope the knee improves soon.

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 12:16
16/01/2013 at 12:21

Nice running Al_P and LJ. By contrast I had a rather pedestrian 12.5M trek to work this morning with 4x0.5M at only ~ 6min/M and then 7.5M steady at 7min/M -- both of those should improve by about 45 sec/M to be back where I've been! However, running through freezing fog I did look like someone who'd escaped from the local Scott Polar or British Antarctic Survey places (thought my eyese were going to get frozen shut):

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/390670/gallery/icy_eyebrows_small.jpg?width=350

16/01/2013 at 12:29

Charlie: that photo is priceless!  I can't decide whether the 'highlights' or the frosty eyebrows/eyelashes are best... And to think people struggle to understand why we run?!  Hope you have now defrosted

16/01/2013 at 12:39

Defrosting was quite quick Jools -- seeing my reflection in the door I took a quick pic outside to show the kids (yeah that's you guys ;- ), but once indoors I had a surprising amount of icy water running down my neck rather quickly...

16/01/2013 at 12:51

Blimey - Charlie is the love child of Dickie Davies

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.