Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,561 to 93,580 of 108,395 messages
03/02/2013 at 20:27

some excellent running and a big cheer for PP and Dids on  great victories

The 5 miler was live on  the Quebec Sports channel.

Probably.

This morning's long run took was the longest since VLM11 and took me to 69M for the week - a record by 9M.  I did a new route, (unfuelled following this week's thread discussion) a hilly 19.2M today in 2:33 - the last 6 miles were the flattest and pleased to average those at 7:34, best of all felt I could've carried on for several more miles. At one point I parted a herd of red deer who kindly waited either side of the road for me to run through! Legs feel fine and no issues with the achilles/TFL injuries that I'm slowly clearing. All in all a great run, can't wait for the next one. "Pah!" to water, lucozade and bananas.

Should see if I can work out a flatter 21M route for next weekend, don't like repeats though  which makes it tricky.

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 20:31
03/02/2013 at 20:34

Nice one LS21, comfortably sub 37!  Chuffed things are looking up for you.

Bravo PP, a chunky PB, 1st V40 and & you're getting perilously close to the pointy end!

Nice work & picnic hunting Dids.  Not sure about all the Helly Hansen stuff though, surely spring is just around the corner!

Charlie.. cripes that's a proper long run, almost double my modest effort!  Good 20+ efforts too from Mr Boat, TR, SL & LJ.

TR.. one of our weather girls.

RS.. indeed, cracking game yesterday.  However I must admit to feeling very sad when I saw the latest picture of Gazza, been on the bottle again it seems.  He's now 45 and looks about 70.

03/02/2013 at 21:00

PS anyone know of a site for measuring routes that shows total elevation? Just found one called gmap-pedometer.com- it shows a good elevation profile of the route, but doesn't seem to tell me total ascent/descent which'd be good for planning the next one.

03/02/2013 at 21:03

LS21, PP and LD - some great racing, PBs and age award goodies

Wardi - that pic of Gazza is so sad

03/02/2013 at 21:17

Simonx9 - indeed, there were a load of Canadian journalists pestering me for "how does it feel to be the champion" quotes. I decided to do a Joey Barton and talk in pigeon American/French. Got an extra 10,000 twitter fans when I got home so assume that they loved it. Actually, I think they love everything I do. But I love them too.

Gazza pic - that was Lady D after the scotch eggs that was.

Wardi - I think the Helly Hansen was made by a trainee on their very first day, or it was designed for Popeye. The sleeves are massively wide - not like the HH I got a year ago. Not complaining because it's the glory of winning and the pork pies and scotch eggs that counts.

03/02/2013 at 21:18

Wow, there's been some good 10k results today: PP, LS21 and Dids.  Congrats to all of you.  Should be a very good autumn from a marathon perspective for both PP and LS21!

Also nice LSRs going on.

18M for me this evening after my rehearsal; relieved that the pace (7.49m/m) wasmuch better than last week's 21 miler (8.21m/m!) and that perhaps yesterday's sluggish tempo run was a bit of a blip.

TR
03/02/2013 at 21:34

well played LS21, always good to bag a target

Wardi - she's pretty, but are you sure those are real pictures, one of them shows temperatures in the mid 20s up North ?

Jools - please dont chick me on VLM day

03/02/2013 at 21:38

Jools - I'm hoping for a similar thing next weekend with another 20. I didn't really suffer today but it's never going to be "easy" after a break. What are you aiming to run most of your 20s at or whats the fastest you'll go to? I'm definitely going to try and run a good number of them slowly remembering Gobi's advice.

LS21 - nice 10k

PP - cracking time

Wardi - tragic isn't it. He just seems to lurch from one crisis to the next and you wouldn't be at all surprised to pick up tomorrows paper to find he's either committed suicide of died of liver failure. Awful

Hot bath/roller to ease the legs and probably a swim tomorrow for more recovery. Nice to get a solid run under the belt whatever happens from here.

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 21:39
03/02/2013 at 21:46

Nice one PP, looking at the rsults you may have been running with a couple of my local rivals, George Miller (Poole Runners - blue/white vest tall chap) and Nathan Scrubb.

Good to hear things on the up LS21 

This weeks summary here

Rambled on a bit this week so the short version if you can't be arsed.......

113 miles (6:47m/m average) including a couple of sessions ( 10x 3min and 5 miles tempo) and a hilly half marathon today in 70:03

I've got a cut back week next week so will be dropping to around 80 miles with only a couple of small doubles - should freshen things up a bit both phyically and mentally!

03/02/2013 at 21:48

Anyone done the Istanbul marathon? Think I'm just about to book it. (Sorry Abingdon, but you came close)

03/02/2013 at 22:04

TR: I don't think I'll be troubling the low 2.50s, so unless you have a bad day at the office, there's no risk of me chicking you!

RS: I'm doing some on the flat where I'd like to average 7.40-7.50 so that it's still relatively slow (c PMP + 60s); if it's a hilly, off-road route then I don't really care about the pace.

TR
03/02/2013 at 22:07

10x 3mins, thats what the top runners do !

