Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,201 to 93,220 of 109,186 messages
24/01/2013 at 13:49

Joolska - if that's the one at County Hall then it's a great hotel. Rooms (especially the family ones) are so big I used to warm up in them before hitting the southbank.

It shares the building with the Hilton or Marriott or something, and you can mistakenly wander through an internal fire door and end up in there. Don't do it, or jealousy will ensue.

Neds Noodle Bar (opposite) is awesome, and you may occassionally see Pete Waterman in Starbucks next door, as his studio is on the same block .... if you fancy swapping the law for a disco hit and worldwide fame. 

24/01/2013 at 13:59

She should be so lucky.

I'll see myself out.....

24/01/2013 at 13:59

Charlie/Tim - 7.5 mile doubles are my staple running diet. Morning run is rarely any bother, evening run is just a mental thing of wanting to be home.

When I first did them (about 4 years ago), my legs used to be very stiff on the run home. Not now. I can sometimes do a decent tempo on the way home. If I'm doing a speed session or hill session I tend to just run the once in a day and may do it before going to work, or work from home.

If I decide to extend a run I prefer to extend the morning run. (There's a train stop half way which I sometimes use if I want to jack it in.)

When you do them enough you get to the point of not bothering to get changed (apart from a shirt) especially in winter and tend to have loads of spare shirts, towels and proper trousers/shoes at work so you rarely need a rucksack.

24/01/2013 at 14:00

LS21 - boom boom!

TR
24/01/2013 at 14:26

DanA - happy b'day matey, I have a couple of bottles of beer that we can share later.

CW - My knees do get plenty of strengthening work, but (I think) it's a re-tweak of a previous medial ligament injury, so no amount of Nervous Nerysness is required.

6M again, slighty tight behind the knee (probably a bit of swelling from y'days run) and in the lower hammy. Need to decide wether to carry on regardless or get back on the bench now. With only just over 100M for January I'm a long way behind my usual ~250M for January, so I'd rather carry on than stop again. Will see how it is tomorrow.

Edited: 24/01/2013 at 14:26
24/01/2013 at 14:47

Hold the front page.  Lord D in running at different times of the day and different paces SHOCKER (and even sees some adaptation as a result of doing it over an extended period)!

''Madcap, handkerchief wearing Didsbury resident Johnny Northerner has taken to a very unusual training regime greatly at odds with the latest fad plans promising the key to marathon running that lifestyle magazines and Z-list celbrities churn out in a completely clueless cascade of nonsense lapped up by halfwits as Gospel and a substitute for good honest graft.  When asked Johnny, over 45, said 'Yeah sometimes I run to work and sometimes I don't.  I even run home sometimes.  Everyone thinks I'm crazy but what they don't know is I'm daft as a bogbrush, me - I even vary the pace sometimes.  Crazy eh? I'm probably descended from t'whippet, lad.'  Nell McAndrew wasn't avaialble for comment but here's a picture of her with her norks out in a blatant attempt to grab your attention to another non-story.  Tracey Morris said 'Yeah I'd never run in my life, did 2 weeks under the watchful eye of Mr Northerner and then would have won the bastid Olympics if it hadn't been for the temperature getting above 15degrees for the last 15minutes...it cost me half an hour that did.''.

Can also corroborate the Peter Waterman story.  Sat at the next table to him just around the corner in Union Street once. I think he was impressed.  (CNBA to insert a lame (s)Hit Factory song title related pun - you can fill your own in.)

As you were.

24/01/2013 at 14:54

Happy Birthday Dan! I'm only 4 years (and 4 days) behind you.

That sounds generally positive TR. Personally I'd carry on and see what happens.

Nice speed A.W.

Sounds like good sessions (especially in the conditions) from the BAC boys.

Nice treadie session Wardi.

Fingers crossed on the achilles LJ.

Tweaked my ankle slightly on the ice on Tuesday, so took off yesterday and this morning to treat it and give it a chance to recover. Will jog home this evening to test it, but it seems sufficiently improved.

24/01/2013 at 15:00

Commutes. The bulk of my running is done as either commutes or on my wfh days. I was supposed to start using the track again on Fridays, but a change in bus schedules means I either skip the track and do my Friday session as a commute or don't get to see the kids. No choice of course, so commuting session it is.

It does leave me wondering if there's any benefit in renewing my club membership as I don't partake in team events and won't get to use the track, so the only benefits I can currently see are the coach to/from VLM and discounted race prices........

24/01/2013 at 15:16

LD: they are different establishments; Waterloo is cheaper and (I am sure) less cheerful as a result.  But it had rooms available, which was a plus.

LS21: so awful, and yet I sniggered despite myself

Cheerful Dave    pirate
24/01/2013 at 15:18

....and not having to slum it with TR on the red start, TT.  Worth every penny if you ask me

TR
24/01/2013 at 16:36

I'll have you know that I'm the highlight of some folks day, just ak Nell !

TR
24/01/2013 at 16:38

an she wasnt even on my start, she searched for me !

24/01/2013 at 19:50

TB -- my legs were a little fatigued yesterday, but more sprightly today -- avg 6:25/M on the way home (as I was late for supper, and it was mostly ice-free). Like LD I prefer to do any longer runs on the way in -- including a once-a-week 12-14M reps/tempo combo, in marathon training -- doing just a minimal 3 or 4M on the way home (quite feebly sometimes). Usually I don't do more than 3 days on the trot, so I'm entering unknown territory, but was pleased to go faster this evening. When I very first started doing running commutes, just running home again at the end of the day at all seemed tough, but one does get used to it OK.

