Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

94,141 to 94,160 of 105,620 messages
20/02/2013 at 17:02
It must be said that a couple of years ago Mo Farah was just a plucky British loser. In my wildest dreams I would never have imagined he'd get anywhere near a gold medal.

In fact, I'm still unsure (because I don't know running that well) whether he actually got a bit lucky. Where were the likes of Gebressaillaise this year?

I always felt the same with regard to Kelly Homes actually. Her races just played right to her strengths.

Can this dirty Algerian bloke be comparable with these two British darlings?

If he'd beaten Rudisha in the 800m, then they could have immediately hung him from the nearest tree.
20/02/2013 at 17:29

Dammit.  Will have to postpone this evening's run until tomorrow morning due to only just finishing in court and having a rehearsal to get to shortly, which means effectively 2 rest days on the trot, but I dare say a run early tomorrow morning may help loosen the legs up for the Prom Run tomorrow evening.

Blisters    pirate
20/02/2013 at 18:53

Jools, just make sure you know where the handbrake is.
Otherwise you'll be reporting a storming sprint up Clifton Downs, and a wobbly legged fiasco at Weston Prom.

20/02/2013 at 20:55

Nice 17 LJ though half a mark deducted for doing it in daylight.    Good to see OS got his 20 done as well, and a decent paced MLR from Postie.

Some fine sessions from Padams, Al P & PP, good work fellas.

13m commute home in the dark, a bit raw at 1-2 degrees but still showed northern grit by donning shorts.

Good luck in the Prom run Jools, is that the 5 mile race?

Interesting debate on drugs issues, though my overriding thought is the possible perfomance enhancing qualities of Lord Dids' pile cream??

CL
20/02/2013 at 21:28
Must say, I thought it looked a bit disrespectful to re-focus the London Marathon on one runner who isn't running it. Have they said whether he will just calmly step off on the Highway and get the tube home or if they'll have a temporary finish there? Does look like excessive sponsor interference - imagine what Branson will do with the NHS?

HR/PP - It's still The Lord Palmerston to me. Good beer. Bit dear for (high quality) pub food I think.

One week on and still struggling with a very sore achilles. Took three days off but on hols in Suffolk this week and determined to take advantage of lovely running conditions, so have plodded round in some discomfort each day. Not quite ready to hand the number back, but not optimistic.
20/02/2013 at 21:34
Wardi - sadly it is performance enhancing in so far as it can be feckin agony without. Should have had em sorted years ago - running does nowt for them.
20/02/2013 at 21:54

Ah yes - middle of Febuary.... too far away from race day for the adrenaline to be taking over but far enough into heavy training for full on marathon training fatigue to be taking hold.

Knackered!

I'm sure the focus for VLM will be just the same as usual, concentrating on a handful of 2:04 runners for the whole of the race , a limited last minute catch up with the lead Brits for 5 minutes and then cutting away from the finish line at exacty 2hrs 18min before some twat with yellow/ginger hair comes across the finish line. The last 3 hrs of the coverage will then be covering the real stars of the day and their rather splendid costumes........ not bitter me

TR
20/02/2013 at 22:25

Al_P - looks like a very timely blister to me then.

Postie - do bathroom doors have a blood supply then ? Mine hasnt, maybe thats why it squeeks a bit !

London was heaving as usual, didnt see anyone famous, although I wouldnt recognise any of Dids famous mates anyway.

CL
20/02/2013 at 22:28
LD - I'm hanging out for that 'Germoloids' sponsorship
20/02/2013 at 23:17
CL - after years of achilles niggles (and two compromised London campaigns), I went to see a podiatrist to get custom orthotics and have now had 5mths of niggle free running!! Just a thought.

Evening all.
CL
20/02/2013 at 23:44
RM - Interesting. I've avoided seeing physios etc, partly for cost and partly because people often seem to just get confirmation of what they know. However this problem does seem to come from running in spikes on hard ground, so some podiatrist help might work. Cheers - hope to see you in Deptford.
21/02/2013 at 07:10
Oscar P probably can't believe his luck right now. The SA police are really the Keystone Cops. What a farce.
21/02/2013 at 07:43

Hmm, charges reinstated yesterday? That sounds convenient. Without knowing the truth of the matter, having the best legal team money can buy (including apparently a former Scum editor as spin doctor) must help in these situations. HR's Blackadder quote could be quite relevant. Is Oscar the new OJ?

And on the doping side, if Armstrong got away with it for so long then there's no reason why any other successful athlete, training group or sports team couldn't be cheating. It comes down to whether you have faith in them or not.

21/02/2013 at 07:55

LD - I agree that Mo perhaps got a bit lucky that the field was not quite as strong last year as it had been in previous years (e.g. Bekele, Haile, Tergat etc.). But that doesn't really matter, he still did the job! Similarly with Kelly, I think she won just by being more intelligent than the others. If someone had been running like Dibaba is at the 1500m at the moment she would have been blown away.

Couldn't face going out in the freezing cold again for the pursuits last night, so another 80mins on the turbo inc. 2x20min (270W for anyone interested). I tried wearing a HRM for the first time in ages - still struggle to get the HR up on the bike, but better than last year. Was able to hit 75% of max for a 20min effort, and that wasn't max effort.

