Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,001 to 93,020 of 109,498 messages
16/01/2013 at 18:12
After two days of running 17 miles (with about 5 miles at MP each day), and a hard 12 mile hill repeat session today, I was rather pooped on the train to Nottingham. for a meeting. Highly unlike me, I fell fast asleep.
Thankfully some bloke shook me at Nottingham and asked if I was getting off there. Very brave of him and Thank god he did as the train was bound for Norwich, and I fear I may have slept all the way.

(Once got a train to Utrecht and forgot my meeting was actually in Rotterdam. An expensive emergency 40 mile taxi ride I don't ever want to repeat.

They may as well have had a dunces cap ready, and made me sit in the corner when I arrived with my pathetic excuse for being late.)
16/01/2013 at 20:05

Great photo Charlie

Felt like Bambi on some sections running home. Especially as it started getting dark. The odd section of black ice almost had me over several times. I would rather risk the black ice than consider the treadmill option. I have only run once a treadmill once and it was a truly awful experience!

16/01/2013 at 20:50

CW - thanks for the info on the Innov-8's. Can you offer any guidance on fit. I'm running in Brooks Green Silence and Saucony Kinvara 3's at the moment, having switched away from Adidas Boston as the latter were feeling a bit narrow. Thanks

16/01/2013 at 21:52
Sounds like everyone's ticking along nicely. I had a Portsmouth Area XC race today which I came 2nd in. 5.37 mile in 31:53. Please with form and strength. Very strange to lead a race. I took up the pace from 3km and could hear the other 3 in the lead group struggle but one got a couple of paces on me in the last KM and I couldn't get past at the end. Pleased overall. Beat my work colleague and shows training is paying off. I also got offered some races for the work squad so hopefully that will raise my stock.
17/01/2013 at 08:40

marmite - having just got a pait of Inov8 X-talon212s I'd say they are quite narrow (definitely narrower than the Kinvara), with my new pair I opted for a bit more space in-front of the toes to provide a bit more width. But the X-talons are built on a performance based last (performance = pointy and narrow!) they do off-road shoes with an anatomical shaped last, such as the newer Trailroc series. these are shaped more like your foot actually is, with much more space/width in the toe box. Unfortunately I don't think Inov-8 make an anatomically shaped shoe with the chunky lugs of the X Talons (which is what makes them such a good XC shoe IMO). For general fit try the shoe fitter application (found on this website, go to the shoe you're interested in and the app link is under the description) which takes a shoe of known size that you already wear and shows you how it would compare in size/fit to a show you're interested. This has helped me take the guess work out of buying shoes online. The application is US-based so you have to do a bit of playing around converting from UK to US sizes (usually available on the manufacturers website). I've found it to be pretty accurate. 

LJ - That's a handy 10miler

Toro - Top XC ing

CW - Nice look!

TB - Treadmills shouldn't be feared, got me through many foreign business trips when it's been too hot/not nice to run outside. May well be back on one tomorrow, with the snow that's forecast, the evening 5k I was planning to race is looking in jeopardy 

Went easy yesterday with 7M at lunch, feeling pretty pooped!

17/01/2013 at 11:35

SL - 5 weeks to Bramley is a long time so I'm sure I'll be fit enough to get something useful out of it (hopefully) by then, but will be a long long way behind you!

Very nice running LJ, and yes, you're right, I wasn't in too bad shape about 6-7 weeks ago, so I should be able to regain at least that reasonably quickly and push on from there.

Great photo CW.

I have an aversion to treadmills and static cardio equipment generally going back to when I bust my knee up and spent months on a xtrainer, so even though we have a treadie at home I'd rather take a pace hit on sessions than use one if possible - it looks like tomorrow may have to be the exception given the forecast.

I bagged 21.5m yesterday afternoon in a 10m easy, 11.5m steady format. My first long run since Berlin(!). Pace for effort was awful, but maybe a little less so than I expected and at least I felt fluid running, so not all bad.

17/01/2013 at 12:10

CW - Thats a cracking photo.

TT - Nice to see you bag a long one, not sure of my plan for Bramley, suppose it depends on who turns up and if there's a chance of some winnings.

RS - Good to see you back training.

Reps on Tuesday 5x1mile off 90secs, 5.13 average, double yesterday and legs felt good so I have a 5mile race tonight on the Weston promenade which should be interesting. 

17/01/2013 at 12:14

mmmarmite -- Al_P's answer is more comphrenensive, but my XTalon212's I ordered in a fairly generous size 10 and am happy with -- not least because off-road I sometimes wear thicker Gore-Tex socks. (By contrast, I found X-Lite 155 Road were like clown shoes in size 10, and even 9.5 is a bit on the big side, and the XTalon190s, also in 10, feel maybe a bit too big but weren't worth changing.) In civilian shoes I am a 9 or even 8.5, but get all running shoes a bit bigger. I think my feet are fairly wide.

Nice long one TT!

Day off for me after a big double yesterday, and a run commute to cope with the snow tomorrow; I was suffering further ankle niggles on the way home yesterday to a worrying extent, though am still "pleased" it has moved to a slightly different place, so I can't have had a stress fracture in the old place at least...

17/01/2013 at 13:10

what's with the treadmill backlash?

they are a wonderful thing - in my humble opinion they give your legs less of a pounding than concrete does (so fresher next time out), they are a welcome break from the same old boring streets, it's nice getting hot and sweaty every now and again, and you can get some hills done on them. Oh, and you can watch Saturday Kitchen/Come Dine With Me/News at the same time.

