Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,541 to 93,560 of 108,537 messages
03/02/2013 at 04:22

Some great training going on, post Christmas blues seem to be chased away.

Got slightly put off rugby when a friend of mine at school went in for a tackle next to me and was paralysed from the neck down. But I guess injuries happen in everything. Usually enjoy the Six Nations though. Something about the time of year.

Longer run today. Beaches, monkeys and hills. Was tough in the heat but great.

TR does a treehouse overlooking the sea count?! I think I've substituted visible wilderness with chaos in my personal life Seems to help with the writing though I think! 

LD  just saw your kind comment: thank you! Here's hoping. We have the lead actor in place, but who knows?! Got references to marathon training and running into the book!

Sleep (PP et al) interesting. I agree I do think it matters actually. Found when teaching and running on about 5 or 6 hrs sleep that it started to show esp by end of term, which made London tough time of year for me.

Have that post-long run glow at the moment. It feels so great to be back at it.

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 07:20
03/02/2013 at 10:41

HR.. good to see you back enjoying the runs after that doom laden diagnosis!

LJ.. congrats on the 5k PB, nice work in the middle of a longer run.

A hearty well done to A W too, 59 secs off a PB at that level is impressive.

Lots of miles logged by SL, good stuff.

Nice long runs from Padams, Dachs & ES.

Hope the very long run goes well Charlie.

TR.. luckily I have a big spare room upstairs for the treadie & a telly so I do get the Susannah Reid experience!  In addition to that two of the Yorkshire weather girls up here are very popular with the chaps!

Got an invitation yesterday to join three lycra clad lesser spotteds on a long run this morning, all younger & prettier than I am.  The 07:30 start was a bit early o'clock for me but I was of course too polite to refuse.  Anyway 15.2m done with charming company taking in a section of Bramham Park, home & hosed before 10am.  

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 10:43
03/02/2013 at 11:11

Wardi - nice one with the 15. Great win for the Mags yesterday

Solid long runs form Dachs, Padams, ES

20m for me this morning, 7.47 avg. Aimed to run this slowly as I haven't run a long run since mid November (and I remember Gobi's advice on here a while back about running long runs slowly). Maybe a bit fool hardy to run this far after injury but I stayed relatively near the folks house in London so I could cut it short if need be. Aerobic system is still in decent shape, legs need to catch up though and are fairly mashed but I enjoyed that.

03/02/2013 at 11:41

TR: don't know how you keep getting back on that turbo, just thinking about it depresses me; suppose I only relate it to injury. Mine's in the garage too and would probably be more enjoyable if I could watch the telly at the same time.

Notice some talk of Abo. As I mentioned to LS21 on FB, I'm booked up to do the Bournemouth Marathon in October but as I jumped the gun a bit with my £50 I'm beginning to worry as the course isn't out until this month and there's talk of running on both piers; sounds like a gimmick to attract charity runners and doesn't bode well for pb hunting club runners....we'll see. Anyway, think I'm going to add my name to the Abo waiting list just incase.

Getting fitter now with 84 miles this week with 22 this morning run progressively finishing with 7 @  just over 6.30m/m ave 6.57 overall.

HR: I'm picturing you as some Lord Jim/Forest Gump character with the locals trailing you up the beach on your long run ;0)

03/02/2013 at 11:43

Good long runs ES, RS78 and Wardi (you old goat!).

I took in something possibly lesser spotted, but not in lycra -- in my long run today I saw a lot of rabbits, a hare, a heron, and two different barn owls. Nature-keen offspring very jealous. I started with 12x Castle Hill (as my race next week has some hills) before heading out to the fens, mainly road but a few boggy bits; grand total 28M @ 7:26/M average, marathon split at 3hr15. It was mainly reasonably comfortable, but then I wasn't pushing the pace. And I felt my form falling to bits in the final bonus couple of miles. Ideally I'd like to be able to find running 26M totally humdrum, just as one does for 13, so I might do some more of these when not doing higher-quality sessions.

Dachs -- the increased mileage the previous week was because of ice keeping me off my bike, so I ran-commuted every day. Which proved I could. Last week I was partly motivated by my weight still showing some post-Xmas lard; I now knew I could run every day; and also higher mileage is something I've never really given a fair chance, so I was just experimenting really. But with a race next weekend, I'll try some short fast runs for the rest of this week for variety, in the hope of getting some much-needed speed back.

Edit (x-post): great quality long one there, Mr B.

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 12:01
03/02/2013 at 12:17
AW - great result in your 10k, that's a lot of time to take off in one go. If you do another closer to the marathon I'm sure you'll get another chunk off too.

Good long runs from Charlie, Wardi, HR, Padams, ES, RS, Dachs and MrB.

20M for me this morning after a late night and not much sleep. No monkeys or barn owls, most exciting bit of nature was a good close view of a buzzard. Only a small window today as had to be ready for a christening so ended up with overall pace of 6 something which is must faster than I normally run.
TR
03/02/2013 at 13:34

Padams - I wouldnt get away with turbo in the living room ealry doors, the whirrr of the turbo would wake up the whole house. The new place will allow you to join me for some early morning turbo sessions.

