Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,101 to 93,120 of 107,078 messages
19/01/2013 at 14:36

Welcome back Marigold, and the parkrun was impressive by mortal standards.

Dan -- now that's an incentive to get it right!

mmmarrrmite -- excellent, glad you're pleased :- ) -- now you can see why I don't bother with spikes in XC races. These babies were just invented for anything multiterrain, too, as they're reasonably quick on the hard stuff. That can be good in XC where there is some hard path available and all the spike-wearers have to forego it. I did eventually flatten the studs on my first 212s, which are now retired as leisure shoes, but to be fair I did 1000 miles on them. I'm keeping my 190s in top nick for races. As for road shoes, I got on so well with the 212s that I was really excited to get some Road X-Lite 155s... but actually I found the soles were too thin for me on the outer edge of the ball of my foot (where I land kind of badly), and grip can be iffy too. Here are some fresh weight measurements BTW:
   XTalon 212 size 10, nearly new: 250g
   XTalon 190 size 10, still in good nick: 232g
   XLite 155 size 9.5, bit worn: 176g
   Adizero Hagio size 10, bit worn: 180g (advertised 6 oz in size 9 or 170g)
-- it's fair enough that bigger sizes are heavier, but I've noticed the Inov8's in my size are heavier than the quoted (size 8?) weight by a bigger margin than other manufacturers. My ASICS Pirhana SP3 were bang on the advertised 136g.

The 212s were the shoe of choice for me again today; we've just had 1 or 2 cm of soft snow in Cambridge, but my ankle seems happier off-road too. It felt OK so I did a similar run to PP, 23M @ 7:16 average, this time 30 laps of Parkers' Piece -- was pretty obvious where I'd been by the time I finished -- though I livened it up by doing multiple-of-3 laps a bit harder for a while (like a game of FizzBuzz), so I had 5x0.7M@6:38/M in there. Felt a bit hypo (sugar not temperature) and my legs were peculiarly reluctant for a short time afterwards, so it felt like I was really provoking the glyco-depleted marathon endurance systems at last. I'll want that kind of run to feel totally humdrum in a couple of months.

19/01/2013 at 14:59

mmmmarrmite -- meant to say (probably have before), I was actually shouted at in the street last year by a bloke who said I was being reckless -- he was skidding around struggling to stay upright, and I went past him at 6:30/M in the 212s

You can get too cocky though. While they're great on any icy stuff that has a bit of 'give', you can still come acropper (sp?) on glassy ice, which I did a couple of years back (breaking my finger). Hence the standing family joke about Dad's magic shoes being absolutely infallible until he spectacularly falls over...

Will be interested to hear how Jools' elasticated brillo-pad grippy things go.

19/01/2013 at 15:17

Oh, and you can see what an English Marigold looks like here: http://sp.life123.com/bm.pix/marigold-flower.s600x600.jpg

I like the fact it's pretty close to the colour Marigold likes to dye his hair...

A.W
19/01/2013 at 16:39

Nice long runs Joolska and PhilPub.

My 10k tomorrow at Dorney Lake was called off yesterday, so have adjusted my weekend plans to a 10 miler today which I have just done, nice and steady in 7.55's a mile. Then plan to do a long run tomorrow as substitute for my race.

It's not actually too bad under foot here in London. Pavements are fairly good, just the odd bit of slush where you have to watch your footing a bit.

It's a shame that the the weather has affected quite a few races. Hope its not going to drag on for too long!

A.W
19/01/2013 at 17:02

Great running everyone. Charlie sounds like a tough session. I hope I can make 06:30 pace at distance feel easy at some stage this year.  Begining to think it might not be April before this happens, but not giving up for April just yet.

Steady 18 mile in heavy snow running on trails. Ran with a friend who is aiming for a sub 3 and showed him my long off road route. Ended up running a little slower than I planned, but a very enjoyable run in the snow. 

19/01/2013 at 17:26

I can't keep up with you lot, not on the roads or on the thread. To be fair I've had some 'real life' stuff on the home front to deal with so internet mooching has taken a back seat.

Last weekend's dusting of snow turned the pavements to icy deathtraps, so other than  an intervals session on cleared paths over at the uni campus during the week (aborted after 7 half mile reps as the paths iced up), I've had to do all my evening running on the dreadmill. I usually do Monday and Thursday's easy runs on there anyway as I'm at the gym for other stuff, but I also had to do my 13 mile MLR on the thing. I hate treadmills. They make me sweaty and bored. 

Today was meant to be 20 miles, but despite leaving the house at 7.30am, I ran out of time (and energy) and called it a day at 18.77. Very deep snow in the woods, slippery powder on slush on the pavements. Pace was only 9.04s. Like I say, I can't keep up with you lot! Nearly fell asleep in the hairdressers when they put me under the heater thingie to seal the colour. Zzzzzz. 

Tomorrow's XC has been cancelled, but I reckon the snow will have turned back to lethal ice by tomorrow, so it seemed sensible to get the long one done today. 

19/01/2013 at 17:31
Marmite - I'm new to Inov8 too (got my 212s at the start of the month) but completely sold on them, with the County XC champs and a muddy Forest 20miler logged. The 212 strikes me as one of those designs that just been got 'just right'. I want to try some of their other models but they're pretty rare in shops down south...

Nice sessions (MP, race and treadmill sessions respectively) from PP, Jools and TT and good long runs from CW, PP and Jools

Dachs - good to hear you're back at it, I've only really been back to full mileage training myself this week, so Wokingham target is debatable at the mo...

DanA - should be good motivation to pace it well at London!

