Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

93,981 to 94,000 of 107,328 messages
16/02/2013 at 14:55

TR - Brighton HM. Might be a tad breezy but I'm hoping to have a go at my PB (72:48).  Will be a similar tactic to Chichester, with two of us trying to drag each other round.

16/02/2013 at 15:05

TR - just out of interest, what are your best 10k times like? It sounds like you are an accomplished HM, M runner and I'd be interested to see what your conversions are like as you have previously said you do not consider yourself to be speedy. 

TR
16/02/2013 at 15:30

PP - on yes, I forgot that. Chance of a SW wind, I guess its sea front based too. You could bag a big PB still.

MG - not me dude, I'm not certainly not an accomplished runner. I rarely race when I'm running fit (which is only usually around VLM time), and the odd other race through the year is just done as that days training.

16/02/2013 at 15:38
TR - may still hit 100 miles for this week. Alcohol has been consumed too much though. Just been and got some Singha for tonight and Monday night is Lee Scratch Perry outing, so the trend may continue. I think I'm at that point when I'm a bit bored with training and need the intervals to start.... Which should be end of next week.

Is Mo Farah a bit "nice .... but dim"?
16/02/2013 at 16:27

signing off for 8 days, week's ski-ing then straight from Gatwick to Wembley to see the mighty Swans  

Went out to do a hilly 17M this morning, but felt better than expected so did 21.6 averaging out @ 8mm pace, the flattest 6 near the end was 4 x 7'12 then 2 x 6'41 (someone on heels), giving 60 for the last 5 days and the week. And possibly 60 more than next week ... hopefully I can find a gym for two or three evening treadmill jogs but if not then it's a week of cross training.

Good luck to those racing at Bramley, Brighton & elsewhere tomorrow.

Dids - no idea how you can do 100 miles on an alcoholic week! Enjoy the sewing tonight.

Agree with CRAB about Mo.

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 16:41
16/02/2013 at 17:09

That is not a bad pacemaker to halfway....publicity stunt, rather than disrespectful in my book.

Good luck to those racing tomorrow. I'm doing to a half in LA tomorrow....nice weather for it. I sat next to will.i.am on the flight over, it must have been the highlight of his day...

16/02/2013 at 18:19
Why do people get their knickers in a twist and call stuff like that disrespectful? He's just won 2 golds at the Olympics, his market value for running London will never be higher so he cashes in handsomely for an hour's work and gets used to the big marathon mosphere which benefits him for when he does it for real and vlm get to cash in on his fame too, plus we might get a glimpse of his little bald head disappearing into the distance and LD gets to name drop that he's raced Mo, seems like everyone wins to me.

Well done to the parkrunners LD and CD.

Very nice longish run TT.

TR - you do lots of other aerobic exercise so a bit more running and you'll be fine.

Good luck to all the racers tomorrow.

Hungover 4 and 13 for me today and a long one tomorrow will bring up another ton. Might even put some effort into tomorrow's run.
16/02/2013 at 18:44

I am hoping Mo does have to wear a black and white striped pacemaker's vest.  It would be classy.  Although I suspect his kit sponsors would have something to say about that.  Mostly consisting of the words 'not' and 'definitely'.

16/02/2013 at 19:01
No Bramley for me tomorrow. Foot still sore and swollen and only got my first bit of exercise in since last Sunday this morning when I got out for a few hours on the bike and it was great weather, with a loop around box hill. Should be nice for CD if he gets this weather in 2 weeks at the B/buster. Not sure when I'll next be able to run but looks like maybe another week out (I hope).

Hope those at Bramley go well, PP at Brighton and Coro in LA.
OS
16/02/2013 at 19:17
I am with CRAB. London is a circus, but it does have a proper race at the front of it, and the last time i looked it wasnt a half marathon. As in the doping debate, sport either matters or it doesn't. If it does then you just shouldn't mess about with it. If Mo wants to promote himself, his sponsors or Mr Branson, he should find a way to do it that doesn't contravene the spirit of sport. For example, he could pace a 2 45 group.

Interesting discussion in the press today from wada about athletics being next to fall after cycling.
OS
16/02/2013 at 19:23
LuckyJim - yeah, really look forward to seeing hundreds of Champs runners doing the Mo Bot to try to get on telly at the start.
Sadly I won't be there. Suffering the ignominy of the GFA start. They had better start the celebs where I will be starting from.... Otherwise I'll have feck all to say in the Red Lion. Unless I make something up like Coro just did.
16/02/2013 at 19:39
OS - I do tend to agree, but what is the London Marathon? A weird mixture of elites and people in turtle costumes. It's not a proper event like the Olympics. But what he is doing does tend to detract from it. What if Man U dropped out of the FA Cup after the next round to concentrate on other things. If they've got a spare place why not give it to someone who'd love to finish it?

Like I said earlier, I don't think he's very bright. This will have been someone else's idea, and he'll just go with it.
16/02/2013 at 20:05

Evening all,

I'm not too fussed either way whether Mo want's to use my A race as a training run or not, Mrs M seems to be quite excited though that she will get to see him while pretending to watch me on VLM day. 

