Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,781 to 93,800 of 107,419 messages
10/02/2013 at 19:23

Blimey, well done to anyone who pb'd in those conditions: Dachs, DanA and Stevie. Bodes very well for all of you as the conditions must have been worth something.  We can argue about quite how much until the cows come home!

TR: I'm pleased with the result.  It came after weekly mileage of 68, 70, 64 and (this week) 69, so I reckon if I can knock out 1.27.59 (thank you, chip of wonder) on knackered legs in not the best conditions feeling aerobically strong, I'm in very good shape.  I'm going to hang on in with big miles for another 2 weeks so that I take my 55M cut back week for the Bath Half and see what the legs can manage there.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/02/2013 at 19:45
SG, the Bracknell guy (different club to me but also a balding 40-something) was Jock Itch, although he hasn't posted here for a while now. The guy with the arms had mellowed his style a bit by then, it was even more animated earlier on. Still, it obviously works for him because he was quicker than me.
10/02/2013 at 19:48

ah nice to put a face to a forum name with him too.

Good to see people who use their arms to help their running. A lot of us hold them out aimlessly like some kind of T-Rex!

TR
10/02/2013 at 20:24

CD - all the best for the NADbuster then, 3 weeks, is that all. Spring must be on the way at last, hooray.

Jools - good, I like it when you are pleased with your races. You should go much faster on fresher legs at Bath. 3 weeks away too ?

I still hope to make a race somehwere during the build up, Salisbury 10 is 4 weeks today, I'll decide in another 2 weeks, I doubt it'll sell out.

10/02/2013 at 20:35

Inspite of all my pre race woes I still managed a relatively good day at Wokingham.

The race plan was to hang on to the heels of my freind for as long as possible. This was working well until around mile 9 when I managed to over take him and put a couple of other runners between us. Maintained a reasonable fluctuating pace and passed the odd person on the way. By mile 12 I got into an epic battle with this guy. Every time I tried to take him he sped up a bit. I knew that I had to pass before the final corner which I did, so was able to take a decent racing line to the finish. With a sprint finish I managed to clip him by a couple of seconds.

Splits 6:07, 6:16, 6:05, 6:12,6:14, 6:14, 6:09, 6:17, 6:17, 6:21, 6:31, 6:21, 6:05, 0.1 in31.5" (5:44 mpm)

1:21:39 chip time new pb

Given the weather there are alot of good results today. Well done to all.

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 20:36
10/02/2013 at 20:45
Jolly decent weekend of running by all it seems

Good XC from Marigold, RS (good to see you're going in a positive direction), LJ (top mileage & birdwatching too) & Andy D (plus a good long run), nice LR TR (another thumbs up for getting back on track!), LD commiserations on the difficult 10k, well Parkrun Wardi and vet pot bagging from CW

Excellent turn out for Wokingham and a slew of good times/PBs from CD, Jools (well paced), Dachs (congratulations on the Sub75) Dan and SG.

Today at Wokingham turned out to be a bit of surprise for me, thought the weather was going to foul things up but the stronger winds didn't materialise thankfully. Balls'd up the start a bit by starting too far back and took nearly 10sec to cross the line ( the 75min sign was quite far back, were they expecting a lot more 70-75min runners???). As a result the first mile or two were quite quick. Caught up Dachs, but was a bit worried I might have burnt too much energy doing so. As Dachs said we got a group of 4-5 and it worked well. Had a couple of wobberly bits between miles 5-7 when I thought I was going to get a stitch in my abs, but it held off. Pace was good through to 10M (under 5:45/M) but was waiting for the wheels to fall off helpfully the group closed up as we picked up the lead lady and another two guys. Didn't believe I was going to pull it off until about 12M and the last uphill stretch was not pretty! Finished 33th in 1:14:13 for a PB by 2'15" absolutely over the moon!

I think the running form work I did with the Running School in Southampton has a lot to do with today's race. I really didn't think I'd done nearly enough speed/pace work to result in such an improvement (last 1/2 was only in Nov). I felt strong and when things got difficult/hard I just refocused on the aspect's of my form we'd worked on (lift heels, push back with straight legs etc...) and the required effort dropped noticeably, just need to keep practicing to get it more locked in sub-consciously.... It's nice to have glutes that actually do there job now.
10/02/2013 at 20:46
Postie - x-post - well done on the PB and nice racing
TR
10/02/2013 at 20:50

postie - nice, what was your previous best, what time are you hoping for at VLM ?

Al_P - very well done, it will give you a nice confidence boost too with 10 weeks still to go. Fair reward for some recent hard work.

10/02/2013 at 20:52

Nice one indeed Al_P!

