Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

94,001 to 94,020 of 109,494 messages
17/02/2013 at 12:12

I've been off here for a couple of days, but good luck to today's racers and nice long run there TR.

I tried out my new candidate VLM shoes on Fri, the New Balance MRC1600, and they were fine -- did 2x2M @ 6:08/M within an 8M commute to work, to give them a bit of representative speed at least (generally a bit weary last week though -- total 64M, another big week by my standards).

And as I raced last weekend, I wanted to do a proper LSR again this weekend. 27.6M @ 7:23/M average, including 18xCastle Hill, then the full course of the Cambridge half in 1hr35 (doing that in 3 weeks), and a bit extra. Marathon split was 3hr13 so not pushing it at all, but pleased that the last mile and a bit was still 7:26/M and while I was feeling a bit light-headed at the end, I was still running on pretty normal legs.

Mo mania! I'm sufficiently lightweight that I'll enjoy peeking at the back of that bald head and telling people I'll be lining up with him this year -- and it will be very interesting of course to see what he can do when he does it for real. So I'm with marmite & Marigold -- bring him on.

17/02/2013 at 12:21

Nice long runs TR and CW!

Nice with Will.I.Am coro!

Nice parkruns Wardi, CD and LD.

I think it's sensible for Mo to run a bit of one if he's got the opportunity. It's an easy way to rehearse race morning prep under race conditions.

18m this morning in just over 2hrs. Felt frisky after covering the first 4m @ 7:39, so covered the next 14 @ 6:26 feeling nice and relaxed. Amazing the difference a week makes. Fingers crossed for more of the same over the coming weeks!

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 12:22
17/02/2013 at 13:54

Will read back in a tick, but quick Bramley report: 2.24.37. I can claim 5s for getting stuck behind the sodding sweeper van (it was at 9.5M, I was at 19.5M before the wisecracks start...) but the main thing I learnt is that running races progressively is really fun. 7M @ what was supposed to be 8.05s but came out a bit faster; 7M at what was supposed to be 7.25s but came out a bit faster; 6M at what was supposed to be 6.45s and came out pretty much bang on (the good news had to end somewhere). Overtaking all the way And thanks to whoever it was (Stuart, maybe?) who shouted 'chick him, Jools' at 19.9M. Naturally, one obliged

Sorry I didn't hang around to say hello to anyone, but I realised I could make the 1.14 train as I'd finished 4 or 5 minutes earlier than planned, so I made a swift exit. Nice to catch up with SL briefly at the start and hope everyone else had good runs!

A.W
17/02/2013 at 14:04

Pretty nice day out there for racing today, Hope people involved in Bramley and elsewhere have had good runs today.

Well run at Bramley Joolska.

Nice runs TR, CW and ZaTTU, and well Parkran Wardi, CD and LD.

After the disappointment of being ill and missing Wokingham last week, I've actually had a decent weeks training. Total of 67 miles - biggest this year, including a good set of 10 x 800's, a nice progressive and fartlek session and a fairly comfortable 22 miler today in 7.39m/m.

Well into the second half of my schedule for Paris now, so just another month of heavy stuff and then into taper.

A.W
17/02/2013 at 14:13

Wardi: I think it's the cumulative effect of everything you tried which worked.  Do the same again next week for another guaranteed improvement.  After all, the front page of the RW website is offering a link to an article entitled 'think yourself thin', so why not kid yourself fast with cod science?  Seriously, nice improvement.  Good to see you back on track.

Hope Marigold had a good run and now possesses a 10M pb which is faster than MP.  Even I can manage that

17/02/2013 at 14:20

Well run at Bramley Jools!

Nice week AW.

Clearly - forgot to respond earlier; if you want to see what the original marathon schedule looked like drop me a message with your email and I can send it onto you. Fingers crossed you feel better soon.

17/02/2013 at 15:03
Fantastic running Jools, you can't beat spending a whole 20 mile race passing people can you you'll be glad to hear my 10 mile PB is now a little faster than MP!
I didn't get my arse kicked. Mr Plummer ran a course record...... but so did I
51:46 for the win on a pretty damn hilly course, after Simon put in a 4:42 first mile (downhill) I thought I was in trouble but held strong on the hills and made a gap at 7 miles. Full report later in my weekly summary for those so inclined.
17/02/2013 at 15:53

Great stuff, Marigold - looks like you're coming into form at the perfect time.  9 weeks to go

TR
17/02/2013 at 16:10

CW - I still think you're crackers doing ~30mins extra time on feet but I know you like those runs, for confidence so well done.

Marigold - nice one, impressive win there.

Jools - are you happy with that ? You must have a build up race planned as a race soon for a marker ?

17/02/2013 at 16:27

Cheers TR

Lets hope not too early Jools!

Weekly Summary now up http://www.steveway.co.uk/?p=915

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 16:27
17/02/2013 at 16:33

TR: plan is to ease back for the Bath Half in 2 weeks' time, although stupidly I didn't go for a reserved entry with a start pen right at the front (available for sub 90 ladies) so will have to ensure I get a decent starting position in the first main pen if I'm to have any chance of a decent time on what can be a congested course.  3-4 more big weeks after Bath (65-70M) and then taper time.  Pleased with today's run; brings up 68M for the week including a hill session and a hardish 20M.

17/02/2013 at 17:12

Awesome 10 mile from Marigold; looks very promising for VLM so far.

Top bombing today at Bramley from SL & Al_P, plus from a few semi-regular and former posters too.  Well done Jools - was expecting you to come up to my shoulder during the last 5 today.

