Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,601 to 93,620 of 109,183 messages
04/02/2013 at 22:57
What about supporting local public sector workers?
05/02/2013 at 04:53

LS21 haha it did cross my mind!! But at least the man is reading it, and libraries are good. Can't really say hope you 'enjoy' it LD because that doesn't seem quite appropriate but hope you find it a reasonable read.

Flying back to UK tomorrow. Might be mad but there's some work to be done and I've outstayed my welcome here now. I'm really looking forward to running in English conditions actually. Wonder how long that will last.

05/02/2013 at 08:06

HR - I'd give it one run until you want to be back in Thailand! (Actually, probably more like half a run.)

Swam last night for the first time since November - I was pitiful. Not sure I would even make it round an IM swim at the moment, let alone get under the hour. At least it's given me a bit of motivation! 4M easy run as well, on the way to the pool.

05/02/2013 at 09:27

PP & Marigold - Thanks for the advice/diagnosis, think I'll do 2 of the 3 intervals tonight and cruise the third.

TR - Good to hear you're getting back into the swing of things

TR
05/02/2013 at 10:15

Al_P - cheers

Padams - how about a swimming race before you get too good again ?

Paid for the efforts of the last few days with a weary turbo this morning, felt pretty ropey so just made it a steady 60mins. Cricket club meeting last night and I volountered to be U13 manager (both teams) so I can look after the interests of all of my last yrs U11s, U13 matches are Sunday mornings though so that will mean a change of training times and only the odd race.

05/02/2013 at 12:47

LD Are you from Yorkshire originally. So glad we kicked you Mancs out of Lancashire, you gave us a bad name.

HR - I just purchased the Kindle version, I am on holiday in a couple of weeks and will look forward to reading this.

Great running/racing from everyone again, Too many to list but some great PBs and wins!

Talking of running faster. I have a 10 miler tonight with 5 miles at HM pace. Starting to test if my goal for sub 02:50 is reallistic, so nervious about the session tonight. Just started snowing in my lunch break(typical), my speed session could end up being another slow slog looking like the michelin man!

05/02/2013 at 13:15

Very decent of you Tim! Thank you. I'm very touched by you sub-3ers reading my book. If any of you want signed copies (of the paperback) I could sort some after Abingdon or London - I'll almost certainly go to shout support at VLM and in the pub after if minds and bodies aren't elsewhere!

Boiling today here. GF says it's going to be a shock to my system, as per Padams your comment.

Going to try and kick my body into English time by staying up tonight and running at 4 am before I hope to sleep on the 6am bus to Bangkok airport. That's the theory.

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 13:16
05/02/2013 at 13:30

Timothy - that's a bit harsh. I'm actually from Accrington (who? ....) but grew up in Leeds. Sadly I think that there's a bit of a northern north/south divide going on these days, with a line drawn just to the north of the centre of Manchester. Anything to the south and into Cheshire is generally lively or well-healed, whilst the north and Lancashire is drab, poor and full of BNP and other nastiness. Lancs could have done with holding onto Manchester in my opinion, because even though Manchester is not all it's cracked up to be, without it it feels like a barren wasteland.

I can't stand that drive up the M66 to see my parents - dark satanic mills etc. Chilling.

I've never yet done a training tempo run which has ever felt as comfortable as a race. If you find it hard I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

05/02/2013 at 13:37

HR - I'm generally a slow and easily distracted reader, and fall asleep after a page or two. but I got through a good 20 pages of your book last night, and jolly good it is too. However, I did read an Amazon review (which are almostly universally 5* glowing) that complained that the proof reader was rubbish and that it said "of" instead of "off" a lot.

Really wish I'd not read that as consequentally I find myself constantly on the lookout for these and other minor blunders. (Not found any yet). It's a bit like watching Ben Hur and looking for Romans wearing wristwatches.

05/02/2013 at 13:57

LD that review about the proofing on 'of' / 'off' annoyed me and I did the normally unpardonable of replying to challenge him to cite me examples. I'm normally really careful and I am extremely surprised by his comments. My PhD contained two typos and that was without any proof readers. I'm wondering if something went awry at the type setting stage or in the kindle version but it's very peculiar. He hasn't actually responded to the challenge so I'm left wondering if it's untrue.

Hope you can put that behind you as the story, perhaps, takes hold. 