Although I think 2:12 is quite enough to take off in one go, 2:15 is getting greedy

10/02/2013 at 21:03

Blimey, congrats on the new PB's DanA, SG, Postie, & double congrats to Al P & Dachs for Championship times.  Class running as always from CD & Marders.

Jools.. nice 1:27 after a mile packed week.  'We can argue about quite how much until the cows come home'   Shouldn't that be 'until the horses come home'?  I see Matt from the Telegraph is getting plenty of material for his cartoons from the horsemeat scandal!

Charlie.. sub 90 for 15m is very good running, congrats on the prize.

Dids.. well raced considering the scenery!

Great long runs today Andy D & Simon & LJ.  ...and well done to LJ on a mileage ton for the week!

Got out for 12.5m in the rain today, lonely old outing.  Saw just one dog walker & 2 wet cyclists!

10/02/2013 at 22:12
Al_P, without wishing to imply that I spend my races staring at other blokes, it did occur to ne during the race how easily you seemed to be moving, so the form is good
10/02/2013 at 22:16

Average run today.

10/02/2013 at 22:20
Despite my appalling run, I once again won the dire V50 category. So, in two months I have won more prizes than in the previous 12 years of running.

Each one a totally hollow victory.

When I was early mid 40s, setting PBs, I used to be brought to earth by some old boy cruising past me. Where have they all gone? I'm convinced they've joined the ranks of the boring old cyclists.
10/02/2013 at 22:30
Looking at the results, Today I was beaten by;
John Lloyd (British tennis coach/player?)
Mark Smith (singer with The Fall?)
Mark Almond (Soft Cell?)
Andy Townsend (Chelsea and EIRE footballer?)

Is this a name sake/dropping record?
10/02/2013 at 22:39
SG and Postie - more good runs at Wokingham.

TR - I hope so!

Wardi - well done getting out for a run today. Surprisingly I saw loads of people out today including 2 big groups of runners. I hardly ever see anyone when I run at home.
10/02/2013 at 22:56

Smashing half results today, great work. Didn't seem like the easiest of days, but great times anyhow. Wokingham was the place to be today....

Some good training as well by folks!!

10/02/2013 at 23:22

Previous pb was 1:23:49 set at Wokingham 2 years ago.

Target for VLM is some thing to build on for an attempt on sub 2:45 at Abingdon later in the year so probably 2:50ish.

11/02/2013 at 06:23

Just read back and some fabulous Wokingham results. Really just wanted to say that: well done to you all for the pb's and great times. Superb. 

LD Marc Almond is 56 now, incredibly, so unlikely to be the real deal. Well done on your win. Is the V50 at London Marathon also a poor category in your opinion? I'm hoping next year to give it a bit of a thrash.

I know there's a labelling issue but what's the problem with eating horsemeat?

Edited: 11/02/2013 at 06:26
11/02/2013 at 07:06

Nice run Jools, but now I can't wait to see what you can really do in Bath.

Tremendous PBs Dachs and Al_P, sub-75 is a big landmark. Dachs, the golden portaloos await...

And you're back with a vengeance there Dan, congrats on your PB, and a huge chunk off yours StevieG. Stylish finish to claim yours postie.

LD -- I'm hardly a hill expert but I think it's worth practising the careening downhill side of things too. You should start lying about your age to get some worthy competition...

Simonx9 -- good to get a long one in, even if unplanned! In the Garmin choose Training... Do Course, which works well if you have the optional map screen enabled on a 205/305/309 etc where you can follow the wiggly grey line (it's not there in the sleeker running-oriented models). Screenshots here.

LJ -- glad you had a satisfying XC (and wild long run).

I claimed not to have beaten myself up too much yesterday, but now my legs are admittedly creaky. Day or two off I think.

11/02/2013 at 08:20

Awesome results at Wokingham, seems like almost everyone had a good run. Particular congrats to Al_P for a massive PB, and the other PBers (Dachs, Dan plus others I've forgotten).

Marigold - I'm rubbish in mud too, I think it suits the shorter people!

On Saturday I cycled to the final Chiltern League XC - 25M and it started snowing quite heavily during the ride! Got fairly cold, and didn't really manage to warm up throughout the day.

Loads of impressive long runs too. I'm expecting good things at VLM!

The course was ridiculously tough - saw loads of people with shoes missing, or even struggling to just get through some of the mudpits. I ran pretty poorly, nearly a minute down on my clubmate I'm normally close to. 36:33 for (supposedly) 9k - the fact that I can actually believe it was 9k shows how tough the course was.

The ride home was a bit more pleasant - we put the hammer down a bit, so managed to stay warm.

Couldn't face cycling outside yesterday as it rained the entire day, so just did 90 mins on the turbo. Then enjoyed seeing England win - not the most attractive game of rugby I've ever seen but it was strangely compelling.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.