Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,441 to 93,460 of 107,440 messages
CL
31/01/2013 at 22:46
274m for me - quite a lot, but not when I see some of the numbers here.

Gels can be useful, but my best lift is a cheer from the family at 12m. Considering having a family placed at five mile intervals, expensive but worth it.

TR/PP Did I mention I'm not running Chichester at the weekend - double booked. Good luck!
31/01/2013 at 22:59

How much is Abo?

I'm in NY when the marathon is on in October so would love a place, but that seems very very unlikely, so Abingdon would be a decent alternative.

3M at 5:35 is too awesome to contemplate, as is an avg oace of 7:16.

My stats are:

Cycling miles: 15    Swim miles: 0

Running miles: 250    Running time: 34h54m

Av pace: 8:22 - sounds slow, would've guessed 15s quicker but I'm happy with how I've been running eg. 12M at 7:30 pace last week.

TR
31/01/2013 at 23:35

Family at 12M ? The SPO waits opposite Buck House just to make sure that I dont DNF !

CL - neither am I, Its all down to PP.

Simon - ABO is probably ~£25 to 30, cant remember exactly. It opens Feb 1st, so prices will be available then.

31/01/2013 at 23:55

12M MLR tonight.

Fetch Everyone informs me that I ran 205 miles in January.

01/02/2013 at 01:20

Chuckling at some of the posts.

So do the Kenyans drink lots of water on their runs? 

Like Joolska says I reckon it's what you're used to which means it's about training. I used to drink litres of the stuff in Africa, but have cut back loads these days.

There's two ingredients to a successful marathon (if you don't get injured) and you can't buy either of them, though god knows as CRAB et al say that's not for want of people trying to flog them.

1. Training

2. Willpower.

Smacked out a longer run today in my fakes. Went like a dream. 

01/02/2013 at 01:22

p.s. No idea how many miles I've done. Ditched the Garmin about 6 months ago. I just run now: mixed times, paces, distances, gradients. Don't doubt I'll get back to timing when I need to up the ante for the marafun but it's blissful running without a sodding stupid wrist device. Just running. That's my current philosophy!

01/02/2013 at 03:27
Zattu - you should be my coach. I curtailed my run as stomach ache and general fatigue got too much. Still did 11 though.
An hour later I was head over a sick bucket - in the grip of a sickness virus I got from Er Indoors.

I shouldn't have run, but (through will power and pepto Bismal) I am currently able to sit up in bed and feel very proud to be the 10th Best Runner in the History of the World ever. Possibly the greatest day of my life.

I can sort of see why some of you may be unconvinced by this magnificent achievement, but you can only beat what's there. No doubt you lot would deride David Weir because he only beat 6 people and they were all in bloody wheelchairs? My achievement is greater than his, but you won't find me boasting about it or demanding a peerage. (Who needs two anyway?)

Ps, don't tell anyone here, but I seem to be feeling very dehydrated at the moment and thinking it is a punishment from god for mouthing off earlier.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/02/2013 at 06:20
I hope you havn't forgotten about the yanks being several hours behind, Dids!
01/02/2013 at 07:40
CD - I know, but with all this talk of the power of the mind, I'm using mine to construct a powerful force field around the keyboards of my rivals. Try as they might they can't enter yesterday's runs.

And it looks like its working.

Just been sent Kudos from a bloke in Canada. Imagine that, thousands of miles away and a bloke I've never met thinks I'm a fantastic athlete. If he thinks like that then the whole of Canada probably does. So, I'm officially massive in Canada with a huge fan base. What a consolation for my bed ridden, painful bones.
01/02/2013 at 07:49

LD -- we are honoured, take a bow! You'll always have kudos from us.

Jan stats: 228M @ 7:14/M avg (not bad considering the ice), 10 rest days, 1 poor XC race, Xmas lard dented but not vanquished. 3 long runs: 20.1, 23.0, 20.4M. Endurance pretty good, speed poor.

I've booked myself into a rescheduled 15M race next week -- a PB if I stagger round, as I've not done 15 before.

