Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,761 to 93,780 of 109,197 messages
10/02/2013 at 16:10

Well done on the MV40 prize, Charlie.  Nice half from LD as well, by the looks of things.

Nice LSRs from TR and Speedy.

I decided that the conditions at Wokingham were not conducive to a pb and settled for 1.28 (according to my Garmin, 1.28.00, which I'm childishly pleased about, so doubtless the results will have me as something between 1.27.58 and 1.28.02 which is not 1.28.00).  Pacing was a bit erratic, it would seem (anything between 6.30 and 7.05), but there were patches with a headwind and patches with a tailwind (and, I'm guessing, patches where I just wasn't trying hard enough...).  Sorry I didn't catch up with any threaders (bar shouting 'good luck' to Marders as he was warming up), but it wasn't the weather for loitering.  I really regretted doing a mile 'cool down' as it became rather literal; spent the walk back to the station and the train journey to Reading with chattering teeth and white hands!

Will cyber stalk others' results shortly

Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/02/2013 at 16:43

Jools, I see the results are as you predicted, but at least it's on the right side of 1:28.  You're right about cool down too - I was starting to get cold almost as soon as I'd stopped, and needed the free tea on the way back to the baggage tent.

Nice prize bagging CW.

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 16:44
10/02/2013 at 16:48

Well done to everyone racing this weekend.

Ran 62 miles this week and from Sunday to Saturday last week I ran 83 miles. So hanging around on this forum seems to be encouraging my mileage in an upward direction. Also managed to get one more speed session in that went a lot better than my attempt earlier in the week. 

10/02/2013 at 16:58

Nice cross-country work by Marigold and RS

Great stuff on the 15 by CW too, sounds a particularly fun last half.

Dids, sounds like you slowed it down to take in the lovely scenery.

Well done CD and Jools at Wokingham.  CD, sounds like you were in the group just behind me.  Jools, I spoke to a few afterwards who decided to make it a marathon pace job, so you're not alone.  Horrible last few miles to the race...

Big PB for me at Wokingham today, and went under the 75 barrier for the first time with 1:14:46.  Up to 10 miles were comfortable-ish, aided by a good group of four other guys (including a threader, who no doubt will describe his race himself, but who did very well indeed). Mile 10 onwards was tough, having fallen off the back of the group just in time to meet the headwind and driving rain full on with no humans to shield me, and the splits went a little south, but knew I was still on for sub-75 and delighted to have cracked it.  Champs start at VLM 2014 then...

10/02/2013 at 17:03

By the look of things i had better get my A into G and notch up my weekly milage.I know the pace will take care of itself (it always does). are there any running plans that i can download to help me with my sub 3 attempt. I have got the RW sub 3 plan but the milage isnt anywhere near what most of you are doing..Todays run was a slow 7:45m/m 10 miler but managed to push the last mile at 6:02. felt goood

10/02/2013 at 17:08
What's the crack with hill training then? We're a bit starved of inclines round here so I do a lot on the treadmill. Mainly 10-12 x 2 mins at 3-4% say. Run them so that every few I have to stop, hands on hips and get my breath back.
Suspect I should be going for 5-7%?

I also do some 1 min 30 sec sprints up a road that's probably about 2%, but I don't really class that as hill training... Just intervals.
10/02/2013 at 17:13

well done Charlie, LD & Jools for good races - esp. Charlie of course for nabbing a prize.  Good long runs too. On that subject ...

scheduled 21, replanned to 19 because of knee concerns (with an option near the end to make it 17). Legs felt heavy from before half-way so decied to go for the 17 option. Missed a turn at furtherst point (new route) ended up having to do 20M in 2:48 on really heavy legs. I note recent comments on the benefits of slow long runs which is I believe in, but I can't claim that today because that was all I had! Knees okay so far but going by last week, tomorrow will tell. Wildlife: not a lot apart from 33 swans in a field.

PS I used Njord's suggestion of bikehike website to plan route, even downloaded route to Garmin but no idea what to do with it there, shall have to investigate would've saved me getting lost!

10/02/2013 at 17:14

Dachs well done great PB in challenging conditions

10/02/2013 at 17:18
Wardi - we've had the post marathon boozing stories, but I suspect any more of your flirting with the ladies stories and we may be moving onto some running tales of a more salacious nature?

Presumably there must be some pretty scandalous fables from the running clubs of England? A 5k sealed with a warm cuddle from the ladies captain, a 10k PB celebration shared, locked in the kitchen, with the lady that makes the post race burgers?

Come on.... tell all. Just change the names, and trust that Joolska will be able to mount a stern defence should it result in a libel case.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/02/2013 at 17:30

Ah Dachs, were you the Reading guy talking to JH1 in the baggage tent afterwards?

10/02/2013 at 17:57
Yep, that was me.
10/02/2013 at 18:12

Some awesome results from Wokingham today.  Dachs that's top drawer mate; CD, Jock, Al P, Jools and others too.

Lousy conditions but pretty pleased with my first race as a V40, and a one minute improvement of a four year old PB with 1.17.55 - probably a 1 min +ve split, due partly to headwinds in the last 5k and partly to a predictably bullish start (although in my defence it was a case of stick with a group of 5 or run on my own).

