Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,281 to 93,300 of 107,459 messages
26/01/2013 at 19:45

LJ - cheers, I think you're probably right 15 midweek will probably do the job. Sounds like you're going well.

LD - not a member of a gym so it'll be road, point taken. I was glad to see you put Stoke away (you are City right?) Zabaleta is a class act.

Dan - will you use a garmin to (help) pace the sub 3 train then?

TR - noted (matches) Swimming coming along nicely, managed to keep it going this time. Do you find it helps you aerobically with running? Either way I enjoy it so thats the main thing.

Swim first thing and then short run mid morning.

Edited: 26/01/2013 at 19:45
26/01/2013 at 20:03

Will read back soon, but want to have a hot bath to de-mud and unfreeze!  I found the Mids XC pretty tough going; when we arrived on the team coach it was very snowy; by the time of the senior races the course was an ankle deep muddy slush puppy.  I spent most of the time trying to stay upright and not go arse over tit...  Still, I placed fractionally better than previous attempts (41st v 45th in 2010 and 52nd in 2008), so I guess that's something.  Nice to see Speedy and someone shouted 'Jools', which I'm guessing is a fellow fredder.

26/01/2013 at 20:25
Northern XC today at Knowsley Safari Park. 12k of relentless snow/slush/mud. I enjoyed it in a masochistic kind of way. Did a warm up lap beforehand so had no expectations of a fast time and finished about 270th in 55mins. 20-odd tomorrow.
26/01/2013 at 20:44

Well done on the 18s, TR and Matt.  Good to hear that the knee may be recovering TR - hope there are no after effects tomorrow.  Sounds like the puppy is in sub-3 shape, Matt!

Dids: sadly, our paths will not cross in legal land.  I don't sully my hands with crime.  This also means I am clueless as to how to get out of jury service, I'm afraid!

TR
26/01/2013 at 21:07

Al_P - i think I saw 22M in there somewhere, so well played.

Jools - well done on the improvement

LJ - dont repeat the head start tactics at VLM !

Dids - no plans for any treadmill running for me, so it'll be 12 to 14 outside

RS - dont think that swimming helps running, but its good for the core and helps flush some healing blood round tired muscles.

My legs ache,  I think a few beers might help.

26/01/2013 at 21:23

I still haven't thawed out from the Midlands XC. Hideous is the only word. I was there all day as the only lift I could blag was with a bloke taking his son for the first race of the day. Mine was 2nd to last. I thought I quite liked muddy courses, but this was beyond a joke. I couldn't even move in forwards direction. Legs were going everywhere and I ran most of it at an angle like a wonky supermarket trolley. Well, I say 'ran', I don't consider that to be actual running. Rubbish. 

26/01/2013 at 21:40

Midlands XC was AWESOME!!!!!

A genuine homage to trench warfare in WWI.
Absolutely the worst/best XC conditions I've ever "run" in.
There was less friction to be had on that course than would have been found by rubbing up against a "Lazlar Lyricon custom job".  

26/01/2013 at 22:04

Have just looked at Garmin.  Average pace for the race: 7.58m/m.  And yet my legs are tired.  PMSL.

CL
26/01/2013 at 23:14
Well done at the Midlands XC. (Probably should have done it, as a Derby exile.) Saw pictures earlier contrasting conditions there with the pleasant conditions at Parliament Hill.

Dilemma. Have run three 20s on consecutive Sundays and feeling a bit weary, so probably should ease off. But conscious that we're away next weekend with little chance to run. So probably should JFDI.
27/01/2013 at 00:42
Good 5 pints washing down fish and chips and choccy fudge cake and lots more. Carbo loaded and ready for a long un tomorrow.
27/01/2013 at 07:58

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/594348/gallery/img_20130126_080929.jpg?width=350

The Angel of the North guards the way to the secret path. The dark line on the horizon is the top of the climb for this run. It was knee deep at the turning point and not very runnable. Wanting the snow to move on though, as have not been able to get in a tempo work for well over a week now. Was hoping to run 20, but running 18 was tough enough in this weather. Bought a rumble roller after this run, as the lack of bounce from the snow has left my legs feeling VERY heavy and sore.