05/02/2013 at 14:03

oops - overtraining - slight tenderness on inside (and under) of knees - very slight (nothing most of the time) but warning sign so swam instead today as precaution, think I'll stick to recovery run tomorrow, then get back on schedule. Anyone had similar?

I've had ITBS twice before so relieved it isn't that (outside of knee). Was hard not to run regardless and I did waiver, but actually good to get in first swim since November.

05/02/2013 at 14:10

TR - I'll give you a virtual 1500m race at the weekend if you want!

HR - I find on the Kindle there are some funny typos that I assume are not in the hard copies, so it might be that rather than actual typos.

I love my Kindle, but the book I am currently reading (Life of Pi) highlighted the problem that you don't know how long it's going to be until you start reading. I haven't looked for it in the shops but it must be massive, or I've suddenly become really slow at reading!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
05/02/2013 at 14:11

I'm always wary of reviews on Amazon, tripadvisor and the like.  No way of knowing whether the good ones are by the author's mum, or if the bad ones have some other grudge to bear or are by competitors.

Unlike washing machine reviews on here, obviously, which are universally accepted as arbiters of good taste.

Back to running though.  Been a bit under the weather the last couple of days so just some nice easy running.  Lovely & fresh out today, even some sunshine.  Picked off a couple of strava CRs as well, which is always a bonus.

MtR
05/02/2013 at 14:19

Padams: Life of Pi isn't that long a book as I remember.

HR: I read your book on my Kindle when it came out - very good, only slightly spoiled by the digression into marathon running. 

Much like this thread really.

05/02/2013 at 14:25
Padams wrote (see)
I love my Kindle, but the book I am currently reading (Life of Pi) highlighted the problem that you don't know how long it's going to be until you start reading. I haven't looked for it in the shops but it must be massive, or I've suddenly become really slow at reading!

It's not very long.  It just seems like it because it runs out of things to say about a third of the way through.

05/02/2013 at 14:29

CD - there's a (once famous) restaurant in Newcastle called the Fisherman's Lodge which only has 5* or 1* reviews. It's pure Fawlty Towers. After the first hour there (in which we saw an argument with the owner/customers and piss poor service) I was ready to give it 1*, but the lunacy of the owner and some unexpectedly good food meant I gave them 5*s in the end. 

The owner replies furiously to the bad reviews and makes things far, far worse for himself. "The reason I set my dogs on you was....", "it was only the one ginger pube in your glass....", "it's not easy when you've had four chefs walk out in the last month...." etc.

Anyone reading Tripadvisor in advance would be baffled.

05/02/2013 at 14:46

There's definitely an art to interpreting online reviews.  (Although it's pretty much a given that you'll never hear about the 3-star consumers.)  Like reading race reviews; if the only bad thing that anyone can say about the Chichester 10k is that they're bored of getting mugs in their goodie bag, I'd say that's a ringing endorsement.  Sent off my voucher today for my next pair of Nike Zoom Elites.  (With enough left over for a pair of socks.)  Hurrah!

8 x mile on the track this evening. Will be a big volume week with a 13 mile MP run on Thursday as well.

TR
05/02/2013 at 14:57

Padams - luckily I dont swim at weekends - phew !

PP - nice one on the mile reps, two more and it'd be Crowie reps time (when my knee aches less I must do that again soon).

Also might borrow something from Pete Jacobs soon (he knows about running marathons on tired legs), he talks of doing strides towards the end of long runs as an alternative to progressive long runs. Seeing as my knee likes a change of pace, I might do some strides every mile of my next long run. Should help with the boredom factor too.

05/02/2013 at 14:57

15M for me at about 7.40m/m - bit of a guesstimate because Garmin had a mad patch on the out section of my out and back route and decided I ran the mile which included the Staple Hill tunnel in 6.07.  I'm sure that isn't the case.  I added an extra 0.25M on at the end and figure that probably corrected for the error, so the total run time of 1h55 turns the average pace from 7.34m/m (Garmin's maths) to about 7.40m/m.  Or something.

05/02/2013 at 15:02

TB - weather certainly is pretty wild up here isn't it, I got snowed on last night with a clubmate. XX at Wrekenton on sat will be interesting, probs a mud bath.

Jools - solid, you seem to have knocked out loads of miles already

6m last night, 7.59, legs weren't too bad after sunday's 20. Club tempo tonight, first time I've been in a good while so that'll be fun yet hard.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.