Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,961 to 93,980 of 107,320 messages
15/02/2013 at 13:07

CRAB haha!!!!

LD - I'm wondering if it's a first that sending a red rose and heart chocolates to your beloved brings about the end of the relationship?!

15/02/2013 at 13:36

HR - I suspect not, relationships end for all sorts of reasons, some of which seem very bizarre to me. Hope you're feeling OK.

PP - I'm not sure what concerns me more, the fact that you remembered you had a photo of that soup, or the fact that you took the photo in the first place!

15/02/2013 at 14:31

Padams - I'll have you know, there were several calls for my f***book Soup of the Week feature to become a regular blog.  I had to restrain myself in keeping them to a humble photo album! 

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 14:31
15/02/2013 at 14:49

Never heard of fuckbook before, surprised they have a Soup of the Week feature!

Icy here this morning, was going to do a tempo run but could hardly run at 8 min pace so had to do ice fartlek instead where you totter on the ice and leg it on the dry bits.  Was quite difficult to tell where one ended and the next began though.

HR - sorry to hear about your break up.

Padams - that was a decent lick for your club run.

Marigold - nice tempo.

15/02/2013 at 16:26

SL - I'll be at Bramley in a New Forest vest (white with horizontal green band)

Marigold - very nice oval tempo effort

Dan - Like the blog post & nice pics, don't think I'll be paying £20 for a copy some how 

TT - That's interesting to hear about the long MP tempo run. It's down a 'Medium Even Paced Continuous Run' in the Canova workouts, 1h-1h30' at 90% of MP. It appears in all the workout lists apart from fundemental phase aerobic power, so I'm guessing he rates it quite highly too. Factored a couple more into the plan every couple of weeks.

8M easy this morning, got a rest day tomorrow so it'll be over 48hrs of rest before sunday's MP session.

15/02/2013 at 17:56

Bit tired yesterday so did 5miles easy and faster run today, felt good with 2 miles steady at 6:30 pace, 3 miles bit quicker at 6:05 pace and 4 miles tempo - was aiming for 5:40 which felt pretty comfortable so picked it up a bit on the last one to 5:32 (+1 mile steady to finish).

Fastest 10k I've done as well (35:53) though haven't raced that distance since the summer. Also thinking of getting some racing flats, tried the adizero adios 2s which felt quite nice and was wondering what experience other people had with them/any alternatives - would be for 10k/hm road races and any faster training running?

15/02/2013 at 20:20
Bollicks. Too much booze. Hammered. Shitty f@clk f@clk. not looking good for my pArk run pb. Drat and buggery.
15/02/2013 at 20:27

As I tight arsed northerner I can highly recommend Aldi whole beetroot with no added extras! Just chop them up in me salads or my favourite drink is to liquidise them with ginger and lemon.

Not had drink this year until this week and slipped back into my over indulgent red wine drinking. So time for another rest.

As for my running after reading about how fast you lot are yet again, I feel under motivated to say very much other than I am hoping to hit 70 miles for this week. 

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend. 

OS
15/02/2013 at 20:56
LD. Perfect prep- sounds like a nailed on PB. (I assume you gave up on that other bloke and are now coached by Njord?)

My thoughts exactly, LJ. I probably need to get out more.

Sorry to hear of your woes, HR. hope it works out. Are you now living in the flatlands of the east? Can't be good for hill training.

I feel knackered after a busy few weeks, (not) helped by loads of exercise in last week including a 20m last Sunday, a flat out 5k on tuesday, a 30min mp run on thursday (both on treadmill), and a fair amount of shuffling about on ice. Rest day tomorrow.

Best wishes for any weekend racers.
OS
TR
15/02/2013 at 21:02

HR - shame about the gf, you obviosuly frightened her off. Although was that her posting this morning ?

PP- that soup looked hanging ! yuk !

SL - interesting on the deer seed, I'll try and harvest some next time I'm in the New Forest.

7M, 2k, 5M today. Backed up Sundays 20 with 5 more runs but they were only 5 to 7M and I only bagged 48M for the week. Need to up the mileage a bit !

oh well, its beerio o'clock soon.

15/02/2013 at 21:40

Nice triple TR, beerio time for me soon too.  I will try and 'just have a couple' as I am bound for the Parkrun a la Dids.  A steady 5m tonight to keep the legs turning over.

BTW Dids I ran a very hangover influenced Parkrun in early December - about 70 secs slower than usual but I did feel much better afterwards! 

Commiserations HR, hope you find another fish in the sea soon.

Good training paces Padams & Bufo.

