Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,041 to 93,060 of 107,726 messages
OS
18/01/2013 at 11:01

Thanks for comments on treadmills, PP and Padams.  Makes sense. 

OS
18/01/2013 at 11:11

Looks like my weekend plans are in limbo.  Planning for a 3 hr drive up to mate's in York prior to the BM on Sunday.  Can't set off now until they make a decision, which won't be until Saturday afternoon.

Reckon they should just get on with it, and everyone will have to run a bit slower. Having already run a half this year on snow 200 miles inside the arctic circle, it certainly can be done.  Just need to man up a bit.  I did enjoy my morning run in the snow today, with a nice few supportive shouts from some London Welsh players heading into training.

I quite like the treadmill, but only use for speedwork these days.  Can't seem to run for more than a minute without pressing a button, so I usually do a 16 x 2 min session starting at 15 km/h and finishing at 18 km/h off 45 sec recoveries.  Proper hard work that is.

Can't believe Oprah didn't get to the heart of the matter and ask the question we all want to know.  Was Lance juiced up when he ran his 2.46 mara PB?  Or more importantly, was he when me and him had a smackdown at NY mara in 2006.  I remember clearly overtaking him on the first long bridge; in hindsight I should have come out with a witty snide comment.

TT - nice ranking.

Jools - you are running some seriously good times nowadays.  VLM yes?

Oh, and I've got some VLM news which will make you all laugh.  Will also be guaranteed to get CRAB to come out and mock.  Will post up later when confirmed.

18/01/2013 at 11:36

Cheers Dan. The news sounds interesting! I read somewhere that they reckon he was doped for his marathons as I think it was about the same time he was getting back to triathlons. I'll try find the link about it.

PP - I have done some bigger weeks over the last while, so the ton hasn't come out of nowhere, but it's been a case of 80-90 one week and 20-40 the next......... Sounds like a good plan with Finchley. I'm hoping to get a bit of LT work done over the next few weeks and then start getting more specific starting with the Bramley 20.

18/01/2013 at 12:18

Nice racing SL and Jools. You're so mature and blasé about prizes Jools -- picking up the odd trinket in local races is about the sum of my ambitions, so I always feel compelled to hang around for them!

ZaTTu -- impressive mileage (my personal record is only 65 miles in a week, on a few occasions, but maybe I'll try some more in this campaign if I get niggle-free).

Which country are you in, M.?

Just a basic run-commute for me today which will make for a 50 mile week. I'm still heavy from Christmas and still have a slightly niggly ankle, which is annoying, but it doesn't seem bad enough to stop running for a fortnight or anything like that (maybe I should have done over the hols; now I'm getting conscious of races coming up).

18/01/2013 at 13:09

Dan A - Oh, and I've got some VLM news which will make you all laugh.  Will also be guaranteed to get CRAB to come out and mock...

...TT - Cheers Dan. The news sounds interesting! I read somewhere that they reckon he was doped for his marathons as I think it was about the same time he was getting back to triathlons.

TT - I've never tested positive. I like my credibility on this.  Are you calling me a liar or a doper? I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles..Vive La Marathon.

As you slur! 

18/01/2013 at 13:19

Charlie - nice picture.  Upon closer inspection, it's just as well you didn't look behind you though...

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/675323/gallery/image_010.jpg?width=350

18/01/2013 at 13:26

Dachs - very good!

Dan - oh dear, are you going for the WR for the fastest marathon dressed as an asparagus? Fastest marathon wearing an Xempo t-shirt? (Is it "an Xempo" or "a Xempo"?)

ZaTTu - I would have thought we would try to reschedule the FH10 if it can't be done on Sunday, but haven't heard anything yet. Will let you know if I get any insider knowledge.

18/01/2013 at 13:31

So, anyway, after being away over Christmas/New Year, I found returning to this thread and reading all the massive amount of posts rather daunting, so I have delayed re-posting.  Can't catch up with everything (or, indeed, very much at all), but best wishes to Selbs for what sounds like a very tough time.  Good 5 miling action from Jools and SL, and great racing over a frankly idiotic distance by Padams.

I've been getting back to 50+ mile weeks for a bit now, so the pace is heading back to where it was.  Haven't done much exciting running-wise, apart from a few failed attempts at getting the Woodley parkrun record before Christmas, and my first cross-country race in almost 20 years last weekend.  I found it a tough reintroduction to XC, but finished 6th and helped the club to its usual 2nd place result, so can't complain too much.  Next target is Wokingham Half, which I note that various others are also doing, including ZaTTu and Al_PAl_P, I'm aiming for a similar time to what you've put down, but didn't want to say so in public...

Vaguely decided that the marathon target for the year will be Abingdon.  I note entries open quite soon.  Anyone else aiming at this one?  ZaTTu - I note this is now the club marathon championship race.  According to the newsletter, a "vocal minority" campaigned for the marathon to be included in the club champs.  I think this is a reference to you...

18/01/2013 at 14:50

I'll be at Wokingham, Dachs.  Like the photoshopping!

