Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,741 to 93,760 of 108,396 messages
09/02/2013 at 14:12
Haven't seen a list for a while, I'm not touching it as I'll mess it up.

LD- someone on fetch has recorded walking as mileage, I've set the dogs on em'.

TR- nice going.

13 miles with 8 tempo, came out at 5.24 a mile, pretty pleased, puts me on 80ish miles for the week so a decent long run will bring up my biggest week for a year
09/02/2013 at 15:55

simonx9 - most of my runs at the moment are between 5-10 miles with a 13 - 15 on sundays.. sort of getting back into it after a lenghty break after last years edinburgh.. spent a lot of time on the bike doing london/ brighton road (56miles) and the off road one (75 miles) my biggest hurdle at the moment is the psycological one of getting out the door..i did an easy 6 miles yesterday averaging 7:10 with every other mile around 6:50ish..ill change the plan i have to include a midweek long run of 8+ got alot to work on but its tough on my own..

09/02/2013 at 17:36

SL -- crikey, you're quick right now.

IainL -- 86 mins for a half is good going at 16. Most people seem to reckon on 82 or 83 mins being the benchmark for indicating a likely sub-3 marathon, if you have one of those coming up. Long run wise, I find them less of a drag if I'm either running somewhere interesting, or doing something structured with different types of segment (e.g. 8 miles hills, then out to a village and back, or 10M easy then 10M hard and a few more, etc etc). Having said that I've been recently known to clock up long runs in a Zen-like succession of grassy park laps when worried about niggles. Starting very early works well for me, so I still catch up with the family for a (late) breakfast and have the rest of the day ahead.

The consensus is that you need to sometimes do some progressive ones (running at Marathon Pace for a good few miles near the end of a long one), but not every week or you'll burn out; just an old-school Long Slow Run each week should do wonders for your muscular adaptation to fat-burning and tolerance to keeping going for longer. My non-conformist preference is to do at least a couple of full- or over-distance training runs (I did 28M last week) -- then my mantra on the day (through gritted teeth), at 24M is... I do... not... fear... the distance!!! Every year at VLM I fail to maintain an even pace and lose a minute or two in the last few miles. But in those last few miles I also overtake literally hundreds of very good runners who set off too fast or who just weren't properly trained for the full distance -- it's like a war zone of casualties...

Love the beer stories by the way, especially yours LS21 -- had to read it out to the Mrs to explain my chortling...

09/02/2013 at 19:06

I've been trying to keep up with the posts on here but not having much luck with work/training/life stuff going on. Still managing to keep to the schedule, although sometimes it has to be rejigged somewhat. This week has included 5 x 0.9 mile intervals starting at 10k PB pace then the last 4 at more like 5k PB pace, a 14 mile MLR, 12 miles with 8 @ MP (6.50, 6.51, 6.53, 6.48, 6.48, 6.44, 6.48, 6.46 - looks slow compared to SL's run!), 4 easy/recovery runs and a slow 20 to follow in the morning will rack up 72 for the week. 

09/02/2013 at 19:09

Good read back since last Tuesday. I enjoyed the tapering comments! I'm less convinced by all the carbo loading stuff these days.

Anyway, I'm back and running. It's a bit chilly!

09/02/2013 at 19:57
Spooning about in the mud today at the Hampshire XC league in Salisbury. Pretty deep in places and one of my new clubmates lost one of his new spikes in it, did us proud though and did half the last lap with one shoe - top work!
I didn't seem to cope as well as others with the mud and lost a bit of ground in the deeper stuff (quite frustrating when you can feel your heart rate drop but have no way of putting in more effort!) but managed to finish 4th in a similar field that I managed 12th in less than a month a go so shows I'm going in the right direction.
Good luck to all those racing tomorrow, especially the Wokingham crew.
Edited: 09/02/2013 at 19:57
09/02/2013 at 21:14

Good luck to the Wokingham crew tomorrow! Hopefully the conditions end up better than forecast.

postie postie - nice tempo. I'm not doing the OU anymore. I decided to put it off until the kids are older as I didn't think it was fair on them to have one of us just finished several years of intense study as the other was just getting started. I'd miss too much, so it wasn't worth it.

Love it Jools

SL - you're on fire!

1st Lydiard 10m @ 1/2 effort (cMP + 20-30s) run last night since before Berlin. Avg pace was a comparatively slow (but about what I expected) 6:27m/m. Contrasted to 8 weeks out from Berlin when I was behind where I wanted to be, but about 10-15s per mile quicker. Shows that I have been extremely lazy of late as those runs were always the cornerstone of my training. Work to be done!

10/02/2013 at 09:44

Good luck to all long runners and any racers today.

Long run in the mud and rain. 30C last week, 3C this week: but I loved it!

LD how are you getting on with the book?!

10/02/2013 at 11:15

TT.. 'take encouragement from the progress' is what I try & tell myself when I'm running like a carthorse.

SL.. more great running & a healthy weekly total.

Marigold.. 4th place in a mudbath is good going, hope they had a free hosing down service at the finish!

CC2.. nice tempo session there, sorry to hear life is a bit busy for you.

Good to see you can still shake your hips with the youths Dids.  One of the cards I got on my 50th birthday contained the message 'more hip op than hip-hop' so I reckon you're ahead of the game!

Welcome Iain.

