Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,141 to 93,160 of 107,090 messages
21/01/2013 at 13:30

Padams/PP - Hopefully might be able to bump into you amongst the 1000's on Saturday - will keep an eye out for Padams head and shoulders above everyone else

My weekly summary for those interested, note quite up to TT's mileage but my first week over a 100 since early October so more than happy.

Weekly Summary - 20/01/13

21/01/2013 at 13:35

........ that's annoying - Twitter rumours suggesting Southerns may already be on the cards to be cancelled

21/01/2013 at 13:51

LD - Totally agree on the dislike of 'marketing' BS associated with shoes, utter waste of time designed purely to sucker people into spending more money on shoes with more 'features'. Right now for me it's still a case of finding the shoes I like, I was sold on the Adidas Adios 1s for racing, then they were'upgraded' to the mk2 which feels completely different and I really don't like them. I hunted down a pair of mk1's after they were discontinued just so I have a pair to keep me going through marathons until a worthy successor is found.

Marigold - Good to hear you're starting to return to form  nice glove btw...

Edited: 21/01/2013 at 13:52
21/01/2013 at 14:38

There's another great reason to hang fire and spurn the latest gear changes until the point when something has to be done, and one I first witnessed with my old man. He'd played with the same set of rusty golf clubs for 25 years and decided it was time to test drive some new irons. On the second tee, a par 3, he took a 5 iron as normal, but this time the newer model (to his great pleasure in the circumstances) sent the ball miles over the green and out of bounds.

Sheer ecstasy was written all over his face, as he suddenly saw a brighter future.

I felt the same when I stopped running on roads in plimsols in the late 80s and got a pair of cheapo trainers with some lovely cushioning under my feet. It was if I was floating on air, and shortly after was inspired to train for my first marathon.

(Ditto when I had cause to play footy last May and had to buy some boots. Got some new fangled Umbros for £10 from JJB, and could barely believe it. It was like I was playing in slippers. What a feeling compared to my twenty year old feet multilating boots. )

And that's not the end of the potential thrills to come, when the time is right......Got a cooker from the 1970s at home, (a little white thing with a grill that sort of loops over the gas rings) that's somehow been used for xmas dinner for 12 people before now, a 28 inch telly that protrudes about 6 feet due to it's old fashioned CRT ... and should I ever get desperate and become a gay golfer again, my clubs are now 29 years old.

21/01/2013 at 16:57

Padams - Yes, it was planned rather than poor navigation. I needed 24 to hit 70 for the week and hadn't run the day before so thought I'd try overdistance for a change. More for novelty rather than part of any masterplan.

Al_P - That sounds like impressive shoe geekery. However, do you have anything in there to compare the aesthetic qualities of the shoes? Surely a key attribute, particularly of racing shoes, is how cool they look. Interested on your comments on the Adios though, I have two pairs of 1's on the go and was thinking about getting the 2's. May need to find somewhere to try them on first.

It's also the Northerns XC this weekend. The venue is Knowsley Safari Park. Hopefully by the time the senior men's race starts the lions will be full up!

21/01/2013 at 17:26

Marigold - really? That would be a strange decision considering it's XC (so you'd expect some rough/slippy terrain), and we're not really forecast much snow for the rest of the week anyway.

To be honest, I'm not really bothered. I doubt I'll run particularly well, it's usually the most painful race of the year, and in the time it takes to get there etc. I could get a lot more training done at home.

21/01/2013 at 17:54

A lot of great long runs over the weekend, I have been envious reading about them (apart from Andy D's, that's just too far!).

Nice 10k from Al P too, especially given the weather.

I've had 4 days off now as I tweaked my achilles on a run last week when I slipped on the ice.  Will be getting some new offroad shoes as my Saucony Peregrines are rubbish in mud (and ice) and have gaping holes in the uppers even though I haven't run that many miles in them.  Think I will try the New Balance 110s as they are cheap and light and seem to have quite decent studs.  Midlands XC for me at the weekend so hopefully my achilles will be fixed by then, will test it out tomorrow.

21/01/2013 at 18:04

the world's biggest mystery is why, in an age of 3D, Dolby Surround Sound and an array of the world's greatest actors and directors that Er Indoors and my kids still insist on going to the boring old theatre all the bloody time. 

The next most mysterious thing is why most of you lot do cross country? It's just an unhealthy public school pastime - invented so miserable teachers could be nasty and vindictive to young children. If you want to be a bloody toff, then buy a horse and go and kill foxes. Normal people long ago realised that cross country serves no logical purpose at all. It's miserable, painful and destroys the planet with the washing powder it needs. Normal people also recognise the blood, sweat and toil of the honest british workman and run on the roads/pavements they built for us. 

