Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,061 to 93,080 of 109,528 messages
M.
18/01/2013 at 21:06
Tim - for someone who isn't even a scraper 3hr runner yet, I'm going for it being inspiring rather than off putting. But I do know what you mean.

CW - I'm in Wellington, New Zealand. Although there are bits of NZ that get cold and snow Wellington isn't one of them. The normal lowest winter temperature is about 5 or 6 degrees. Although the wind can make it feel a lot colder!

Good on you Dan - there'll be lots of people very grateful. When I first broke 1.30 for the half I did so following a pacer and very definitely would not have made it without him.
M.
CL
18/01/2013 at 21:37
Snowy lunchtime 6 miler in Battersea Park for me. The park looked lovely, but the wind was a bit challenging.
18/01/2013 at 21:56

Dan A - fairplay, lol You should get TR on board for that, he'd be good at leading the charge! I might even hitch a ride, got a feeling my VLM campaign is going to be a short one and a lets see what happens on the day anything under 3hrs will do the way things have been going recently. Still a fair bit of time I suppose.

Loads of snow and ice up here in the frozen tundra of the north so I can't run outside anyway plus I've got a proper good old cold that's come on today. Don't feel as bad as I could do if Newcastle don't put Reading away at home tomorrow as I'm back in the Gallowgate

CL
18/01/2013 at 21:58
I used to dislike running on the basic treadmill in the shabby room we had for a gym at our last office, but I miss it now, especially when the local 'council' gym is eight quid a go. (Isn't the frame of reference thing only relevant when accelerating?)

Was half considering running Dulwich parkrun tomorrow but I reckon it'll be pretty slippery.
TR
18/01/2013 at 22:13

DanA/RS - fear of failure (as a pacer) would be quite motivating I guess, but I'm only 2:5X good, so couldnt afford an off day. We have some of that frozen tundra too, not a bad time to be on the (running) bench ! Plenty of time indeed for both of us, I missed 9 consecutive days of running at the start of March last yr and 10 days in January before my first VLM, they are my two fastest, so I'm pretty cool about it. I have a number for a 10K Sunday that I cant do now cos of my knee issue, so if it gets re-scheduled then I might dip in !

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 22:21
18/01/2013 at 22:21

TR - I'd be no good pacing at London with my 3.00.16 and 3.00.31, hahaha. Now that would be pressure for me to take the job on!!!! I'd be running scared all the way There's loads of my lot from Heathside running and a few from Heaton Harriers up here. I think I'll treat it more like a party, day out and enjoy all the hoopla that goes with it rather than obsessing about times/mile splits. I'm actually more interested in nailing a really fast half and a 35.xx 10k. A decent marathon performance would be good though. I agree I'd rather go into London bang on rather then get injured closer in the build up. Hope your knee sorts itself out mate but still plenty of time like you say - it may be a "Coro 10 week build up" job for me.

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 22:23
TR
18/01/2013 at 22:27

RS - agreed, plan to enjoy the day as you never know what it's going to throw up, so its pointless spending too many matches planning/stressing over what might or might not happen from now on in as you can only control the controllable. I wasnt planning on bagging a 20 until mid Feb, so I still have tons of time. I'll try a test run Tuesday, that'll mean I'll have given it a week. If its ok, then a week or two building back up gets me to where I need to be by mid Feb.

18/01/2013 at 22:38
What's new gang........anyone training for a marathon?

Hope you don't mind me rejoining the party, would seem rude not to at this time of year. Already been highly entertained by reading back a bit to find the big news of the day is Dan and his pacing duties, classic

No need for any treadmill action here in the Bournemouth / Poole micro-climate, just a bit of slush to contend with. parkrun operating as per usual in the morning which is good news as need a good blast to see how my fitness is coming on from a rather lazy/fat December!
18/01/2013 at 22:39
I really should change my avatar. Been a while since I did any "posting"
18/01/2013 at 23:12

TR - obviously I've missed something; what did you do to your knee?

Dan - sorry, but that's brilliant

CW - I was thinking bodyweight, rather than accessories. I don't even like carrying a phone if I run to work.

TR
18/01/2013 at 23:28

Nice to see Marigold, you obviously copped a bit less snow than we did, we dont usually get much though.

