Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,681 to 93,700 of 107,788 messages
07/02/2013 at 15:01
I can definitely shift around the midweek runs but prefer to stick to Saturday long runs in order to have the remainder of the weekend for rest.

Would this work or is Tue-Thu schedule a bit too much?

Mon - 2x3 miles easy
Tue - Club 7.5miles. This week was 2,4,6,6,4,2 intervals with 2 mins rest inbetween
Wed - 12-15 miles
Thu - Club 7.5 miles. Tonight is 10 mins out, 10 mins back, 10 mins hard (the 7.5 miles includes warmup/cool down)
Fri - 2x3 miles easy
Sat - Long run
Sun - Rest
07/02/2013 at 15:08

I think a Wednesday long run could work, but it would be too much to keep the Thursday session.  So you'd effectively be doing two quality sessions back-to-back, which can be useful. This is pretty much what I got in the habit of doing for my first marathon following a Hal Higdon plan: either a tempo or race-pace run on a Saturday, effectively going out for the long run the next day on tired legs.  If you did the same sort of thing Tuesday/Wednesday, I'd make Thursday's running easy.

07/02/2013 at 15:09

Lombster - I'd agree with you and Phil's recommendation(s). The mid week long run, not only adds mileage but is a good opportunity to try and build some tempo (either @ threshold or MP) in too as that's lacking from your plan too in my opinion. You can always add MP (and I'd recommend it) into the last hour of long runs too to get used to the pace on tired legs.

What's your plan for Tunbridge Wells Half? MP run or PB effort?

07/02/2013 at 15:13

Lombster - welcome! I'd have a play around with what works best re your midweek long run. For info I tend to do mine on Wednesday, even though this is our club's weekly hill or speed session (it alternates week to week), The club session is at 7:00, so what I usually do is meet a friend at 6:00, do an hour first and then do the club session but don't go daft doing either the speed or hills. You can still work hard and put some effort in, but don't go full beans type thing. This works well for me - we did 15 miles last night with 10 hardish hill repeats. Is there anyone else at the club training for a Spring Mara who's a similar standard? If so maybe you could agree to meet up with them pre-club and do likewise? Even if it's half an hour before and then a slightly longer cool down you'll still get to 12-14 miles or so which is perfect for a midweeker in my view.

07/02/2013 at 15:38

Lombster - welcome! I'd agree with LS, convert your Thursday club run into a medium-long run by adding a couple of miles before and after. I find this mentally very easy as I just take a slightly longer route to the club, run with them for an hour, then a slightly longer route home, and without thinking you've done 12M.

I agree with Saturday long runs - get it done early so you can enjoy the rest of the weekend!

07/02/2013 at 16:00

Amsterdam was ace! The weather was grand in 2010 too. I seem to think we sat in the stand watching the finish of the HM in the sunshine, not having to get lots of layers on to keep the hyperthermia away. It was a special day, I had a good, and more importantly enjoyable run, my mate did a 2:41 debut. Then we did the rehydration bit too, not as flamboyantly as Dids or LS21, but enough. I seem to remember nearly getting wiped out by both the tram and bikes!!

Cracking place and run. But...... mmmmm German beer!?!

07/02/2013 at 17:16

Thanks for the welcomes and great advice. I think I'll convert the club run on Thursday into a long run. I'll have to add on at the end of the session as I barely make the start as it is due to getting back from work!

I'm starting to add some MP into my long runs which I've never done before. To be honest, I've never done that many long runs in my training (only 1 or 2 for my previous marathons!) which has always impacted me post-15 miles! Plus I've never paced myself well so always do a positive split (I do get carried away at the start!) with at least 15 minutes between first half/second half times!

Johnas - For the TW Half I'll be going for a PB

07/02/2013 at 17:25

Sounds like a good plan as does adding some MP. I'm still struggling to comfortably sit at my MP in sessions (either too fast or too slow!) but will get a good MP run at Wokingham this Sunday so a good chance to practise

Lombster wrote (see)
Johnas - For the TW Half I'll be going for a PB

Good luck (I'm Chief Marshal so making sure it's a safe and enjoyable race for you all again this year!). If you havent done it before, we've got a great 1.30 pace team that will get you round on target even with Spring Hill @ 10K.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 17:44
07/02/2013 at 19:01

Lombster Is there anyway that you could extend your Monday and Friday commutes?

8 (7:26 mpm average) commute this morning to be repeated again tomorrow with some faster bits legs allowing.

TR
07/02/2013 at 19:24

I agree 2x3M twice a week is a bit of a waste of time in marathon training, maybe 8+5 or even 10 and 5 on the Monday.

Abo has closed already !

07/02/2013 at 20:33

LJ - that's a good number for a wednesday

Lombster - you'll get plenty of good advice on here

LS21 - great story, haha. There was a bloke in one of the boozers after I'd run Amsterdam who said he'd struggled with the race because he'd gone out and got hanging the night before. My mate said "why didn't you just wait an extra day ffs" lol

Jools - Dan is right, you should put in a pb effort at Wokingham and see what you come out with.