01/02/2013 at 07:53

Love it LD though dare I say that I think you might need a little bit of training as well?  Although I did hear about a guy who got injured and just used a rowing machine up until a couple of weeks before the marathon. He sub-3'd it 

Great thing about running: you can do it for a few quid
Bad thing about running: the industry tries to fleece you for hundreds 

I love that fact that anywhere you are in the world you can step outside and just start running. Well, maybe not on the North Pole in winter, or up Everest. And actually I'd be a tad careful in Bangkok now I think about it.

01/02/2013 at 08:19
HR - I couldn't run in Canada as I'd be mobbed by my fans.
01/02/2013 at 08:22

Consecutive posts from ES and HR makes it look like ES has one massive foot.

ZaTTu - can't believe you said LD's competition is "silly", how very dare you! (You are right though, using logic.)

LD - unlucky not making the top 10, great effort though, a bit of a rest now and you'll be flying. Is there a new competition for Feb? Or for 2013 overall?

HR - a clubmate of mine was in Libya last week. He didn't venture outside of the place he was staying....

10M for me last night, clubmates were obviously feeling frisky so several miles were in the 6:20s and at least one at 6:0x (I stopped looking after a while!). Monthly totals are not very impressive (just under 150M running and 250M cycling), but they were hit by the taper/recovery from the ultra. Need to crank it up now!

01/02/2013 at 08:42

Still love reading this fred, even though I am a JirregularP.

Everything geared towards Amsterdam Marathon in October. Missing thae marathon and all this build-up to April.

Jan stats:

237 miles @ 8:03 for HRav 128 (69.2%)

3 rest days

No races (BM cancelled)

Thanks Dids et al for cheering me up.

01/02/2013 at 08:43

LD - Congratulations!  For what it's worth, you are now in the top 10 of my all-time heroes, displacing the permanently drunk Polish footballing wizard Dariusz Dzeickanowski and just one place behind hairy shoe-gazing bass strummer Lou Barlow.  Onward and upward sir!

Padams wrote (see)

Consecutive posts from ES and HR makes it look like ES has one massive foot.

Hahaha!  I'm waiting for the perfect moment to engineer a triptych of CharlieW, myself and Home Run.

01/02/2013 at 08:49

Brian - need cheering up lad?  What's up?

Jan stats:
346 miles @ 7:23 for HRav 136 (76%)
No rest days
Races: two parkruns (17.42, 19.40 in snow), one 5.5 mile road race (31.20), three marathons (3.06, 2:58, 2.56)
Long runs: 34, 26, 26, 26, 22

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 08:52
01/02/2013 at 08:57

LD - Well done, top mileage there. 

Njord - Thanks for posting just before me, I'm feeling slightly overshadowed! 

Jan Stats
Miles - 295
Rest Days - 9
Avg speed - 8.2mph
Races - 2 xc's

By comparison, Jan 2012 was 294m but with only 3 rest days. As I've only been runnning 5 days a week through Jan, stepping up into the 80's in Feb should be fairly straightforward.

01/02/2013 at 09:35

CW - Careful or you won't be able to describe yourself as 'low-mileage' any more

Agree with the general consensus about long runs and drinking having experienced a similar progression to Jools.  Mind you I did bonk once about 5 miles from the car and was really struggling to get back so carrying an emergency something seems sensible if you're pushing your boundaries.

I ended up with 108 miles @ 8:57 pace for January with 7 unplanned and undesired rest days.  It's precisely 108 miles more than I managed for 10 months of 2012 and the last few months of 2011 so I shouldn't complain.

The cold that I thought would disappear in a day or two turned out to be a properly nasty flu which currently has my wife laid out but thankfully barely touched the two boys.  I'm probably a week away from running again but I'm feeling normal again which is a massive improvement from where I was.

01/02/2013 at 09:58

Njord, you could cheer me up at Liversausage by letting me kick your arse?

TR
01/02/2013 at 10:37

Dids - get out in the car or train and get the miles in for Feb !

CW - Agree with Clearly, you're not low mileage anymore.

Had a proper count up, 158M for me with 16 non running days.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.