21/02/2013 at 10:05

LJ - none taken mate. Love a good debate on drugs, and guess I'm just saddened at the way running (and cycling) have continuously been undermined by revelation after revelation, particularly in the light of more advanced testing.  The number of Russians who have been exposed retrospectively this year alone is enough for me to take the world champs away from them in 2013. It's as bad as the East Germans of the 70's.

Media don't need to worry about Mo.  The big story will be whether the sub 3 pacer can go sub 3.

Marigold - if the director cuts away from the finish line at 2.18, you know what to do.  Just pull your finger out man and get there earlier.

16m last night.  Utterly bored of the cold weather.  Somehow I managed to run into the wind the entire way.  Twas my 13th run over over 15 miles this year.  Will do 22 on Saturday, then start a 3 week taper.

btw, I think Oscar is going to get off. Too much doubt already.  He could retire from athletics and take up biathlon.  Easy enough to get some sort of ski attachment to his legs, and he's already well practiced in the shooting. 

21/02/2013 at 10:21

CL - Sorry to hear you've got half a cheek on the bench.  All the best.

Marigold - You need to take your media-whoring skills up another notch.  I reckon a blue stripe in the canary yellow hair this year, and they might leave the cameras rolling for another minute or so.  Or just hurry up, like Dan says!

Dan - Nice effort.  Constant-wind runs (chilly weren't it!) are character building.

Padams - I don't suppose wattage is properly comparable when I'm on an exercise bike with trainers and rubbery pedals, but I repeated my 2 x 20m (10m ~240W, 10mins ~260W, 100rpm) yesterday lunchtime and for a laugh had a sprint for the last minute or so, managing to eek out a measly 355W max. I'm sure with some carbon-soled racing shoes and a razor-blade saddle I could've maintained 400W for 60 minutes. 

Also tried out my new (Chichester V40 prize) Brooks Defyance on an easy run last night.  Seemed OK, a little less springy than Nike Zoom Elite but very comfy, and I'm sure the extra 6g weight will have a beneficial training effect at least equal to a daily shot of beetroot juice.

Edited: 21/02/2013 at 10:29
21/02/2013 at 11:04

Marigold - run next to Mo for the first few miles, rumour is there will be the odd camera on him...

21/02/2013 at 12:31

Oh no, CL, hope they get better. I had a bit of achilles trouble a couple of years ago and do some 'heel drops' on the stairs every morning as part of my ever-lengthening preventative exercise campaign now. As I understand it, tendons and ligaments repair themselves with a quick bodge of scar tissue initially, but actually need some stress to then replace that with pukka ordered tissue, hence the heel drops.

My "performance combo" MLR this morning wasn't too good. The 4x0.5M to start with -- should be around 5:15/M when I'm fit -- averaged 5:48/M, not even HMP, with my usual 2kg rucksack (with a bit of headwind, to be generous). Then 8M @ 6:35/M to give 13.1M @ 6:39/M average overall. When I'm fit, the average is more like 6:20/M for that kind of run. So I'm a bit sluggish overall, and my peak speed is absoultely non-existent; hope that's because I've now clocked 66M for the week, whereas in the past I would be quite fresh for such runs, and that it will all come good with some tapering and sharpening. The only crumb of encouragement I have is that the 15M race 10 days ago actually went pretty well.

Like ES I have a half in 2.5 weeks; plan was to do one more high miles week next week before dropping massively to taper for the half, but now I'm tempted to do a lower-miles, more speed-intensive week next week to (I hope) restore my fragile confidence... I suppose in the past, my low-mileage, multi rest-day regime meant I was always reasonably fresh for tough sessions, so I'm not used to what should perhaps be normal, i.e. finding training performance distinctly impaired by overall mileage until tapering or backing off. All this self-pity and I'm still at about half the mileage of the big boys!

21/02/2013 at 12:43

Charlie: the much higher mileage will slow your training paces.  In the words of the great and sorely missed Douglas Adams: Don't Panic!  The taper will mean you come good in time for the big day.

Phil: I'd say the problem with the shoes is that the Brooks Shoe Naming Department can't spell.

Marigold: I've definitely got late February marathon training blues.  At least next week is a cut back week for Bath

CL: I'm another who needed orthotics to sort what had become a long line of injuries, including AT issues.  IIRC one of the main difficulties is the poor blood supply and so simply icing it doesn't help in the same way as it would for a sprain or strain.  I seem to recall that rest, stretching (both the calf and 'pinching' the tendon itself) plus the eccentric loading exercises did also help resolve it.

8M very easy for me this morning and am spending my day out of court doing some much neglected housework.  Bleurgh.

21/02/2013 at 12:56

Charlie - it's all over mate. Retirement is the only thing that can help you now.

Orthotics - I have worn em for the past 10 years. I was getting some foot pain which the orthotics cleared up pretty quickly (and the same happened to me in the late 80s).

However, I do often question whether they are that necessary. I used to get loads of calf injuries and I grew out of them over time. Ditto sciatica. Would the foot pain not have gone too?

Am I not just carrying a bit of unwanted weight in my shoes?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.