Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,921 to 93,940 of 109,494 messages
14/02/2013 at 16:24
Very good Dan. Gary Player also noticed an amazing correlation that the more he practiced the luckier he got.

Wish I could share my Facebook friend with you all. A work colleague who's a great bloke with a wonderful outlook on life. However, he completely believes in everything that may be classed as Bad Science and a whole lot more. Scientific proof is meaningless to him since he believes in conspiracies that suppress scientists from telling the truth.

Underground nuclear war, the world finances controlled by a secret brotherhood etc.

Last week he made himself a wireless/magnetic sleep machine which means even the worst insomniac could sleep for 24 hours. He also has an electric shock machine to cure viruses instantly, plus some potion for hangovers.

Oh yeah, and plants have feelings. But again, scientists have been silenced by the big food companies.
14/02/2013 at 16:32
CRAB - from a bit of googling, looks like Lewis admitted to failing 3 tests, but what he was positive from was something that wouldn't enhance performance. But, I think it might be one of those things that may be an indicator he was taking something else.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Just.

Frankie Boyle said Pistorius held lots of world records, but he now adds "worst ever valentine present" to his list.

And the "not got a leg to stand on" joke had now circulated the globe 456 times .
14/02/2013 at 16:47

Returning to things which we know do improve running performance, my new Adios arrived today.  They are red.  They have red sparkly laces.  I love them.

14/02/2013 at 17:00
Lord Didsbury wrote (see)

And the "not got a leg to stand on" joke had now circulated the globe 456 times .

I heard she made disparaging remarks about his carbon footprint.

Joolska wrote (see)

Returning to things which we know do improve running performance, my new Adios arrived today.  They are red.  They have red sparkly laces.  I love them.

That's a sub-3 nailed on!    Turns out that my Chichester victory voucher can only be redeemed against Brooks products, so I've ordered a pair of Defyance (sic), which appear to be based on the first ever running shoes I used to run a marathon (Adrenaline GTS7) but lighter, more neutral, with the medial support taken out - which would make them a bit like the new Nike Zoom Elite I've been using??  So they ought to at least fit, and suit my gradually all-improved super-efficient running gait for high mileage training.

Got my favourite mini-taper pre-race tempo-lite session planned for this evening, 6M w/ 3M quick in the middle.

14/02/2013 at 17:06

Mr Dids I swear I watched it online gratis (I'm cheaper than a cheapskate) butthis is what I was talking about I think.  Very good watch if you ask me...ehich you didn't.

There's a joke involving, waking up legless on Valentine's day, shooting in someone's face and imagining it's someone else but the coat rack is out of LS21 models so I'll leave it for now.

As you were. 

14/02/2013 at 17:17

Simonx - nice terminology re the "happy finish" run, let's hope Brian's massage doesn't end the same way!  Good tempo.

TR - I'm getting fed up with having wet feet every single day and managed to mis-time my run today so that I did it in rain rather than lovely sunshine.  Some dick in a van splashed me from a puddle too.

Bufo - what are you worrying about, if you've done some longish runs it sounds like you're easily capable of sub 75.

Al_P - more impressive speed, what rest are you going to have between your MP intervals at Bramley?

Good blog Dan.

Quiet day for me today, 4 miles, 32mins and I'm cooking Mrs LJ a nice dinner tonight.

TR
14/02/2013 at 18:19

I didnt get frozen or rained on today !

Must be VLM training time if folks are talking Bramley. I got an Abo acceptance today though.

LJ - ha ha, I deliberately stopped before I passed a big puddle Sunday as I could see a 4x4 about to drench me.

not sure I can ratify those 10k splits if they were from gadgets (as against a 10K marker like GSR) as you might not have run racing line so could be short of the 10k distance !

14/02/2013 at 19:30

Al_P -- impressive.

I too took delivery of some new scoobies too -- another pair of NB MRC1600, this time half a size bigger (and another 30 quid, as they're no longer in the sale -- bah). Hope they're The Ones, though I'm a bit miffed to see they have jaunty little cut-outs in the soles at the very place I get most wear, i.e. outer edge of ball of foot.

11M to work today and couldn't get any pace up at all; I suppose my legs must just be jaded from Sunday's race still, though they seemed much better yesterday. A very gracious bus driver took the centre of the road to avoid drenching me with puddle-water though, so we exchanged cheery waves.

14/02/2013 at 19:49

Nice blog DanA, is that photo of the collection of aids /supplements taken on your lounge floor?  My only indulgence in this dept are Lucozade jelly beans, probably because I have a sweet tooth and they taste nice.  I even bought a pair of shorts with a proper pocket so I can carry them around easily!  I am definitely not buying any savoury aids that are subject to the pasty tax!

Very good poetry TT .  I think he will need his blades to make his evidence stand up in court.

Brian.. enjoy some beers for a bit, you'll be right soon.  I will keep you posted on York Parkrun, should be there this Sat & March 2nd & 9th.

OS.. very kind of you to doff your cap to us senior codgers.  I quite enjoy the battle with old father time even though it is ultimately doomed!

Al P.. cracking session on Tuesday so soon after the half, you're in great form!

Jools.. pah, girls & shoes!  Did you receive any flowers to match?    I have to admit though that I like sparkly laces too.

