Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

94,221 to 94,240 of 107,989 messages
23/02/2013 at 13:37
TR - transition from speed to marathon specific happens after the Bath Half next week. I then have 5 weeks of just 2 hard runs a week (instead of 3) but the two hard runs will both be long runs (20 ish) on Wednesday and Sunday and will both include over 60min of hard effort but the speed work with all be within the range of MP +/- 15s. A lot of the Sunday sessions will be incorporated into a race like MM20
23/02/2013 at 14:38

Marigold - very nice, will be interesting to see what you can do at Bath. Surely for a celebrity such as yourself, a pic in AW is not really noteworthy?

Snowing again this morning here, so another road ride missed. 3 hours on the turbo instead inc. 4x30mins at moderate effort (230W). It actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting to be sat there for that long.

A local club organises marathon training runs with water stations etc., so going to do that tomorrow - 17M plus a mile to two before or after hopefully. Can't wait for the cake provided at the finish!

23/02/2013 at 16:26
Marigold - that's a fair run, shame you didn't dip under 15 though.

Seems I've recovered from bramley as I've just ran a 5mile pb, bang on 26mins.

I've got a CW confidence boaster planned for tomorrow!!
23/02/2013 at 17:53

Nice one, SL - which 5M was that?

From the photos I've seen I'm quite glad I had a concert today and couldn't do the National XC.  Conditions look even worse than the Mids XC and a total mudbath!

23/02/2013 at 17:56

Busy couple of days running. Two 13 milers yesterday at MP +15%, then a 20 miler today at a very easy pace catching up with an old friend this morning. This mornings run was a fat burner in a snow blizzzard. So within 24 hours I have run 46 miles, which felt like a nice way to mix up the training a little.

From the top of Penshaw Hill I could see them setting up from the national XC championship race. There was at least 3 inches of snow on the course. Luckily I do not feel the need to take part in XC races.

Edited: 23/02/2013 at 17:58
23/02/2013 at 18:01

SL - My road 5k PB is just under 15 anyway so I can live with it! Nice one on the 5 miler!!

TR
23/02/2013 at 18:50

Marigold - I see,  2 x 20 each week both with MP. I guess you can include MP in them now as its time to build towards a peak more.

Padams - impressive turbing, esp inc 30min reps. Beats me by 60mins !

SL - nice to see your legs have come back after Bramley

TB - great stuff, 2x13 on Friday backed up with a 20 today. CW did you see that ?

23/02/2013 at 20:37

The National wasn't too bad actually. Admittedly I did come out of it looking like I'd been bog snorkelling in my vest and shorts, but it was much easier to run than the Midlands. Parts of it weren't too bad at all, and the worst parts were pretty much the same as the best parts of the Stafford Common course. I didn't race all out - got a 10k next Sunday I want to blast out a PB in (ever hopeful), but my pace was 40 seconds per mile faster than at the Midlands, and it was 2km longer. I just scraped inside the top 100 with 99th out of 427 ladies and a free mud pack thrown in. Not sure it will do my hair much good but my legs should be super soft now.

CL
23/02/2013 at 20:52
I don't think I've had an injury free marathon build up and if I did I'd probably think I'd not pushed hard enough. Most runners seem to be on the 'glass half empty' side.

Having had a painful couple of weeks it is a bit touch and go, but still hangimg in there. If I'm running properly by next week and have a brilliant March, I'll run. If not I'll just use the accumulated fitness to break PBs at every distance over the summer. Bit 'glass half full', that.

Boriing hour on the cross trainer yesterday. Cold, slow 10 miles round the parks today.
CL
23/02/2013 at 21:20
Well done CC2 - top 100 not full out!
CL
23/02/2013 at 22:23
http://www.athleticos.org/coverage/250516-2013-National-Cross-Country-Championships/video/695888-Senior-Men-National-XC-2013

This looks tough -well done if you ran it
24/02/2013 at 07:49
Jools - just a time trial with a training partner around a pancake flat loop in Kingston Seymour.
24/02/2013 at 11:11

CL -- crikey, it really is grim up north there! Well raced in that mire, CC2. (And good luck with the achilles CL.)

SL -- my mind boggles at what a confidence-booster means for you...

Good miles TR, with the swims and bikes too. TB's awesome exploits hadn't escaped my notice! You're going to give me a rollocking for burning matches myself today, but I've pumped up my fragile confidence left, right and centre when I was wondering if the unaccustomed big miles had just left me sluggish and feeble, especially looking back last night at runs I felt I couldn't do now in the run-up to Abo2010 (2:43 on about 40mpw)...