Boscombe 5k was cancelled last night (despite Marigold saying the prom was snow free...), so opted for a 30min progressive run at the gym, starting at 16.5 and ending at 17.5kph (5:51/M to 5:31/M, average of 5:48/M, 2% incline) with 3M easy and 4M easy from/to home. 13.7M total. Stubbington 10k is still on tomorrow, but it's going to be pretty nippy!
Edited: 19/01/2013 at 17:36
A.W
19/01/2013 at 17:50

Just re read and missed CW's 30 laps of Parkers Piece for 23 miles! That takes some mental strength I'm sure!!

Nice run TimCC2 and treaddie session Al_P. Hope your 10k goes well tomorrow.

A.W
19/01/2013 at 20:41
Well, Helsby half has been cancelled tomorrow and Inskip is full. Shame, as I was confident of smashing a 22 month old pb. Carded a zero today so I think an extra long run will be the plan tomorrow. I have a free day so toying with the idea of running overdistance for a change.
19/01/2013 at 22:14

I re-arranged my plans around the weather, so 18M long run today on compacted snow. A bit slippy in places but generally OK. Pace wasn't spectacular, averaging 7:58 min/mile,but it's early days yet, and I did take two days off with illness so can't grumble.

More snow tomorrow apparently...

Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/01/2013 at 08:49
The most astonishing thing I've read lately is that CW has size 10 feet. Have you considered giving Peter Jackson a call?

Good to see marigold back and posting, in the forum sense at least. Inspiring us all to run proper fast.

21 for me yesterday, with a parkrun in the middle. All a bit tricky underfoot, especially the parkrun which was iced-up ruts for much of it and not ideal for any injection of pace. Still, as a time on feet run it was decent enough.

Swim first thing this morning, and it's started snowing again here.
20/01/2013 at 09:04

8M in the snow.  Left the Yaktrax at home today because the pavements are now too clear for them the majority of the time and I didn't want to have to try and put them on/take them off with frozen fingers mid-run.  As a result I had to opt for the powdery snow rather than the compacted snow once I got to the Downs and so ended up with a plodtastic 8.40m/m overall.  Decided to skip the prescribed strides on the basis that 4M of the run was effectively gruelling cross-country, which was work enough in itself for the legs!

M.
20/01/2013 at 09:11

2hr long(ish) run.  A day of mistakes (look at early morning rain, decide to run later, get out at 11am just as hot sunshine emerges, forget to take water, get too hot and dehydrated).  Still - made it round in one piece.  Followed by walk along the beach (about 1.5km each way) with partner and kids to get an icecream then back home for a snooze while he took them swimming.  Perfect.

Hope everyone with race cancellations finds something suitably fun to do instead.

M.
OS
20/01/2013 at 09:23
Sorry to hear about cancellations. Very disruptive. Great training noted from Joolska. And CW may have been running secret experiments to make his feet bigger.

M. I love that you are posting from the other side of the world! I do feel connected to but distinct from the UK living here in Switzerland, having run in many of the races that are discussed and having at least similar weather, but I won't be reporting "hot sunshine" any day soon. We have had around 4 inches of snow in last day or so, but I am confident the roads will be almost fully clear later for my LSD. A rest day yesterday, with a couple of hours of ice skating with kids.
OS
20/01/2013 at 11:47
No BM then, so took advantage with a rapid 22m on the snow/ice/slush. Felt brill all the way round. Hardest part was getting my key out of my pocket afterwards with frozen fingers. Can't wait to get out for another 12 this afternoon.

Some top quality miles going on this thread. Wii result in some awesome spring mara times for sure.
TR
20/01/2013 at 11:52

its snowing again here, but not heavily.

well done on the long runs folks, I was in the garage again for another 90mins. Think I'm starting to get hardened to the cold after 6 days in a row in there, but I got pretty cold again once I had sweated enough to get pretty wet.

indoor sports are the way to go, indoor crciket is still on this afternoon (at the mo).

20/01/2013 at 12:22
Found some decent snow on the top of the Purbeck hills this morning which was nice. Only for a few miles though and the rest was quite hard under foot so no real issues. 22 hilly miles clocked a little under 2.5 hrs so all good. I like it when my long runs progress to this sort of length time as it feels like "proper" marathon training
"Got too hot" and "ice creams" ........very jealous M. !!
Edited: 20/01/2013 at 12:23
CL
20/01/2013 at 14:11
Another 20 miler here, but one big loop rather than 30 like CW. (No wonder you felt dizzy.) Only 7:42 pace, but not too bothered about that today. Did overheat a little early on but pleased to have Helly Hansen and two fleece layers on more exposed sections. (Still got the shorts on, though!)
Blisters    pirate
20/01/2013 at 14:53

Only 15 miles here, but 8m/m for me was target mara pace on this rebuild. After 13.1 I was still holding chattery conversation with my running partner. That was a lovely surprise, because that is my effort level marker. If I can't hold a brief conversation at halfway, I've been working too hard.

I now need a new target marafun.

20/01/2013 at 14:53

Hopefully it's nothing major TR. Is it possible the cold weather could be just making it ache more?

Still no avatar Marigold? Obviously it must have fallen into the too kinky category then! Good to see you posting again.

Like the joke Wardi

Dan - I'm sure you'd do a much better job of pacing than me. I'm not sure fartlekking a full marathon would be the best way of doing it........

Some nice long runs being bagged, especially in the conditions. I got out on the roads for 13m nice and early whilst the roads were traffic free to make 118m for the week (off of 6 days running - I have a rest/family day pretty much every week nowadays). Best volume for years and a little less fat and unfit than Monday

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.