I'm with TR on the 'bring on Spring' campaign.  It was winter wonderland again up here last night.  The whole city & surroundings gridlocked, 26,000 homes around York with no power!  Took twice as long as normal to get home but others suffered much worse apparently.  Hopped on the treadie when I got home for 5m & watched the horizontal snow turning to rain.  By contrast today was sunny & 8 degrees.  Enjoyed 11m on muddy & waterlogged local trails 

Edited: 14/02/2013 at 19:50
OS
14/02/2013 at 19:50
I saw the bbc program on the Seoul 100m final a while back. I recall a beautiful sequence where they had an 'expert' discussing the effects of hGH, including growth of the jaw in adults resulting in mid-twenties athletes suddenly developing the need for dental braces. Next scene was Mr Lewis being interviewed, with his teeth in braces. QED n' that.

Nice blog Dan. I still believe in the power of the jelly baby. The black ones are best for speed work, and the yellow ones must be avoided on runs longer than 11 miles, particularly if you are wearing compression socks. Once you understand the full scientific underpinnings, the performance benefits are more or less limitless.
OS
14/02/2013 at 21:11

Wardi - I raise your 8 degrees and sunny to 11 degrees and sunny ........... although by this evening it was back to  being bloody cold again.

Dan - I to enjoyed the blog, apart from the beetroot juice bit which you obviously put in by accident..... otherwise that £1.20 I spend every time I neck a "Beet It Sport shot" would be comlete and utter waste of money - surely I'm not that much of a twat  .......... no response required!

Anyway - fueled on random purple veg juice, I managed a 25 lap solo track tempo session tonight. Legs took a while to get going but finished at faster than Bath Half target pace so pleasing run.

14/02/2013 at 21:34

OS - good memory. exactly as you described.

splashing - suppose  it's  happened often to us all. I have only once tracked down the offender. a small man who turned into in a cul-de-sac and got a bollocking that he wasn't expecting. I do chase after them all, and shake my fists pathetically if they get away,

I've been egged twice- but that might just be a manc thing?

Blisters    pirate
14/02/2013 at 21:34

Beetroot juice?

I've never been more frightened in my (long) life. Bought some of the economical veg from the local farm shop, made up some of that Polish borscht soup. Lots, in fact. Had some beets in a salad. The next day I thought I'd got cancer of the bladder. It was obvious that I was pissing blood in huge quantities.

The medical fraternity ask the beetroot question early on in cancer investigations.

14/02/2013 at 22:00

Marigold.. good idea on the 'Beet It Sport Shot' branding.  Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' would make an excellent backing tune to the TV advert! 

14/02/2013 at 22:05
Dachs (and TR) the 10k split was interpolated between two adjacent points using the 'player' view on Garmin connect, so it was not particularly accurate, I made it 34:58 so may or maybe not have been sub 35... I was just amazed how close to my PB it was.

TT - No worries, it was worth an enquiring mention

Simonx9 - 'Steady' was the plan, think I was putting a little too much effort in, still felt fairly strong at the end though.

Jools - sparkly laces? Surely must be worth at less a (fraction) of a second per mile.

LJ - I was intending to do a steady 4M warm up and then the MP intervals with mile recoveries, pace of the non-MP bits would be between 6:20-7:00/M (suspect they will be at the slower end after an interval or two...)

CW - Going to give the NBs a whirl in the 20 on Sunday to gauge marathon potential

Wardi - I was chastised (in a friendly manner) on Tuesday night by Marigold for bemoaning my relatively low top-end speed, in light of having done a low 74min half two days before...

Dan - 501 likes and counting...
TR
14/02/2013 at 22:15

Wardi - weather sounds carp !

Al_P - Whatever that means ! That was lost on me, ha ha. I'll take your word for it. Dont forget that I time myself with a sun-dial !

14/02/2013 at 22:17

Wardi - Not my idea  - thats what they are called! http://www.beet-it.com/sport/

14/02/2013 at 22:57

Must confess that I actually LIKE beetroot juice. I find it a tad nicer with a splash of lemon juice in it though, but if you really dislike it then no amount of lemon juice will change your mind! But I'd willingly drink it anytime, regardless of whether it supposedly benefits your training.

Oh and to steal a Pistrorius joke Jock Itch sent me earlier. It appears Emile Heskey also had a similar altercation with his missus this morning - but no harm done

I shall scurry off to the cloakroom forthwith

15/02/2013 at 06:47

Wow, the beetroot people have actual references to published and presumably peer-reviewed papers, and do actually make an nitrate-free placebo version to facilitate  studies. (No mention of placebo pies in their range, yet.)  Marigold -- shurely cheaper to buy a whole litre for £3? Though I don't know how the concentration differs. Alternatively, a bit of potassium nitrate fertiliser would be very much cheaper still... and that really can have explosive results (don't try any of that at home).

Clearly my slow legs this week are nothing to do with the 15M race at the weekend, but all about beetroot withdrawal as I've had none this week but did get through a litre in the week leading up to that race...

15/02/2013 at 07:08
CW - the shots have the same amount of nitrates as a standard 400ml bottle concentrated into 70ml. It also tastes much better with a bit of a kick to it rather than just sipping on "earthy" juice.
Anyway - during marathon training it's a good use of my beer money.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.