I feel duty bound to announce that Mrs Wardi works in the IT Dept of a local pickle factory.  She can pick up a large jar of beetroot from the factory shop for around 15-20p!

15/02/2013 at 21:56

TR not her but might have been a relative of hers.

Thanks everyone. I will keep busy and wait to see if this fish swims back. It's all I want right now. I'm just up in East Anglia to see my mum. Back to London next week.

15/02/2013 at 23:03

PP - glad to be of assistance Tbh, the rate you're going it's only a matter of time before those long MP runs of yours start becoming these type of runs.

Al_P - you may remember I said previously that there was a big crossover between Lydiard and Canova (even though Canova is apparently loathe to admit it)? I've got a copy of Lydiard's 1962 edition of Run to the Top, which lists the training he had Barry do before Rome 1960 (incredible to read it and see what he could absorb tbh). Within that he done several runs of 15m @ 3/4 (a Canova 95%+ run) and several of 18m @ 1/2 (Canova 90-95% run). It can't be a coincidence that several coaches have hit upon the same thing. Incidentally, I trialled something similar before I got the book (I was looking at it as extending the 10m @ 1/2 runs) so got lucky in hitting on the same kind of idea. IIRC, BEJ was doing similar at the same time.

Nice day's total TR. I've been doing beerio o'clock with a rather smashing extra large bottle of Greenwich Ale. Very very nice!

15.7m on the way home with 75mins of fartlek. Partially structured (7 x 3mins fast/3mins jog) and another 33mins of unstructured to finish off. An average of 5:31m/m for the 7 x 3mins fast, but worked from 5:44m/m to 5:19m/m (though took advantage of any slight downhills to make those paces for HM-10k effort), and then the 33mins consisted of ~16mins of effort ranging from lamppost fartlek through uphills, downhills and finished with another 3mins fast (~5:20m/m pace again I think). Overall average for the 75mins was 6:31m/m, so very pleased with that for now, especially as the difference in how I felt running a week ago compared to now is immeasurable. For starters I'm actually getting comfortable with the concept of getting my finger out a bit again instead of just jogging.

Just shy of 94m for the 5 days so far, with a 2hr run on Sunday to round out the week.

16/02/2013 at 10:27
God that was tough. Ridiculous drinking last night. Didn't have masses, just a lot in a short space of time. Room was spinning when I got home. Apparently I ate a load of left over sausages and quarter of a full chocolate cake for my tea. Fell asleep and woke up on the settee at 3am.

Ran 5 painful miles to the park, and then a piss poor 18:14 for the 5K- although I did do a decent last mile and a half I think.
16/02/2013 at 10:43

10M last night and 10M this morning to leave the small question of the Bramley 20 tomorrow (I'll be the one who bears a more than passing resemblance to my avatar...).  I don't think 20M flat out worked for me in 2010, so plan is 7 @ 8.05 (MP + 20%), 7 @ 7.25 (MP + 10%) and 6 @ 6.45 (PMP).  Still sounds quite scary and tough!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
16/02/2013 at 11:00
I've tried the double of 20+ miles yesterday followed by parkrun this morning. The 20 was solid enough, the parkrun wasn't pretty but fortunately nobody wanted to take it on first lap and I was moving easily enough on the second lap to sneak the win, albeit in a time that made LD's 'piss poor' effort look like a marigold special.

Bike tomorrow I think.
16/02/2013 at 11:30
Well done CD!
16/02/2013 at 11:43
Celebrity psychologist Geoffrey Beattie (recently sacked by Manc Uni for gross misconduct. You may remember him from early series of Big Brother) was running in the Parkrun today. He brought out a book with his son Ben last year. (Ben may be familiar to Yorkshire based runners?)

It's a lot about their shared obsession with running, Geoffrey's affairs and secret other family, Geoffrey abandoning Ben on the freezing moors after dark so he could get a run in, Ben hating his Dad, Geoffrey's wife falling under a train and losing an arm etc.

Looks a real uplifting experience.

http://m.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/scotland/interview-geoffrey-beattie-author-of-chasing-lost-times-a-father-and-son-reconciled-through-running-1-2292303
16/02/2013 at 13:39

Was thinking of doing Abingdon parkrun this morning as I was staying there last night, but decided instead to run the 9 mile loop of the Abingdon marathon instead.  Having DNF'd at about 17 miles in October, I think that gives me a marathon positive split of about 4 months  

16/02/2013 at 13:48
LD - which was nice ;o)

Looks like Mo is going for a Dan A. Can't understand that. Sounds a bit disrespectful to me.

As you were.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.