Bad day at the office for me at Bramley.  Six consecutive weeks of 70-100 miles plus a half PB last week finally caught me up.  Plan was to run 2.10 in 4 lots of 34, 33, 32, 31 min  5-milers, but ended up 33, 34, 33, 36 for 2.16.  Six mins slower than target and a full 14 mins slower than last year.  However, 20 miles at 6.48 avg isn't the worst training run ever.  Just need to take the hint, let the body recover and be in top mara shape in 4 weeks time.  (in 2010 I dropped out of Bramley at 10 miles after a good race the week before, then ran a 2.45 mara three weeks later, so it's not without precedent).

17/02/2013 at 17:16

After a two mile warm up I stole Jools' paces for my progressive 30k. The first 10k was supposed to be 8.05s but came out distinctly faster due to it being largely downhill with a tailwind and having company to chat with. The middle 10k was supposed to be 7.25s,  I may have been a tiny bit slower on average though, it's all very up and down in the middle and it's difficult to gauge the effort level. The final 10k is essentially the first 10k  in reverse - so all uphill and into the wind. If I work out the average pace over that full 10k I'll probably be there or thereabouts, but none of last 6.2 miles were actually AT marathon pace. One was probably as slow as 7.15, while the last 1.2 were under 6.20. A painful ploddy cool down gave me 22 miles for the day. Beautiful sunny day for a long run in the countryside, even it it was a hilly one!

That brings me to 79 for the week and a cutback to absorb it all in next week. 

17/02/2013 at 18:24

Wow, Speedy - awesome run at the end of a big week.  Sounds like your course was much tougher than Bramley; I did chuckle when I heard some people describe it as undulating.  OK, it's not pancake flat, but the inclines aren't enough to really affect pacing!

Sorry to hear you had a tough day at the office, DanA, but you seem to have a pretty good idea of the cause, so enjoy your taper.

17/02/2013 at 18:46

Ooh.. if that is a 10m PB for you Marigold well done indeed & congrats on the win.  No arse kicking is good news too!

Charlie.. wow, 27m is a long morning out!  Out of interest did you have any brekkie before that sort of time out?

A W.. that's a good week of training after illness, good to see you are still on track.

DanA.. sorry it didn't quite go to plan (still a good time!) but you do seem to have a sensible plan re. recovery. 

CC2.. cracking 22m today, nice final section.  79m for the week is very good too!

Jools.. nicely run at Bramley, that looks like a very decent progressive run.  Thanks for the encouragement, I'm not training for anything particular at the moment so the lack of pressure is nice.  Good luck with getting a flyer at Bath, you're the right size for getting through gaps!

6.66m club xc race today.  A bit of a quagmire after Weds/Thurs melting snow & rain.  Pleased enough to average 7:15 on this sort of terrain given the fact that I ran the Parkrun flat out yesterday.  Gorgeous day for it, stuck another 4m on afterwards to enjoy the weather. 

TR
17/02/2013 at 19:13

Jools - you shouldnt be to far from the front, I guess you'll be aiming 1:23 ish ?

DanA - blimey, saving yourself in a 20M race, whatever next ! 

9 weeks to go ? starting to change my mind a bit from there's still plenty of time, to I need to be doing a bit more on weekdays now. Would like to run the Salisbury 10 in 3 weeks, but not sure it'd be wise though.

TR
17/02/2013 at 19:32

A view of the results shows that there were lots of familar names at Bramley and a couple very high up the Brighton 1/2 results, inc someone on top of the Brighton Podium. Looks like Goldrush ran at Bramley today, anyone see him ?

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 19:32
17/02/2013 at 20:47
TR - Coro only out name dropped me because I couldn't be bothered to recount the time I set next to Ian Rush back from Belfast, or had an awkward conversation with Morrissey on a flight from Cork.

Did a 20 miler at ave of 6.47/mile earlier. The middle 13 miles at an ave of 6:35 with a low heart rate. That's sub 2:45 form in my book at this stage.

Just back from the disappointment of a 4-0 drubbing at the Ethiad, and a Guinness sorrow drowning session in the pub afterwards. Going to have a rest day tomorrow, and enjoy the legendary reggae man that is Mr Perry.

Then, it's interval time - this year I shall mostly doing 1.5 mile cruise intervals.
17/02/2013 at 21:08

Lots of nice running.  I did very little this week as I raced the Inter Services XC on Wed won by Ben Livesey and I was near the back but won me my Royal Navy vest. Ave HR was close to 95%.

Today I came 5th at the Portsmouth Coastal Half.  Muddy 3.5-7 section and a few of us ran an extra 0.3 mile (2-3 min) due to poor signage.  A PB 1:23:13 officially although closer to 1:21 is probably more truthful over the distance.  We went through 5 in 29:10 (PB) and 10 in 1:03 (PB 1:01 without detour).  Ave HR was uner 90%.

This week I will return to my Tri training having entered the Outlaw at last.  I'm running well for only 30-40 mile a week but 8hrs total training time.  I need to set some goals so will start focusing on swimming if I am going to do myself justice in Nottingham.   

Sub 3 is looking like a possibility.

17/02/2013 at 21:17

Bramley for me today.  Quite pleased with a progessive affair on moderately tired legs (55m very hilly on the bike yesterday).  I must have passed DanA at some point but failed to spot him (I now wear a bright orange Woking vest so very easy to spot me).

5m chunks were approximately 36, 34, 31, 29.5 for 2.10.38.  I agree with Jools - running progressively can be a lot of fun.

Some other cracking results today.  Particularly interesting to see the Brighton half scores.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.