I use them about once or twice a week and will happily run for two hours on them.

17/01/2013 at 15:56

Treadmills are great for speed sessions, since you can just punch in the numbers and run. One thing I have learned though is to pay attention to your perceived effort and not rely solely on the speed you've set. Accuracy of the speed displayed is definitely variable between different treadmills.

Still got the lurgy today so another zero. Aaaaargh!

17/01/2013 at 16:16

TT - King of the bounce-back.  Just as long as you're fit for a Maidenhead smack-down! 

Just had an interesting work memo - a weekend "amber" snow warning for London and the South East.    A few of us are planning an epic LR w/MP on Saturday morning, which might have to be compromised.  I'm certainly contemplating the possibility of having to use some static gym equipment shortly.  Time certainly goes slower when you're on there (my distraction is a choice of really bad music videos or really bad telly, depending on which bit of the gym you're in), although to be honest the main concern for me is how much sweat I can generate if I do anything over jogging pace for anything over ten minutes.  I think a proper marathon pace session would have environmental health after me.

17/01/2013 at 16:29

PP - I'm meant to be coming to London for a friends birthday, part of the surprise is 2hours at Herne Hill velodrome, I'm guessing it'll probably be called off!!

TR
17/01/2013 at 16:38

Dont think I've ever run on a treadmill, dont feel that I've missed out though.

Wether it snows or not isnt going to have a bearing on my running this weekend.

17/01/2013 at 16:51
PhilPub wrote (see)
TT - King of the bounce-back.  Just as long as you're fit for a Maidenhead smack-down! 

Practice makes perfect unfortunately PP I'd really love a period of boring non-interrupted training at some stage just to see what would happen at the end of it. Maidenhead should be fine as it's 3 weeks before London. With 2 x HM and 2 x 20m races beforehand I won't even be able to claim lack of race fitness

I'm sure there'll be a podium place/prize money for you there irrespective of who turns up the way you're going SL

17/01/2013 at 17:02

SL - Really?!  I've not been to HH since about October, but it's my understanding that  they're on Winter schedule now, which means uncoached sessions for intermediate (inducted) riders with their own track bikes.  Unless you know any better or have a session booked?*  Either way, snow on the track will be a no-no.  You could always get up early and run one of the fastest parkruns round the corner in Dulwich Park instead.

TR - You've done a fair few hours on the turbo though.  It's largely the same except you can't sit down. 

17/01/2013 at 18:31

Charlie.. great photo, last time I looked like that was on top of a mountain in the Dolomites!

Excellent blog & pictures Padams.

SL.. nice mile reps there!

TT.. a very good 21m banked, you should be back up to speed pretty quickly.  That's one ability which unfortunately declines as you get older. 

I'm with Dids on the treadie use.  My hands turn blue when it's 0 degrees outside so mine is a blessing in this weather.  I've got a TV in the treadie room too, Over Xmas I remember doing a 12 x 400m session while watching 'The Sound Of Music'.  Trying to yodel along with 'High On A Hill With A Lonely Goatherd' at 6mm pace was not a great success.  

10m today, 3m outside to test a new pair of gloves then home again & hopped on the treadie for 7m inc. 1m @ HMP, 4 x 1k @ 5k pace then 1m @ 5k pace.

With the latest weather forecast I'm a liittle concerned about the Brass Monkey.  A lot of snow due tomorrow evening and into Saturday which isn't going to thaw.  I guess they will have to make a decision sometime on Saturday.  Fingers crossed anyaway.

Edited: 17/01/2013 at 18:32
17/01/2013 at 19:15

Wardi, thanks for the heads up on the BM. I've been watching the forecast with more than a little trepidation, and watching the unforecasted snow out the window! I'm with you on the treadie but can understand runners hating the damn thing. I have the same emotions every time I get on - within 10mins I am asking myself why I'm not outside in the wind/rain/snow. They have their place and are bearable for me if I play withe the speed. The monotony is if I need to run long. Then it becomes a mental battle. I also watch crappy TV, listen to 80s music and daydream about Wembley

I watched the Von Trapps for the umpteenth time and still ended up blubbing.

Me n mrs B are in York anyway cos we've booked in Sunday night, so looking forward to a beerio.

17/01/2013 at 19:29

AI_P & CW - thanks very much for the info chaps. The sizing facility on the runningwarehouse.com site is great.

OS
17/01/2013 at 19:30
Treadmills are horrible but have a place. This evening I did a 30 min core workout (likewise, I find these brutal but necessary) followed by a very brief warmup jog then an 18 30 5k on the treadmill, then 6 miles sliding home in the snow. I simply can't do a fast 5K session like that on the road without being in a race, also as our northern lordship pointed out, it is much less stressful on the legs vs road running. I quite enjoyed the run through fresh snow, and realized I was going so slow and with such a short stride to avoid losing traction that I was extremely close to walking.

A question that must have been discussed before: how does treadmill pace compare with that on the road? Outside of the gym, the ground doesn't whizz past my feet when I lift them up, and this must make things easier?
OS
A.W
17/01/2013 at 19:40

Loving that picture CW!

I'm not a fan of treadmills, will only use them if absolutely necessary. I find I run completely different on them! I think generally running on a treadmill you are a bit quicker than the road, but by bumping up the gradient a couple of percent counteracts this to a certain extent.

I have a 10k this weekend which I think may be in danger from the snow! Hoping its not heavy and the race goes ahead as I really want to race this weekend!

A.W
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.