Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,621 to 93,640 of 108,509 messages
05/02/2013 at 15:03

PP - after the Leyland Half (January the 2nd, freezing day) a bloke complained there were only 2 water stops. Oh, and he wasn't even running in it.

MtR
05/02/2013 at 15:54

My best online critical comment about the Victoria Park course was the path was 'aggressively cambered'. It's about 15 feet wide, car-free with a camber of a few inches at the edges.

05/02/2013 at 16:26

Tmap/MtR - my reading pace must have decreased then! Mind you, I do only read it on my walk to work, whilst trying not to walk into trees/lampposts etc.

I'm actually quite enjoying it to be honest, although it does feel as though I must be approaching the end, yet I am only 60% into it.

A.W
05/02/2013 at 20:16

I usually take online reviews with a pinch of salt, its like film reviews, the amount of times I've loved a film that's been slated by the critics.

10 miles with 6 x mile reps for me done this afternoon, feeling pretty good about them, didn't feel like I was pushing hard but still ran slightly under my goal pace.

I'm going to be running Wokingham too this weekend, looking forward to it.

A.W
05/02/2013 at 20:28

I slayed the CBA demons tonight. Realising I had limited opportunities to run I forced myself out the door to realise that my legs felt quite strong (as they should after a cutback week) and I was well fuelled. 16.5m bagged. Pace was nowt special and largely depended on which way the wind was blowing. 2 x 10m tomorrow.

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 20:29
TR
05/02/2013 at 20:30

good miles there Jools

Andy D - good man, a St Annes sand blasting ? 16.5 is good stuff, but to back it up with 2 x 10M is proper Jonesy marathon training. He used to back up his Sunday long run with a Monday 2x10.

05/02/2013 at 20:33

No sand blasting tonight fortunately. I think there was enough rain during the day to stick it down. Also nice that in the last week the wind has reverted to it's usual direction, with a tailwind on the way home.

05/02/2013 at 21:11

Al_P: no worries, I took a punt on the size 9.5 because I had a sudden thought that maybe picking over-roomy shoes has contributed to my blister woes. I sent them back in the hope of getting a 10, but only if they were still at the sale price (which they're not on the Milletts website now). Should have got into gear earlier really instead of prevaricating through most of the sale period.

And I saw my first little egret a couple of weeks ago -- had to look it up on the RSPB website. And cormorants are now ten-a-penny where there were none, while all the herons have disappeared.

LJ: not sure about my mileage. This week is a bit messed up with work trips but that will make for a taper for my weekend race. After that, I'll see what I fancy doing. If the niggles stay off, I may try and keep the miles up, yes.

Marigold: I'm all for pitiful efforts in the taper! Short but sharp is my taper mantra. I get down to 1x400m a day or two before.... but then tend to be guilty of running them flat out to boost self confidence, but risking damage.

05/02/2013 at 21:43

Nice midweek miles Jools & Andy D - and good luck with the double 10 tomorrow.

A W.. nice session there.  If I'm doing 1m or 2k reps I tend to find I end up with around 10m after the 2-3m warm up plus the reps.

PP.. 8 is a lot of mile reps, hope they went well.

4.2m on the treadie first thing (snowing outside!).  6.5m with the club tonight inc 6 x 800m around an undulating housing estate.

TR.. plenty of fillies up here - club nights are about 70% girls at the moment! 

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 21:46
06/02/2013 at 08:06

Some good training yesterday, particularly 16.5M by Andy D, 800m reps by Wardi and mile reps by AW.

10M inc. 8x800m(ish) (90s recovery) on the road for me, the first one was 2:30 then they got a bit quicker, with the last few at about 2:24. First bit of speedwork in a while, but there was a nice little group of us at that pace which made it feel a bit more comfortable.

I suspected it was slightly short of 800m, but it was pretty much bang on having just measured it online, so I'm pleased with that pace.

06/02/2013 at 09:28

Good pace Padams.  

AW - another good session.

Wardi - good double with sone speed.

Charlie - hope the race goes well and you never know, the consistency could help with the niggles too.  

Jools and Andy D - nice long runs.

Marigold, Al - this is how you taper:

Sunday - 18.5M @ 5.42 pace
Monday - 14.5M @ 5.30 
Tuesday - 10M @ 5.20 and 12.5M @ 5.30
Wednesday - 10M @ 5.10 and 12.5M @ 5.30
Thursday - 8M @ 5.15 and 10.5M @ 5.24
Friday - Missed, tried to run at 9pm but too tired and stomach ached.
Saturday - 6M @ 5.12

Sunday - Marathon 2.17.39, new world record
Monday - recovery run 10.5M @ 5.50 pace 

This was Jim Peters' training, copied from an article by Ben Fish on eightlane.  Oh, and his daughter was born the week before this and he was feeling "off colour".  Makes us look like a load of nancies...

Speaking of which, I did 5M and 11M yesterday, final 3M of the 11 at 5.40 pace and I thought that was quite hard.