Showed up at the York Parkrun yesterday and to further enhance my lothario status I managed to find yet another lesser spotted to run round with.  In this case she is a year older than me but no slouch - she won the FLM girlies over 50 category in 2:58 a few years ago.  I wasn't as rusty/tired as I thought after recent training days and was encouraged with 20:30 for 20th out of 173.  Managed to just pip my running partner by a couple of seconds.  We celebrated our respective age group wins post race with fairy cakes and a mug of horlicks.  Yum.    

TR
10/02/2013 at 11:58

top pace there SL

Wardi - very rock and roll !

Aware that I'd burn too many matches if I kept doing progressive flat long runs (to ease my knee), I headed up on the hill for one of the slow long runs (with long climbs of Portsdown in it) that set me up well for the last 2 VLMs. Copped a right soaking and got pretty cold, but 4 long climbs and 20M which I made last 2h 41m, so excellent time on feet (should only need another ~15mins on race day) and could have gone further. Running legs have caught up nicely in tha past couple of weeks.  

10/02/2013 at 12:17

TR - that sounds pretty ideal really. I always made the mistake of running long runs too quick in the past.

Wardi - nice park running

More positive for me yesterday - came through north east harrier league cross country unscathed. Club is languishing at the bottom of the table so needed bodies for points. Took it sensibly and left leg still feels a bit weaker but having rested it since tuesday and just a short run friday evening had no serious problems on the course......well other than fitness, christ. Boggy and hilly, lungs done in, legs screaming but a right old laugh with the club as always. Will see how the leg responds to yesterday and decide if I'm able to/up for running London by end of wk.

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 12:33
TR
10/02/2013 at 13:05

RS - agreed, gave me a big confidence boost, those hilly long runs have been tough in the past and it was a surprise that it was a doddle first time out today. Shows that it doesnt take long to come back when you have been at it a few years. I still have enough time to salvage something 1/2 decent. Sounds like you are getting there, but quite rightly you are aware that you need a decent block of training to be able to do VLM.

nippers footy has been cancelled again - 4th week in a row, luckily we still have indoor cricket later.

TR
10/02/2013 at 13:16

looks like there were a lot of threadsters at Wokingham today, someone made the podium too,

10/02/2013 at 14:11
HR - read a bit more last night. It is really well written. You manage to convey a feel for Africa in just a few well chosen words. Thankfully - since I have no patience for long descriptive passages. Still getting over the co-incidence of it being back in the news. Does that woman seem reliable?
10/02/2013 at 14:17
Blackburn Winter Warmer 10k today. Never again. Far too hilly. Did an astonishingly slow 38.45 and didn't even bother to wait to see if my four race winning streak in the piss poor V50 category was at an end.
Grabbed a meat and potato pie (won't care if I was eating Shergar), battled hypothermia waiting for Me Julie and then f@cked off vowing never to return.
Just confirmed all my prejudices of that scruffy neck of the woods.

I also realise my hill training thus far has been run too easy. Grrrrr...
Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/02/2013 at 14:24

Yes TR, someone made the podium but it wasn't me!  I ended up 51st in 1:16:08, and I'd have bitten the arm off that offered that at the start.

I ran with a clubmate for the first few miles, then around 4 or so, Jock Itch caught us and by the time we were at 6 we had a nice group or half a dozen or so formed up.  I got a bit of a second wind at 7 and felt really good, but eventually I lost touch with the group on the last of the little rises over motorway bridges, at maybe 11 miles.  Kept them in sight though, and the finish was strong enough but not quie enough to slip under 76.  Not complaining though.

10/02/2013 at 14:43

TR - Nice long run

RS & Marigold - Good xc efforts

Dids - I'm not picking up mch love from you for East Lancs. Mind you, I only venture over there for xc fixtures.

By contrast, yesterday's xc was up at Lancaster Uni. Nice course around the sports centres with a few hills and a mix of firm and boggy patches made it pretty varied. Long run today came out at 21.7 @ 6:57m/m's. First half with a tailwind featured 3m @ MP. I'd have liked to do another MP section on the way back but attempting to maintain pace into the wind and rain was enough of a challenge. On the plus side I discovered that cold Christmas pudding makes excellent recovery food.

Right, beer and rugby beckons.

10/02/2013 at 14:45

CD - Nice one. Decent field at Wokinghham then if that time didn't manage top 50!

10/02/2013 at 14:54

Mild case of hypothermia waiting for the ferry home this morning after my long run over the Purbecks, should have run a bit faster and caught the earlier one....... that'll teach me!

Weekly Summary up even though I haven't even done my final run of the week yet, I'm good for it though honest

http://www.steveway.co.uk/?p=906

Taken a cheeky look at the Wokingham results, some good stuff in there considering the conditions, apart from Marders - he was his usual shit self.

10/02/2013 at 15:30

Well parkran Wardi, and glad the legs are OK RS78.

Clearly you need to do TR's long hill training LD... good long ones too AndyD & Marigold.

Great half CD, glad you were chuffed with it.

Folksworth 15 for me today. It was a bit hilly too, and blustery, so I didn't expect it to be too quick. In fact I probably started too conservatively in order to remain in the shelter of a group on the first lap (always a bit paranoid about facing headwinds alone), but picked up in the second half with some fun tactical surges to catch/drop people. Ended up 6th in 1:29:29 with the MV40 prize (by dint of the more talented V40s winning podium prizes). 15@5:58/M counts as decent better-than-MP training, anyway (and with 1 before and 5 after to total 21M). I didn't recognise the winner until he was announced at the end, despite exchanging a few pleasantries... one Neil Renault.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.