Amsterdam is a great race, well organised with a quality start and finish. Like others have said the post race party isn't too bad either Frankfurt looks ace and sounds great from those I know who've run it. That finish looks ballistic!!!

Club session last night, first "effort" for a bit on a short tempo. Enjoyed it but sadly the hamstring didn't the next morning. Maybe not the most sensible thing but been back running a decent amount so got to test the water at some point. Got xc on sat where I'm just going to trott round as the team needs the points but I'm giving myself another 10 days - 2 weeks and if I still have any hamstring issues I'm calling it a day on London this year. I can take it or leave it to be honest and with having loads of study on I'm not sure I'm that fussed about banging loads of miles out everyday, priorities and all that. Want to get myself sorted again and then gear up for some fell running in May in the lakes. May just be injury pessimism getting the better of me but fairly realistic about things really. Will see how things pan out next 10 days or so and make a decision then.

A race target for me is one of the lakes A race classics in either Wasdale or Borrowdale in August.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 20:49
07/02/2013 at 21:54
Ello, ello, ello - what's going on ere then?

Home Run - by a great co-incidence it seems your murder case has hit the main headlines again. A witness has finally named him. Got to be good for your hopes of the TV series.
07/02/2013 at 21:58

RS.. sorry to hear you're still struggling, hope you can get it sorted.

Jools.. agree with the others, shame to miss an opportunity when you're in your best form.

LS21.. cracking tale from Old Amsterdam, though I prefer Shaky's 'This Old House' meself.  'Ain't got time to fix the shingles, ain't got time to fix the floor' has surely got to be to be one of pop music's finest lyrics.

Welcome Lombster & Johnas.

LJ.. nice long run yesterday, even if pitiful!

DanA.. I may outdo you in terms of totty company on my runs but I can't match your Playboy girlie!

When I did a PB in Berlin many years ago I managed to keep drinking until I realised my eyes could no longer stay open at 3.30am.

7m on the treadie tonight inc. 6 x 800 @ 6:18 pace.

07/02/2013 at 22:06

13M @ 7.44m/m (flat route).  I love heading out for a run at 7pm after I've been working for 11 hours.  Still, I definitely earned the Chinese takeaway

Welcome Johnas and Lombster.  T'others have given sage advice.

07/02/2013 at 22:26

Wardi - the train ticket is booked and have a place to say so the option is still there

Jools - I moaned the other night going for a run late at night with a club mate up here but actually really enjoyed it especially as its so quiet.

08/02/2013 at 09:26

Jools - Sounds like you earned that takeaway.

RS - Take it easy with that hamstring.

TR -How's the knee holding up?

Wardi - decent session, I'm, sure I've asked but have you an A race coming up? 

15 last night in a progressive stylie, started at 6m/m and ended in 5.30's, happy with how it all felt, I've just entered the Reading half, anyone done it?

Shame Abo has closed as I was planning on entering, Amsterdam is calling!!

08/02/2013 at 09:40

SL - your coach sounds a character. Reading is a quick course. You'll fly around it! Do you want to know anything specific about it?

Nice running LJ.

Even as an ale drinker LD, I'd go for German beers over German ales. Helps if you're lucky enough to have a good guide like Njord though

More nice miles Jools!

Welcome to the new folk!

I'm very happy (and proud) to say that, as of this morning Mrs TT is now a fully qualified accountant having passed all 14 of the ACCA exams first time (a trickier proposition than it sounds, even without doing it whilst pregant, suffering with flu (twice) and a variety of other considerations). 3+ years of hard work has paid off. And she done a bit too

08/02/2013 at 09:48

Morning.

Wardi, top drinking in Berlin btw. 3.30am is not a bad effort. I'm thinking mine and JW's 5.30am at London last year must be near to a record. (Once we'd packed the oldies off to bed). Nice treadie 800s matey - your looking good.

Jools, solid steady (therapeautic?) HM on a school night. Bet I know where your thoughts were.

RS78, Good luck with the hammy.

Huge congrats to Mrs TT!!

Double yesterday with 7M incl 15mins tempo + 4M recovery. Gym this morning just for stetching/foam rollering/TLC.

08/02/2013 at 09:49

Congrats Mrs TT!

SL - Tasty progressive run!

If we're scoring marathons according the native beer, surely Brussels has to be in the mix?  Not that I know anything about it.

Horrible cold, wet and windy weather last night so I was pleased to get through 18 miles incl. 13.1 in 1:17:09 (5:53/m), utilising bits of the marathon course around the Isle of Dogs.  HR during MP section was kept at a steady 165 average = 81% max.  Nice.

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 09:50
08/02/2013 at 10:02

Brian - cheers

SL - cheers and Zattu is right, you'll scream round the Reading course, v quick.

PP - pretty sharp for a training run blimey.

Zattu - good news on your OHs exams, that is a lot of hard work. Kind of thing I'm doing with Physio at uni now altho not pregnant obviously

I passed one "pass/fail" practical exam and got 90% on another this week so not been a bad week really....oh it was my birthday yesterday too, haha Quiet one this year though, couple of light ales.

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 10:03
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.