06/02/2013 at 09:41

Recovery run at 5'50 pace! Hahahahaha!! I can't do mile reps in that. Mind you, yellow card for him wussing out on his Friday night effort - shows a lack of commitment that.

06/02/2013 at 09:49

Andy D - should be some good tired-legs training going on there.

Jools - nice mid-week mileage again.

Padams - Nice pace!

Wardi - Mile reps were spot-on, i.e. pretty comfortable, as I'm saving myself for Thursday's MP run.  Managed to get them all 5:26 - 5:29 at what felt like sustainable HM pace at a guess.  We'll see - Brighton HM coming up in 11 days.

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 09:50
06/02/2013 at 10:38

Great post LJ. Jim Peters was tough as nails! Congrats on the pb.

Likewise, congrats to PP (very impressed!) and AW on their respective 10k pbs.

LD - just before the 5m you were on your sickbed. I think that removes the right to be disappointed with the result. Well done in the circumstances.

Nice 10k LS21.

And a nice training HM from Marigold!

Nice long runs from many.

I'm about to become a coachee again! As Mrs TT should be qualified (result of her final exam on Friday, and I'm confident, even if she's not), and therefore not studying, and I am easily distracted and tinker a lot if training myself it seems a good fit. Especially as I have never been as fit as I was when I was being coached before (partially because my training has been very intermittent over the last few years). What it means for the smaller races I have entered I'm not sure yet (some of them may be used as reduced efforts, or binned altogether), but I'm looking forward to it

06/02/2013 at 11:23

PP - Crikey you're flying at the moment.

Padams - nice 800m reps.

AW - Sounds like a decent 10miler with reps.

TT - who will be coaching you?  I have a lunatic South African (gold medal at Comrades) who gives me a bit of advice.

Some good midweek mileage from Andy D and Jools, speaking of which I did 15+5 yesterday, and 10+5 today, legs are feeling o.k, not sure how track will go tomorrow though.!!

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 11:24
TR
06/02/2013 at 11:25

always knew tapering was over-rated, CW should take note of that taper ! ha ha.

PP - excellent stuff, when I did those reps I wondered if they should be ~HMP pace, so it looks like you proved that theory right. Bombing along nicely at the mo.

horrible cold and wet commute 7M bagged earlier

06/02/2013 at 11:30

Currently reading Seb Coe's autobiography.

It's good stuff and he writes with real clarity and delightfully frank honesty.  The race descriptions are a little bit flat - maybe his unflappable confidence (except in the Moscow 800) make his races seem just a bit bland.  There are some odd errors in it too - Chamonix is in France, not Switzerland, and there's a picture of "Cuban giant" Joaquim Cruz, who is not only Brazilian he's even wearing a Brasil top in the picture.  It's interesting to see glimpses of his training though - it's curious how he claims he was doing 20 mile weeks, yet his staple routine was two hour-long sessions each day with his dad; presume he only counts the flat-out bit as mileage, ignoring the 60 or so of warm-up and recovery.  And you can't help admiring his wonderfully determined, skillful and bloody-minded dad Peter.

Struggling in the second full week of proper training, me - just 4 miles yesterday and very little left in the tank.  Heartburn problems back with a vengeance too - can only really run first thing in the morning, but on some new medicine and due for a camera inspection down there next month.

06/02/2013 at 11:42

Ha!  That is a taper!  (Although it has to be said that - on an admittedly very different end of the spectrum - my 20M pb of bang on 7m/m came after no taper whatsoever, including 10M on the Friday evening, so perhaps there is only so much magic in the tapir!).

5M into work for me this morning after a pretty brutal sports massage last night.  Legs felt surprisingly ok, but the pace was gentle.  I also discovered that if I let the two zips on my running rucksack meet at the top, they gradually work undone.  Thankfully I noticed before my underwear fell out of my rucksack...

Tmap: I wonder if the hour includes the standing around.  In The Perfect Mile one of Seb's sessions is described and it was something like what I would consider a few 400m reps, but eye balls out and with relatively lengthy static recoveries.

Enjoy being coached again, ZaTTu.  Ultimately it didn't work for me because I was too keen to impress and pushed myself too hard.  Perhaps if I can finally string together a decent training block and get fit again I will dip my toes into the being coached waters...

Nice repping from PP and Padams.

Sorry to anyone I've missed.

06/02/2013 at 12:04

Jools - I had a bit of that issue at the time as well, but I think it was more everything I had going on outside of running at the time that caused me to over-reach. Having been there once and being much more relaxed about my running since post knee-op, I'd like to think I woudn't make the same mistake again

SL - the same guy that coached me previously, and the only person I could ever see being coached by. Barry Magee, one of the original Lydiard boys, and a bronze medal holder in the marathon from the Rome Olympics.

06/02/2013 at 12:23

LJ - that's pretty funny. He clearly didn't know what he was doing though as virtually all of his running is pretty close to MP!

Similar to others, I've had some of my best runs when not really tapered. I seem to run particularly well if I've cycled in the morning (for an afternoon race) or the day before. No idea why!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.