Coro - Cool travel partner! Good luck in your race, make sure you beat lots of L.A stars so you can come back and beat LD at his own game.

My normal race plans at this time of year would see me doing a stupidly complicated MP session in the Bramley 20 tomorrow but with my "icing before the cake baking" plan this year, I'll be giving it full beans in a local 10 mile race instead. It's being used as an Inter-county 10 mile race between Dorset and Wiltshire so I'll be donning the fetching all green vest of Dorset tomorrow rather than my usual yellow and blue.

Should be a good race as well as I know one of the Wiltshire team is SImon Plummer from Salisbury who can kick my arse at all distances apart from the marathon. Don't fancy my chances much but I'm going to give it a damn good try!

Good luck to everyone else racing tomorrow

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 20:06
16/02/2013 at 20:18

Dids.. a very respectable 5k after an evening on the sauce! 

Nice Parkrun win for CD noted, those must have been heavy legs.

TT.. that's a very impressive commute last night!

Jools.. I have every confidence on you getting around Bramley so I must say in advance that I will be very impressed with 40 miles in 3 days! 

TR.. true grit spending 2 hours in the garage.

Best of luck to Coro & PP for their half-maras tomorrow, and I hope Marigold avoids getting his arse kicked

Nice 21m this morning Simon.

LJ.. another week of very decent mileage, good stuff.

Healing vibes to JH1.

Lovely morning at the York Parkrun, a mixture of sun & mist on the racecourse.  Managed a 20sec improvement over last week with 20:10.  I put this entirely down to the compression socks on both legs & arms, a nasal strip, pint of beetroot juice for breakfast and a gel every kilometre. 

Club XC in the morning which should be a right old mudlark.

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 20:22
16/02/2013 at 21:08

To be frank, Mo can do no wrong in my eyes (unless he pulls a Pistorius, or equivalent) as he's the only athlete to bring me to tears (of joy). Certainly 4th August 2012 was awesome because of Rutherford and Ennis too, but I can't ever imagine anything that would hold a candle to the electrifying roar of the crowd as Farah delivered the goods at the Olympic statdium that night. Still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it.

16/02/2013 at 22:01
LD - I'm already practising jumping really high and doing the Mobot at the same time so that I can definitely get on telly.

Simon - great long run, enjoy skiing.

Wardi - good improvement at the Parkrun.
16/02/2013 at 22:22

MG3 - I'm afraid that I have no idea what your original question was.  Looking at yYour schedule (and I'm aware that it's a one week sample so possibly not wholly representative).  Overall the schedule looks like a reasonable jack of all road races plan but not very specific to the demands of the marathon.

• the Wednesday run could do with being longer to build endurance
  • I wonder at the pace and purpose of the 400's on Tuesday
  • I don't see any marathon pace runs there - in fact I don't see much of anything that's close to marathon pace if you're looking for 2:45.

Just my 2 cents and as the slowest runner who posts on this thread feel free to ignore

I don't think that running part of a marathon as a training run is unheard of - it's just not usually someone with Mo's profile.

Wardi - nice parkrun.  I suspect it was the gels every kilometre that did it for you.

HR - Sorry to hear your news.  There's only one CRAB though!

Marigold - Good luck tomorrow.  I know it's not flat but might you just eke out a PB?

JH1 - Get well soon!

Jools - I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on at Bath - this could be your year!

Zattu - That's a really interesting translation of Lydiard's paces to Canova's ones.  I've always wondered what the equivalent was.  Had thought at one stage that 3/4 would be close to HM pace but then thought it might be a bit tough even for the elites.  Some suggest that Lydiard would have had marathon runners doing VO2 type work in the last few weeks leading up to the marathon whereas Canova would focus on speeds just above and below the target marathon pace.  I've read the presentation that Nobby put together that is floating around the internet but I've never seen a specific schedule that Lydiard put together for somebody training for a marathon so I can't really compare the two approaches.

The (very nasty) lurgy I picked up towards the end of January still hasn't fully gone and family stuff has also got in the way of my feeble attempts to train. I tried a hard 5 mile run today (think the frustration just got the better of me).  7:09, 7:26 and 7:50 followed by an early stop because of a sore right hip tells it's own story.  Think I'll return to being sensible for a few weeks.

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 22:22
16/02/2013 at 23:00
clearly - I have a reasonable chance of a 10 mile PB even with the hills as it's almost exactly the same pace as my marathon PB, really need to sort that out!
17/02/2013 at 02:21

That is not a bad pacemaker to halfway....publicity stunt, rather than disrespectful in my book.

Good luck to those racing today (still tomorrow with me). I'm doing a half in LA tomorrow....nice weather for it. I sat next to will.i.am on the flight over, it must have been the highlight of his day...

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 02:30
TR
17/02/2013 at 11:40

Look like Coro has out done Dids on the name dropping, see if you can get Will.i.am to introduce me to Fergie will you ?

Lat week I did 20M on 2:41 up on the hill, today I did an extra climb and made 22M last 2:46. SHame I wasnt a bit wiser to make it last 2:5X, I think I was a bit quicker as I borrowed Pete Jacobs session of doing a stride approx every mile after about 5M, felt a bit strange doing strides after ~20M though.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.