Wardi - doubly jealous now ! of your fillies and Susannah !

MrB - trouble is you associate turbo with injury. Is abo sold out already ?

well done on the long runs folks, I set out to do 4M loops (although really its 2M one way and then 2M back again), as per last week my knee was aching enough to make me wonder if I should bin it, but just like last week I pushed the pace and it felt easier, although after 16M I had to slow down a bit as I was flagging, managed another loop for the full 20M. I'd say more like being shelled than shelling peas. I need to up the distances of some of my other runs now, which were all 5 to 7M this week.

jealous of CW seeing owls, but he can keep the 26M !

TR
03/02/2013 at 13:37

PP should have had pretty decent conditions, there was a bit of a Westerly breeze but Chichester is mainly a North and South race. I bet Stevie G claims there was a gale blowing though !

03/02/2013 at 14:15
CW- you make my 22 seem short in comparison.
Tr - nice to see a 20 in the bank.
Wardi - sounds like some smashing company
TR
03/02/2013 at 14:18

SL - indeed, first one since last VLM. I bet your 22 was easier than my 20 ! I need my knee to toughen up though so I dont have to keep upping the pace, I'm not fit enough to run 20s fast and its a waste of matches.

looks like it was the usual smackdown at Chichester with the top 20 inside 32min !

03/02/2013 at 15:31

Off the sick bed and within 24 hours racing the Alsager 5 miler. Looked like a major race with lots of runners from far afield. I won the V50 category and carried off £65 worth of Helly Hansen gear (well, that's what my £30 voucher got me from the bloke with the stall who was trying to pack up and bugger off home).

Really underwhelmed by the V50 category. Hollow victories at the moment I feel. 29 mins 14 secs was a bit disappointing on a totally flat course - although my Garmin and Er Indoors iPhone both showed 5.1 miles .... that's a big percentage over isn't it? I'd have been happier 50 secs faster. 

03/02/2013 at 16:23
Dids - That does sound a bit harsh on the distance, makes the sub 24 1st and 2nd place even more impressive though!

Mr B - Nice 22. Don't think the pier running will do you much harm in terms of time, I'd be more concerned with the hills
03/02/2013 at 16:25

Several lesser-spotted in lycra on yesterday's LR - it seems Saturday is more popular than Sunday. I did see a black squirrel as well - famous in Hertfordshire you know!

Boarding a flight to New York now - business, not pleasure. The hotel gym treadmill will be my friend next week.

03/02/2013 at 16:28

Yeah - got to accept Garmins are no real guide. I'm used to seeing about 26.4 for a marathon. I think.

03/02/2013 at 16:34
Having said that Dids, was just checking the stats for the previous two times I have done a half marathon I raced today and all 3 (including today's) came in at 13.13 using three different watches, I was reasonably impressed.
03/02/2013 at 18:00

TR - It wasn't blowing a gale but it was still a stiff enough breeze, and the odd 10 seconds could've come in quite handy...

Ran the whole way with a club mate Stuart (pb 33:12 Chichester last year) and we went through half way in 16:32, which seemed textbook for sub-33 given the uphill start and downhill finish, but the wind did have an effect on a few splits and despite a 3:05 last km, finished in 33:07.  Still, it's a PB and was worth 1st V40 (£90 worth of running products).  Also, speaking of lesser-spotteds, I beat Steph Twell.  A good day's work. 

03/02/2013 at 18:31
Well done PP - that's the north-south divide for you. ??90 worth.

Were you invited to feast on the after race buffet as a result? The one up here was laid on for certain people (some inter club event runners I think), but the organiser said I could fill my boots as part of my prize.

Felt like a caveman hunter gatherer as I brought back some scotch eggs and mini pork pies to a hungry Lady Dids.
03/02/2013 at 19:55

Excellent work Dids!  I bloody love scotch eggs.  I think this was an unusually generous voucher pot, it's a well supported race.  It'll be back to covering race entry and travel costs next time I reckon.

TR
03/02/2013 at 20:08

Well done PP I saw your time and posn, big race to top a V40 podium in too. I thought you might feel the breeze a bit at the top of the course (where the short climb at Lavant is) before you run back down the long straight to the finish. Well done again. Its a deceptively fast course that one.

03/02/2013 at 20:16

Bon soir all,

Blimey some long runs posted today. I'll probably miss someone off so apologies if I do, but top stuff from HR, wardi, RS, Mr B, CW, TR, LJ and SL.

Top pot-hunting from LD and PP too - cracking result Phil!

I also had a little pootle today at the Dewsbury 10k. Quite a quick course this - slight climb for 3 miles, round a cone and back to the start. Usually a decent field too. So surprisingly I didn't win, but I had a pretty good run to finish in 36'58. My target was to try and break 37'00 if I could, which I did by miles as you can see. So pleased - was a bit gusty in places. And for someone with my rippling torso and considerable physique I reckon it cost me about 6'59 or so.

A quick perusal of the results saw one marmite having a good run. Although he got chicked!! Hee-hee!!

Decent runs by one or two other folk off here too.

Pleased with how things are shaping up for me at the mo. I've had a strange old 18 months or so, but things finally starting to head in the right direction I think. About bloody time too!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.