Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,721 to 93,740 of 105,659 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/02/2013 at 14:12

If everyone runs to their predicted time at Wokingham, I'll be in a 3-way dead heat for 3rd in AG.  However, if everyone was as optimistic as I was then who knows where things will end up. 

Although right now with this chesty cough that's lingered all week it'll be a late decision whether to DNS, run it as an MP effort, or just go for it in the usual fashion and wonder what all the fuss was about.  Could turn out nasty if I pick the wrong one.

Dan, don't worry.  You & Wilson Kipsang are shoe-ins for a combined time under 5:00 too

08/02/2013 at 14:13

Dan A - it was the same last year in terms of Wokingham entries, I thought from the list I'd struggle to crack the top 200, but ended up 79th.  Mind you, it helped that I ran several minutes quicker than I expected.

08/02/2013 at 14:23

CD - Not with Dans London marathon history  ;-)

Dachs - thanks, I've never done a stadium finish before, I presume it's at Readings stadium and not a greyhound track or similar.  8 miles is normally where I "wobble" so a hill may take my mind off it........

08/02/2013 at 14:29

Yes, at the Madejski Stadium rather than the dog track.  You do go past the old greyhound track on the run in down the dual carriageway.  It's all shut now, but I'm sure they won't mind you breaking in and doing a couple of laps.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/02/2013 at 14:39

Ah, I'd forgotten about that SL.  OK, Dan and David Weir are shoe-ins for sub 5.

08/02/2013 at 16:17

When it comes to the Embankment, David Weir usually looks considerably more able bodied than me.  

08/02/2013 at 19:30

Good luck to everyone running Wokingham on sunday.

08/02/2013 at 19:37
Edinburgh?...Hot?...in May?...Cost someone 15mins again did it? Is that just one of you lot trying to wind me up? Well I'm not biting...much ;o)

As we were.
08/02/2013 at 19:43
About 6-7 years ago I was working away in Amsterdam at ABN Ambro with this really geeky IT bloke. He was a "Dr" and flew planes and stuff when not writing code. He persuaded me to watch the Holland v Argentina match in a bar with him. Inwardly I groaned when he asked me.
So, leaving the Old Nickel B&B, with the owner saying we close at 4am, ("yeah, right") i met him in the centre.
Next thing you know it's 4:30am and i finally left the good Dr body popping on the floor of the Paradiso club, had a major bollocking off the sleepy but angry hotel owner (a huge man who appeared to be wearing an orange boiler suit), pulled down the curtain rail, and am lying in a room that is spinning uncontrollably.
Next morning, on doing the walk of shame (3 hours late) there he was, been cutting code since 8:30am and looking fresh as a daisy.
08/02/2013 at 19:50

Hi Ian welcome to the group. I scraped a sub 3 last year feel I almost fluked it as was would have been happy with sub 03:10. 

It can be hard keeping up with all the sub 02:40 and even sub 02:30 runners on here

I am not very experienced but will try and pass on what I am learning from this group. Try and get your mileage higher to build endurance. I am now pushing 60 a week instead of 45. Many would suggest 70 or more. I had let my speed work go and I am paying the price for this so building in some intervals/fartleks back into my training. Had forgotten how tough running shorter distances really fast is

Could you run 06:50 pace for the second half of a longer run ie 16 to 18 miles? As it sounds like you ran out of steam.

I am sure some of the more qualified people will correct me if I am wrong.

Tim 

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 20:04
08/02/2013 at 20:32

IainL -- welcome. What does a training week look like? Conking out at 19M suggests more focus on the long runs (and/or setting off at a less ambitious pace -- it should feel ridiculously easy in the early stages) would be in order. You can get away with remarkably few miles overall if you get accustomed to doing a really long run once a week, though I don't claim that's an optimal strategy.

08/02/2013 at 20:33
Dachs - I'm game for a stab at 1:15 pace, but think it's going to be a hang on and hope attempt. aim is to see how much further I can hold the pace compared to Gosport (about 7 of the 13.1). There's an outside chance it'll be to the finish line, not really sure my training has been consistent enough, but I might surprise myself... I'll be happy to match or improve on Gosport. I fear the weather may intervene to some degree though (praying forecast is going to change)

Welcome to Lombster and Johnas

RS - Hope the hamstring clears up in time, well done on the exam results.

TT - Congrats to Mrs TT on qualifying Bit of a shame you won't be at Wokingham, but looking at the weather forecast it might have been a sound choice

Great training from Wardi, Jools, SL, TR, Brian, Lombster, PP (a 1:17 HM in training, wowzers!)