Turns out I was third lesser spotted last night, albeit B&W have kindly promoted me to 2nd in their race report!  I need to do a shorter cool down, as Weston AC now owe me 2 bottles of cheap plonk 

Looking forward to DanA's news ... this had better be good!

18/01/2013 at 15:32

lol. Very good CRAB. Maybe I'm just a cynic?

Cheers Padams. I might get to do it yet then if I'm lucky!

CW - I also have a few more aches and niggles when I'm carrying a bit more weight. Once it goes, so do they.

Nice one Jools.

Very good Dachs That was December's newsletter, and yes, I saw it. It [the vocal minority] wasn't just me. I can't see the point in asking for opinions if you dismiss them out of hand and then refer to them in such a manner in the newsletter. As for Wokingham, I certainly won't be anywhere near what I put down, but I should be better off than I thought hopefully.

Ended up going for the sensible option of the treadmill as the wind was blowing the snow horizontally. It wasn't as bad as I feared.
Initially planned session was {8 x 1/2m, 1 x 1m} @ 5m effort. I thought I'd optimistically shoot for 5:30 (10.9mph). It ended up feeling easier than expected, so I changed the session to {3m, 2m, 1m} off of 6min recoveries at the same pace.

18/01/2013 at 15:55

...told you CRAB would raise his head above the parapet.

News is that RW are looking for sub 3 pacers for VLM and I've said that I'd volunteer as I forgot to fill in my GFA form.  Think I got the gig based on PB's rather than previous record at London   Anyone dare to follow me???

Actually they need a couple more (one for each of the three starts).  If anyone on here is interested let me know and I'll suggest to the man in charge at RW Towers who will make the decision.

18/01/2013 at 16:08

DanA: Blue Start? (As in see you there, rather than offering to be a pacer; clearly don't have the credentials myself!)

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 16:08
TR
18/01/2013 at 16:57

Bloody hell DanA, have they seen your VLM CV ? Maybe you should employ a helper to carry on when you cant.

MTB ride home through the snow was a bit dicy at times, the nippers are up on that big hill sledging away now.

Blisters    pirate
18/01/2013 at 17:14

Fck me, the sub 3 aspirants have got to try and keep up with Dan A?

Better start plugging away with those 100 mile weeks, even those 100 mile runs!

(respect, mate)

18/01/2013 at 17:19
I managed 18 on the treadmill at work. Cut out every 60min! 2:15 for 7:30mm but felt hard. Good job I'm going to relax this PM!

I love getting a little prize (so very rare). Best was a hair dryer and a chest of cosmetics (wife's Xmas sorted)!
18/01/2013 at 18:36

Dachs, that's abominable, though your best one yeti...

... welcome back, and 6th in the XC sounds rather good.

Snow so far here has been a skim of gritty stuff that made the pavements a bit slippery, but the roads are still fine. So tactically running rather than biking wasn't particularly helpful, with ~4kg tonight as I wanted to bring a laptop home (inadvertently testing your more baggage == more niggles theory, TT). Seemed Ok though.

18/01/2013 at 18:48

TR - actually my mate volunteered last minute some years back as they didn't have anyone to do it.  His PB was 2.58 and he wasn't in top nick.  Got them to 20 miles and had to bin the job and leave them to it.  Even had to turn his "pacer" t-shirt inside out as it was too embarrassing as he hobbled down the embankment 

A repeat of last year's Gloucester marathon that I ran with Ode would be ideal.  Halfway in 1.29 and finished in 2.59.50 - sure the train would appreciate the 6 min/mile sprint in mile 26 to make the cut 

18/01/2013 at 19:49
Good luck Dan. I've often thought I'd fancy doing a pacing job but I wouldn't want to waste a training campaign on it. Maybe as a (rather tough) long run 5/6 weeks out from a target marathon?

Anyway, I believe the local is soldiering on in Blitz-like fashion so I'd best show my support. I may be gone some time...
OS
18/01/2013 at 19:57
Dan. That's quite a gig to take on. As a standard to meet I offer you the two Swiss guys that I followed gun to tape in the Zurich M last year who efficiently delivered the short train to the finish line in 2 59 50 which I thoiught was impressive but risky. Also I recall~5 years at VLM setting off at around low 2 50 pace and passing the 3hr pacers after about half an hour, suggesting a rather strange schedule. Actually from reflection won't you start with a cast of thousands and finish with three people, so maybe it doesn't matter.
OS
18/01/2013 at 20:07

Great 12.5 trail run after work in the snow. Strava is implying I was a touch slow, but felt like I was working consistently. Last 4 miles were done at MP +15% with same effort as the hill sections so hopefully ok. 18 to 20 miles at 07:00(am not miles per min ) tomorrow. Which is mostly uphill to the half way point and mostly down hill after that My plan states that I should be running 70+ mile weeks, but only managing to fit 55 miles for the last couple of weeks.

Not sure I am getting enough speed work in, but my plan does have some quicker runs next week. So hopefully the snow and ice will be be gone by then. Starting to get twitchy that I promised myself I would run my first  5km in February.

It is sort of motivating seeing all these great training and racing times. But also a little off putting for someone who is a scraper 3 hour runner. Hopefully I can put in some times I dare post when the conditions improve under foot.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.