Confident of a good sub 2.45 stab in five weeks time with a bit more baking and a decent taper.

10/02/2013 at 18:33

well done Dachs on a great PB, superb! Dan A too Also CD on another excellent time on a misrable day. 

Iain a lot of people recommended this book to me and I in turn shall heartily recommend it to you.  Easy to read, lots of good information and reasoning a great selection of marathoin training schedules (actually it has lots of 12 & 18 week schedules - think it really should have something inbetween but it's easy to adapt) - I often refer back to it, not just the schedules.

7:45 pace isn't slow for a 10miler (like you I'm aiming for sub3)  - in fact somebody last week said I do too much "grey" running - by which they mean that sort of pace - should be more slower running and push harder on my hard runs. I don't doubt it's true. 

10/02/2013 at 18:42

Very impressed with the Wokingham results, well done to Dachs, Dan, Jools, CD, Al P and Jock (guess Marders was OK too).

Congrats to Mrs Zattu, RS78 and Lombster for their exam successes.

Charlie - good result (and nice long run) at Folksworth.

LD - maybe you should find a 10K that starts in Blackburn town centre and then heads one way straight out.

Wardi - when you run do you wear a velvet smoking jacket a la Hef?

TB - good mileage.

Iain - welcome, sounds like you need to do more longer runs and vary your pace a bit more.

Toro - good luck with the XC.

Postie and SL - nice tempos.

TR, Speedy, Simonx, HR and Andy D - good long runs.

Marigold - good performance at the XC.

XC too for me yesterday, probably my best run so far and the extra mileage seems to be paying off, was running with a much better standard of runner.  Did 20 slow ones today, was out for a couple of minutes longer than TR doing a great run along the spine of the Malvern Hills, really enjoyable run despite the awful weather, I was properly cold by the end.  This all rounded off my first ever 100 mile week and my legs probably feel better at the end of it than at the beginning which is hopefully a good sign.  Wildlife highlight was a great view of a spotted woodpecker.

TR
10/02/2013 at 18:46

CD - nice, how does 1:16 compare with previous campaigns ?

Marigold - I was running along the top of the hill (and can see the IoW, Fawley etc) and was only thinking it was a bit wet and cold on the Purbecks today.

CW - nice one on the prize, I wouldnt have recognised the winner either.

Jools - happy with that ? I saw that JH1, DanA, Al P and Jock Itch ran, what about MtR ?

well done for getting the long runs bagged on a horrible day folks.

TR
10/02/2013 at 18:48

LJ - excellent, that was more than (race) time on feet then.

10/02/2013 at 18:53
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Yes TR, someone made the podium but it wasn't me!  I ended up 51st in 1:16:08, and I'd have bitten the arm off that offered that at the start.

I ran with a clubmate for the first few miles, then around 4 or so, Jock Itch caught us and by the time we were at 6 we had a nice group or half a dozen or so formed up.  I got a bit of a second wind at 7 and felt really good, but eventually I lost touch with the group on the last of the little rises over motorway bridges, at maybe 11 miles.  Kept them in sight though, and the finish was strong enough but not quie enough to slip under 76.  Not complaining though.

Very interesting CD. I'd very likely have been in that group with you as I did 1:15:41, and was in a group of 7 for ages!

Can't quite make you out from your pic, what vest/top were you wearing? I was in a red Sandhurst top (ignore this pic, i'm too dumb and lazy to work out getting anew one up)
2mins 12 off the pb today, a stark contrast to me last year taking 6secs off and thinking I was near the end of my road!!

Marigold. wrote (see)

Taken a cheeky look at the Wokingham results, some good stuff in there considering the conditions,

Echo this, conditions weren't exactly picnic fare! Normally I'd be the first to be giving it loads about the wind and rain, but somehow it all came together perfectly for me today!

Jools, good effort too.

Dachs, I've given you enough praise today, in both the flesh, to Bus in the car home, and on my thread in training, but well done

Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/02/2013 at 18:56
TR, today was the first time I've run a pre-London road race since I started managing to get inside 2:40. I ran 74 at Paddock Wood in 2008 but then blew up in Boston. So it's hard to tell really. Spring Ballbuster in 3 weeks might be a better yardstick.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/02/2013 at 19:06
OK SG, I remember the sandhurst guy. Tall fella (well, compared to most of the group!). I was the bald guy in the green top with a horizontal white band. My clubmate who looks exactly the same would only have been a bit behind when you caught us up, but I had a helly on under my vest and he didn't.

I was glad to be in that group, it was paced just right. I just couldn't hang on when we went over the M-whatever near the end, and I was 100m or so behind you from then on. Nice PB, you've got to be pleased with that today.
10/02/2013 at 19:10

Ah I remember the 2 of you. Other chap for Bracknell?

Was an interesting group. 2 guys at the front kept chatting (!), but then dropped away, one guy had the most incredible running style I've ever seen, ramrod straight, very high arms like he was trying to climb an imaginary rope!

But yes it kept us all ticking over nicely, and as you say, being a lanky bastad, I wasn't getting the wind cover I'd hoped for loitering in the middle/back of the group!

Certainly knew that dropping off that group would be a big mistake!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.