I originally joined a club only for the vanity of the champs start -- but it's fun now to meet up with people at races and the Xmas dinner. I certainly don't get my money's worth out of the subscription, but then that's my choice (not bothering to go to the coached training sessions on the track etc).

A.W
24/01/2013 at 20:06
Happy birthday DanA,

Some good sessions being put in despite the snow and ice. Had a few niggles bought on by the slipping and sliding, but hopefully nothing serious.

An easy 10 miles yesterday and a progressive 8 miles completed today starting at 7.15 pace and winding it up every mile and ending at 5.45 pace. Happy with how it went.
A.W
OS
24/01/2013 at 20:08
Dan. Welcome to what I hope will be the best third of your life.

I tried doubles for a while but for me feel they are a bad idea. I think two hits a day on the legs is too damaging, and am not sure what training benefit is gained beyond time on legs. I prefer to combine running and bike commutes with complementary strengthening stuff. I am prepared to trade off speed from killer training vs running longevity.

LJ. Body pump is a rather poncy high-rep weights session, punctuated by second rate versions of second rate songs. I suggest as exercise it has nothing to add to marathon training, but helps a lot in strength and suppleness for early 40s blokes who have spent the previous five+ years doing nothing but running.

30 min core session, fast 5k on treadie, and 10k shuffle home in the ice.
OS
OS
24/01/2013 at 20:15
Interesting x-post Charlie re doubles. Your approach does solve the problem of how to get your kit home, which can get tiresome.
OS
24/01/2013 at 20:31

Happy birthday to Dan A.  Don't worry about the V40 thing, you'll just turn into one of those blokes who obsessively scopes out everyone before a race to work out who the other fast, grizzled vets will be.

Jools, having turned V35 a few months ago, I can confirm its rubbish.  No-one thinks you're actually a vet - not you, not genuine vets, and not race organisers - yet you still have to put up with an irritating V35 next to your name on Po10.  Balls to it.

ZaTTu, it'll be a shame if you leave the club, but I suppose if you're not getting anything out of it I can see why.  Would've been nice to try to get a quick team together for some of those relay events though.

Nice training in the snow and ice by everyone.  It would be nice to have access to a prom like Marigold et al, but I've had to turn to a business park to do my reps.  At least they have the resources to grit the footpaths.

Running commutes - I do 4 miles to and 4 miles back from work 4 days a week, and it's a hell of a lot better than sitting with all the same people in the same seats every day on the bus.  The only downside is forgetting to do your backpack up properly, and turning round to see your packed lunch strewn all over the road, looking like the UN have been delivering underwhelming famine relief from the air.

I hate to reignite shoe talk (no, genuinely, I am sorry), but, since there are sales on and all that, I'm looking to get some marathon race shoes. It's too far for my normal race shoes (Asics Hyperspeeds, which start to feel a bit harsh after HM distance), and my bog-standard training shoes are too chunky and heavy, and not brightly coloured enough to make me look faster than I am.  I'm looking for some kind of middle ground.  I asked here before, and got some recommendations, but didn't write them down, and it would take ages to root back in the history of this thread.  Any suggestions?

Edited: 24/01/2013 at 20:35
24/01/2013 at 20:51

DanA.. many happy returns fella, 40 sounds quite young to me!  Hope you manage a beer or two.

TR/TT.. all the best with those niggles.

Dids.. we stayed in County Hall for years on LM weekend.  We stopped a couple of years ago when they bumped the room price to £150 per night excluding breakfast.  It is a nice hotel, but not that nice!

Jools.. put your hand on your heart and tell me, did they book those rooms at Waterloo especially for you?

Legs a bit tired after last night's session so a steady 11m around the villages today.

Edited: 24/01/2013 at 20:55
24/01/2013 at 20:54

Swear by my double days when in full marathon training. Only do 6 miles easy with a spaniel (they alternate days depending on which one of them looks more "up for it" ) before work but it seems to do wonders for my general fitness levels, always see improvements within a couple of weeks of starting them.

Spend quite a lot of time stoppng for  dog "pit stops" though.........it's like running with CRAB

24/01/2013 at 21:36

Shoes - lovely.

Well Marigold swears by Saucony Fastwitch, but he's rubbish so I wouldn't follow his lead (unless you're a spaniel)

TR will be along shortly to say how he only has one pair of shoes for everything - work, weddings, triathlons, doing the garden etc. He's had them 114 years, and they're still going strong.

Charlie wears anything that weighs less than 50g, but then butchers the sole with a stanley knife cos he always gets blisters.

wardi is a Nike Lunar Racer man, which is handy cos they come with a free zimmer frame now

Quite a few others like the Adizero Adios - but a few folk didn't like it when they updated them, so have gone off em.

Erm, Al_P likes his New Balance MRC 1600s, I think Padams is a Saucony A5 Grid man, a few others wear Adizero Bostons etc.

I personally have about 500 pairs but they're all uselss, cos I can't run faster than 6'40 pace in any of em.

Edited: 24/01/2013 at 21:37
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.