Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,521 to 93,540 of 107,066 messages
01/02/2013 at 23:35

Dids - re Abingdon. Depends on what you want from a race really. For me it has the feel of a very well organised club 10k or similar. Similar atmosphere really - pretty relaxed, pretty easy logistically etc. You could feasibly roll up to the venue 15 minutes before the off, chuck your bag in the tent and walk straight to the front of the starting pen. It's organised by a running club so all the marshals/helpers etc know what they're doing (most are runners themselves I think). I like the course (flat, with 2 x 9 mile loops plus a bit to and from the stadium). Sporadic support but very enthusiastic when it's there. Very very easy for any spectators/supporters you may have to follow the race and to get to see you at a variety of places. Hot showers after and a decent field at the sharp end so usually a group to run with (I ran 2'53'03 and finished 35th i think). I just like it cos it's small, relaxed and superbly organised. But if you really like your big city experiences then it's prob not for you.

02/02/2013 at 00:15

Simon - Seems to be a couple of us running Dublin on the last Monday of October.

MG3 - Coro's request for a typical training week is pertinent.  Your ability to comfortably run a 1:22:30 half on a long run makes me wonder if you don't do all your training at or about LT pace, i.e. do you vary your training paces/efforts much?

02/02/2013 at 03:45

Good luck to PP and other racers this weekend. 

Is that the first time the word triptych has been used on this forum? Love it!

Just entered for the Abingdon marathon  So if I make it that will be 18 months after being told by a surgeon never to run again. LS21 this isn't a gay lumberjack comment but it will be great to see you and reacquaint, though I expect to be seeing the back of your shirt (Ed. that does sound a bit dodgy) for the first minute and not again until I finish long after you.

Nice little run this morning in the heat along the beach to celebrate life and stick two fingers up at the naysayers. Not sure if I'm building a LD style Thai fan club, but they do seem to wave and smile at this odd Englishman.

Edited: 02/02/2013 at 03:55
02/02/2013 at 09:15

First mega sleep of 2013 - finally feel human again!  Just the small question of 11M including 6 @ HMP to do, then a rehearsal and a concert.

Marcus: rest assured the cross-examination is to try and help you.

TR
02/02/2013 at 11:44

HR - what are you doing in Thailand ? what heppened to the teaching and writing ?

Jools - how long is a mega sleep ? you sleep loads normally.

2hrs on the turbo. Hope to bag another longish run tomorrow morning.

02/02/2013 at 12:13

I only normally get 7or 8 hours a night, TR - about average!  A mega sleep is 9 hours and the extra hour makes all the difference

Moving on, tempo runs alone on tired legs are never great, are they?  11M incl. what was supposed to be 6 @ HMP, but seeing as the fastest mile was 6.37m/m and the slowest was 6.48m/m (!) I think it was really closer to MP.  Breathing was fine, but the legs just didn't want to know...

02/02/2013 at 12:59

Hi TR thanks for asking. I'm teaching at Roehampton Uni but taking my own research sabbatical to finish my second book - so the writing's the big thing for me. It's with my Agent at mo' so will be returning soon to the UK hopefully to meet publishers. I've also used the time here to toy with ideas for book 3. End of November I was fed up with not being able to finish No.2 and just decided to come out here and crack it, and have some fun same time Great country. Mad but great!

(edit book 2's a crime thriller)

Edited: 02/02/2013 at 13:00
02/02/2013 at 13:08

Jools - A few MP miles in the bank is no bad thing.  Good effort.

TR - Nice. I intend transferring from the exercise bike to the turbo over the next week or two, to start getting used to my TT position for the duathlon.  Living room fan at the ready!

I changed my bed-time not too long ago in a deliberate attempt to get more sleep in. Usually 8.5 hrs or so on a good night these days.  Impossible to say whether it's had much positive effect, other than my sleeping patterns are very regular and I rarely feel to drowsy during the day (save for post-lunch on a 20 mile Sunday!)  Took it pretty easy on the ales and got a solid 8.5 - 9 hrs in last night, with a 4 mile jog this morning, so no excuses for not being fresh tomorrow.

02/02/2013 at 13:26
Jools - good effort there, especially on your own and 6M hmp is a very tough run anyway.