... so today with no rucksack, no head-torch, no tracky bottoms, race shoes, HRM for first time in about a year, after a day off with some extra carbs, two gels in the proceedings, and after my weight suddenly dropped about 2lb on Fri (Vicks First Defence seems to do it? ;- ) I did:
    5x{0.5M avg 5:16/M, 0.5M light + form drills},  (~5K pace, peak 160 bpm)
    few miles easy to bring it up to 10M so far, pit stop + 2 gels
    10M in 60:43 (6:04/M) feeling actually enjoyable, 153 bpm/86% stable
    6.22M @ 7:05/M now feeling easy, marathon split 2:53:xx
    1 for luck, total 27.1M in 3hr (6:38/M overall avg or ideal 2hr40 MP+10%, avg HR 141 bpm/81%)
-- I'd planned the 5x0.5M and 10M mara effort because I was worried about my speed, but ad-libbed turning it into another overdistance run as my legs still felt fine after I passed 20 -- last chance for a bit though as I'll want to take it easier next week in prep for the Cambridge HM the week after (which I rehearsed again today in the 6.22). Just doing all this once reassures me that feeling sluggish during the higher miles isn't something I should panic about, and I may not do it again this campaign. Not so worried about speed now either. I will stick with some overdistance easy runs though -- looking back at 2010, it did come after some epic multi-hour (if very slow) runs in the Lakes. Today running a marathon felt totally normal and that's how I want it to be.

24/02/2013 at 11:44
Charlie, How far/fast will this afternoon's run be?
24/02/2013 at 11:59

LD -- I'm almost tempted to call your bluff But on my bike now to do a family shop at Tesco instead, as penance...

TR
24/02/2013 at 13:16

CW - race shoes in training, cant knock it as I do the same every long run, ha ha. I'd take a 2:53 on race day myself. I guess for you that confidence out weighs a full match box, but I wish you'd get some self confidence and then hang on it it for a while. Fitness doeasnt disappear over night. Not sure I'd do a full mara at about 10mins slower than race day in training myself.................actually I'm not sure that I could do it !

seems like I've spent too much virtual time with CW lately as I was only going to do an 8 or 10M today instead of an LSR as we had super early kick offs, and I thought I'd do something instead of nothing, ended up doing nothing intead of something and nothing ! thinking my knee would probably prefer a total rest day. 2 rest days in the last 5, after not having more than 1 (Christmas Day)  in the last few months, what a slacker !!!! Missing a long run would have given me the CW style wibbles a few years ago, but as I already have 3x20-22 I can see that it'll do me good.

24/02/2013 at 13:20

Yay!  CW's confidence is back  Nice training session, if not rather mind-boggling.

23M at a plodtastic 8.11m/m for me to round off what is probably the most poorly structured 70M training week I have ever done, namely: Mon pm: 6M easy; Tues/Weds: no running due to work; Thurs am: 8M steady; Thurs pm: 10M incl. 5M pb; Fri am: 15M steady; Sat am: 8M incl. 10 x 100m strides; (Sat pm: rehearsal + concert + beer...); Sun am: 23M...

24/02/2013 at 13:25
CW - looks like we ran completely different runs but ended up with pretty much identical outcomes. 26.37 @ 6.37m/m, heart rate of 120bpm haven't a clue what that means but it's 33 beats less per minute than bramley last week. Time for a beer.

Edit: nice long run Jools, and a good weeks total even if it has been slightly heavy at the back end.
Edited: 24/02/2013 at 13:26
TR
24/02/2013 at 13:25

Jools - execellent long run, unstructured is good sometimes, your body didnt know what was coming next, and still coped ok.

24/02/2013 at 14:41

Good to get the long run out of the way Jools off a funny old week.

Nice runs SL (you're a slow beater) and CW, I don't know how you did so few miles when you always seemed to post these monster runs.

Nice park run yesterday Marigold. The icing first is getting you quick so just some cake baking now.

TR -  If you don't get the sufficient training in you can join Dan A and me to help carry the lollipop. 

Had a couple of test runs since Wokingham one with a bit of pain and one without. Went out for a long one today to see if it reacted and wore my cushioned trainers to help. Ended up with 15 and slight ache under ball of foot for most of run which was manageable but got a bit more uncomfortable 2 miles from end as if there was a stone under my foot. Got an appointment with a podiatrist to see if he can help as I think it's a symptom of a bigger root cause with the foot bio-mechanics.
Too cold for cycling and have had enough of the cold weather. Thankfully this time next week I'll be in Lanzarote on a training week. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.