TT - dont know, I've done something to stir up the knee I damaged the medial ligaments in a few years back (possibly a DIY related injury or maybe I twisted it), it had been a bit achy (no big deal) but it was really moaning running up and down the hill on my commute Monday (hill is compulsory) so I've stopped for a while. Hopefully its ok again soon and I can run commute again, otherwise its a very low mileage campaign ahead. But early days so we'll see. Shit happens, buts its small potatoes at the moment.

Blisters    pirate
18/01/2013 at 23:30

Marigold, a new avatar is definitely required. You look like Postie Postie. Marigolds are rubber gloves, yes?

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/26252/gallery/marigold.jpg?width=350

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 23:32
18/01/2013 at 23:34
Perfect Blisters! I've submitted it for approval ....... Hope it doesn't get banned for being too kinky
18/01/2013 at 23:50

Padams - Enjoyed the blog.  You do make it sound quite a bit easier than it must actually be.

DanA - Targeting a VLM PB then?

CW - great photo!

Nice to meet Al_P at training last Tuesday.  I did a tempo rather than the session which tells me that my current tempo pace is 7:35.  Plenty of room for improvement.

My basic plan is temo on Tuesday,  marathon pace on Friday, long on Sunday and as much else as I can fit in without getting injured.  The slush Marigold mentioned got in the way of marathon pace running - at least on my side of the town it was too risky to go much faster than a jog. 

My attempt to be responsible and not run on the snow and slush was rebuffed because apparently it wouldn't be safe for me to use the local council run gym unless I had an induction and I couldn't have one then so I ended up sliding my way around the local parks for 5 miles or so.

19/01/2013 at 00:03
Clearly - Prom and Poole park both completely clear and slush free if you are looking for somewhere to up the pace
19/01/2013 at 00:18

Dan A.. congrats on the lollipop duties.  Though when you inevitably start to wobble at 22m I reckon it will be a lurking CRAB that plucks the lollipop from your grasp to claim the pacing glory! 

Good double punning Charlie!

Marigold.. good to see you re-appearing, don't you have any cartoon banking/IT monikers now the postie era is over?  

York BM.. the local villages are under snow and more due tonight so it is a matter of gritting (country lanes are not usually a priority around here) & whether it will freeze.  Not too hopeful meself.

Q: What's the difference between Jimmy Saville and the ghost of Christmas past??

A: One rattles his chains and puts the willies up people, the other one is just a ghost.

Edited: 19/01/2013 at 00:23
19/01/2013 at 06:49
Dan - sounds like a decent gig, not sure I would like the pressure.
Hope BM doesn't get called off for all you us doing it.
Tr -hope you're off that bench soon.

Lots of snow in Somerset managed 9 glorious miles in fresh powder on the mendips, only fell over twice. 3 early doors this morning on clear roads, but I wouldn't fancy running on the pavements
19/01/2013 at 07:26

Welcome back, Marigold.  If they won't accept the glove, you can have a picture of a pretty flower instead

Sounds like a good plan, Clearly.  Hope it all goes to plan.

Taking my Yaktrax (purchased as an insurance policy prior to Running Home for Christmas) for a spin (well, hopefully 20M) soon.  It'll be the first time they've been out of the box!  According to the Beeb we got 16cm here but I'm assuming the snow on the Downs will now be quite compacted.

19/01/2013 at 09:40

PP - won't be a wasted campaign.  I'm training for the Barca marathon on March 17th,  with a target of sub 2.45, so VLM will be an interim training run as I build up to the ultra season in the summer.

OK, so I've a lousy VLM record, but it's because I've always gone through half way in 1.22-1.25 seeking a PB, and blown up/given up.  The only time I've actually ever tried to run 3 hrs exactly was last year at Gloucester and did it with 10 secs to spare.  I've paced half marathons before no problem.  If I'm injury free then a controlled steady sub 3 shouldn't be too difficult.  Think I've gone sub 3 about 10 times before.  Will try and keep CRAB in sight though in case it all goes wrong and I have to hand the baton 

M.
19/01/2013 at 10:03

A very easy day for me today.  30mins on the mountain bike, pootling around roads/trails then 40mins easy on the beach.  

Good uck with the snow everyone.  Hope there aren't too many cancellations.  

M.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.