Jools - I dont think I will be either this time. I'd snap your arm off for a 2:55 at the mo, or ideally a 2:54:59 (I have 2 x 2:55s).

03/02/2013 at 22:35

TR - You still have plenty of time to get into decent shape though? I can bag another 7 20+ but that would mean running one every weekend between now and VLM save for the Bath half so I doubt that'll happen. Having run one in Nov and bagged one today I'd settle for another 6 and plenty of quality over relentless miles. No idea what what will equate to target wise though.

04/02/2013 at 03:27

PP Fantastic win and time. It's inspirational to see you back in the game, and how, after your long injury. Top stuff. Hope you still blow the froth off a beer or two these days?

LD even if you are under-whelmed the rest of us are impressed. Top work! Can't answer about Istanbul but it sounds fun. 

LS21 great work from you too - you have a knack of breaking your targets which shows great mental strength. 

Some excellent long runs. Love the idea of parting red deer (Simonx9) and owls were mentioned previously. One of the great things about running. 

Mr Boat haha nice image!!

Watched Spurs win last night in a bar at Lonely Beach on Koh Chang island with a vodka bucket, live reggae band, and a v nice couple from France who run an Italian restaurant. Gareth Bale is mesmerising at the moment: his last two goals have been fantastic. 

Edited: 04/02/2013 at 06:04
04/02/2013 at 07:50

PP - great stuff, particularly for not beating my PB, thanks!

LD - prizes in the South are generally no better in my experience. I won a HM with over 1,000 runners in November and got no prize at all.

Marigold - nice week, a HM in that time at the end of it is impressive. Could you not find the extra 4s though?!

CW - insane long run!

Just under 3 hours on the bike for me yesterday (had to cut short to get back for more house viewings....). Cold and windy - can't wait for it to warm up a bit!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
04/02/2013 at 08:51

Nice wins there PP & Dids.  Just put the prizes in the thread Xmas party pot.

After my long run Friday and a slow but first across the line parkrun Saturday, yesterday was going to be a swim first thing and a few hours cycling.  I 've obviously caught whatever Dids had as after a promising start the ride deteriorated after halfway and an hour after I got back I was laid up in bed.  Probably a good day for a rest day today.

04/02/2013 at 08:55

Simonx9 - Bikehike certainly does this, and much more. Superb mapping website which also has an adjacent OS map window (handy for off-road paths) and the National Cycle Network (handy for identifying quiet country lanes).  You can also download your plotted route directly to certain Garmin watches (205, 305, 310XT and maybe a couple of others) if you want navigation *during* your run.

04/02/2013 at 09:40

Morning all, some nice quality running going on this weekend, top marks to PP for the PB/Age group win at Chichester, LD for the AG win, AW for the 10k PB and LS for the  sub37 10k (beaten by Marathon Talk's Tom Williams by a second, might get a mention on this weeks podcast)

Marigold Tidy half  Looking windy for tomorrow night, in two minds about doing the session given Wokingham is on Sunday, what do you think (yes/no/yes but easier on effort)?

Good LRing from Jools, RS, MrBoat, CW(LLR!), LJ, TR and Sx9 (feels good when you run long without fuel I find)

Njord - nice website, thanks for the tip off 

Ran 22.5M on Saturday consisting of 2.5M to the station (train to Boscombe, running on the prom) and then 20M inc 3x3ml HMP with 6min jogs inbetween. Was targeting 75min half pace (5:45) for the 3M reps, but can up a bit short with 5:48/5:53/5:51, which neatly averages out to about existing half pace. Generally happy with the run, but think I might have been a bit ambitous with the pace target (or tired see below).

Found it hard to keep the pace up, definitely not feeling 100% and think the heart rate data shows it as the average was lower on successful reps (170/168/166bpm) despite increasing effort levels. I think this indicates I was pretty fatigued and hence my HR was dropping instead of rising on successive reps, can anyone confirm/comment on this please? (HR chart is below). Glad it's a cut-back week now in the lead up to Wokingham!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/637980/gallery/2013-02-04_093216.jpg?width=350

04/02/2013 at 09:45

Cheers all.  I was wise enough to take a screen-shot of my current V40 10k ranking (2nd) before that plummets over the coming weeks.

Some great LRs going on, especially CW's Countryfile outing.  Toying with the idea of going full distance myself since I've now been within 2.18 miles of it, but we'll see.

LS21 - Good work fella!  Great to see you back into the "short" stuff.

Marigold - a very nice understated HM win there.  Enjoy cut-back week!

HR - Vodka buckets?  Everything in moderation, eh?    Yes I still enjoy the odd brew.  I'd already polished off a pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord by the time the (possibly hard-of-hearing) mayor was giving out the prizes yesterday.  "Well done Bill!" 

04/02/2013 at 10:11

Some awesome racing and training going on as always. Special mentions to LS21 and PP after tough times, personal and injury respectively. Top stuff to fellow dodger Dids in bagging top banana in the 5miler. Life in the old dog yet. TR, Keep the pecker up. I'm counting on you kitchen sink-wise.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.