Down with the Upper Classes - Power to the people! 

21/01/2013 at 19:39

Just realised it's 3 months until the running themed charity carnival, so train tickets are now available. Can't decide whether to get a standard or treat myself and go cross country class 

21/01/2013 at 20:14
Andy D - I agree aesthetics are essential pictures are included...
21/01/2013 at 21:03
Blisters    pirate
21/01/2013 at 21:29

2h 20m on the turbo, covering 37 miles. Every 15 minutes got a 3 minute hill or high speed session. Odd time or distance? Nope, it was exactly one feature film.

21/01/2013 at 22:13

Midlands XC for me on Saturday as well, LJ.  Hope they aren't cancelled!

The only way of getting 6M in today without playing 'dodge the ice patches' was 13 laps of a local square.  Safe to say I don't now crave a track 5000m.

CL
21/01/2013 at 22:53
LD - XC also prescribed for borstal boys - see Loneliness of the long distance runner.

4m 'recovery' tottering round packed ice pavements. Would have preferred parliament hill.

PP - Do you know what condition Ladywell is in?
21/01/2013 at 23:11
CL - As of early evening Ladywell was closed and covered in snow according to my spies. We're not very hopeful for tomorrow, so coach Ken has done a local road reccy and apparently spec'd out a snow and ice-free stretch for a hilly 10 x 800 session if you fancy joining us?
Cheerful Dave    pirate
22/01/2013 at 09:58

With all the potholes on the roads down here, road running is turning into XC anyway, Dids.  More blood, sweat & toil needed, perhaps?

Isn't fell running, which is basically cross country with some proper hills in it, a good honest working man's activity?

6m yesterday on a mixture of icy pavement, clear road and snowy tracks.  Looks like more of the same today.

Shame about the cancellations.  Cancelling an XC race 5 days in advance seems a bit premature to me.

22/01/2013 at 11:51

Nice week Marigold. That was actually my first ton-up (and first over 20 long run) since mid-September. I'll swap you the 11m for your current speed

Any improvement on the knee TR?

Nice 10k Al_P. Bodes well for a significant pb in good conditions!

No day off after a long run for me Dan, but I do take a day off every week nowadays (usually Saturday), but that's mainly for family time than anything else. I have found other benefits in it though, such as it tends to focus me more on the other 6 days of training and make sure I make them worthwhile. I also make sure I get a good session in on Friday too so I appreciate the rest the next day

I bagged a split 16m this morning (had to take the car to the garage for it's MOT), with the last 7m around a nearby park. If the xc venue is anything like that I can understand why it was cancelled. Most of the park was covered in very thick ice.

Big treadie session yesterday. 1.5m, 1.5m, 2m, 2m all at ~ current HM pace, and then 1m @ ~ current 10k pace, all off of ~4min recs. It helped, mentally, that I'm guessing current HM pace is about mara pb pace.

22/01/2013 at 12:07

9M across town and back to work today, with thick hard ice on most of the pavements here in Cambridge; I didn't see anyone crash their bike this time (did a couple of weeks ago), but there were a lot of hairy moments. In fact I was avoiding being in the path of anyone who might lose it on selected sections with corners.

I usually have 2 weedays off a week and often one of the weekend days too, but if it stays this icy I'll be doing 5 straight commuting doubles for a change, as I don't fancy cycling on this stuff.

Edit: just seen that Mara Yamauchi is retiring (at 39). And she never did quite catch Marigold...!

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 12:11
22/01/2013 at 12:52

CW - thanks for the info on lightweight shoes, much appreciated.

Al_P - I'd be interested in seeing your spreadsheet.

LJ & CW - hope to see you both at Stafford Common for the Midlands XC, hope it doesn't get cancelled.

TR
22/01/2013 at 13:37

CW - I'm safer on the roads on my MTB that I would be on the pavements. Most of the City side of the hill has thawed now, but its still a bit frozen when you leave the steaming Metropolis and venture over the hill (which is my commute route).

TT - swelling behind the knee has mostly reduced (another reason to suspect ligamant damage as the swelling was there when I originally hurt it), still aches at times, but I expect that it will for a while now. Havnt tried to run on it yet, maybe later this week I'll try. Still got 12 weeks from the weekend coming, so plenty of time to have a steady few weeks and then a 6 or 7 week more focussed block. Would like to be back to running more consistently by next week.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.