Been a fair easy week here, did Tuesday speed session (3x10min) and took it easy for middle rep (5:45/6:49/5:34) last rep was pure down wind hence a bit quicker. 6/7/5.5M easy since with 4x400m and a bit of a progressive fast finish on today's run. Got a sports massage booked for tomorrow, so will sandwich a a couple of miles to/from that with some strides prior to racing on Sunday. Should be on about 50-55miles for the week (down from 70)

Not partaken in any post marathon drinking antics yet, but will be doing Frankfurt this year with a couple of old uni mates, so this might be the first time....Saw Brussels mentioned as a marathon/drinking trip combo, from what I've read the race isn't brilliant, but the beer is fantastic so that might even up the balance
08/02/2013 at 20:54

Ran 8 with 5 @ tempo (alledgedly) into work. Not lookiing great for the weekend but when looking at my training from the last time I ran Wokingham it may be deceptive. Anyway tomorrows a rest day. Splits this morning were 7:11, 7:27, 6:51, 6:51, 6:47, 6:45, 6:46, 7:46

Echo congrats to Mrs TT, also are you still doing OU TT ?

08/02/2013 at 21:33

Jools.. well done, you definitely earned your prawn crackers and Leyton Orient sauce!

PP.. fantastic 13.1 effort in that 18 miler, I assume it is reasonably quiet on the Isle of Dogs at nightime?

Coro.. good luck with your half.  Best wishes to the Wokingham runners too.

RS.. many happy returns & congrats on the exam results.  Great qualification for Mrs TT too.

Al P.. looks like a decent taper, hope the weather is better than forecast,

SL.. fantastic 15 last night!  BTW my 'A' races (thanks for asking) were the Brass Monkey (cancelled) & an early Jan club 5 miler which was a compromised outing due to the bashed ribs I acquired in mid-December!  I was coming into some improved form in late Nov/early Dec and the rib problem feels like it has set me back by about about 4-6 weeks.  One of the problems of old codgerdom was summed up nicely by Running Bear last year.. 'getting injured is the road to ruin as it takes much longer to recover and then get fitness back'.  It is certainly more noticeable compared to when I was in my mid 40's.  I've got a few decent week's mileage under my belt now so it's time to re-visit the Parkrun (they brought me on nicely in the latter half of last year).  Day off today so did a steady 10m around cold but sunny country lanes.

I take it from the post marathon drinking stories that none of us rush to the post race massage/ice bath & carb/protein replenishment routine?    

08/02/2013 at 21:39

Tim, CharlieW thanks for the welcome... I have heard that i was lacking on my long runs although i tried to do as mant as i could but managed 3-4 15milers and a couple of 20's so probably not enough... I know i am capable of sub 3 or lower after all my best half time was at 16 years old was 86min. My basic week averages at about 35 - 45 miles per week for now but that will increase..my issue with training is i get bored on my longer runs so i dont push as hard as i should..a training partner would help but all my mates are into football and beer lol..a comfortable run for me, like tonights 6 miler is around 7min/mile but can get it down to 6:30 when pushed..

08/02/2013 at 22:07

I just entered The Outlaw... oops! (Hides).  Got a cold this week but feel okay and not affected training too much.  I have some easy days next week as I am running in a mid week Championship XC (7th of 9 in team - 6 to count) and then Portsmouth Half at the weekend.  We'll see what the weather's up to before I predict a finish time!

09/02/2013 at 10:21

Iain - I'm aiming sub3 so there some of us lurking around! I'm confident of doing it subject to injury. Sounds like you have the pace already if you're comfortable doing a good length at 6:50 ie. marathon pace. I'd agree you need to build up your long runs (15-21miles say), but also they should be backed up with medium length runs (MLRs) of 11-15 miles - the long run shouldn't dominate your weekly mileage, less than a third say. Like Tim says, try some pacier stuff towards the end of some of your LR/MLRs.

Personally, satisfaction at my biggest ever mileage and longest run since VLM11 has soured a bit this week as I realised I stepped up too much in one week and have slight aches around inner knees, only slight but worried its a portent of worse to come, so I missed MLR Tuesday,then carried on almost as planned ... recovery run, 9miles at 6:40, 10M easy yesterday, 5M recovery for today and perhaps 19M tomorrow (was to be 21). Ache still only slight and hoping it's going to fade away following cutback week. Fingers crossed, tomorrow will tell!

Congratulations on exam successes and great running and good luck to all those racing this weekend.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 10:22
TR
09/02/2013 at 10:38

Wardi - you forgot to mention the post VLM cigars.

2 hrs of turbo done here, adding up all the running, turbo, mtb commutes and swimming gives me ~17hrs of aerobics this week. the 58 running miles in there is my biggest week since last March. the Diesel engine is still chugging away.

09/02/2013 at 11:28
A 4am nite out in the presence of Radio 6 DJ Gilles Peterson at the Roadhouse in Manchester last night. Can't hear a bloody thing this morning, but we were dancing along non-stop for 4 hours. Does that count as training?
09/02/2013 at 11:40

8M this morning including 10 x 100m strides. Much to the annoyance of the guy who thought he hadn't been chicked ... but he had ... but he hadn't ... but he had ... but he had

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.