Speaking of which, if Marcus can run 1.22 HMs comfortably in training then he has some potential. Why not try a parkrun to test your shorter distance speed.

Nice to hear HR is enjoying himself in Thailand.

TR - more good turboing there.

Coro - thanks.

11 and a bit with a parkrun in for me this morning, had 16.47 on the watch which is a PB so pleased with that, of to meet my new nephew now then rugby and a long one tomorrow.
02/02/2013 at 15:27

TR - Nice turboing.

Jools - seems like a decent work out all things considered

PP - good luck tomorrow, kick it hard e.t.c

HR - sounds like a lovely run

370 miles for the month, finished off with a decent track session on thursday, then 8 miles at 5.26's this morning

02/02/2013 at 15:31
Home Run - did your first book make it to a TV series? (May be getting wires crossed). What was it called?
A.W
02/02/2013 at 15:36
Nice PB at the parkrun LJ.

Everyone running well and putting big numbers on the board as normal on here!

I had the Run Eton 10k today, was 50/50 if I was going to run as my foot has been playing up with tendonitis for the last couple of weeks. Woke up and my foot was feeling alright so thought I'd give it a whirl!

It was pretty windy and being around a rowing lake was open to the elements, so had 2 laps, one way getting battered into wind, the other with the wind behind! I decided to work hard on the back wind leg and try and hang on in to wind.

The start to 2k was with the wind so settled into a good pace straight away running with the lead lady, battled back into wind and reached the half way point in about 18.15, a bit too quick!! I put in a big effort from 5-7k to use the wind as I knew it was going to be a brutal last 2k into wind.

Managed to push hard on the last 1k, and over the moon to have finished in 36.58 for 2nd place. A big PB by 59 seconds, chuffed to bits!

Good luck to all others racing this weekend.
A.W
02/02/2013 at 16:23

LD Thanks. It's The Boy in the River (Pan Macmillan). Made it into the Sunday Times top ten for a while. Your wires are good in that they're planning to turn it into a 3-part TV prime time drama but many a slip 'twixt cup and lip and all that - will believe it when I see it frankly. Had my fingers burnt once too often.

Great run AW. A 1 min pb: great result.

TR
02/02/2013 at 17:13

Jool s- 9 hrs, I thought you were going to say about 12.

HR - I thought writers had to go to bleak places to get inspiration, not Thailand.

PP - not sure about turboing in the living room, but probably better than freezing and steaming at the same time like i do in the garage. Noticed today that I was putting up steam that was condensing on my metal pull up bar hanging from the rafters. I suggest you get some sort of waterproof mat to put on the floor. 

well done on the big miles there SL, good pace from LJ and AW too, sub 37 is very sub3 worthy.

Dids - have you got the pre long run supplements chilling ? I have some Fursty Ferret and then a few cold lagers planned, got to make sure that I do a long run slightly de-hydrated !

Edited: 02/02/2013 at 17:14
02/02/2013 at 17:28

TR - I'd love to have a garage to turbo in but only rich people have garages in Blackheath!  I did a fair bit of turboing indoors before the op and it wasn't too bad.  Massive towel draped over the handlebars and top tube and turn the heating off for a bit.

A.W - cracking PB!  Was that up and down Dorney Lake?  I've done a windy duathlon there and although it's pancake flat I don't think I'll be rushing back.

A.W
02/02/2013 at 17:32

PP - Yes, up and down Dorney Lake twice! Very windy one way, nice back wind the other!

A.W
02/02/2013 at 17:49

Well done, AW - very encouraging to take 1 min off your 10k time.  Should mean a nice big improvement in the marathon time!

02/02/2013 at 18:13

Great effort AW. The idea of racing anything less than a HM send shivers down my spine. I find the shorter stuff brutal. 

Edited: 02/02/2013 at 18:13
02/02/2013 at 18:13
TR - against my better judgement I partook of the supplements in the Dog and Partridge. Two halves of Guinness were all I dared. Feeling loads better and tempted to do the Alsager 5 tomorrow.

Ended up watching rugby, which I despise. However, much to my annoyance I actually enjoyed it. I think I learnt to love shit sports during the Olympics.
02/02/2013 at 18:54
Blummin Eck HR, that book and the story behind it is incredible. Hope it does make it to the telly.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.