TR hang in there. I am not sure I could even run my goal MP in a 5km right now! Maybe look to enter a HM or 10km have a mini taper and test the legs over something more competitive. That would hopefully give you more of an idea of where you are.

27/01/2013 at 08:37

TB - whereabouts do you live then and who do you run for? I run for Heaton Harriers, live in Jesmond (studentsville)

27/01/2013 at 09:04

Can either of you North East based chaps recommend a route in Newcastle for 20 miles and no chance of getting lost? I'm hoping to get up there next weekend. Based in Kingston Park. Familiar with the Town Moor and not a lot else. I didn't take up running until many years after I moved away.

OS
27/01/2013 at 10:27
Lovely pic, Tim.

Nice report of Dubai marathon. Can anyone here run 200m in 25s on fresh legs? I am sure I couldn't. http://www.letsrun.com/news/2013/01/ethiopias-lelisa-desisa-wins-2013-standard-chartered-dubai-marathon-in-20445-as-a-record-five-men-break-205/
OS
27/01/2013 at 10:57

Great stuff TR. I suspected you'd go well past your stated 15 The pace will come back quite quickly as you get back in the swing of it so don't stress it.

RS78 - I think a slow 15-18m in addition to a long run is ideal for marathoning personally. It may be the case that it's something you have to build to over several cycles, but if you keep it slow it can only help you.

LD - if you keep it slow on the road I don't see that it should have any more impact than using a treadmill.

Cheers Dan. And yep, Monday. Nice long run and pub quiz money

Of course Al_P. Yep, makes sense now. I'd forgottten about the Canova thing, or, to be more precise, was distracted as I had just been looking at some older workouts that were 20m+ with 10 x 800m @ 103%/800m jog. Very nicely executed!

marmite - steered like a cow then?

OS - I read that report. Amazing finish. 5 within 8s!!!

TR
27/01/2013 at 12:08

TB - I have a 10k next week if the knee is up to it, which will give me a mark in the sand. Great picture.

CW - hope the 1/2 mara went well.

TT - I hoped for 18, but would have taken 15 as a minimum. 18 gets me back to where I left off 2 weeks ago. Either the 10k or 18 next weekend and then I'll look for my first 20 the week after. Might have to look at starting the midweekers pretty soon too. Might help me catch up a bit. Commuting is out for a while as I want to keep off the hill at the mo.

Decided last night to give my knee a day off today, havnt had a zero since Christmas Day so no big deal.

27/01/2013 at 12:18
TB - nice pic! 18 in the snow is a virtual 20 in my book.

I'm not sure whether to be jealous of all you double-hard non-Southerners "running" XC this weekend. Fair efforts all round, especially as I've seen the photographic evidence.

Ironically I've also seen photographic evidence of a very green looking Hampstead Heath, although I guess it would be looking more like the Somme as usual after a lap or two. Still, it gave me the chance to get some seriously marathon-tastic training in. 42 fairly easy pace miles on the bike yesterday, and a full-on 24 running miles this morning in 2:45, including 7 @ 5:58/m in windy conditions. Hadn't intended to go quite that long but good to get it in the bag.
MtR
27/01/2013 at 12:36
No snow or ice left in London ths morning after a warmish day yesterday and rain overnight. 5 very easy miles with the dog round the marshes. No footie on Hackney Marshes this morning - pitches looked green but were totally water-logged. Need to pop out for another run later to clock up my 6 for the week.

Midlands XC sounds brutal - shame we couldn't get the southerns on yesterday.

Nice long runs already this morning from PP and from Njord reported on FB.
Edited: 27/01/2013 at 12:51
TR
27/01/2013 at 13:06

blimey PP a couple more steady miles and you'd have run a training sub3 !

waterlogged pitches here too, except for the indoor crciket pitch for this evenings game. 

27/01/2013 at 13:40

Zattu - i think it's in the cushioning of the treadmill. It's possible it's all in my head.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.